Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,844 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! (1081 Views)

Women Who Helped Changed Our World Technology #women'sday / How Has Programming Changed Your Life And The Way You Think? / I Changed My Life With One Book. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 27, 2018
Many of you are already familiar with the guy behind this username, and how + why i deleted my previous account.
There's a problem with the tech ecosystem and I'm not here to repeat facts or cry over spilt milk but to send a message to "whoever it may concern" and anyone that cares to listen.

There's a young dude on Nairaland "elvis10ten" that shared his experiences when he was 14 about coding with a Nokia J2me feature phone and developing an app out of it... As you'd expect, "know it all" devs jumped on and criticized the OP's idea and efforts with few sensible people in support of his creativity and passion for programming. Long story short, Elvis now works at a US based MIT startup, DotLearn and is living his dreams working a role most random developer s never get. Let's learn to embrace and support each other, show some love... The next internet sensation may end up being one of the people reading this.

As i mentioned earlier, i'm not here to repeat facts but to let those few sane developers left around, know that the problem was never Nairaland or Seun but US. Let's change our mentality and manner of approach, instead of targeting Nairaland by building fierce competition, let's focus our energy on things that really matter and build healthy competition.
Let's research, solve problems and contribute to the Nigerian tech revolution instead of tackling each other like confused barbarians. Let's change our mentality, for good!

4 Likes

Re: It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 27, 2018
Oh my gosh I feel like crying cry!!!

That Elvis guy's story is my life right now. I've been coding in my phone since I was 13. And right now I'm building apps and learning and practicing machine learning all from my phone cry!!!
Re: It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jun 27, 2018
Darivie04:

That Elvis guy's story is my life right now. I've been coding in my phone since I was 13. And right now I'm building apps and learning and practicing machine learning all from my phone cry!!!

While it may seem unrealistic, please don't give up. The most important thing for one in life is to find their purpose... For once the use of a thing is not known, abuse is inevitable including humans.

While Elvis may have been able to pull that off, you have to take into consideration the time at which he did so and the conditions around. Doing what Elvis did today is definitely more difficult because most of the tools he used would've been deprecated however you can still be able to code on Android and while it's not the best approach, you just have to use what you have, to get what you want.
Goodluck.

2 Likes

Re: It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 27, 2018
Darivie04:

And i forgot to mention I'm totally interested in learning how you were able to experiment machine learning on your mobile device. What OS, Language and tools do you use?

2 Likes

Re: It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 27, 2018
DanTheGeek:

While it may seem unrealistic, please don't give up. The most important thing for one in life is to find their purpose... For once the use of a thing is not known, abuse is inevitable including humans.

While Elvis may have been able to pull that off, you have to take into consideration the time at which he did so and the conditions around. Doing what Elvis did today is definitely more difficult because most of the tools he used would've been deprecated however you can still be able to code on Android and while it's not the best approach, you just have to use what you have, to get what you want.
Goodluck.

Lol you said the tools he used would have depracated, I think the opposite....

Coding on Android might not be as cool or powerful as coding on a laptop but its still has some good tools.

The devs that make the apps I use for coding usually add and update their apps adding new features. And when I get programming books I see I can do practically all the stuff they mention.
Re: It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 27, 2018
I do ML using Pydroid a full scale Python IDE.

I can download any library or module I need using pip and it comes with a terminal and interpreter. It also supports the main game and gui python kits PyGame, Tkinter, PyQt5 e.t.c

All data science and ML libraries can be downloaded like a normal IDE the only exception is TensorFlow. Web scraping, networking, hacking e.t.c can also be done.

Practically its a normal IDE and I can do everything I see in my programming books.
Re: It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! by richebony: 8:07pm On Jun 27, 2018
Nice write-up...and it's good to have you back
Re: It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! by wane01(m): 8:16pm On Jun 27, 2018
DanTheGeek:
Many of you are already familiar with the guy behind this username, and how + why i deleted my previous account.
There's a problem with the tech ecosystem and I'm not here to repeat facts or cry over spilt milk but to send a message to "whoever it may concern" and anyone that cares to listen.

There's a young dude on Nairaland "elvis10ten" that shared his experiences when he was 14 about coding with a Nokia J2me feature phone and developing an app out of it... As you'd expect, "know it all" devs jumped on and criticized the OP's idea and efforts with few sensible people in support of his creativity and passion for programming. Long story short, Elvis now works at a US based MIT startup, DotLearn and is living his dreams working a role most random developer s never get. Let's learn to embrace and support each other, show some love... The next internet sensation may end up being one of the people reading this.

As i mentioned earlier, i'm not here to repeat facts but to let those few sane developers left around, know that the problem was never Nairaland or Seun but US. Let's change our mentality and manner of approach, instead of targeting Nairaland by building fierce competition, let's focus our energy on things that really matter and build healthy competition.
Let's research, solve problems and contribute to the Nigerian tech revolution instead of tackling each other like confused barbarians. Let's change our mentality, for good!
DANIELTHEGEEK !!!
Nice to have a brother back ..
To be frank the issue you mentioned emanates from our mindset .. Recently i stumbled a thread made by febup where he talked about self taught programmers and i was blown away by his mental disposition ...
By the way hows your game project going?
Re: It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! by Nobody: 11:10am On Jun 28, 2018
Darivie04:

Lol you said the tools he used would have depracated, I think the opposite....

Coding on Android might not be as cool or powerful as coding on a laptop but its still has some good tools.

The devs that make the apps I use for coding usually add and update their apps adding new features. And when I get programming books I see I can do practically all the stuff they mention.

I said, the tools he used... He was coding on a J2ME phone which is even scarce in the market. I know android has a lot of tools and if you have an external keyboard plugged in with your phone screen casted to your TV then you can do almost anything... The problem will be testing, but it shouldn't be that difficult if you know what you're doing...

2 Likes

Re: It's High Time We Changed Our Mentality For Good! by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 28, 2018
wane01:

DANIELTHEGEEK !!!
Nice to have a brother back ..
To be frank the issue you mentioned emanates from our mindset .. Recently i stumbled a thread made by febup where he talked about self taught programmers and i was blown away by his mental disposition ...
By the way hows your game project going?

hey, nice to hear from you again. The game project got suspended even though we were making progress... We weren't meeting our monthly goals and we all had demanding day jobs so we had to suspend the project.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Review My Site UI Update / Between Vb6 & Vb.net / How To Get A Magstripe Reader With Interfacable Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.