Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,303 members, 7,815,548 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously (28485 Views)

FIFA U20 Women's World Cup final Group Game : Nigeria Vs Canada 03.00am 18/08/22 / This Is The Reason Why World Cup Will Never Come To Africa / Possibilities In The World Cup Final Group D Stage (nigeria's Group) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by sammoe(m): 4:01pm On Jun 25, 2018
Have you wondered why the last matches of each group at the World Cup are played at the same time? Maybe you have, and you have an idea. But do you know the history behind it? The guys at marca.com tell us:

On June 25 during the 1982 World Cup, Germany needed to win in their last Group B game to reach the second round.They faced Austria, who would also advance along with their opponents if they were beaten by no more than two goals.That is exactly what happened as Germany took the lead after 10 minutes and both sides spent the rest of the game passing the ball needlessly and threatening little.Those in attendance in Gijon understood what was happening and jeered as they took the side of Algeria, the injured party.

Since then, FIFA have ensured that both final group games will take place simultaneously to avoid a similar scenario.There were chants of 'kiss, kiss' to the players, such was the lack of competitiveness in the contest, as well as ones in favour of Algeria and even Sporting Gijon.Austria wouldn't make it past the next round, although Germany did make it all the way to the final, where they were beaten 3-1 by Italy in Madrid.

Source: http://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2018/06/25/5b30cce622601da63d8b45da.html

8 Likes

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by fecta: 7:13pm On Jun 25, 2018
WOW I GOT FTC

I will act matured about it not like others that will be making mouth like its a big deal angry angry

So
grin grin

I thank God for making me see this day
Many have tried to be FTC like the Guy below me
But God chose me, not because am qualified infact na GLO I dey use.

I dedicate this to the super eagles and the driver that will transport Buhari back to Daura.

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by Bossontop(m): 7:14pm On Jun 25, 2018
undecided
I tot its sodat teams can quickly know dia fate and pack dia bags........jus like messi has already packed his

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by MichaelSokoto(m): 7:14pm On Jun 25, 2018
eheheheh!

some indomie generation won't understand dis rhetorics. grin

oops!
apologies to all indomie generation, I meant to say,
"em Cheeseball generation nor gor understand rara".
ooooooh, watta pity grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by madridguy(m): 7:14pm On Jun 25, 2018
Insightful.
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by evy1(m): 7:14pm On Jun 25, 2018
kiss
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by drips8(m): 7:15pm On Jun 25, 2018
All I know is this year's world cup is lit

2 Likes

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by babasolo(m): 7:15pm On Jun 25, 2018
Long & short of it, it's just to avoid Match Fixing

47 Likes

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by bodeskii(m): 7:15pm On Jun 25, 2018
Corruption on the pitch.. grin
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by Kingspin(m): 7:16pm On Jun 25, 2018
No room for cheap or sell-out match by teams.
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by arcisong(m): 7:16pm On Jun 25, 2018
I thought as much

1 Like

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by pocohantas(f): 7:16pm On Jun 25, 2018
Anyone that understood the OP, should please explain to me in simple English.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by ikbnice(m): 7:16pm On Jun 25, 2018
The whites sef na dem teach us ojoro

1 Like

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by Mariangeles(f): 7:17pm On Jun 25, 2018
For fairness...
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jun 25, 2018
pocohantas:
Anyone that understood the OP, should please explain to me in simple English.
They're played simultaneously so the teams won't cheat.

Imagine Argentina draws Nigeria which SHOULD make us qualify. . .

Then in the final game Croatia could strike a deal with the Icelandic FA to lose 5 - 0 just so Iceland will qualify instead of us.

52 Likes

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by anibi9674: 7:19pm On Jun 25, 2018
corruption every where.
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by MichaelSokoto(m): 7:19pm On Jun 25, 2018
drips8:
All I know is this year's world cup is lit
Cheeseball shildren spotted grin
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by pat077: 7:19pm On Jun 25, 2018
If u don't know, now you know shocked
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by Triiipjnr(m): 7:21pm On Jun 25, 2018
Lol never knew
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by xreal: 7:23pm On Jun 25, 2018
sammoe:
Have you wondered why the last matches of each group at the World Cup are played at the same time? Maybe you have, and you have an idea. But do you know the history behind it? The guys at marca.com tell us:

On June 25 during the 1982 World Cup, Germany needed to win in their last Group B game to reach the second round.They faced Austria, who would also advance along with their opponents if they were beaten by no more than two goals.That is exactly what happened as Germany took the lead after 10 minutes and both sides spent the rest of the game passing the ball needlessly and threatening little.Those in attendance in Gijon understood what was happening and jeered as they took the side of Algeria, the injured party.

Since then, FIFA have ensured that both final group games will take place simultaneously to avoid a similar scenario.There were chants of 'kiss, kiss' to the players, such was the lack of competitiveness in the contest, as well as ones in favour of Algeria and even Sporting Gijon.Austria wouldn't make it past the next round, although Germany did make it all the way to the final, where they were beaten 3-1 by Italy in Madrid.

Source: http://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2018/06/25/5b30cce622601da63d8b45da.html

And today makes it 36years.

Even though I am not understanding.

11 Likes

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by sinaj(f): 7:23pm On Jun 25, 2018
So they expect us to divide our eyes or what

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by Mariangeles(f): 7:23pm On Jun 25, 2018
AnonyNymous:

They're played simultaneously so the teams won't cheat.

Imagine Argentina wins Nigeria (which will NOT HAPPEN grin grin )

Then in the final game Croatia could strike a deal with the Icelandic FA to lose 5 - 0 just so Iceland will qualify instead of Argentina.
I rebuke this your example... grin

23 Likes

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by MrImole: 7:23pm On Jun 25, 2018
Lol!
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by Mariangeles(f): 7:24pm On Jun 25, 2018
sinaj:
You just need to.watch the match that means more to you...

4 Likes

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jun 25, 2018
sinaj:

Just watch the one with the highest level of tension
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by Kyllahmc(m): 7:28pm On Jun 25, 2018
wow nice info... was wondering why they started rushing the games all of a sudden... maybe to go to war with the US... but it all make sense now.
though it's messing up the tournament... cos we are missing some major actions but I totally understand now. thumbs up Op... nice one

2 Likes

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by nymphomaniac(m): 7:31pm On Jun 25, 2018
Good info
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by Greatzeus(m): 7:32pm On Jun 25, 2018
MichaelSokoto:
eheheheh!

some indomie generation won't understand dis rhetorics. grin

oops!
apologies to all indomie generation, I meant to say,
"em Cheeseball generation nor gor understand rara".
ooooooh, watta pity grin grin
This post has nothing to do with indomie generation, always use a word where appropriate. Unless you are telling us you watched the 1982 world cup undecided

8 Likes

Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by MichaelSokoto(m): 7:35pm On Jun 25, 2018
Greatzeus:

This post has nothing to do with indomie generation, always use a word where appropriate. Unless you are telling us you watched the 1982 world cup undecided
why ur as$ pained?
live and lets live my broda
Re: Why World Cup Final Group Games Are Played Simultaneously by Greatzeus(m): 7:37pm On Jun 25, 2018
MichaelSokoto:

why ur as$ pained?
live and lets live my broda
Maybe I'm pained cos of the amount wasted on your education undecided gerraouthere

8 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Pogba... The Arsenal XI Wenger could have had is INSANE! / Messi Overtakes Ronaldo As Footballer With Most Guinness World Records / Mourinho Gives Surprising but Concrete Reason For Making Pogba Captain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.