Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Iphone 4 Finally Out - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Iphone 4 Finally Out (6500 Views)

Wow Innjoo Inote Is Finally Out #low Price Superb Features / Iphone 4 Explodes Midflight On Australian Airline / Unlock Your Iphone 4/5/5C And 5S Permanently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by Sauron1: 1:40pm On Jun 09, 2010
texazzpete:

Please mention any other phone in the world that has similar 'features and functions'.

At the end of the day, what you guys fail to realise is that specs matter little - it's the ultimate user experience that wins overall. The Nokia N97 is loaded to the hilt with all the bells and whistles. Guess what? it's a thoroughly mediocre phone that even Nokia have gone on record to express grave disappointment with the finished product. The N96 had better specs than the N95 in almost every way. It sucked.
The ultimate reason why Apple sells so many iPhone is that the overall user experience is top notch in every way. From the build quality to the OS, to the plethora of available apps, it just feels complete.

+1
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by texazzpete(m): 1:56pm On Jun 09, 2010
ruba_slipa:

, but the avantage that HTC Desire has is that the Android system is much more free than Apple's system, so you can add this and that software, add any music you feel like, give out that music to your friends, in fact, make the phone do anything you want - very unlike Iphone. I'm a hacker, so that's what I like. cheesy

Being 'free' is somewhat overrated on the Android side. Apart from the simple truth that the iphone's appstore easily has more than three times the number of apps available to Android, the iPhone jailbreak community generates homebrew apps that rival and in most cases betters that seen on Android. SNES emulators? Already on iPhone. N64 emus? Solely on iPhone. WiFi hotspot apps? Also on iPhone.

Also, your post made me laugh. You do know you can easily add your own music to the iPhone, don't you?
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by KGNAIRA: 2:25pm On Jun 09, 2010
maileby

See you trying to redicule Naija when you don't know what is up. A new version of the Iphone was unveiled yesterday. Ipad na old story. It's everywhere here.

Next time, don't comment when you don't know.
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by knick(m): 3:17pm On Jun 09, 2010
Never an I phone fan, Still i prefer my U1i Satio,12.1 megapixel,cant do without it.

Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by texazzpete(m): 3:37pm On Jun 09, 2010
knick:

Never an I phone fan, Still i prefer my U1i Satio,12.1 megapixel,cant do without it.

I'm sorry, but we're discussing cutting edge smartphones here. The Satio doesn't measure up.
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by Sauron1: 3:44pm On Jun 09, 2010
texazzpete:

I'm sorry, but we're discussing cutting edge smartphones here. The Satio doesn't measure up.

In this day n age, no smartfone can match the iPhone. . . . .
The apps on em are just too good to be true. . . .It's the king of smart phones.
Steve Job, i doff ma hat to you. . . . .
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 09, 2010
Has this iphone started supporting FTP via bluetooth? cos last time I chkd it wasn't possible.

apple is all about marketing and hype. In Nigeria u can't flex ur iphone without owning a laptop for music and video transfers. Don't even think of downloading every single track, viddeo or pic OTA cos the cost would be outrageous.

I bet they are keeping the FTP feature to be released along with a new iphone (maybe Iphone5 or iphone6) jst as they did with video playback. . . hell yeah!
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by Dclique(m): 5:12pm On Jun 09, 2010
Iphone and BB's are just Overhyped piece of crap

Nokia Rules
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by tboy111: 5:18pm On Jun 09, 2010
texazzpete:

There are far fewer bugs in the Apple iPhone OS than in Android - and the OS is far more complete and intuitive than what you're rocking on your Desire.
Over priced?! please tell us how much the Evo 4G is on sale for in the US. The Palm Pre launched at the same $199 price point (after a $100 mail in rebate for that matter). The 16GB iPhone 4 pricing is consistent with any high-end smartphone launched in the US and the UK in recent times.

Please read any review of the HTC Desire's camera - the camera is not top-of-the-range. Equating megapixel count to image quality is just plain silly. And naturally, the iPhone 4 screen is still miles better than that in the Nexus one/Desire.

You raised some good points but lets just go through the list quickly without going into details shall we:

Weight? HTC wins
Free Sat Nav? HTC wins
Higher standby Battery? HTC wins
Larger Screen? HTC wins     [size=6pt]Although iPhones has HR, the screen is smaller. Bigger screen = Better Web Browsing and watching Videos
Less Battery Life? HTC wins
Better Storage? HTC wins

P.S: The Main feature which i pointed out might be the best was the phone conversation front camera - the problem here is you can only do this with another iphone4 owner and can only be done through wifi
Another props for iphone4 is the hd video recording BUT Desire will soon start supporting 720p HD video recording too thru a future update
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by tboy111: 5:24pm On Jun 09, 2010
Moderators: Can you pls sort out the shitty spam Bot - my normal username [b]tboy1 [/b]has been locked and i cant post with it. Pls can you unlock it. Thanks in Advance
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by bigrovar(m): 5:32pm On Jun 09, 2010
i took the iphone's announcement with so much meh, nothing announced about the new iOS is ground breaking or even revolutional. video chat has been on phones since 2005 and even the use on the iphone is limited to wifi connectivity and can only work btw iphone 4 phones, the iOS still lacks critical functionalities like multitasking and support for basic webstandard (flash) the one thing about the iphone 4 which caught my attention was the screen resolution which is the biggest yet on a phone. the iphone is still running on a closed and controlled ecosystem where apple decides every single thing that goes into the device. if this announcement was made some years ago, i might have been impressed but not in this days of evo 4 G, nexus one and nokia N8. right now android is the mobile platform of the moment and their latest update called froyo has got more features then iOS , things like ability to turn the phone into a wifi hotspot, ability to sync your music to the cloud and play them from anywhere, tight integration with google, system wide voice recognition, flash support, and google maps which brings free turn by turn navigation etc add all this to an open ecosystem and the android is no brainer, on the hardset space the HTC's EVO 4G device is a power house and it is still the best spec phone in the planet. it has 99% of what the iphone4 has (beside the gyroscope ) and packs even more juice, no wonder it completely sold out in its first day of release.

will the iphone 4 be a commercial success? no doubt. but that is more because of the appeal of the google brand than anything else. android is manking more and more in roads into tranditional apple heartland with cool innovations and openness.

what about nokia and symbian?
some one once called symbian and old and dated os and i thing he got it wrong. old yes dated well the s60 ui is very dated but symbian is deeper than just UI the under the hood stuffs is still one of the best u can find in a mobile OS in term of battery life usage and ability to perform well with low resource little wonder its the biggest mobile platform by a very wide margin more people use symbain than use windows just to put things in perspective, the problem with symbian is the UI. s60 in all its rebostiness is old and clucky. its not the most easy to use OS. nokia intends to fix this by moving the UI to that based on Qt the symbian ^3 OS is the first step towards this. but the milestone for nokia is symbian ^4 which is suppose to be a complete UI redesign and completely based on Qt. if nokia call pull it off then symabian would maintain its global lead in smartphone market share. for now symabian is still the best os in the low and mid range smartphone market although its has little hold in the high end device segment.
another thing nokia need to work on is the services round their products. ovi mail, ovi store, ovi messaging etc all need to be very stable and well integrated into their devices.

in all this year is going to be an interesting one in the mobile smartphone space, we wait to see what windows 7 series (or whatever the real name is) brings to the table and off cause there is meego the nokia intel child.
all i can say is that for phones when elephants fights. we the users wont be the grass that suffers smiley
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by tboy111: 6:09pm On Jun 09, 2010
~Sauron~:

In this day n age, no smartfone can match the iPhone. . . . .
The apps on em are just too good to be true. . . .It's the king of smart phones.
Steve Job, i doff ma hat to you. . . . .

really?
I hope you know there is no comparison between iphone 3gs and HTC Desire? No point wasting our time - we all know the result. HTC desire will only be compared to iphone 4
You'll know apple is starting to get worried when they sued HTC and Nokia
Anyways lets sit back and watch.
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by tboy111: 6:12pm On Jun 09, 2010
@ honsule and semid4lyfe

Pls can you sort out my original NL username and remove the lock - Tboy1
Thanks
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by eros(m): 6:28pm On Jun 09, 2010
knick:

Now that is what you call a phone.
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by texazzpete(m): 6:37pm On Jun 09, 2010
tboy111:

You raised some good points but lets just go through the list quickly without going into details shall we:

Weight? HTC wins
Free Sat Nav? HTC wins
Higher standby Battery? HTC wins
Larger Screen? HTC wins     [size=6pt]Although iPhones has HR, the screen is smaller. Bigger screen = Better Web Browsing and watching Videos
Less Battery Life? HTC wins
Better Storage? HTC wins

P.S: The Main feature which i pointed out might be the best was the phone conversation front camera - the problem here is you can only do this with another iphone4 owner and can only be done through wifi
Another props for iphone4 is the hd video recording BUT Desire will soon start supporting 720p HD video recording too thru a future update

1. HTC Desire wins on weight, but not on thinness/sleekness. Either way, a weight comparison is pretty silly as weight tolerance is actually subjective
2. Better sat nav software exists on the Appstore. In fact, you're spoiled for choice really. If we're gonna debate on the stock apps included in the phone, we may have to call out Android's mediocre default music and video apps.
3 & 5. Most reviews call out the HTC Desire for having mediocre battery life. I think this is a loss here  grin
4. Yeah, slightly larger screen. But the increased resolution on the iPhone 4 more than makes up for this. You display more web content in one go on the iPhone 4's screen, you'll be able to play back hi-res video, play games with higher resolution and actually have a screen that's pretty well readable in sunlight, unlike to AMOLED screen used in the Desire. Plus, the iPhone 4's IPS tech ensures viewing angles are superb.
The iPhone 3GS had a more precise, sensitive screen than the nexus One/desire anyway.

These comparisons are pretty silly anyway. People tend to vote with their dollars and choose what they really want. The plain fact is, people are sticking with the iPhone because the total user experience is killer. Plus the AppStore apps are a pretty compelling reason to stick with the iPhone.
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by wazobiang: 6:55pm On Jun 09, 2010
buy one for me. i beg u.
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by toladop(m): 9:50pm On Jun 09, 2010
bigrovar:

i took the iphone's announcement with so much meh, nothing announced about the new iOS is ground breaking or even revolutional. video chat has been on phones since 2005 and even the use on the iphone is limited to wifi connectivity and can only work btw iphone 4 phones,[b] the iOS still lacks critical functionalities like multitasking and support for basic webstandard (flash) [/b]the one thing about the iphone 4 which caught my attention was the screen resolution which is the biggest yet on a phone. the iphone is still running on a closed and controlled ecosystem where apple decides every single thing that goes into the device. if this announcement was made some years ago, i might have been impressed but not in this days of evo 4 G, nexus one and nokia N8. right now android is the mobile platform of the moment and their latest update called froyo has got more features then iOS , things like ability to turn the phone into a wifi hotspot, ability to sync your music to the cloud and play them from anywhere, tight integration with google, system wide voice recognition, flash support, and google maps which brings free turn by turn navigation etc add all this to an open ecosystem and the android is no brainer, on the hardset space the HTC's EVO 4G device is a power house and it is still the best spec phone in the planet. it has 99% of what the iphone4 has (beside the gyroscope ) and packs even more juice, no wonder it completely sold out in its first day of release.

will the iphone 4 be a commercial success? no doubt. but that is more because of the appeal of the google brand than anything else. android is manking more and more in roads into tranditional apple heartland with cool innovations and openness.

what about nokia and symbian?
some one once called symbian and old and dated os and i thing he got it wrong. old yes dated well the s60 ui is very dated but symbian is deeper than just UI the under the hood stuffs is still one of the best u can find in a mobile OS in term of battery life usage and ability to perform well with low resource little wonder its the biggest mobile platform by a very wide margin more people use symbain than use windows just to put things in perspective, the problem with symbian is the UI. s60 in all its rebostiness is old and clucky. its not the most easy to use OS. nokia intends to fix this by moving the UI to that based on Qt the symbian ^3 OS is the first step towards this. but the milestone for nokia is symbian ^4 which is suppose to be a complete UI redesign and completely based on Qt. if nokia call pull it off then symabian would maintain its global lead in smartphone market share. for now symabian is still the best os in the low and mid range smartphone market although its has little hold in the high end device segment.
another thing nokia need to work on is the services round their products. ovi mail, ovi store, ovi messaging etc all need to be very stable and well integrated into their devices.

in all this year is going to be an interesting one in the mobile smartphone space, we wait to see what windows 7 series (or whatever the real name is) brings to the table and off cause there is meego the nokia intel child.
all i can say is that for phones when elephants fights. we the users wont be the grass that suffers smiley
The iPhone4 now has multitasking. Trust Apple on d flash, they are gonna force HTML5
By d way, i don enter homepage after how may years wink
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by shotster50(m): 10:18pm On Jun 09, 2010
Apple is taking this ish too far. Some of their consumers are still getting into the 3GS and the iphone 4 is already out, Bet by the time most people start using Iphone 4 you would have iphone 4gs. Ruthless marketing,
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by leuelliot(m): 10:52pm On Jun 09, 2010
Apple rocks, grin take the GPU in an ipod touch or an iphone no other phone not even my satio u1 is able to deliver that much graphics.
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by Mariory(m): 4:22am On Jun 10, 2010
Personally, I think the future of mobile devices is the Android. By the way you can dual boot the Android on an iPhone. grin
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by Nobody: 8:46am On Jun 10, 2010
An Absolute Machine! d iPhone is still da Bomb!
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by bigrovar(m): 9:32am On Jun 10, 2010
toladop:

The iPhone4 now has multitasking.
Nope it doesn't the iOS would allow some services to run in the background and the number of services are very limited (like 7) there include things like music streaming, Voip etc. what this means is that if I have an app which streams music and decide to run another app. Even though the musicc streaming app would be closed. the stream services (running in the background i.e the process streaming the music) would continue to run even though the app is closed. It basically allows some services to run as daemons. Because of this we can see the ability to make skype and receive calls cause Voip is one of the services which is allowed to run in the background so the skype services can be allowed to run in the background even though the skype application is closed. Any application whose service is not among the chosen 7 would not even be able to take advantage of this feature. Hence if I write a game app and u want to switch from the game to read a text msg. the game would be closed (or the state saved and closed) That is different from what u get on android or symbian where u can switch from one app to another (while the previous app still continue to run in the background)

Trust Apple on d flash, they are gonna force HTML5
By d way, i don enter homepage after how may years wink
I said iOS lacks support for major web standards. even though I hate flash I can not deny that its a major web standard. html5 is still very much in its infancy and not many sites use it yet. what the Iphone gives u due to its lack of flash support is a broken web. take it or leave it.
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by olatunjin(m): 11:10am On Jun 10, 2010
i enjoy my Nokia X3 And Nokia 5230 more then any ipod phone,i am a fan of nokia so stop bothering about ipod.huh
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by leuelliot(m): 5:59pm On Jun 10, 2010
olatunji_n:

i enjoy my Nokia X3 And Nokia 5230 more then any ipod phone,i am a fan of nokia so stop bothering about ipod.huh

Guy these are barely above middle class Nokia phones. an i device beats them both
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by texazz: 7:07pm On Jun 10, 2010
bigrovar:

Nope it doesn't the iOS would allow some services to run in the background and the number of services are very limited (like 7) there include things like music streaming, Voip etc. what this means is that if I have an app which streams music and decide to run another app. Even though the musicc streaming app would be closed. the stream services (running in the background i.e the process streaming the music) would continue to run even though the app is closed. It basically allows some services to run as daemons. Because of this we can see the ability to make skype and receive calls cause Voip is one of the services which is allowed to run in the background so the skype services can be allowed to run in the background even though the skype application is closed. Any application whose service is not among the chosen 7 would not even be able to take advantage of this feature. Hence if I write a game app and u want to switch from the game to read a text msg. the game would be closed (or the state saved and closed) That is different from what u get on android or symbian where u can switch from one app to another (while the previous app still continue to run in the background)

Nope. The game won't close. it'll be paused - save state like you said, but it won't close. And you can just return back to where you left off.
But seriously, the multitasking argument from android fans is kinda lame these days. Multitask/background apps is easily enabled through several jailbreak solutions.
And in before any snarky comments from Android users about not having to jailbreak, we'd have to agree that any serious Andoid fan really has to root his device. And iPhone jailbreaks are far easier these days than rooting Android phones.

bigrovar:

I said iOS lacks support for major web standards. even though I hate flash I can not deny that its a major web standard. html5 is still very much in its infancy and not many sites use it yet. what the Iphone gives u due to its lack of flash support is a broken web. take it or leave it.

i'd call flash a plugin, not a web standard.
Even though the absence of flash does hurt, it's not a crippling omission. People tend to vote with their dollars, and millions are making sure that the iPhone has more mobile browser share than any other phone in the world.
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by oloritinu: 9:07pm On Jun 10, 2010
nonsense,how many phones are we going to have.technology will not cease- by the time apple gets to iphone Gmillions the world will come to an end. now apple ipad is out before august ipadG followed by ipadGs ,ipad2G and so on. rubbish
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by texazz: 11:08pm On Jun 10, 2010
oloritinu:

nonsense,how many phones are we going to have.technology will not cease- by the time apple gets to iphone Gmillions the world will come to an end. now apple ipad is out before august ipadG followed by ipadGs ,ipad2G and so on. rubbish

You do realize that Apple releases their phones on a yearly cycle? It's nobody's fault that the iPhone 4 comes out just when you've finally managed to scrape up funds for a used iPhone 2G.
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:24am On Jun 11, 2010
^^@ tex wetin dat one wan come mean naw? be nice grin grin grin grin

afterall, u also refused my 5k offer for that ipod grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

some of us dont like spending money for bondage!!! wink wink
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by na2day2(m): 6:12am On Jun 11, 2010
oloritinu:

i will just pretend i didn't just read this
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by moonraker(m): 7:30am On Jun 11, 2010
Apple shd do quick and release this device, just preordered my today, wink
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by mishooo(m): 9:22am On Jun 23, 2010
If you need your i Phone to be unlocked, call 08032979155
Re: Iphone 4 Finally Out by Azanor(m): 1:13pm On Jun 23, 2010
At the end of the day, it all boils down to the kind of person who will use the phone. An everyday user with enough cash will be satisfied with the iphone because of the sexy design, ease of use and access to a great number of apps. While such a user may consider an android device, he may shun it because of the complexity or lack of public acceptance. IT nerds and tech heads on the other hand will most likely be biased according to factor like their level of technical know how and also the first smartphone such pple buy is usually the brand that they stick with for the long run. Some nerds prefer symbian because of easy multi tasking without hacking and familiarity, they dont care about apple's easy to use idevices and android's os freedom. Some prefer android because of the openess and wide level of customization, symbian is too out dated for them and idevices are to restricting. And some like the iDevices for their large app catalog and focus on one device, for them android is too fragmented and symbian, a relic of the past. For the fanboys of other minor OS platforms (samsung, sony ericsson and lg), they dont care about pros and cons, their love is blind and unconditional.
As for me, i tend to drift between android and symbian but i am waiting for windows phone 7 to debut and by the end of the year, there will only be one platform at the top of the heap.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Instagram Rolls Out ‘Quiet Mode’ For When Users Want To Focus / Set Full Size Image On Whatsapp As Profile Picture. / A Non-technical Review Of Itel 1551 Metal Smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.