Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,966 members, 7,838,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada (10728 Views)

FUT Minna Post-graduate Studies 2013/2014. Anyone? / Pains Of Undergoing Post Graduate Studies In Benue State University Makurdi / Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by seuncaroline: 9:02pm On Sep 22, 2010
SCYLLA:

I have also been thinking about my GRE score and I am actually wondering if I should retake, the conditions on the day were hard but during my prep my average score was 740 with the highest being 790 and lowest 670. I am not so sure if retaking it to get a score of 750 would really be worth it in the long run as most schools emphasize that it is the whole process that is looked at and not just one parameter.
Furthermore I think it is my moving from mechanical to petroleum and my lack of real working experience that did me in. I really feel so so down.

I only found UofA and UofCalgary offering petroleum engineering, which other two schools offer the course?

Can you improve on your score? Definitely, but it all depends on you. I did a 670Q/500V in 2008, got rejected from all schs with some pointing out that my GRE Q Score was the reason eventho i had like 4.4/5 (pet engr). I did another GRE after <2months of intense prep and pulled a Q740/V580 and some of thesame schs that rejected me gave me admission and TA/RA. So, if i were you ( with a mech engr backgroud that wants to switch to a hot scarce course like Petro Engr), I'd put different factors into consideration and make a decision that will improve your chances ones and for all.

For the other Canada pet engr sch, chk out U of Regina and Dalhiousie U.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 10:07pm On Sep 22, 2010
seuncaroline:

Can you improve on your score? Definitely, but it all depends on you. I did a 670Q/500V in 2008, got rejected from all schs with some pointing out that my GRE Q Score was the reason eventho i had like 4.4/5 (pet engr). I did another GRE after <2months of intense prep and pulled a Q740/V580 and some of thesame schs that rejected me gave me admission and TA/RA. So, if i were you ( with a mech engr backgroud that wants to switch to a hot scarce course like Petro Engr), I'd put different factors into consideration and make a decision that will improve your chances ones and for all.

For the other Canada pet engr sch, chk out U of Regina and Dalhiousie U.

Now I am scared and really worried, which schools rejected you from the US? Oh meeeeennn this is not funny at all I have barely slept a wink since my exam I am just sooooo worried. So in your opinion my score is not good enough?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by dayokanu(m): 11:01pm On Sep 22, 2010
For Engineering Masters your Quant matters a lot.

I studued for mine in 2006 and got 740Q, 600V.

When you are trying to get into a top course like Pet Engr you need all you can.

Guys like Davidylan are wizards

davidylan (m)
Jetblue free flights only $700!

Re: Preparing for GRE
« #20 on: September 08, 2006, 11:01 PM »

You got great scores! I had a 790 in math and 640 in english, only 90 points better and i'm in a great phd program here in the US. Your scores qualify you, it depends on how competitive your program is.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 11:19pm On Sep 22, 2010
dayokanu:

When you are trying to get into a top course like Pet Engr you need all you can.

I feel so bad, maybe I would take the rest of the week to think about it.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by Ozegbe(m): 12:32am On Sep 23, 2010
pls how do i study in usa with full scholarship
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by seuncaroline: 11:42am On Sep 23, 2010
dayokanu:

@Dayokani,
U are right, Engineering master requires a high Q Score.
From your profile, We had same Q Score and close V Score, Where precisely are u now? Are u done with your Master since you did ur GRE in 2k6,
I have lots of ??s and wud be grateful if you send ur email ad over so i can get across to you.
my ad is seuncaroline [at] yahoo [dot] com
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by hooklover: 6:10pm On Sep 23, 2010
hello i wikl like some one to help with ebook on gre.pls i need to go back to school. love to study pet engr but i have a degree in electrical engr will excellent experience in drillin with service coy . so i need to be back there its a niceplace to study with enough rigs. also alaska university isnice place. pls give me materials let me prove mu self richoteg@yahoo.com thanks
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by dayokanu(m): 6:40pm On Sep 23, 2010
seuncaroline:

@Dayokani,
U are right, Engineering master requires a high Q Score.
From your profile, We had same Q Score and close V Score, Where precisely are u now? Are u done with your Master since you did your GRE in 2k6,
I have lots of ??s and wud be grateful if you send your email ad over so i can get across to you.
my ad is seuncaroline [at] yahoo [dot] com

My email is on my profile.

I was admitted into the petroleum Engr program and University of Houston and TAMU
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 7:33pm On Sep 23, 2010
@dayokanu
At Uni of houston what were you offered thesis or non thesis? Plus I was thinking since you guys have gone through the process, which low risk schools in your opinion would consider me. Plus is which option is more competitive the thesis or non-thesis?

More so is there no way to test if one would be admitted without paying the fees and going through the crazy process of sending transcripts and all that. Someone suggested contacting the professors, please help!!!! as I am going out of my mind here cry cry cry
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by dayokanu(m): 7:45pm On Sep 23, 2010
The trick is this.

Some school are easier to get into than others, A school like UT Austin and Stanford would be much difficult to get into. You can choose 5 schools 2 tough ones 2 middle one and 1 safe low ranked school(In case others dont work out).

Based on the school ranking, TAMU is one of the best schools for Pet Engr and when you are in school, a lot of coys come to recruit from school. Because they have a stronger network of Alumnis in top companies. The same way it happens in Nigeria, You cant compare the Alumni network and industry standing of schools like OAU, UI, ABU, UNILAG and UNN to Babcock, OSU, FUTO, NAU or ATBU.

While in OAU, Many companies came to recruit students directly from Ifge which they didnt extend to a school like FUTA or UNAD

UH Masters in Petroleum Engr is still kind of new and they dont have the industry pedigree just yet which A&M has. In all UH would be easier to get in much more than A&M. I was also required to write TOEFL and got 100 in the IBT.

I was offered non-thesis in UH.

I declined to be a cougar and became an Aggie. (Find out what that means)
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by seuncaroline: 8:18pm On Sep 23, 2010
dayokanu:

The trick is this.

Some school are easier to get into than others, A school like UT Austin and Stanford would be much difficult to get into. You can choose 5 schools 2 tough ones 2 middle one and 1 safe low ranked school(In case others dont work out).

Based on the school ranking, TAMU is one of the best schools for Pet Engr and when you are in school, a lot of coys come to recruit from school. Because they have a stronger network of Alumnis in top companies. The same way it happens in Nigeria, You cant compare the Alumni network and industry standing of schools like OAU, UI, ABU, UNILAG and UNN to Babcock, OSU, FUTO, NAU or ATBU.

While in OAU, Many companies came to recruit students directly from Ifge which they didnt extend to a school like FUTA or UNAD

UH Masters in Petroleum Engr is still kind of new and they dont have the industry pedigree just yet which A&M has. In all UH would be easier to get in much more than A&M. I was also required to write TOEFL and got 100 in the IBT.

I have added you on my ymsger and i'd be grateful to chat with you, making for your confirmation. I'm online now.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 8:38pm On Sep 23, 2010
dayokanu:

The trick is this.

Thanks dayo, was your first degree in pet engr?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by dayokanu(m): 9:50pm On Sep 23, 2010
^^ Chemical Engineering
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 4:13am On Sep 24, 2010
dayokanu:

^^ Chemical Engineering
Did you have any major work experience in the petroleum industry? When you were sending your application did you contact professors before or after you were offered admission? and please could you tell me what you graduated with. I would understand if you are not comfortable sharing your info online.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by dayokanu(m): 4:20am On Sep 24, 2010
I worked as a consultant in a multinational to the Energy industry.

My Clients were Major Multinationals in Nigeria in Escravos, lagos and Bonny Island.

I contacted my Professors when applying because your recommendation letter is a part of your application and your application would never be deemed complete without it.

I did NOT graduate with a First Class.

When applying to UH If you are not a Petroleum Engr graduate you would have to take 4 prerequisite classes

Introduction to Petroleum Engineering
Reservoir Engineering I
Petroleum Fluid Properties and Phase Equilibria
Origin and Development of Oil & Gas Reservoirs
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 4:34am On Sep 24, 2010
dayokanu:

I worked as a consultant in a multinational to the Energy industry.

My Clients were Major Multinationals in Nigeria in Escravos, lagos and Bonny Island.

I contacted my Professors when applying because your recommendation letter is a part of your application and your application would never be deemed complete without it.

I did NOT graduate with a First Class.

When applying to UH If you are not a Petroleum Engr graduate you would have to take 4 prerequisite classes

Introduction to Petroleum Engineering
Reservoir Engineering I
Petroleum Fluid Properties and Phase Equilibria
Origin and Development of Oil & Gas Reservoirs

I guess that's part of what I am also worried about, my lack of experience. I meant if you contacted professors at TAMU.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by dayokanu(m): 6:34am On Sep 24, 2010
I didnt contact anyone at TAMU except calling Barbi Miller and Maria Barrufet sometime and asking for my admission decision

Your lack of experience wont really count that much, A lot of students go directly from Undergrad to PG.

http://www.facebook.com/TAMUGraduateStudies
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by jidebiz(m): 10:13am On Sep 24, 2010
@SCYLLA, take it easy sir, this isn't the time to break down at all. I presume you are planning to enroll for the fall 2011 session and as you might already know, most of them have deadlines if you are seeking some form of assistantship. Most of the petroleum engineering schools expect you submit your full application which includes the online process and sending of your documents before the second week of December, so you mustn't slack or slow your horses.
Firstly, I'd be realistic with you but you must understand I'm only speaking based on my personal research. Your GRE score isn't bad at all but it's not the most appropriate. So the question is what is the way forward right and not what is the downside. Admission requirement is more than just GRE, your CGPA, SOP, recommendation letters, TOEFL are very key as well. You must compensate using these documents to bolster your stand.
I won't advice you to apply to University of Texas, Texas A&M university because they have too many applicants with perfect scores among other documents as well.
You MUST get good recommendation letters. Make sure your recommenders write very highly of you. University of Houston have their own recommendation form, you must get them to fill it in high regard of you.
Whatever you do, don't despair ! ! ! ! ! think analytically, do your research, and most importantly,  KEEP YOUR CHIN UP.
Cheers
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by jidebiz(m): 10:34am On Sep 24, 2010
@dayokanu,
I do appreciate your explication on these very important discussions. I kindly would like to ask a few questions.
Firstly, While you were applying to the University of Houston, was there any key detail that you took into consideration which you suppose added some leverage to your application process?
Secondly, were you offered some form of assistantship and if you weren't, did you pay the full tuition at once or do they have an installment payment plan. Furthermore, in lieu of paying the full tuition,  is it easy to secure some form of assistantship as a RA/TA once you begin the graduate program?
Thirdly, you stated that University of Houston's petroleum engineering program is still at its nascent stage which is very correct. But it is assumed that they have the advantage of being located at the heart of most petroleum engineering oil company HQs which makes it easy to be employed after completion of the program.  Is this assumption true?
I do apologize if I seem to be a little too much of a querist but I'm applying to the school and would like to benefit from your wealth of practical knowledge.
Thank you.
Cheers
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 2:46pm On Sep 24, 2010
dayokanu:

I didnt contact anyone at TAMU except calling Barbi Miller and Maria Barrufet sometime and asking for my admission decision

Your lack of experience wont really count that much, A lot of students go directly from Undergrad to PG.

http://www.facebook.com/TAMUGraduateStudies
Well I guess I would make the decision, what I am calculating is how much it would cost to send in all the applications and get a reject when I could have buckled down and get a better GRE score, I guess my biggest fear is getting rejected because of my score in the long run.
jidebiz:

@SCYLLA, take it easy sir, this isn't the time to break down at all. I presume you are planning to enroll for the fall 2011 session and as you might already know, most of them have deadlines if you are seeking some form of assistantship. Most of the petroleum engineering schools expect you submit your full application which includes the online process and sending of your documents before the second week of December, so you mustn't slack or slow your horses.
Firstly, I'd be realistic with you but you must understand I'm only speaking based on my personal research. Your GRE score isn't bad at all but it's not the most appropriate. So the question is what is the way forward right and not what is the downside. Admission requirement is more than just GRE, your CGPA, SOP, recommendation letters, TOEFL are very key as well. You must compensate using these documents to bolster your stand.
I won't advice you to apply to University of Texas, Texas A&M university because they have too many applicants with perfect scores among other documents as well.
You MUST get good recommendation letters. Make sure your recommenders write very highly of you. University of Houston have their own recommendation form, you must get them to fill it in high regard of you.
Whatever you do, don't despair ! ! ! ! ! think analytically, do your research, and most importantly,  KEEP YOUR CHIN UP.
Cheers
Thank you very much sir, the most painful thing to me is that I know the Q score is not really reflective of my abilities. All I really care about is the admission, I could care less about the funding, I just want a chance to show what I can do that's all. My main target is TAMU I don't know about you but I want to get into that school maybe that is what is making me sound desperate. But what you have said about other documents is true, I had no idea this would hit me as hard as it did, I have always been a sucker for failure anyway not that I am a super student but I was always smart enough to be a lot better than average. So here is my dilemma, do I close my eyes and write it all over again now once and for all and be done with it, I dont know if its the highest score ets would report or both of them. My cousin at TAMU has been very supportive though telling me that the score is ok just like you did I guess the big question would be if I can banish the monster from my head that my score is not good enough.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by dayokanu(m): 3:27pm On Sep 24, 2010
Jidebiz,

I dont understand your first question

To the second question

Secondly, were you offered some form of assistantship and if you weren't, did you pay the full tuition at once or do they have an installment payment plan. Furthermore, in lieu of paying the full tuition,  is it easy to secure some form of assistantship as a RA/TA once you begin the graduate program?

Getting a TA/RA as a Masters student is usually difficult Unless you are in the PhD program, Secondly you are in a popular Masters program like Pet Engr which has a lot of students and applicant,

What makes you think you would have the edge to compete for a TA/RA since you dont have any previous teaching/Research experience?
Another thing I have noticed in the US, Chinese and indians get more of these TA positions than others, Maybe due to their high numbers or because of networking/parapo. We have more lecturers who are Chinese/Indians and they might tend to get students from their countries for these positions(I might be wrong though)
I wasnt offered any form of assistantship. I was asked to pay full tuition and they have a payment plan.

I didnt attend UH.

Thirdly, you stated that University of Houston's petroleum engineering program is still at its nascent stage which is very correct. But it is assumed that they have the advantage of being located at the heart of most petroleum engineering oil company HQs which makes it easy to be employed after completion of the program.  Is this assumption true?

The distance is an advantage which might be useful in the future but for now its not really making much of an influence.

The pedigree TAMU and Austin have built in the oil industry it would take some time for UH to get there. Its like saying the kind of pedigree  OAU, UI UNN and ABU have, How long do you think it would take schools like FUTA, FUTM, UNIABUJA(which is in the capital) to get.

UTAustin and TAMU are also in Texas and most of the BIG BOYS from Texas in most industries including the Oil Industry are alumnis. do yo know the current secretary of defence Robert Gates was also a former TAMU president? Do you think favoritism don't exist in America too?

Anywhere you work, You would always notice some form of Alumni allegiance, Per the ranking, TAMU, Austin and Stanford are tops.

If you are talking about an MBA the school top coys like Goldman Sachs etc go to recruit(Wharton, Harvard, UChicago, MIT, Stanford) are mostly out of New York though they still recruit from NY schools which houses the Wall Street(the commercial nerve center)

Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by dayokanu(m): 3:28pm On Sep 24, 2010
Attached is one of the flyers they still send to my email address
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by jidebiz(m): 5:13pm On Sep 24, 2010
@dayokanu,
Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 6:45pm On Sep 24, 2010
dayokanu:

Jidebiz,

I dont understand your first question

To the second question
Getting a TA/RA as a Masters student is usually difficult Unless you are in the PhD program, Secondly you are in a popular Masters program like Pet Engr which has a lot of students and applicant,

What makes you think you would have the edge to compete for a TA/RA since you dont have any previous teaching/Research experience?
Another thing I have noticed in the US, Chinese and indians get more of these TA positions than others, Maybe due to their high numbers or because of networking/parapo. We have more lecturers who are Chinese/Indians and they might tend to get students from their countries for these positions(I might be wrong though)
I wasnt offered any form of assistantship. I was asked to pay full tuition and they have a payment plan.

I didnt attend UH.

The distance is an advantage which might be useful in the future but for now its not really making much of an influence.

The pedigree TAMU and Austin have built in the oil industry it would take some time for UH to get there. Its like saying the kind of pedigree  OAU, UI UNN and ABU have, How long do you think it would take schools like FUTA, FUTM, UNIABUJA(which is in the capital) to get.

UTAustin and TAMU are also in Texas and most of the BIG BOYS from Texas in most industries including the Oil Industry are alumnis. do yo know the current secretary of defence Robert Gates was also a former TAMU president? Do you think favoritism don't exist in America too?

Anywhere you work, You would always notice some form of Alumni allegiance, Per the ranking, TAMU, Austin and Stanford are tops.

If you are talking about an MBA the school top coys like Goldman Sachs etc go to recruit(Wharton, Harvard, UChicago, MIT, Stanford) are mostly out of New York though they still recruit from NY schools which houses the Wall Street(the commercial nerve center)

How about LSU do you know much about their program and job prospects?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by dayokanu(m): 7:04pm On Sep 24, 2010
LSU is also good. I think Exxon has some research plant there, I am not sure though
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SEFAGO(m): 8:29pm On Sep 24, 2010
A typical engineer should score a 790 Q at least. thats like a 92%. 8% of the people get a perfect score. Its just simple arithmetic guys for cryiing out loud. Asians sleep and get 790. Even oyibo people study for one day and get 790.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by dayokanu(m): 11:09pm On Sep 24, 2010
SEFAGO:

A typical engineer should score a 790 Q at least. thats like a 92%. 8% of the people get a perfect score. Its just simple arithmetic guys for cryiing out loud. Asians sleep and get 790. Even oyibo people study for one day and get 790.

Sharap there tongue tongue tongue tongue

You think say na moin-moin in a sachet?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SEFAGO(m): 1:22am On Sep 25, 2010
LOL, ok sha. Let me not talk grin
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by Nobody: 1:33am On Sep 25, 2010
retake the GRE, if you're going for engineering then a QA of 700 is not very good.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by seuncaroline: 2:02pm On Sep 25, 2010
SEFAGO:

@SAFAGO, well said but like dayokanu reckons, "no be beans" like you said, else, you for grow up (hustle) for 9ja and even do your first degree here, then "sleep" and make 790 like the asians. Many factors play out in a man's life and career and the right conditions and environment matter alot, We might not make perfect scores or pull the 790's like the asians but "Respect" any 9ja wer hustle thru life here to write and make above 700 and great cgpa's from 9ja universities. I am convinced if you give the best 9ja guys the opportunity you and the asians ve, they wud outperform your bunch, Appreciate and encourage your fellow 9jrians like you did stimes in "Preparing for GRE" thread, and 9ja wud be better off.

Anyway, this is not an attack on your person as i respect you alot, hence continue to add your 2cents. We really get exposed and love them.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 25, 2010
SEFAGO:

i got a 790 and i barely studied for it. The trick is to understand that the QA is less a test of your math skills as much as how fast you can think. Golden rule i was taught - if you find yourself worrying about a ques for more than 1 min or having to conjure serious math eqns then your chances that u're wrong is close to 95%. Remember, even art students take the same QA too.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SEFAGO(m): 2:53pm On Sep 25, 2010
I grew up and lived in Nigeria for most of my life. Infact I am prolly more Nigerian than the average Nigerian. You should see me catching bus to Oshodi grin grin

Anyways, I pointed out that Engineers should be able to get close to a perfect score. The reason is that I assume that all engineers have at least up to differential equations compared to other people from less mathematical backgrounds. Engineers tend to be better at math than the average person. The next group of very quantitative and analytical people would be those with a pure science or economics. The mathematics in GRE should be less difficult for them. Also Nigerians use calculators less frequently than Americans- I can do complex equations in my head without blinking due to my Nigerian upbringing (I no get money to buy calculator in secondary school tongue), which gives an advantage in the GRE compared to those overdependent on calculators.

davidylan:

i got a 790 and i barely studied for it. The trick is to understand that the QA is less a test of your math skills as much as how fast you can think. Golden rule i was taught - if you find yourself worrying about a ques for more than 1 min or having to conjure serious math eqns then your chances that u're wrong is close to 95%. Remember, even art students take the same QA too.

Yes, its more about how fast you can work through simple arithmetic/algebra. Usually very calm and calculated people do better than nervous jittery people.

Personally, I think schooling in Nigeria prepares you for math exams abroad. However, I understand the environment is just terrible- NEPA/PHCN taking light, reading with candle, lack of adequate materials. I apologize if I came off as condescending. Sometimes I have to be blunt considering how expensive it is to apply to universities abroad. It sucks to get disappointed after putting so much work. However, I do know Nigerians from Unilag who have done quite well. Also, graduate schools expect you to get close to 800 and they sadly do not consider Nigerian factor.

By the way you guys should check: www.thegradcafe.com

You can see the profiles of previous engineers and what they scored on their GRE and what schools they applied to.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

THE ATROCITIES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR [GRAPHIC PHOTOS 18+] / Sudan Awards Scholarship To 91 Kano Indigenes(photos) / The Easiest Way To Get Rid Of Scorpions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.