Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? (41968 Views)

Ronaldo's Fans Chanted “Messi” In Portugal Game Against Serbia / What Rohr Told Super Eagles Players After Defeat Against Serbia / Mikel Obi, Etebo, Ebuehi To Start Against Serbia On Tuesday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 28, 2018
The two players each crossed their hands into an eagle gesture after finding the net in the World Cup Group E clash against serbia.
Xherdan Shaqiri and Granit Xhaka both performed 'double eagle' hand gestures after scoring for Switzerland against Serbia on Friday, seemingly making a clear political statement.

Both players appeared to evoke the Albanian flag after finding the net in the 2-1 victory for the Swiss that saw Shaqiri slot home a late winner.

The 26-year-old kept his cool in the 90th minute of the crucial World Cup Group E clash to complete Switzerland's comeback after they had fallen behind early on in the first half.
As he wheeled away in celebration, the Kosovo-born playmaker crossed his hands to imitate an eagle, which appears on Albania's flag, prompting reporters to ask whether the gesture was a statement in light of Serbia's failure to recognise his birthplace as an independent state.

"I don't want to speak about this," Shaqiri replied. "In football you always have emotions. You can see what I did, I have emotions.
"I am happy to score this goal. We don't have to speak about this now."

Granit Xhaka celebrated in a similar way after scoring a brilliant long-range goal, with both players having Albanian heritage. Xhaka's father was imprisoned for demonstrating against Serbia's government in the 1980s.

Shaqiri was born in the Kosovan city of Gjilan, but was forced to move to Switzerland with his Kosovar-Albanian parents at just four-years of age. He acquired Swiss citizenship through residency, with the family unable to return to their homeland when war broke out.
Serbia refuses to recognise Kosovo's independence, despite gaining self-governance in 2008, meaning that tensions remain high in the region The Stoke City player also wore boots featuring both the Swiss and Kosovan flags.

Switzerland captain Stephan Lichtsteiner, meanwhile, came to the defence of Shaqiri and team-mate Xhaka, Lichtsteiner feels that the political backdrop made the game a difficult one for his team-mates. "We have a lot of Albanians, so there is a lot of history between Serbia and Albania. It was a very tough game for them mentally."
New Arsenal signing Lichtsteiner believes that his team-mates were well within their rights to celebrate the way they did, despite the possibility that Xhaka and Shaqiri could face fines from FIFA for making political statements during the World Cup.
"This is the history for them," the full-back said. "The war between them was so difficult. I spoke to the father of one of our players who is Albanian, and he told me about this history. This is more than football. This is more than football because they have this period, this war that gave them both big problems.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/why-did-xhaka-shaqiri-celebrate-by-making-double-eagle-signs/1lspggc9l9u4c10z6ettjsyqnh

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Sirpaul(m): 5:57pm On Jun 28, 2018
If you ask me.... na who i go ask

9 Likes

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by hisexcellency34: 5:58pm On Jun 28, 2018
Who cares? 5 African teams, none made it to Second Round courtesy of FIFA Fraud

175 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jun 28, 2018
Ok

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by uzoma213(m): 5:58pm On Jun 28, 2018
To the guys above me

15 Likes

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by ifedolapoferanm(m): 5:58pm On Jun 28, 2018

1 Like

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Nbote(m): 5:58pm On Jun 28, 2018
Dat is not ur problem and doesn't concern U. In laymans language, Dey were showing support for their own Biafra which is Albania.. D Eagle is d Symbol of Kosovo and Serbia was their Nigeria dat showed dem nweee.. Xhaka and Shaqiri are both Albanians by birth before choosing to play for switzerland.. Till today Serbia has refused to recognise them as an independent region. They were both fined for it and d Albanian leader opened up an account and asked Albanians to contribute to paying their fine

hisexcellency34:

Make Africa no go learn ball , keep crying foul every time... Egypt couldn't beat a Saudi Arabia, Morocco played well too late themselves same for Tunisia and Nigeria have no idea what game management is... Senegal decided to play like imbeciles afta doing so well in their first 2 games.... Mane and Niang decided to not pass d ball to themselves and U are here crying conspiracy... D fair play rule has been in existence before now

95 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by gabazin080(m): 5:58pm On Jun 28, 2018
h
Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by bazkid24(m): 5:58pm On Jun 28, 2018
This is all I have to say

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by ALAYORMII: 5:58pm On Jun 28, 2018
Because they feel like
Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Olabenjamen22(m): 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2018
Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by BOOMnaija(m): 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2018
He's trying to say they did to Serbia wat d super eagles couldn't do to them in d friendly prior to the world cup. Simple
Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by id911(m): 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2018
Though they represent Switzerland, they are originally from Kosovo. Serbia and Kosovo are like cat and dog. Serbia doesn't recognize the breakaway Kosovo as a country but unfortunately US, UK, UN, etc have all recognized Kosovo as an independent country.

FIFA has already imposed a fine of $20k on them for the celebrations. However, Kosovo and Albania have jointly notified that they will pay the fine on behalf of the two players

19 Likes

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Icon4s(m): 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2018
They are both of Albanian origin.

Albania has had age long diplomatic issues with Serbia.

So the Win for Switzerland from a goal scored by an Albanian is a bitter pill to swallow for the Serbians. Hence Shaqiri and Xhaka had to present it as also a win for Albania, their country of origin.

18 Likes

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by kristonium(m): 5:59pm On Jun 28, 2018
We will start hearing Illuminati ish now

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Zaikon(m): 6:01pm On Jun 28, 2018
Their PROBLEM
Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Basitelo1(m): 6:01pm On Jun 28, 2018
Make Mikel do for Biafra when he score

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Folashade2016(f): 6:01pm On Jun 28, 2018
Their problem.
Maybe self they are insinuating that super eagles refused to mourn victims of Jos massacre self.

Abeggii check my SIGNATURE

1 Like

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 28, 2018
hisexcellency34:
cos they were nt good enuf

5 Likes

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by kolnel: 6:02pm On Jun 28, 2018
Lol
We gonna be hearing different versions soon
Illuminati et cetera
People have been making signs from time immemorial
Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by footballflaver: 6:02pm On Jun 28, 2018
This has made fp previously
Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Emmanuel602(m): 6:03pm On Jun 28, 2018
hisexcellency34:

Senegal own weak me like WTF is fair play? As if the referees were fair to African teams

1 Like

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by frankblinkz(m): 6:04pm On Jun 28, 2018
plz I haven't gotten likes on nairaland...I jst want beg,kindly gv a brother in need of likes..One 9jeria.

24 Likes

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Damfostopper(m): 6:09pm On Jun 28, 2018
Mtcheeeeeeeew

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by LesbianBoy(m): 6:09pm On Jun 28, 2018
OP.....because they are both fans of the number one stunna BIRDMAN grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by lisbonabdulahi: 6:13pm On Jun 28, 2018
bazkid24:
This is all I have to say
nice concept please I have earned one
Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by Viktor1983(m): 6:16pm On Jun 28, 2018
Interesting thread, dumb responses.

Here's a wiki link summarising the serbia/Kosovo issues.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo–Serbia_relations

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by cescky(m): 6:18pm On Jun 28, 2018
These guys are heroes and deserve some respect...

If Mikel and Moses had some sense..they would have made similar gesture against the killings in Jos...but what do they know? Na to chop them Sabi, do back flip

1 Like

Re: Why Did Xhaka & Shaqiri Celebrate By Making 'double Eagle' Signs Against Serbia? by ayookunlee: 6:19pm On Jun 28, 2018
shocked I thought they were supporting super eagles na

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Emmanuel Adebayor Shed More Light About Is Brother Rotimi Adebayor / Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France / Man Utd Reach Agreement With Rangnick To Become Interim Manager - The Athletic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.