Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,452 members, 7,826,736 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada (10707 Views)

FUT Minna Post-graduate Studies 2013/2014. Anyone? / Pains Of Undergoing Post Graduate Studies In Benue State University Makurdi / Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by EdConsult: 1:29pm On Jun 07, 2010
I am a previous poster on NL. Due to popular Demand, I have made a thread on graduate school application in the US. This would provide information about how to prepare an application, application tips and questions regarding the SOP or GRE as well as work opportunities in the these three places since they are popular destinations for most graduate students on Nairaland. During the next couple of days, I would provide pertinent information on graduate school applications, and such. I would also be available to answer questions, and encourage other people to do so. I applied to graduate school in all three countries so I am familiar with how the applications work for each country and they are very very different.

However I ask only one rule on this thread: PLEASE BE CORDIAL TO EVERYONE

I would also ask that questions are in well constructed sentences to avoid any ambiguity
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by EdConsult: 1:30pm On Jun 07, 2010
This question was asked by SCYLLA:

Hello Guys,
Nice thread you have got going here, it seems this thread is even doing more work than its original title suggested. I have always thought that graduate people were under represented in this section. Do you guys think it would be nice to raise a thread here specifically for grad education in the US, Uk and Canada? I see a lot of you already have the experience in such matters.

Now to my own wahala oh  Grin Grin

I am preparing to write GRE in three months, I started two weeks ago and I sucked so bad at the verbal section for one reason, I did not know the meaning of most words and it was becoming frustrating so I decided to use the wordlist while learning the various sections and my results improved drastically as much as 18/20( I have really only covered Antonyms and analogies so far).I don't know if it is good practice to learn it this way, but what I set out to achieve is to know the techniques behind these sections and not get frustrated by the meaning of the words, such as building bridges in analogies and so on. I plan to go through all the sections like this, then go back to the word lists and then take practice GRE tests in barrons. Finally I would do GRE CAT tests with kaplan's premier cd, all of which I got online ( I am a bit internet savvy). However I am saving studying quantitative and analytical writing for last mostly because I am of an engineering background which brings me to the next problem.

I am supposed to choose four schools to go along with my registration for the GRE ( I hope I am right), I am not too crazy about the whole RA or TA thing although it is a little factor, my first priority is to study in a very good school and I know this would not be easy especially as I have got no real working experience( save for a 6 month stint at NNPC). I studied Mechanical Engineering at the University of Port Harcourt and graduated in December 2009. I finished with a 2:1(6th best) with a CGPA of 3.90/5.0 in what was the best set the department has had since its inception (which was 0 First class, 20 2nd Upper, 20 2nd lower and 10 3rd class all out of a class of 160 people  Grin Grin Grin Grin ). I want to study for an Msc in petroleum engineering as I would love to specialize in drilling or reservoir engineering.

From all the research* I managed to do online I managed to come up with a list of four schools

* Texas A& M
    * University of Texas at Austin
    * University of Oklahoma
    * Louisiana state University

I had colorado school of mines in place of LSU but a cousin of mine currently doing his MSc in the same course at Texas A&M told me the school was relatively expensive and I should consider LSU. I had written to the grad department at the University of texas at austin and the reply I got was that because of the high number of applications they take only first class students, I wonder how true that is. Anyway in summary these are my questions

1. Is my list realistic? or do I have to add more schools to it? ( I think I have to pay extra for that)
2. What do you think my minimum GRE score should be if I am to be considered with my background?
3. How much does work experience weigh in getting positive responses?
4. What is life like in the US after one finishes grad school, I intend to at least gain very good working experience there before maybe returning to Nigeria. I know there is a financial meltdown but compared to the Uk and Canada what are the chances of securing one?
5. In the event that I cannot get one immediately, what options are available?
6. On the issue of Canada I also intend to send an application to the University of Alberta, I hear very good reviews for Canada but I am still surprised that many people do not consider going there especially as I have heard that they have less immigrant visa issues, is there anyone that can throw more light on this?

Finally, I know some of my questions are like I am already thinking too far, but I always like to take in at least a perception of what the big picture looks like before and when I venture into anything, furthermore I think my post might be a good starter for the graduate studies thread, but abeg o you gurus should open it oh  Grin Grin Grin Grin.

All that avails is flight
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by EdConsult: 2:43pm On Jun 07, 2010
Spam's going crazy but I put a response in my previous posts.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by seuncaroline: 2:58pm On Jun 07, 2010
@Edconsult, many thanks for taking the bull by the horn to opening this thread.
@SCYLA, I think your school chioces are great, like SAFEAGO posted on gre thread, its vital u consider some low-profile schs incase u have low GRE scores, then u wud ve more options.
@everyone, I wud like anyone preparing for the GRE too to practice with me AS I HOPE TO WRITE IN 2-3MONTHS TIME. i ve got great prep materials too but mainly soft copies.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 8:41pm On Jun 07, 2010
- I would advise you to add more schools. Graduate school admissions especially for Texas A&M and University of Texas are very very intense especially in the field of petroleum engineering. Considering the fact that Texas (Like Aberdeen in the UK, and Alberta in Canada, is the center of a significant amount of oil activity- it would be understandable why these two schools would be the top choices for petroleum engineering. LSU and Oklahoma, though less difficult than both schools are still difficult for the same reason. Louisiana and Oklahoma have a large number of oil companies based there.
In fact when my cousin say LSU I first vex am oh, I say which one be state university for the matter but it seems the school is a good school I would definitely add that, but is there no cap on the amount of schools one applies to, I read somewhere in the general visa thread about someone who was asked how many schools he applied to, I dont know if it is relevant but how much would be optimum?

- This depends on the program. Usually graduate schools in the US evaluate US students based on research experience, recommendations, SOP, GPA and GRE. For foreign students from countries like Nigeria, where research opportunities are rae, they would evaluate you on related work experience. So Yes, relevant work experience does play a role. So I am not talking of just being a cyber cafe manager and applying for petroleum engineer, but working as a field engineer for an oil company or something in that respect. Working on particular projects that involve research are further important. You should emphasize these work skills in your SOP.
O boy there is no research in this country, the only time I worked in the oil industry was during my IT like I said earlier and it was a six month stint. But there is not I can do now, our applications have to go in by december no?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 8:54pm On Jun 07, 2010
- Refer to my previous posts. It is also possible to get jobs in other countries. This is quite possible. Be proactive. Drop your resume with oil companies in France, the Middle East, UK and Canada. Call and find out if they accept you and emphasize your graduate skills to them.
I would be taking you on this later, for now how about we come up with some sort of road map that students can follow?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by dayokanu(m): 9:22pm On Jun 07, 2010
I would suggest you consider the cost of these schools before deciding. Cos If you have no funding, you dont want to be stuck in the middle.

Texas A&M has Pet Engr in College Station but unless you are paying in state it might be expensive.

Check LSU and Oklahoma as well
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 10:20pm On Jun 07, 2010
I would suggest you consider the cost of these schools before deciding. Cos If you have no funding, you dont want to be stuck in the middle.

Texas A&M has Pet Engr in College Station but unless you are paying in state it might be expensive.

Check LSU and Oklahoma as well
Thanks, I am actually confused as to how to calculate the total cost. In UK schools they give you the lump sum, but it seems its different in the US where they charge based on credit unit, are you familiar with how it is calculated?

For instance in the cost for this program at imperial college is about 20,000 pounds ( I hope I am right) and that is the tuition, and that of texas A & M out of state school fees (assuming the worst) is about 13,000 dollars is this for just one semester? or the whole program?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by EdConsult: 1:22am On Jun 08, 2010
SCYLLA:

Thanks, I am actually confused as to how to calculate the total cost. In UK schools they give you the lump sum, but it seems its different in the US where they charge based on credit unit, are you familiar with how it is calculated?

For instance in the cost for this program at imperial college is about 20,000 pounds ( I hope I am right) and that is the tuition, and that of texas A & M out of state school fees (assuming the worst) is about 13,000 dollars is this for just one semester? or the whole program?

Imperial College engineering program is around 23,000 pounds. The difference between the US and UK is that in the UK engineering and science fees are more than other courses. Most schools in the UK divide there fees into bands with engineering courses in the highest band for feels while courses like finance, business, social sciences and arts cost lower fees. In the US, they charge you the same regardless of what you are studying.

I think its around that for a semester- check it carefully, they could be a bit vague.

Go to this site: http://ogs.tamu.edu/prospective/financial/expenses-and-financial-aid
                        http://finance.tamu.edu/sbs/

The cost for new nonresidential and international students is about $26,000.

So I would hedge a bet that this is the total cost.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by EdConsult: 1:44am On Jun 08, 2010
but it seems its different in the US where they charge based on credit unit, are you familiar with how it is calculated?

I have an idea- TAMU probably operates under the 30-36 credit system each year, and it cost around $502 for each credit system, so it would cost around 15,000 dollars minimum for a year of tuition. Trust me this is cheap. Private schools cost 2.5 times more.

So its likely it cost $15,000 for course work each year for TAMU- do some research on this though.

It takes approximately 1.5 to 2.5 years to complete a masters at TAMU
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by EdConsult: 1:57am On Jun 08, 2010
In fact when my cousin say LSU I first vex am oh, I say which one be state university for the matter but it seems the school is a good school I would definitely add that, but is there no cap on the amount of schools one applies to, I read somewhere in the general visa thread about someone who was asked how many schools he applied to, I dont know if it is relevant but how much would be optimum?

There is no cap on the number of schools you can apply to for graduate school. The US embassy asks you how many schools you are applying to so as to ascertain if you are a genuine student. Usually 5-6 sounds goods. Usually the question is framed as- what schools did you apply to?

Not really but you could search around. However I dont think they require research from Nigerians. What they would prefer is very high grades. Try and emphasize that you were the best in your department, and make sure this is highlighted in your recommendations
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by Confilass: 11:41am On Jun 08, 2010
Edconsult, I appreciate your concern on this issue.

I intend to study abroad but at the moment I am working as Piping Designer (with Mech. Engr.). My discipline was Accounting and I've a degree.

've been told just like I read from u dat without experience it's not going to be easy. How can I trash this issue out? Need to go for my Post graduate there.

I can't go back to rewrite WAEC for Physics and Chem. and not ready to go to 1st degree there.

Need ur advise.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 11:42am On Jun 08, 2010
I have an idea- TAMU probably operates under the 30-36 credit system each year, and it cost around $502 for each credit system, so it would cost around 15,000 dollars minimum for a year of tuition. Trust me this is cheap. Private schools cost 2.5 times more.

So its likely it cost $15,000 for course work each year for TAMU- do some research on this though.

It takes approximately 1.5 to 2.5 years to complete a masters at TAMU

I think we have to break it down so anyone reading this would understand. I am sure cost would be divided mainly into
[list]
[li]Tuition[/li]
[li]Living expenses[/li]
[li]Accomodation[/li]
[/list]

So 26,00 is just for tuition or every thing?

The Financial Aid Office’s basic budget for new graduate students including tuition and fees, books, supplies, transportation, room and board, incidental and living expenses comes to about $20,000. Total expenses for returning students during an academic year should be slightly less than those for new students. The cost for new nonresidential and international students is about $26,000.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by EdConsult: 11:18pm On Jun 08, 2010
I think we have to break it down so anyone reading this would understand. I am sure cost would be divided mainly into

* Tuition
* Living expenses
* Accomodation
So 26,000 is just for tuition or every thing?

As I said earlier, its for everything. Tuition should be in the 15,000 category (depending on how much credits you take), while Accomodation+living expenses would be around 11,000 dollars. Please check with the school to verify this.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by EdConsult: 11:20pm On Jun 08, 2010
I intend to study abroad but at the moment I am working as Piping Designer (with Mech. Engr.). My discipline was Accounting and I've a degree.

've been told just like I read from u dat without experience it's not going to be easy. How can I trash this issue out? Need to go for my Post graduate there.

I dont understand this question. Whats did you study in university? Where do you work now? And what do you want to do for post graduate?

I would need further elucidation before I can offer any advise.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by Confilass: 2:44pm On Jun 09, 2010
I study Accounting, work in an Engineering Co. but as a Autocad Designer in Mech. Engineering field.

I need to do my post graduate abroad. I want a course that will comprehend or combined the two. 've been told that since I ddin't practice as an Accountant and no experience it will be difficult for me in Social sciences area.

Hope u understand my plight now. Thx
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by jidebiz(m): 10:35pm On Jun 09, 2010
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by EdConsult: 5:32am On Jun 11, 2010
Confilass:

I study Accounting, work in an Engineering Co. but as a Autocad Designer in Mech. Engineering field.

I need to do my post graduate abroad. I want a course that will comprehend or combined the two. 've been told that since I ddin't practice as an Accountant and no experience it will be difficult for me in Social sciences area.

Hope u understand my plight now. Thx

Its possible for you to study in the social sciences area. Work experience is just one of the numerous criteria used by graduate schools. You could try and study MEM- a masters program in Engineering Management thats the only course I know that combines them. IS your work heaving engineering based- I am trying to understand how an accountant could work in an engineering field.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by billysmith: 12:32am On Jun 12, 2010
huyenmi1978@yahoo.com
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SHILPAIYR: 9:50am On Jun 14, 2010
Hi ppl,

I have written my GRE and TOEFL, And i have applied to university of alberta for fall,chem engg, However I havnt recieved ny reply from the univ, Any ideas when the admits will be announced?any of u got ny replies from this univ?
awaiting reply, thanks, smiley
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by layzie: 9:55am On Jun 15, 2010
Hi ppl,

I have written my GRE and TOEFL, And i have applied to university of alberta for fall,chem engg, However I havnt recieved ny reply from the univ, Any ideas when the admits will be announced?any of u got ny replies from this univ?

How much is the GRE exams and how can i register for it??
Thanks
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by benom(m): 11:05pm On Jun 29, 2010
Hi guys,
I have taken my GRE and i scored 1330. I need to know state schools that can grant tuition waivers or scholarship with this score. I am planning to go for graduate studies.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by jamebex(m): 2:01am On Jul 04, 2010
Hi all thanks for all your contributions so far.I am a college student in 2nd semester of my 2nd year in biochemistry.I will be going to the US for my phd in biochemistry immidiatly after my undergrad studies,I have so far seen that research experience and publication is highly needed for gaining admmission but in a country like ours i do not think i will have any of this after my degree.Pls is there any route one can take to have any these here in Nigeria before graduating? Secondly is the practicals and the final year project considered? Pls construtive idea and advice is needed. NOTE am in 200 level 2nd semester
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by jamebex(m): 6:37am On Jul 05, 2010
Pls folks help me answer the above questions
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by jamebex(m): 7:02pm On Jul 05, 2010
still waiting ohh
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by EdConsult: 12:10pm On Jul 07, 2010
Hi all thanks for all your contributions so far.I am a college student in 2nd semester of my 2nd year in biochemistry.I will be going to the US for my phd in biochemistry immidiatly after my undergrad studies,I have so far seen that research experience and publication is highly needed for gaining admmission but in a country like ours i do not think i will have any of this after my degree.Pls is there any route one can take to have any these here in Nigeria before graduating? Secondly is the practicals and the final year project considered? Pls construtive idea and advice is needed. NOTE am in 200 level 2nd semester

For PhD biochemistry research experience is of paramount importance- is it possible for you to talk to your lecturers about this? Approach them and find out if any professor does research in your department. However if you have very good results like a first class- then your project work could be sufficient for getting into some programs.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by drstasi: 11:25pm On Aug 23, 2010
Hi.Plw where and how can i register for the GRE?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 11:15am On Sep 22, 2010
So I got 1220 in my GRE Q700 and V520, I am very disappointed sha so many things happened that were way outta my control, I did not even report my scores because I wanted to sit and think if I should retake it. What do you think guys?

BTW I got my first rejection today from the University of Alberta (they did not need GRE so I sent a prelim application) and I must say it is very heart wrenching, I have not had a bad couple of days like this in a long long long while.

So thread resurrected!
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by seuncaroline: 3:24pm On Sep 22, 2010
SCYLLA:

So I got 1220 in my GRE Q700 and V520, I am very disappointed sha so many things happened that were way outta my control, I did not even report my scores because I wanted to sit and think if I should retake it. What do you think guys?

BTW I got my first rejection today from the University of Alberta (they did not need GRE so I sent a prelim application) and I must say it is very heart wrenching, I have not had a bad couple of days like this in a long long long while.

So thread resurrected!

@scylla
congrats for ur score,
ur UA rejection didnt come as a surprise to me as one of my guys that met all req on their website also applied without gre and spent like N30-45k for transcript,fedex,$100 app fee, yet got same reply,

one advice i gave him initially was---there are limited schools in the world doin master, petroleum engr(4in canada,17-20 in US, 3-5 in UK, 1 in Holland and Germany and so on) and competition is pretty rife. So Zap the crap they posted on their website that nigerians and chinese ve special req and dont need gre, blah, blah,blah,

Imagine a situation where over 500-1000 applicants(including u and others without gre) applied for just 30-40 slots and like 250 has gre with >700Q score plus other req that u ve, UA w'd ve no chioce than to tell you to shove your app up ur ass. Its painful, but you cud reapply now that u ve ur gre but for an engineerring course and a scarse one like Petro engr, i'd advice u hit a Q score of >750 with a CGPA of >=4.0/5.0 to stand a good chance, else, you might just be throwing away another $100(Canadian) again,

congrats again and success in ur decison.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SCYLLA: 6:54pm On Sep 22, 2010
seuncaroline:

@scylla
congrats for your score,
your UA rejection didnt come as a surprise to me as one of my guys that met all req on their website also applied without gre and spent like N30-45k for transcript,fedex,$100 app fee, yet got same reply,

one advice i gave him initially was---there are limited schools in the world doin master, petroleum engr(4in canada,17-20 in US, 3-5 in UK, 1 in Holland and Germany and so on) and competition is pretty rife. So Zap the crap they posted on their website that nigerians and chinese ve special req and dont need gre, blah, blah,blah,

Imagine a situation where over 500-1000 applicants(including u and others without gre) applied for just 30-40 slots and like 250 has gre with >700Q score plus other req that u ve, UA w'd ve no chioce than to tell you to shove your app up your backside. Its painful, but you cud reapply now that u ve your gre but for an engineerring course and a scarse one like Petro engr, i'd advice u hit a Q score of >750 with a CGPA of >=4.0/5.0 to stand a good chance, else, you might just be throwing away another $100(Canadian) again,

congrats again and success in your decison.
I tire for the whole thing oh, they specifically say they do not need GRE and on their website the minimum from Nigerian Universities is a 2-1 which if just 3.5 and my GPA was 3.90 total my last two years of school sits at about 4.2xxx but I cannot begin to measure my disappointment. I was even thinking that canada would be a wild card school for me just incase the American schools do not give my any admission.

I have also been thinking about my GRE score and I am actually wondering if I should retake, the conditions on the day were hard but during my prep my average score was 740 with the highest being 790 and lowest 670. I am not so sure if retaking it to get a score of 750 would really be worth it in the long run as most schools emphasize that it is the whole process that is looked at and not just one parameter.
Furthermore I think it is my moving from mechanical to petroleum and my lack of real working experience that did me in. I really feel so so down.

I only found UofA and UofCalgary offering petroleum engineering, which other two schools offer the course?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nairaland Interschool debate: Obafemi Awolowo University winner 8 / "all Protocols Duly Observed": A Grammatical Blunder? / Esut 2009/2010 Admission List Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.