Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement (3138 Views)

ABCON To CBN: Reduce FX Rate So Our Members Can Bid For More Dollars / ABCON: Bureaux De Change Tell FG To Ban Binance To Save Naira / CBN’s N50bn COVID-19 Fund Disbursement Begins Thursday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement by actiondrilling: 4:53am On Jun 18, 2018
The Association of Bureaux De Change Operators of Nigeria (ABCON), at the weekend, urged the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to diversify its foreign exchange (forex) disbursements in the thrice-weekly intervention to them.

In the new call for the expansion of the currency dealers’ reach in the official forex market includes the just brokered $2.5 billion currency swap agreement between the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the People’s Bank of China (PBoC).

The call came on the heels of the group’s success in negotiating a downward review of their buy/sale rates at the official window from N360/N362 per dollar to N357/N360 per dollar, an indication of a strong bargaining strength at the nation’s forex market.

ABCON President, Alhaji Aminu Gwadabe, who made the call said the diversification of the forex disbursement would also help to meet the critical needs of their numerous clients travelling to China for personal and business purposes.

He explained that if implemented, such move will further deepen the interest in purchasing Yuan and reduce dollar demand, which appear to have monopolized the activities at the market.

Gwadabe noted that the currency swap deal was part of the CBN’s plan to keep the naira stable and protect the foreign reserves domiciled in dollars.

According to him, the deal will provide adequate local currency liquidity for Nigerian and Chinese industrialists and reduce difficulties they face in searching for the greenback before transactions can be consummated.

The ABCON chief said that the naira will benefit hugely from the deal, given the rising influence of Chinese Yuan in the international market.

He explained that the admittance of Yuan into the basket of International Monetary Fund (IMF) currencies and the Naira/Yuan swap deal will actualize the dream of naira sovereignty in Africa.

“The naira has remained stable at both the official and parallel markets, as the CBN continues its weekly dollar interventions. The naira, which in February 2017 was exchanging at N520/$ in the parallel market now exchanges at N361/$ while rate at the official market remains N305.9/$.

“The Yuan has equally made significant progress this year, appreciating 1.8 per cent against the dollar, to become the world’s second-strongest Asian currency.

“BDCs will equally benefit from the swap deal, given that a stable and strong naira is good for the economy and operators, while increased use of Yuan in trade deals will also open a new business opportunity for BDC operators,” he said.

Justifying the assertions, he said that China has remained Nigeria’s largest import partners over the last five years, with figures standing at over 20 per cent of Nigeria’s total imports.

He however, advised that to achieve the full gains of the deal, Nigeria has to take steps to boost its trade balance with China by raising the quality of local products to make them more attractive and acceptable to the Chinese people.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/06/abcon-asks-central-bank-to-diversify.html

Re: ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement by Meringe(m): 7:33am On Jun 18, 2018
In summary, BDC want to partake in the currency swap deal.

I am not pessimistic about this deal but I don't why I found it difficult to believe that this deal will last.

Our balance of payment with China is in their favor.

1 Like

Re: ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement by Kobicove(m): 7:38am On Jun 18, 2018
HAH:
To be frank the naira is over valued , dollar should be like 250,

Your post is contradictory... undecided

USD is currently exchanging at about 1USD=Naira 360

You are suggesting an exchange rate of N250 yet you're saying the Naira is overvalued

The correct statement should be that the Naira is undervalued or the US dollar is over valued

2 Likes

Re: ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement by Iceblockbabe: 7:44am On Jun 18, 2018
grin
Re: ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement by psalmson001: 7:44am On Jun 18, 2018
Hmmm...........I comment my reserve.
Re: ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement by booblacain(m): 7:57am On Jun 18, 2018
when are we going to be able to make payment in yuan with our naira debit card? that is the only thing I want to know.

1 Like

Re: ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement by thunderrider: 8:18am On Jun 18, 2018
Just for my education, can someone please remind me of three things we can export to china

1 Like

Re: ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement by Nefferd: 9:10am On Jun 18, 2018
nice one
Re: ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement by HAH: 9:15am On Jun 18, 2018
To be frank the naira is undervalued , dollar should be like 250,
Re: ABCON Asks Central Bank To Diversify Forex Disbursement by HAH: 10:51am On Jun 18, 2018
Kobicove:

Your post is contradictory... undecided

USD is currently exchanging at about 1USD=Naira 360

You are suggesting an exchange rate of N250 yet you're saying the Naira is overvalued

The correct statement should be that the Naira is undervalued or the US dollar is over valued
you are right, thanks for the correction, the naira is under valued especially comsidering the fact that we have a reserve of about $50b

The only problem is the political will, as all it takes is a policy statement, or the least this government can do is to converge all rates in the same place, but a situation where there are different rates for different sectors clearly shows a rigged system, everyone should get the dollar at N305 not some privileged few

(1) (Reply)

Uses Of Cold Room / Help Me Invest My Money / Mini Business Centre In Uniben

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.