Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,619 members, 7,770,648 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:28 PM

Running Two Operating Systems On One PC - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Running Two Operating Systems On One PC (14510 Views)

Best Hacking Operating Systems /os / Best Hacking Operating Systems / Is It Possible To Install Two Operating Systems On A Single Computer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by robby1(m): 12:29pm On Mar 22, 2007
Please can anyone put me through the process of running two OS on my pc? i want to run linux(ubuntu or any other) and windows and i don't know how to go about it. Someone told me something about partitioning my hard disk but what is it all about?
n/b
i have a 100gb hard disk space and a 1024ram.
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by sbucareer(f): 9:12pm On Mar 24, 2007

Partition your hard drive into two or three different entities using fdisk command from Windows or using Partition Manager if you have one.

Make sure you install windows first, starting from their oldest version i.e. 95, 95SE, 95ME, 2000, XP, 2003 and Vista. If you install the older version and pop in a new version it will offer you to upgrade or clean installation, choose clean installation. During the process choose the partition to use and making note of the partition

Finally, install any Unix file system by choosing the partition other than the current installed on. Although some unix file system will tell you which file system is already in use but don't count on it.

You can choose to boot from a floppy or create a boot record on the file system, which either one you chose will potentially depends on your installation process.

Warning, you must be familiar with Windows file systems i.e. FAT/FAT32, NTFS and WinFS etc to understand which partition the boot record should be.

If you are going to install any 64-bits operating system particularly with windows, use WinFS filing System. It is the new generation filing system.

If you also plan to install 64-bits UNIX operating system use the new revised UFS system  or FFS.

Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by cocoon(m): 10:51pm On Mar 24, 2007
Or better still. Partition ur disk into 4 . C,D,E,F
install widows xp on C
Install ubuntu on E and F
E for the root
F for the swap

have a nice day
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by robby1(m): 9:14am On Mar 25, 2007
thanks sbucareer. This looks like a though job though cheesy
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by Icon(m): 11:16pm On Mar 25, 2007
First decide which OS will be the host and which will be the guest. Then google, you'll find many answers.
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by roflmao: 4:38am On Mar 26, 2007
sbucareer pretty much laid it down. My only additions:

1. Repeating sbucareer's comments: You MUST install Windows first.
2. I see you have quite a large disk space so sizing the partitions shouldn't be too hard but things depend on how you use your machines. My point is that since both cannot access each other's file system where you keep your personal files and data is important. I run Vista and Ubuntu and although I use Ubuntu more often sometimes I'll need to work on Vista. To address the situation I have a separate FAT32 partition where I store my personal stuff which allows me to access(i.e Read + Write) my stuff independently of which OS I'm running but this is my setting. Handling FAT32 file systen is a well implemented in both. You may choose to set up your differently. Linux can access NTFS with Read access and although there are third party plug-ins to allow write access I WOULD NOT recommend it. Windows cannot access Ext2/Ext3 (Linux's file system) naturally but there is a third party plug-in(which I also have installed and use sometimes grin) that allows you Read and Write access to your Linux partition and although I haven't had or heard it misbehave I still wouldn't recommend it.

Overall partitions is a very tricky area that you should tread carefully unless you have good experience and knowledge on them, and even if you do you should still play safe. A rule of thumb is that you have a back-up of what's most important to you externally because you may have to re-install some thing, some time when things to wrong. If you use you Windows more often and Linux sparingly then you may simply keep your stuff on your Windows partition and mount NTFS whenever you boot into Linux. If you're using Linux more often then I'll assume you're a Linux head and I need say no more. grin
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by krysto(m): 10:26am On Mar 26, 2007
kudos to sbucareer,cocoon,icon, & rof-imao,they have said it all.but if u dont have the prerequisite experience,contact system engineer close to u to put u through.
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by robby1(m): 11:48am On Mar 26, 2007
Icon:

First decide which OS will be the host and which will be the guest. Then google, you'll find many answers.

I want linux as the guest OS, cos i am still learning it.

krysto:

kudos to sbucareer,cocoon,icon, & rof-imao,they have said it all.but if u don't have the prerequisite experience,contact system engineer close to u to put u through.

Thanks but i will rather do it on my own and learn

@rof-lmao
Thanks a lot. wink
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by Tornadoz(m): 11:58am On Mar 26, 2007
You can do it, just google "partition tutorial with fdisk" or something like that. In 1-3hrs you should know how to partition. If you are lazy grab partition magic off a torrent. If you don't know what a torrent is, google it.
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by drgamz(m): 3:45pm On Mar 26, 2007
I will suggest going for a virtualisation-based solution as this also allows you to run the
second OS in a virtual terminal. This is the latest trend in running multiple OS on a single
Host

The two big players are VMware and Apple Parallels. I have a Windows XP PRO notebook
and run Ubuntu in a VMware Workstation. You can readily switch/ share resources
such as USB, CD-ROM etc between your Virtual OS and your underlining OS.

More information can be gotten from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware

http://www.vmware.com/
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by ObaMan(m): 3:56pm On Mar 27, 2007
How can i install win 98 with win xp?
win xp is already installed.
Please advise?
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by Enigma2k4: 11:59am On Mar 28, 2007
I don't see the need to go back to Win 98, you can do it from Win XP.

I'd recommend you download Dualboot, it's a free program and it works really well.

Be careful which filesystem you format your different partitions too, NTFS, FAT32 etc.
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by ObaMan(m): 10:16am On Mar 29, 2007
i have a flash disk which has a privacy password that encrypts about 220 mb of 256mb.
I wrongly formatted the disk and now i have only 25mb to use.
I have the software to regain it but it will only run on win 98.
What do u think?
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by Muza(m): 3:51pm On Nov 08, 2008
I'd suggest u use vmware.with vmware u can run multiple operating systems on ur pc.No need to partition ur hard disk.
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by LUDALOOLO(m): 12:13pm On Nov 11, 2008
I suggest you try and install vmware you can download it online or if you live around surulere i can help you with it, call 08026604109
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by chris08: 11:33am On Mar 06, 2009
i have same issue with robby.i just both a laptop early this year with vista as OS though i need an application that does not support vista.
i've been reading your advises but frankly speaking i dont know much about pc. can you give me an advise as to who to contact to help me
install 2 OS in my laptop.Vista and XP, greatly appreciate any help
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by LUDALOOLO(m): 2:10pm On Mar 06, 2009
@ chris holla @ me i will get it done 4 u. 08026604109 or 07025143249
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by esquire(m): 6:03pm On Mar 07, 2009
ObaMan:

i have a flash disk which has a privacy password that encrypts about 220 mb of 256mb.
I wrongly formatted the disk and now i have only 25mb to use.
I have the software to regain it but it will only run on win 98.
What do u think?

If you're using linux as that is very easy with Gparted with allows you to delete the file system of the flash and also allow you to use other file system such as ext3 or ext2 on the flash which will restore back your flash.

@subcareer
Nice tutorial but this long and geek stuff will scare a chronic noob, but to me its just the best way thru.

OR
As subcareer said earlier install windows first then get tools like partition magic and shrink your hardisk to assuming you want 20gb for linux out of the 100gb then shrink your drive to bring out that 20gb you want and leave it raw and boot from linux and lunch the installer and choose use largest continuous free space voila thats it. There are other method . Good luck

@subcareer
Long time
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by bigrovar(m): 8:02pm On Mar 07, 2009
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by beejaei: 5:56am On Mar 15, 2010
Hello all. I already have the two operating systems installed but I want to delete the UNIX. How do I go about it?
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:50pm On Mar 15, 2010
naturally, i presume the other os is windows?

well if that is so, removing the other os may be as simple as just formatting the partition!! no big deal.
BUT THE PRIMARY QUESTION IS WHAT BOOTLOADER ARE U USING?

are you using grub? or the windows boot loader?
if you are using grub, then u need to have a windows operating system cd handy, because after formatting the partition, you will need to repair the bootloader with the windows bootloader. (you do that by running fixmbr in command ternimal after booting the os cd, OR much easier just choose the repair option from the cd menu dialog.

because windows does not normally handle ext partitions, the installation disk will come in handy as when you run the cd, when you get to the disk partitioner, you will see the ext partition listed as unknown or raw partition, u can thn format it.

or even easier, use gparted or partition magic. gparted comes with most new unix os like ubuntu, when you boot them in live user mode(DO NOT MOUNT A PARTITION YOU WANT TO FORMAT OR YOUR ALLOCATION TABLES MAY BE MESSED UP) gparted or other standalone partition tools are the easiest way anyway.

Sorry am not too concise or clear, teaching has never been my strong point, grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Running Two Operating Systems On One PC by sylprose2(m): 10:38am On Apr 13, 2012
Friend here I am going to talk about "Dual Boot" in my ways, How I learnt and did.

Dual Boot means, you have Two Operating Systems in one Pc. You have to select which operating system to boot up with at Start Up.

Other option is to use a Virtual Machine. In this process, you will be able to run one operating system within the other one. The plus point of using virtual machine is, you can run both OS at the same time. But for this you need a powerful PC at last Dual Core or higher and 2 GB of RAM or higher.
Suppose you have Xp instead on your Pc and want to install Windows 7 on you present System volume without losing any files. Follow the steps below:

***Make sure that the CD/DVD drive is selected first in the boot order in the BIOS. Insert your Windows 7 boot disk and boot in command prompt mood.

*** Shrink The XP Volume( System Volume):
*Type "diskpart" on command prompt and Press Enter.
*Type "list volume" and press Enter to see the Partitions List.
*Type "select volume #" ( # = Volume number) and press Enter to select a volume.
*Type "shrink querymax" and press Enter.
*Now type the amount of MB you want to "Shrink desired=#" ( # = amount of MB) and Enter.
*Type "exit" and press Enter.
Note: 1024 MB = 1 GB, Windows 7 will need a minimum of 16 GB ( 16384 MB).

*** Now complete setup and restart your PC to have the option to boot from Earlier Version of Windows ( Windows Xp) or Windows 7.
If it is only booting Windows 7 automatically and do not show Windows Xp listed in the Windows Boot Manager, then you can try any boot manager software to add Windows Xp in Windows Boot Manager.

(1) (Reply)

Important Safety Recall Information From HP / Do I Really Need An Antivirus For Windows 8.1? / How Do I Remove This Virus "ahsan Mana Khan Bhutta" From My System?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.