Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 - Sports (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 (36541 Views)

Denmark Vs Australia World Cup 2018 - Rare Historic Match. See Why / Denmark Vs Australia: World Cup (1 - 1) On 21st June 2018 / Nigeria Vs Croatia: World Cup - 0 - 2 On 16th June 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by gamechanger1: 1:27pm On Jun 16, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Winning World Cup doesn't makes one great, contributions to the tournament do.

Spain won the WC in 2010 but Forlan whose country came 4th won the Best Player of the tournament award and Messi whose country crashed in Quarter final won the Player of the year.

Greece won Euro Cup in 2004 yet not a single one of them were contenders for European best or World best. Nedved, whose country crashed out in the Semis won European Best that year and Ronaldinho world best.

Performance of individuals makes a player great.

I think iniesta deserved to win that years ballon d or but I agree with the point you raised
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by henrixx(m): 1:28pm On Jun 16, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

you may have a point tho, but then we can also argue that the defenders of yesteryears was more brutal and rugged than defender of today.

How many quality defenders can you call now. Trying to score 30goals in series A in those days was a big fit, the likes of nesta maldini, Lucio will cripple ya legs! Now higuain is doing it like its no mans business.

Ronaldo de Lima tried to do, and he was sentenced to a long term injury. You may say attackers got better, but I can say defenders got weaker.
football now is not as strong as before when you talk defensively..there is much emphasis on attack. Currently in the world only two worthy defenders still exist. Ramos and Terry.rest are bunch of inconsistencies. If Ronaldo lima nd co play in this generation they will do the same as Messi and ronaldo
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 1:33pm On Jun 16, 2018
izzou:

What wing does Markarfi play?

Shengbele grin grin grin
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by CSTR1003: 1:43pm On Jun 16, 2018
Watch Ronaldo de Lima in the 2006 world cup I think.

See the way he destroyed the Ghanaian goal keeper with just a simple elegant step overs 1-2-3.

When you watch such beauty from the undisputed world best of that era, then you know how mechanical and boringly Scientific ,football has become nowadays.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by AkpaMgbor(m): 1:46pm On Jun 16, 2018
LordAdamX:

CR7 and Messi played with peak Kaka, Rivaldo, Ronaldiinho, Robinho, Raul, Henry, Ibrahimovich, Figo, Raul.

And we have their own A-list--Neymar, Hazard, Griezmann, Dembele, Mbappe, Iniesta, Isco, Xavi, Ribery, Schweinsteiger...

The difference is that unlike then, CR7 and Messi have longevity. If El Fenemeno didn't have his injury, he'd have had at least 5 Ballon D'Ors. If CR7 and Messi were playing with any of the other greats, they'd all share the Ballon D'Ors. So it'll be a three-way or four-way street instead of the two-way street that it is now.

CR7 and Messi play like gods every season (except a season when either has an injury which is rare). Now whoever wins the most prestigious trophies get the Ballon D'Or. It'd have been the same if El Fenemeno or Pele or Maradona was competing now.

Football didn't go down, you couldn't have asked for a better rivalry than CR7 and Messi in modern times. Heck Pele and Maradona didn't play at the same time, yet see how tumultuous their rivalry is. CR7 and Messi have been very professional about theirs even though they take each others Ballon D'Or. Both are breaking records every match they play in. It's unreal.

-Lord
cr7 and messi are physically better players than Maradona and Pele...todays footballers are faster, stronger, more adept at reading the game and have better nutrition and physios..today's footballer is all round better than players in the 60s, 70s and 80s..even slightly better than those in the 90s..
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by AkpaMgbor(m): 1:52pm On Jun 16, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

you may have a point tho, but then we can also argue that the defenders of yesteryears was more brutal and rugged than defender of today.

How many quality defenders can you call now. Trying to score 30goals in series A in those days was a big fit, the likes of nesta maldini, Lucio will cripple ya legs! Now higuain is doing it like its no mans business.

Ronaldo de Lima tried to do, and he was sentenced to a long term injury. You may say attackers got better, but I can say defenders got weaker.
this is a big misconception..we always think that the yesteryears were better in all aspects of life..but the truth is that today's defenders are quicker and stronger than those in the past..guys like Ronaldo will run circles round defenders 20 years ago.
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by engrjacuzzi: 1:55pm On Jun 16, 2018
sharpwriter:
I hope it won't be Onazi grin
my brother you are saying my mind

1 Like

Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by SportsHD: 1:55pm On Jun 16, 2018
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jun 16, 2018
LordAdamX:

CR7 and Messi played with peak Kaka, Rivaldo, Ronaldiinho, Robinho, Raul, Henry, Ibrahimovich, Figo, Raul.

And we have their own A-list--Neymar, Hazard, Griezmann, Dembele, Mbappe, Iniesta, Isco, Xavi, Ribery, Schweinsteiger...

The difference is that unlike then, CR7 and Messi have longevity. If El Fenemeno didn't have his injury, he'd have had at least 5 Ballon D'Ors. If CR7 and Messi were playing with any of the other greats, they'd all share the Ballon D'Ors. So it'll be a three-way or four-way street instead of the two-way street that it is now.

CR7 and Messi play like gods every season (except a season when either has an injury which is rare). Now whoever wins the most prestigious trophies get the Ballon D'Or. It'd have been the same if El Fenemeno or Pele or Maradona was competing now.

Football didn't go down, you couldn't have asked for a better rivalry than CR7 and Messi in modern times. Heck Pele and Maradona didn't play at the same time, yet see how tumultuous their rivalry is. CR7 and Messi have been very professional about theirs even though they take each others Ballon D'Or. Both are breaking records every match they play in. It's unreal.

-Lord

Ronaldo and Messi are at the highest peak of human level. Most humans don't achieve their peak, highest level of IQ and most use of talent.

But these two are at peak of human capacity. They can't be gods. We are only regular humans while they are peak humans. Humans don't use 40percent of their brain or talent.

Ronaldo and Messi use about 80percent. Extra ordinary thing to do.
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by izzou(m): 2:03pm On Jun 16, 2018
ADENIKETINA2015:

Shengbele grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by yorex2011: 2:12pm On Jun 16, 2018
We go fit play this iceland so
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by LORDofODDS(m): 2:15pm On Jun 16, 2018
seunny4lif:
I tell you
his learning from his mentor
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by Ruddyk9: 2:17pm On Jun 16, 2018
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by yorex2011: 2:19pm On Jun 16, 2018
Aguero WTF!!
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by MrDojo(m): 2:45pm On Jun 16, 2018
FoolishBoy419:

Messi and ronaldo dominating the likes of pele? I dont think so. They can at best be put on the same level

Let's agree to disagree brother smiley
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by MrDojo(m): 2:47pm On Jun 16, 2018
jtwest:

Footy has changed from technicality and skills, to speed and stamina, you can see that ronaldo's skill has reduced sef

cheesy grin there are still a lot of skillful players in this gen na... Omo CR7 no send skills again ooo ( more than 5yrs now) who skills help grin cheesy
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by MrDojo(m): 2:48pm On Jun 16, 2018
Sirfeeking:

Though I'm a big fan of Messi and CR7 but the bolded is a lie.The guy you quoted has said it all.

grin grin let's agree to disagree brother grin
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by oshe11: 2:52pm On Jun 16, 2018
Kenturkey048:
messi and c.ronaldo played handball
You are too daft to comprehend
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by seemples(f): 2:57pm On Jun 16, 2018
Naijal:

check nairatv website.
Thank me later

Thank you!!!
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by ovcwality(m): 3:04pm On Jun 16, 2018
Sirfeeking:

Though I'm a big fan of Messi and CR7 but the bolded is a lie.The guy you quoted has said it all.
Guy STP saying they wudnt be dominant, do u know DAT in other sport that is measurable like swimming nd races modern athletes keep breaking previous ones, why u dey underrate them na bcuz dey never bcom history, just wait till u tell or children abt Messi nd ronaldo. Meanwhile enjoy them while they last shall
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by ovcwality(m): 3:08pm On Jun 16, 2018
AkpaMgbor:

cr7 and messi are physically better players than Maradona and Pele...todays footballers are faster, stronger, more adept at reading the game and have better nutrition and physios..today's footballer is all round better than players in the 60s, 70s and 80s..even slightly better than those in the 90s..
I no even reach una place b4 I reply DAT guy, dem dey think say bcuz those ones played in in the 60's nd 80's it means they are better
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by flamingREED(m): 3:22pm On Jun 16, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

What did they win? How many goals did they score combined?

FACT is this present RM squad beat those you mentioned.

I love Zoozoo, Figo (his wonders in Euro 2000) and Makalele (the most underrated DM as at then) but them no reach boys of today biko

I forgot to mention David Beckham.

Win then?

When football was real war?
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by jtwest(m): 3:28pm On Jun 16, 2018
MrDojo:

cheesy grin there are still a lot of skillful players in this gen na... Omo CR7 no send skills again ooo ( more than 5yrs now) who skills help grin cheesy
My point exactly but if u look at the likes of zidane, okocha, ronaldinho, pirlo, ibrahimovich even iniesta and others, they do not run fast but however u want to be dribbled they will serve you grin.
I think people that recognize talents have shifted focus, look at sane,sterling, bale, salah, rashford and others, so much speed but can u classify them with likes of raul, figo, henry? U av to agree the standard of the game has reduced.

1 Like

Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by Sirfeeking(m): 3:28pm On Jun 16, 2018
safarigirl:
not totally

Messi and CR7 are dominating in a time of offside calls and many more changes to football. Most of these old time players may have had fancy foot work, but add all the little rules developed over time and you will see that they may not have scored as much goals or dominated as much.

And now that you add things like VAR and goal like technology, you find that football is a lot more difficult than it used to be
You really made a good point but let me ask you a question;let's imagine David Beckham,Luis Figo,Cristiano Ronaldo,Rivaldo,Zidane,Messi,Nedved,York,Cantona,Ronaldinho,Bergkamp etc are all playing for two different clubs at the same era.Do you think Messi and Cristiano could dominate for so long as they are currently doing.
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by Daeylar(f): 3:30pm On Jun 16, 2018
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by Sirfeeking(m): 3:30pm On Jun 16, 2018
ovcwality:

Guy STP saying they wudnt be dominant, do u know DAT in other sport that is measurable like swimming nd races modern athletes keep breaking previous ones, why u dey underrate them na bcuz dey never bcom history, just wait till u tell or children abt Messi nd ronaldo. Meanwhile enjoy them while they last shall
Ok noted
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by Daeylar(f): 3:30pm On Jun 16, 2018
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by Kenturkey048(m): 3:32pm On Jun 16, 2018
oshe11:
You are too daft to comprehend
okay..thanks.
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by blizzers(m): 3:33pm On Jun 16, 2018
olaniputu:
[s][/s]
you don't know anything about football
that Messi and Ronaldo are great doesn't mean there are no world class players
do you know that[s] this generation has more talented footballers than those players you mentioned[/s].
the reason it doesn't seem so to you because you're privileged to be watching them weekly
next generation will count football stars of our generation and tire

kiss the truth

TonyeBarcanista go to politics section angry

This generation has more average players. This is just a fact. I don`t need to say much cos i no get power for argument.
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by olaniputu: 3:37pm On Jun 16, 2018
[s]
blizzers:

This generation has more average players. This is just a fact. I don`t need to say much cos i no get power for argument.

[/s]
because you know you're talking claptrap grin
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by blizzers(m): 3:38pm On Jun 16, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Perhaps Maradona but others, FALSE.

Messi and C. Ronaldo played in the "days' of Ronaldinho and partly Zidane and Ronaldo and both of them shone.

You forget that Ronaldo and Messi trailed Kaka in Fifa award in 2007 and they started winning since 2008 (when Ronaldinho) was still at his peak in Barca.

Frank Ribery, Wesley Sneider, Zlantan Ibrahimnovic, Thierry Henry, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquet, Alonso, Aguero, Lahm, Schweinstiger etc are all in the same league with Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Kaka and Rivaldo but Messi and Cristiano are just so classy that these greats were outshined.

Only Maradona that would have given those two guys a great challenge.

Zidane and ribery and other in the same class? SMH. Perhaps you forgotten so soon how good Zidane was. Your opinion though. Noted
Re: France Vs Australia: World Cup 2018, (2 - 1) On 16th June 2018 by blizzers(m): 3:39pm On Jun 16, 2018
olaniputu:
[s][/s]
because you know you're talking claptrap grin

Thanks. You try

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

FA Cup Fifth Round Draws / Footballer Chichi Igbo In Panties / Sheikh Mansour Attended First Man City Match Since 2010 As He Watched UCL Finals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.