Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,303 members, 7,819,026 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

6 Record Labels That ‘run’ Nigeria’s Music Industry - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 6 Record Labels That ‘run’ Nigeria’s Music Industry (951 Views)

Senator Dino Melaye Declares Davido As The 001 Of The Nigerian Music Industry / D'banj: "Yahoo Boys Own Most Of The New Generation Record Labels" / See The Top 6 Collaborations Yet To Happen In The Nigeria Music Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Record Labels That ‘run’ Nigeria’s Music Industry by adegoldop6: 9:48am On Jun 14, 2018
We live in an age where the power of traditional record
labels has waned significantly. These days, Nigerian
musicians operate in the music industry on their own with
backings of sponsors who remain quiet partners.
What led to the demise of record labels is a story for another
day. In this article, NAIJATOPMOST lists record labels that
are still active and whose musicians are at least ‘reigning.’
This is in no way a slight towards independent musicians.
This is just a way of celebrating those who feel the place of a
record label is not dead in the music industry.
1. DMW
Davido signing Mayorkun and Dremo to DMW (Image
courtesy Google)
Davido Music Worldwide was established in 2016 by popular
musician Davido who after setting up HKN Music with his
elder brother decided to create a label where he could make
all the decisions.
The label has since flourished in less than two years of its
existence.
In 2018, the label has been responsible for a large number of
hit songs released already. It is home to Davido, Dremo,
Yonda, Peruzzi, E-Cool, Mayorkun and most recently
Saucekid.
2. Mavin
Founded by record producer Don Jazzy in 2012, Mavin
records was born after Don Baba J split with his long-time
partner Dbanj.
Their record label Mo Hits’ wouldn’t survive the split hence
Don Jazzy founded Mavin with a number of acts including
Wande Coal, Dr Sid,
D’Prince and others.
This label has also enjoyed significant success in recent
times with its bevy of acts like Tiwa Savage, Korede Bello,
Reekado Banks, Di’Ja, Poe, Johnny Drille and DNA Twins.
3. Starboy
Home to popular musician Wizkid, this label was introduced
to Nigerians in 2013 after the dad of three left Banky W’s
See More......
http://naijatopmost.com.ng/entertainment/6-record-labels-run-nigerias-music-industry/
Re: 6 Record Labels That ‘run’ Nigeria’s Music Industry by Obainoneandonly(m): 10:12am On Jun 14, 2018
I don't know how they came with their conclusion, but I believe MAVIN is number 1

2 Likes

Re: 6 Record Labels That ‘run’ Nigeria’s Music Industry by Abascoh: 5:01pm On Jun 14, 2018
Obainoneandonly:
I don't know how they came with their conclusion, but I believe MAVIN is number 1
Absolutely correct!! Mavin is the best Music label in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 6 Record Labels That ‘run’ Nigeria’s Music Industry by derrydinny: 6:11pm On Jun 14, 2018
Obainoneandonly:
mavin has been relegated behind, only tiwa is making waves consistently, that mop stick head is unstable af, dmw na boss now, from davido to peruzzi to mayorkun to dremo to yonda to fresh. it is not easy for one record label to win next rated, song of the year, rookie in just one night na
Re: 6 Record Labels That ‘run’ Nigeria’s Music Industry by elgramz: 7:21pm On Jun 14, 2018
derrydinny:
mavin has been relegated behind, only tiwa is making waves consistently, that mop stick head is unstable af, dmw na boss now, from davido to peruzzi to mayorkun to dremo to yonda to fresh. it is not easy for one record label to win next rated, song of the year, rookie in just one night na
Get your facts right, DMW didn't win Rookie of the year at headies and all those name you're mentioning there are still upcoming only Davido and Mayorkun are up there with the best
Re: 6 Record Labels That ‘run’ Nigeria’s Music Industry by derrydinny: 9:25pm On Jun 14, 2018
elgramz:

Get your facts right, DMW didn't win Rookie of the year at headies and all those name you're mentioning there are still upcoming only Davido and Mayorkun are up there with the best
oh mistake but when was the last time a mavin artiste gave a hit aside tiwa? dmw be topping music charts that some think davido is involved in jazz and stuffs
Re: 6 Record Labels That ‘run’ Nigeria’s Music Industry by Bluezy13(m): 10:30pm On Jun 14, 2018
Hmmm...
Those two posters above me don chop bellefull

(1) (Reply)

See Photo Of Catholic Priest And His Muslim Mum Go Viral / Keyshia Ka'oir Strikes Seductive Poses On Her Husband Gucci Mane[photos] / Adorable Photo Of Omoni Oboli, Uche Jumbo, Chioma Akpotha, Chigul & Ufuoma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.