Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,874 members, 7,810,330 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:12 AM

Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B (3610 Views)

Nigeria In The World-cup Group F With Argentina, Iran and Bosnia Herzegovina / Teams You Would Want Nigeria To Face At The World Cup Group Stages? / World Cup Group B Unpredictable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by honeric01(m): 8:32am On Jun 08, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

Honeric

the bottom line is REGARDLESS of how well we have prepared or not NIGERIA has some memorable moments to refer to . . .

What has agegrade got to do with this argument ?

I don't understand you, what did you mean by the bolded sentence? undecided

@V3
Pls remove Mikel from the players to watch for Nigeria, you can have him replaced by someone else (maybe Haruna).
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by chelseabmw(m): 1:31am On Jun 09, 2010
Up we go.Nigeria make us proud
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by Tcrack(m): 7:19am On Jun 09, 2010
i really hope the eagles will not put me to shame because i have made too much mouth. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by tayo4me(f): 11:37am On Jun 09, 2010
Dont worry, they wont put us to shame. They shall succeed by God's grace
Tcrack:

i really hope the eagles will not put me to shame because i have made too much mouth. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by ikekalu(m): 12:12pm On Jun 09, 2010
the super eagles I know will never beat Argentina, sure,highest gamb Draw,
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by Sagamite(m): 1:18pm On Jun 09, 2010
Has anyone noticed how Yakubu is looking very gymed up?
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by chukilo: 3:11pm On Jun 09, 2010
Altitude training? haven't heard that mentioned once since we got to SA, other teams eg England have been talking about the effect of altitude and it's draining effect on stamina and recovery, r we gonna get to the world stage then run out of gas? na wao!
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jun 09, 2010
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXzXsdZJ5AQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1[/flash]

thats what we are up against
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by marutimon: 5:38pm On Jun 09, 2010
My rundown of the game:
NIGERIA - ARGENTINA
12.05.2010 - 16:00

One of two big matches on Saturday (the second being USA vs England). I expect a shock in at least one game.

Argentina first XI has supposedly leaked and I must say it looks relatively good for Nigeria. Their are no surprises up front - we all know that whatever Maradona does the attack formation will kick ass - Messi, Tevez, Higuain backed by di Maria and the somewhat slow but still creative Veron. That said the back four is looking extremely vulnerable from fast strikers that Nigeria do possess in abundancy. The back four is to be guarded by an out of form Mascherano, who can be a penalty or red-card liability. Apart from superb (possibly best defender in the world?) Samuel we have a decent right back in Gutierrez, who will however expose the back due to his forward runs (albeit even if he is their at the back he doesn't give a lot of good cover defensively), as well as the incomprehensibly slow Demichelis and the slight faster Heinze at left-back. Heinze is decent defensively, but is often unable to cope with the pacier wingers and strikers. Teaming up with Demichelis it is an opportunity begging to be used. Taking that into account a fast winger on the right can and probably will break through on more than one occasion giving Nigeria opportunities to score.

But that's about as good as it gets for Nigeria. I can't see the Nigerian defence cope with Argentina anywhere on the field - be it through the middle or from the wings. That said they will probably outmuscle the Argentinians from setpieces (if they are able to take out Higuain) and most of Argentine's opportunities will probably come from open play.

The loss of Obi Mikel is especially hurtful in this opening game, as he is reliable as a DM and would offer significant hope of disrupting the flow of the Argentine midfield. The backups in Etuhu or Kaita are decent, but I don't see them performing against Messi,

The back four is another issue of contention. Their leftback Taye Taiwo is arguably the only world class player in the squad, but he has been dire for his country and nowhere near the defensive stallwart he has been for years for Marseille. If he ups his game and the defensive midfielders fill in for him properly when he does his forward runs he could minimalize the threat from Gutierrez and maybe put some dent into Messi's confidence. Doubtful, but one can always hope. Chidi Odiah is good, but again nothing that will frighten players like di Maria and expect Odiah to be left dumbfounded more than once. That leaves the center two - a two that have to be strong, fast and reliable. All Nigerian defenders are definitely strong, but the other two characteristics are not in Shittu's or Yobo's list of strengths. Adeleye and Afolabi could possibly fit the needs perfectly - Adeleye was great as a defender at the Olympics, whilst Afolabi has been a reliable defender for years, Somehow I don't believe Lagerback will bench Yobo, so the back four will have more leaks than necessary.

That leaves us with the strike force, Martins, Yakubu, Kalu Uche, Obasi, Obinna, Odemwingie and Utaka looks quite impressive, but when you realize that all of Nigeria's strikers together have scored about as much goals at their clubs this season as Lionel Messi it stops looking as good. Odemwingie will probably remain Nigeria's main threat, especially since his speed and trickiness will focus on the right side of the field inhabited by Heinze and Demichelis.

Interestingly the topscorer at clublevel in the Nigerian squad this season is, Vincent Enyeama, the Nigerian goalkeeper who has 9 goals to his name. Equally impressive is Rabiu Afolabi (DF) with 5 goals. Goal count for the Nigerian forwards: John Utaka - 1 goal, Yakubu - 5 goals, Kalu Uche - 9 goals, Obafemi Martins - 6 goals, Peter Odemwingie - 4 goals, Chinedu Obasi - 7 goals.

Now, Nigeria has a history of showing up at big games against big teams. They don't always win them, but they perform admirably and their loss is usually a minimal one. They managed the upset of the tournament back in 1998, when they outplayed Spain in the opener. That said the squad in 1998 had way more talent and creativity. Somehow I don't see players of the same calibre in this Nigeria squad and unfortunately it seems that Nigeria has gone downhill since 1998.

Even though the above unless Taiwo scores a hattrick of long distance left-footed megagoals and Haruna turns out to be a prodigy Nigeria still looks to be toast. They may find some comfort in the defensive line of Argentina being much weaker than it could be, but when the shots come pouring in I doubt the Nigerians will find any consolation in this.

Nigeria's hopes remain in Maradona really being as crap a coach as he is made out to be. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Nigeria to make a case for Cambiasso's, Banega's and Zanetti's inclusion to the Argentine world cup squad, but won't be betting my money of the Super Eagles.

One must also take into account that the game is being refereed by Wolfgang Stark, who has a long history of being lenient towards favourites
and harsh towards contenders, which means the uphill battle for Nigeria is even more uphill.

PREDICTION: High scoring entertaining game ending 4:2 for the Argentines.
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by whybanme(f): 7:57pm On Jun 09, 2010
its feels good to be a patriot but the truth is we gonna lose woefully 5:1
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by DrKitaun(m): 8:49pm On Jun 09, 2010
marutimon:

My rundown of the game:
NIGERIA - ARGENTINA
12.05.2010 - 16:00

One of two big matches on Saturday (the second being USA vs England). I expect a shock in at least one game.

Argentina first XI has supposedly leaked and I must say it looks relatively good for Nigeria. Their are no surprises up front - we all know that whatever Maradona does the attack formation will kick backside - Messi, Tevez, Higuain backed by di Maria and the somewhat slow but still creative Veron. That said the back four is looking extremely vulnerable from fast strikers that Nigeria do possess in abundancy. The back four is to be guarded by an out of form Mascherano, who can be a penalty or red-card liability. Apart from superb (possibly best defender in the world?) Samuel we have a decent right back in Gutierrez, who will however expose the back due to his forward runs (albeit even if he is their at the back he doesn't give a lot of good cover defensively), as well as the incomprehensibly slow Demichelis and the slight faster Heinze at left-back. Heinze is decent defensively, but is often unable to cope with the pacier wingers and strikers. Teaming up with Demichelis it is an opportunity begging to be used. Taking that into account a fast winger on the right can and probably will break through on more than one occasion giving Nigeria opportunities to score.

But that's about as good as it gets for Nigeria. I can't see the Nigerian defence cope with Argentina anywhere on the field - be it through the middle or from the wings. That said they will probably outmuscle the Argentinians from setpieces (if they are able to take out Higuain) and most of Argentine's opportunities will probably come from open play.

The loss of Obi Mikel is especially hurtful in this opening game, as he is reliable as a DM and would offer significant hope of disrupting the flow of the Argentine midfield. The backups in Etuhu or Kaita are decent, but I don't see them performing against Messi,

The back four is another issue of contention. Their leftback Taye Taiwo is arguably the only world class player in the squad, but he has been dire for his country and nowhere near the defensive stallwart he has been for years for Marseille. [/b]If he ups his game and the defensive midfielders fill in for him properly when he does his forward runs he could minimalize the threat from Gutierrez and maybe put some dent into Messi's confidence. Doubtful, but one can always hope. Chidi Odiah is good, [b]but again nothing that will frighten players like di Maria and expect Odiah to be left dumbfounded more than once. [/b]That leaves the center two - a two that have to be strong, fast and reliable. All Nigerian defenders are definitely strong, but the other two characteristics are not in Shittu's or Yobo's list of strengths. Adeleye and Afolabi could possibly fit the needs perfectly - Adeleye was great as a defender at the Olympics, [b]whilst Afolabi has been a reliable defender for years, Somehow I don't believe Lagerback will bench Yobo, so the back four will have more leaks than necessary.

That leaves us with the strike force, Martins, Yakubu, Kalu Uche, Obasi, Obinna, Odemwingie and Utaka looks quite impressive, but when you realize that all of Nigeria's strikers together have scored about as much goals at their clubs this season as Lionel Messi it stops looking as good. Odemwingie will probably remain Nigeria's main threat, especially since his speed and trickiness will focus on the right side of the field inhabited by Heinze and Demichelis.

Interestingly the topscorer at clublevel in the Nigerian squad this season is, Vincent Enyeama, the Nigerian goalkeeper who has 9 goals to his name. Equally impressive is Rabiu Afolabi (DF) with 5 goals. Goal count for the Nigerian forwards: John Utaka - 1 goal, Yakubu - 5 goals, Kalu Uche - 9 goals, Obafemi Martins - 6 goals, Peter Odemwingie - 4 goals, Chinedu Obasi - 7 goals.

Now, Nigeria has a history of showing up at big games against big teams. They don't always win them, but they perform admirably and their loss is usually a minimal one. They managed the upset of the tournament back in 1998, when they outplayed Spain in the opener. That said the squad in 1998 had way more talent and creativity. Somehow I don't see players of the same calibre in this Nigeria squad and unfortunately it seems that Nigeria has gone downhill since 1998.

Even though the above unless Taiwo scores a hattrick of long distance left-footed megagoals and Haruna turns out to be a prodigy Nigeria still looks to be toast. They may find some comfort in the defensive line of Argentina being much weaker than it could be, but when the shots come pouring in I doubt the Nigerians will find any consolation in this.

Nigeria's hopes remain in Maradona really being as crap a coach as he is made out to be. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Nigeria to make a case for Cambiasso's, Banega's and Zanetti's inclusion to the Argentine world cup squad, but won't be betting my money of the Super Eagles.

One must also take into account that the game is being refereed by Wolfgang Stark, who has a long history of being lenient towards favourites
and harsh towards contenders, which means the uphill battle for Nigeria is even more uphill.

PREDICTION: High scoring entertaining game ending 4:2 for the Argentines.

whoever posted this drivel is a retarded doofus . . .let the nitwit go and analyse table soccer instead grin
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by Sagamite(m): 9:02pm On Jun 09, 2010
Yobo that is renowned as the fastest player in Everton is not fast?
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by Africason(m): 9:27pm On Jun 09, 2010
I wish 9ja de best. Go make us proud.
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by marutimon: 9:30pm On Jun 09, 2010
Yeah. I messed up on the 'fast' thing, wanted to write something different and messed it up (one is slow, the other is unreliable).
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by Sagamite(m): 9:38pm On Jun 09, 2010
marutimon:

Yeah. I messed up on the 'fast' thing, wanted to write something different and messed it up (one is slow, the other is unreliable).

Are you on the ground in SA?
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by udobim: 10:50pm On Jun 09, 2010
Veron should be seriously man-marked to cut off his deft ball passes.

NAIJA i believe.
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by uyipeace: 11:08pm On Jun 09, 2010
I have followed this world cup thing since espana 82. Then i was quite young. But i learnt something ever . In football there are no super powers. It is all a game of nerves. When the players have nerves and the coach his onions. sam sam, they game na g g. Forget this argentina thing. messi, messi, messi. The talk is getting annoying. I told pple who had ears the Ronaldinho carrier would die with his world cup experience. they swore. After the world cup, he slipped and therehe has been. The pressure will finish Messi's carrier. mark my word. Ask him right now, he is scared silly. Serious marking in the first is what it takes to silence him throughout. Predictions is Argentina 0 Nigeria 0, with argentina having 68 possession of the ball.
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by uyipeace: 11:26pm On Jun 09, 2010
SOUTH AFRICA 2010

NIGERIA VS ITALY FINAL

RESULT

NIGERIA 1 ITALY 0

MESSI INJURED IN THE SECOND MATCH. CARRIER RUINNED

ENGLAND ADVANCES TO QUARTERFINAL.

GERMANY CRASHES OUT OF THE SECOND ROUND.

SPAIN LEAVES AT THE SEMI FINAL

GHANA GETS TO SECOND ROUND

SOUTH AFRICA LEAVES AFTER THE FIRST ROUND.

HOLLAND LEAVES AFTER THE QUARTER FINAL.

SERBIS PLAYS EXCELLENT FOOTBALL WITHOUT IMPACT.

NIGERIA WINS THE WORLD CUP.
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by uyipeace: 11:27pm On Jun 09, 2010
SOUTH AFRICA 2010

NIGERIA VS ITALY FINAL

RESULT

NIGERIA 1 ITALY 0

MESSI INJURED IN THE SECOND MATCH. CARREER RUINNED

ENGLAND ADVANCES TO QUARTERFINAL.

GERMANY CRASHES OUT OF THE SECOND ROUND.

SPAIN LEAVES AT THE SEMI FINAL

GHANA GETS TO SECOND ROUND

SOUTH AFRICA LEAVES AFTER THE FIRST ROUND.

HOLLAND LEAVES AFTER THE QUARTER FINAL.

SERBIS PLAYS EXCELLENT FOOTBALL WITHOUT IMPACT.

NIGERIA WINS THE WORLD CUP.
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by mbulela: 11:02am On Jun 10, 2010
Thank f*** for Argentina in Group B because this is a nothing group without Diego Maradona's troop of incredibly talented individuals. As with Domenech, we can only assume that Maradona's failings as a coach and human being will not hinder the progress of a team with attacking options like Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain, Sergio Aguero, Carlos Tevez, Diego Milito and Martin Palermo. When we were pondering whether to take Emile Heskey or Darren Bent, it's enough to make you feel physically sick. It's probably only the maverick presence of Maradona that makes them anything but outright favourites for the title.

But they are quite rightly massive favourites to get out of a group featuring two of the dourest, ball-achingly dull teams in the World Cup in Nigeria and Greece. Lars Lagerback's Nigerians are a pretty limited bunch - as indicated by Danny Shittu's presence despite not getting a single game for Bolton this season. Greece are Greece - think Euro 2004 but with even less flair.

The South Koreans are rather more interesting, having crept under the radar somewhat because of the absence of a big-name foreign manager and the intriguing presence of North Korea. But this is a South Korean side who were impressive in qualifying from a difficult Asian group and have since recently beaten both the Ivory Coast and Japan - and they didn't need two own goals. Win their opening game against Greece and there might just be a mouthwatering second-round clash with France just around the corner.

No be me talk am o, na Sarah Winterburn
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by mykali(m): 3:57pm On Jun 10, 2010
mbulela:

who the Bleep is she?
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by Sagamite(m): 4:14pm On Jun 10, 2010
mbulela:

I was beginning to think: So this guy na foreigner.
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jun 10, 2010
No be me talk am o, na Sarah WinterburnPalin?

She hardly knows anything about Africa, talkless of African football players. grin tongue
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by mbulela: 10:49pm On Jun 10, 2010
ilugunboy:

She hardly knows anything about Africa, talkless of African football players. grin tongue
Sagamite:

I was beginning to think: So this guy na foreigner.
she is a UK based football journalist.
i happen to agree with her comments on this group.
She is spot on, unfortunately.
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by Sagamite(m): 11:06pm On Jun 10, 2010
mbulela:

she is a UK based football journalist.
i happen to agree with her comments on this group.
She is spot on, unfortunately.

I agree too.

On paper, Argentina should go through and the second spot should be hotly contested but with South Korea eventually picking it up.

But that is on paper. I don't predict, anything can happen. I don't write anybody off in modern day football.
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by xammy(m): 1:57am On Jun 11, 2010
super eagles knw say the no go win , watin come be una own?

Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by atheero: 3:55am On Jun 11, 2010
really thax
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by SeanLewis(m): 6:53am On Jun 11, 2010
Its really a group of death,  No doubt.  cry
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by dyabman(m): 10:18am On Jun 11, 2010
Thats the group of life not death boy! tongue
Re: Nigeria, Argentina, Greece, South Korea: 2010 Fifa World Cup Group B by johndavid1(m): 1:51pm On Jun 11, 2010
dyabman:

Thats the group of life not death boy! tongue
yes oh!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Does America Dominate The Olympics? / Juan Mata Vs David Silva. who is a better player? / Taribo West Accused Of Lying About His Age.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.