Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,234 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Janet Jackson Reveals Her Struggle With Depression As She Covers Essence Magazin - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Janet Jackson Reveals Her Struggle With Depression As She Covers Essence Magazin (564 Views)

Janet Jackson Speaks On EndSARS & Lekki Shootings, Says 'Enough Is Truly Enough' / Amara Kanu Talks About Depression As She Steps Out Looking Radiant / Toke Makinwa Opens Up About Her Surgery And Her Struggle With Depression (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Janet Jackson Reveals Her Struggle With Depression As She Covers Essence Magazin by 14Ebiscoo: 5:57pm On Jun 21, 2018
52-year old pop icon Janet Jackson is the latest cover star for Essence magazine.

The mom of one opened up on her career, struggle with depression amongst other things.

Read excerpts from the interview;

On struggling with depression: I struggled with depression. The struggle was intense. Low self-esteem might be rooted in childhood feelings of inferiority. It could relate to failing to meet impossibly high standards. And of course there are always the societal issues of racism and sexism. Put it all together and depression is a tenacious and scary condition. Thankfully, I found my way through it.

On happiness: When it comes to happiness, I’m no expert. I have only my life experience as a guide. I’ve known great happiness and great sadness. But I guess the key question is, What do I really know about happiness? In my forties: Like millions of women in the world, I still heard voices inside my head berating me, voices questioning my value. Happiness was elusive. A reunion with old friends might make me happy. A call from a colleague might make me happy. But because sometimes I saw my failed relationships as my fault, I easily fell into despair.

On her one-year-old son Eissa: The height of happiness is holding my baby son in my arms and hearing him coo, or when I look into his smiling eyes and watch him respond to my tenderness. When I kiss him. When I sing him softly to sleep. During those sacred times, happiness is everywhere.

On #MeToo: We are living at a time in history when women all over the world are refusing to be controlled, manipulated, exploited or abused. We have found our strength, and we will not relent.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/06/janet-jackson-reveals-her-struggle-with.html

Re: Janet Jackson Reveals Her Struggle With Depression As She Covers Essence Magazin by soberdrunk(m): 5:58pm On Jun 21, 2018
There is nothing i hate to hear more than "Rich" people claiming depression!! Are you mad??!! What is depressing you? Have you stayed in atm line for more than one hour only for the machine to tell you "Insufficient funds"? Have you put off your phone for a week to avoid calls from debtors? Have you woken up in the middle of the night to budget all the money in your account? Have you endured insult from family and friends just to ask them for money, have you endured dry jokes and listened to ignorant talk just to enjoy free beer??! angry People that don't have problems will be claiming Depression......... angry
Re: Janet Jackson Reveals Her Struggle With Depression As She Covers Essence Magazin by DOUBLEWAHALA: 6:26pm On Jun 21, 2018
u get mind go marry muzlem y u no go deprss

(1) (Reply)

Nicki Minaj Buys Cardi B $5K Baby Gift Basket / In The Hands Of The Right Man, A Woman Is A Hundred Different Women' - Ceec / Sex Scandal: Unilag Summon’s Linda Ikeji And Joy Nwanna To Appear Before Panel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.