Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,493 members, 7,861,418 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 11:56 AM

Algeria Abandons 13,000 Immigrants In Sahara Deserts , 9600 Are Nigerians - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Algeria Abandons 13,000 Immigrants In Sahara Deserts , 9600 Are Nigerians (530 Views)

Dark Side Of Rome; Life Of Undocumented Immigrants In Italy / 29,723 Nigerian Immigrants In The U.S. ‘overstayed’ In 2018 / Welcome To Algeria ! ( Pics ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Algeria Abandons 13,000 Immigrants In Sahara Deserts , 9600 Are Nigerians by cruzzkhater(m): 12:46pm On Jun 25, 2018
Algeria has abandoned more than 13,000 people in the past 14 months, including pregnant women and children, stranding them without food or water and forcing them to walk, sometimes at gunpoint, under temperatures of up to 48 degrees Celsius. Where over 9,600 of them are immigrants from Nigeria.

A pregnant Nigerian immigrant Janet Abui whom lost a child was interviewed she said : “Women were lying dead, men….. Other people got missing in the desert because they didn’t know the way. “Everybody was just on their own.”

My body still aches from the dead baby i gave birth to during the trek and left behind in the Sahara, buried in a shallow grave in the molten sand. Blood streaked my legs for days afterward, and weeks later,my ankles were still swollen.

“I lost my son, my child,” said Janet Abui , a Nigerian who ran her own home business selling drinks and food in Algeria and was expelled in May.

Algeria’s mass expulsions have picked up since October 2017, as the European Union renewed pressure on North African countries to head off migrants going north to Europe via the Mediterranean Sea or the barrier fences with Spain. These migrants from across sub-Saharan Africa — Mali, the Gambia, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and more — are part of the mass migration toward Europe, some fleeing violence, others just hoping to make a activist.

Ibrahim Diallo, a local journalist and activist said :

The number of migrants sent home in convoys — nearly all of them Nigerien — has also shot up, to at least 14,446 since August 2017, compared with 9,290 for all of 2016.

At least another 2,500 were forced on a similar trek this year through the Sahara into neighboring Mali
Pls click below
https://www.1960ng.com/algeria-abandons-13000-immigrants-in-sahara-deserts-9600-are-nigerians/

Re: Algeria Abandons 13,000 Immigrants In Sahara Deserts , 9600 Are Nigerians by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jun 25, 2018
Why on Earth would you embark on a journey in the Sahara while pregnant? Do you think that Algeria has all the necessary funds to support thousands of migrants unannounced? I'm sorry for what happened but asylum seekers need to exercise better judgement before trekking on such treacherous journies.

2 Likes

Re: Algeria Abandons 13,000 Immigrants In Sahara Deserts , 9600 Are Nigerians by Donald95(m): 12:55pm On Jun 25, 2018
Africans will keep on receiving rejection until they reduce the amount of children they produce yearly.

Especially Nigerians giving birth with no plan to give them all they need for a standard living

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Help; I Want To Study And Work In Canada / Be / Everything About South Korean Visa Pls Come In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.