Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,061 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Red Cards and World Cup Officiating - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Red Cards and World Cup Officiating (17987 Views)

Gary Neville Says Premier League Must Learn Officiating From AFCON / Players With Most Red Cards In PL History: Vieira 2nd With 8, Gerrard In Top 20 / Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by gerrardomendes(m): 8:56am On Jun 16, 2018
Bullhari007:
the greatest redcard of them all, will be 2019 when Nigerians will give the Fulani president red card... back to Daura

In honorable Essien Ayi's voice. "I concur"
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by Ologogoro: 8:56am On Jun 16, 2018
Caseless:
lahm isn't a natural defender. He's a right foot too, but was used as a left back. The idea of a "right back or left back" started with lahm. What we used to have was permanent 2 or 3 as defenders.

What matters most is that he played as a defender
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by Caseless: 9:00am On Jun 16, 2018
Ologogoro:

What matters most is that he played as a defender
true
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 9:01am On Jun 16, 2018
princeade86:
my own is that what is d usefulness of VAR when Diego costa foul on pepe before his goal can stand even when protested.

Thank you for bringing this up. That goal is synonymous with the Messi goal in the second leg of Elclasico.

I think there's still more that needs to be done in that regard.
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by Nobody: 9:02am On Jun 16, 2018
Vision2045:
Hope what dis Pig heard is not , Pick 4 Teams with the best jersey

No Spain
No Portugal
With kind of yesterday quality from both side
Them go sell the pig for suya last last ni.

By the way, was there any video of the pig actually doing the do. The pics circulating around may end up being something else misinterpreted.

1 Like

Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 16, 2018
isalegan2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c17aeF7JxAg

Brilliant! Oscar, please! cheesy I totally did not rememver that one. A ball to the elbow, and he grabs his face and head like a sniper nailed him.

Mumu actor, the ball hit his leg then he started grabbing his face. Lol
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by Nobody: 9:08am On Jun 16, 2018
Costa's elbow chop on Pepe's throat just before his goal was a foul, the goal shouldn't have stood.
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by femi4: 9:41am On Jun 16, 2018
Few people will remember this:
Its called mistaken identity
It happened in USA 94

Sunday Oliseh was awarded a yellow card instead of the culprit Eguavon
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by Deiok(m): 10:00am On Jun 16, 2018
i`m following..

1 Like

Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by CAPSLOCKED: 10:29am On Jun 16, 2018
isalegan2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c17aeF7JxAg

Brilliant! Oscar, please! cheesy I totally did not rememver that one. A ball to the elbow, and he grabs his face and head like a sniper nailed him.

GREATEST SCREENPLAY OF ALL TIME.

1 Like

Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by whiteTORTIISE(m): 10:36am On Jun 16, 2018
Ologogoro:
Philip Lahm was a defender during his playing days and was never given a red card and here we have Balotelli a striker..

Segio Ramos hold the world record for RED CARDS.
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by ABDULSODEEQ(m): 10:48am On Jun 16, 2018
isalegan2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcAH4Qm5M84

England have no luck. Chei!
ki
Damn!!! This lampard own is too bad ooooo!!!
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by dcolumbus001: 10:55am On Jun 16, 2018
isalegan2:
Below, list of Yellow cards so far. No Reds.

Of course a second Yellow typically means a Red. Not sure if it's going to be immediate or after the match this time. There's been some occasional tweaking in every other FIFA tournaments over the years by the ogas at the top.undecided

which app is this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by Ologogoro: 11:15am On Jun 16, 2018
whiteTORTIISE:

Segio Ramos hold the world record for RED CARDS.
You didn't get what am trying to say, Lahm is a defender, Balotelli a striker
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by Emeka71(m): 11:45am On Jun 16, 2018
isalegan2:
Red cards tend to be highly controversial, Yellows less so.

Let's discuss all the cards issued from June 14 to final match in this World Cup.

Also, some very controversial cards, and referee calls from previous World Cups are:

- All the cards issued in Netherlands-Portugal match in WC2006. Actually that entire match was indescribable. shocked embarassed The referee lost his damn mind!

- The controversial call against Italy in the WC2010(Euro2008 - actually) Netherlands-Italy match where Dutch striker Van Nistelrooy scored a goal when they were all clustered at the Italy box. Remember goalkeeper Gianluco Buffon throwing out his own defender like yesterday's trash? shocked

Just a taste off the top of my head. Lots more controversial calls will come to mind.

Please post the ones you recall or want to discuss and, most important. . .

Keep posting about current RED Cards, YELLOW Cards, REFEREE, LINESMEN, FIFA and other OFFICIATING matters.

I don't believe there has been a red card yet in the last 4 matches so far but there have been yellows. I will post a list shortly.

P.S. Edited for mis-remembering Euro2008 for WC2010.
Ariel Ortega in France 98 when Holland played Argentina.
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by kingDELE(m): 1:01pm On Jun 16, 2018
umtiti deserves a yellow card 4 dat hand ball that led to penalty
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by simiolu1(m): 1:09pm On Jun 16, 2018
Caseless:
lahm isn't a natural defender. He's a right foot too, but was used as a left back. The idea of a "right back or left back" started with lahm. What we used to have was permanent 2 or 3 as defenders.

Bros, if you say the idea of a right back or left back started with Lahm, where did you put Cafu and Roberto Carlos of Brazil?

Lahm was a left footer who used to play as a right back then later became a left back. Shikena.

Saying that the idea of right or left back started with him is a disrespect to people like Carlos, Cafu, Ramos (who started his career as a right back), Puyol (he too used to be a right back before becoming a central defender), Lizarazu, Thuram, and even Babayaro plus a host of other players I can't remember right now.

All these players I mentioned were defenders and also threats going forward. Lahm was not the first; there were many before him.

1 Like

Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by Sezua(m): 3:20pm On Jun 16, 2018
kingDELE:
umtiti deserves a yellow card 4 dat hand ball that led to penalty
Nope, in the new rules, yellows are served for penalties.
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by Sezua(m): 3:21pm On Jun 16, 2018
simiolu1:

Bros, if you say the idea of a right back or left back started with Lahm, where did you put Cafu and Roberto Carlos of Brazil?

Lahm was a left footer who used to play as a right back then later became a left back. Shikena.

Saying that the idea of right or left back started with him is a disrespect to people like Carlos, Cafu, Ramos (who started his career as a right back), Puyol (he too used to be a right back before becoming a central defender), Lizarazu, Thuram, and even Babayaro plus a host of other players I can't remember right now.

All these players I mentioned were defenders and also threats going forward. Lahm was not the first; there were many before him.
I was about to say this, Lizarazu was a beast at going forward, guy deserves more accolades than he gets.
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by isalegangan: 5:45pm On Jun 16, 2018
Naija's Red Card in 2010. shocked

Not a controversial decision but certainly shocking.

Sani Kaita got beat up pretty good by the fans. Poor guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1ExbXuWNug

1 Like

Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by isalegangan: 6:57pm On Jun 16, 2018
Wrong thread.
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by isalegangan: 7:16pm On Jun 16, 2018
-
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by isalegangan: 7:28pm On Jun 16, 2018
- -
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by kingDELE(m): 9:59pm On Jun 16, 2018
Sezua:

Nope, in the new rules, yellows are served for penalties.
u wrong man. a Nigerian player was given yellow card and a penalty was awarded
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by Sezua(m): 12:54pm On Jun 17, 2018
kingDELE:
u wrong man. a Nigerian player was given yellow card and a penalty was awarded
I said yellow cards are given for penalties and not red. Read to comprehend.
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by isalegangan: 3:11pm On Jun 18, 2018
That penalty awardedin the second half leading to Sweden's I-0 against South Korea. I know the VAR was used but I still say the Korean defender got the ball first but the Swedish attacker fell only because it was the penalty area.

The Korean dude got the ball! It's not his fault the Swede chose to not stay on his feet!

But the referee had no choice. undecided

Did you also notice the Koreans were on the counterattack and were about to score when the play was stopped?

You can see in the photo below. The referee saw the incident but did not stop play, despite Swedish player's simulation and scrunged up face! Play had turned around and was already at Korea box before referee stopped it when the Swedish coach was causing a commotion back in the technical area. Then VAR was used.

Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by isalegangan: 4:31pm On Jun 18, 2018
Nigeria's next match is on Friday. Were gonna keep watching to the end. smiley I'm still hopeful we get to round of 16 or at least the team proves themselves and earn respect for participating. cool

Viva Naijiria!
Re: Red Cards and World Cup Officiating by bazkid24(m): 1:24pm On Jul 06, 2018
Nini1, I didn't get your pm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Africa Will Have 3 Teams In The Knock-out Stage For The First Time In FIFAWWC / Is Nwankwo Kanu From Okija In Anambra State??? / Leave Me Alone, Keshi Tells Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.