Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,806 members, 7,813,651 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent (792 Views)

Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord / Giving A Quit Notice To A Tenant. / When Is It Right For A Landlord To Give Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by suggyspic: 8:36pm On Jun 02, 2010
I happen to be the judge in this very issue, a land lord increased his rent to what is abtainable within the vicinity. hell was let loose as all his tenant conveyed to the landlords residence. The house in question is well furnished, wardropes, kitchen cabinets, water heater and a very large packing space with flower lanes. compared to other houses within the area, i would say its the best. The landlord called me to be a witness. In the process of the discussion i told the tenant about my dad whose tenants pay half the rent within the area and yet one of his tenant toke him to court when he asked him to live because his family would be moving over since he has retired. I asked the tenants.

when is the right time for the landlord to increase his rent?
if the time is right, would you as a tenant tell the landlord to increase his rent.

The law gives so much rights to the tenant.
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by Sissy3(f): 8:43pm On Jun 02, 2010
which person would tell his/her landlord, "dear landlord, i dont think we are paying enough for this apart. so i will rightfully suggest you increase my/our rent so that i/we can be paying you more" ? or is it that i dont understand the question here?

when is the right time for the landlord to increase his rent?
if the time is right, would you as a tenant tell the landlord to increase his rent.   
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by MrsOsewa: 9:46pm On Jun 02, 2010
LOL. Oyinbo ko easy! I think someone is finding it difficult to express himself. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by otokx(m): 10:13pm On Jun 02, 2010
In the last 24 hours yours truly have come across normal looking beautiful Nigerians who do not know how to express themselves in English and they are above 20. What is going on?

This poster should be banned from NAIRALAND for 6 months and not readmitted until he shows evidence of change.
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by MrsOsewa: 12:08am On Jun 03, 2010
otokx:

In the last 24 hours yours truly have come across normal looking beautiful Nigerians who do not know how to express themselves in English and they are above 20. What is going on?

This poster should be banned from NAIRALAND for 6 months and not readmitted until he shows evidence of change.

Hahaha! Otokx, that's harsh!
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by Bestglo(f): 11:15am On Jun 03, 2010
Mrs Osewa:

LOL. Oyinbo ko easy! I think someone is finding it difficult to express himself. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
u go fear fear now grin i thought i was the only one that failed to understand after reading twice undecided
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by invisible2(m): 11:20am On Jun 03, 2010
And this poster was the judge in this case? What an educated judge!
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by 28Schweet(f): 3:11pm On Jun 03, 2010
angry how ignorant, making fun of a person that can't express themselves in a 'foreign' tongue. how sad, truly sad.

@ poster, my question would be this, weren't there contracts signed, wasn't there notice given of the intention to increase the rent, the landlord should've given his tenant at least three months to accept the terms of the new tenancy conditions,i.e. increased rent,
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by Seun(m): 3:54pm On Jun 03, 2010
There's no relationship between the long story you gave us and the question you're asking.
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by Spyker: 4:06pm On Jun 03, 2010
Though the Poster presented the issue poorly, it is my understanding that what he meant in his question was "when is it right for a landlord to increase his rent and when the time comes, will the tenant inform the landlord that it is time to increase his rent".

Poster, try to present issues in a simply manner, no need to show off your blunders in English.
@Topic: The truth is that tenant NEVER ask for increase, even if the rent is free and the landlord is also covered by the law if he exploits the avenue that says "say a quit notice at least 6 or 3 months in advance".
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by swiftycool(m): 2:06am On Jun 04, 2010
@ poster. The problem your landlord is facing is due to a lack of documentation of any written contracted agreement with respect to the lease of the property. Every country has laws that govern the lease, rentage or hire of property, However this can be superseded when a contract of agreement of specific terms exists between the landlord and tenant duely authographed and copied to both parties in the presence of a solicitor, Agent, witness or NO ONE.

A lease period is simply the minimum period (months or years) of which the property is agreed to be let out by THE LANDLORD at a specific price under stated conditions which must be upheld by both parties. Within this period, the landlord has no right to change or add any new condition to the lease except if hitherto provided for by a clause in the agreement.

what all the jargon above simply means is that if a landlord accepts to rent out his property for a lease of say 5yrs at a certain price per month, the tenant will pay the same amount per month for the entire 5 years and the landlord can only change the conditions e.g increase the rent after those 5 years. hence increasing the rent abruptly b4 the end of this period contravenes the contract and here the Tenant can sue him. On the other hand the tenant is expected to have paid money for a month ahead in advance, and if he decides to opt out of the deal any time before the 5 years ends, he would have to give an advance notice of a month  if not would forfeit the money.

As per your question "when is it right for a landlord to increase his rent and when the time comes, will the tenant inform the landlord that it is time to increase his rent".
the landlord can only increase it after the initial lease period has ended with an advance period notice for which the tenant agrees or prepares to leave the property. if the landlord forgets to do this then and the lease ends the law of "tacit relocation" might come to play, which means that all initial conditions of the former lease will be re-asigned for the next 5yrs. a good lawyer can fight it out
hope this helps
cheers
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by AqRiUsAge(f): 2:11am On Jun 04, 2010
the thread's title is misleading. I think rent rate should be geared to the rate of similar apartments int he area
Re: Is It Right For A Tenant To Tell His Landlord To Increase His Rent by swiftycool(m): 2:34am On Jun 04, 2010
AqRiUs Age:

the thread's title is misleading. I think rent rate should be geared to the rate of similar apartments int he area

This is only due to ignorance of factors that influence price determination. A lease contract settles all, any landlord can put any price on a property no matter the area. The tenant is in a position to negotiate and agree or disagree at the beginning of  a new lease if  not happy he/she can leave or wait to be given a quit notice whereby the conditions of 3 to 6months as explained by Syker comes into play. many people get lucky only because landlords are ill informed about their rights, or because they have agreed to be monitored by a landlord association in the area, which is not compulsory as there are no legal straits to it

(1) (Reply)

Palatial, Stately Mansion For Sale In Jos,plateau Gra @n290 Million Naira. / We Sell And Transport Both Granite, Sharp Sand ,stone Dust Etc / Mini Flat, 2/3 Bed Room For Rent In Gbagada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.