Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

The Miserable Spinster - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Miserable Spinster (19593 Views)

The Miserable Voice Of An Almajiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 6:35pm On Jun 29, 2018
Hello, readers. I want to share the first of the series of this story with you. Happy reading.

The Miserable Spinsters (c) copyright, 2018.

Amanda's phone rang again. She checked the caller. Dave was on the line. She wondered why he was calling. Some minutes ago when he called, he had told her that he was not too sure he would continue with the relationship. He had said he was just not too sure and would opt out. Just like that!
Amanda had been amazed. She could not understand him. When they had met the previous day, he had not given her any inkling about ending the relationship. One could then imagine her shock. He had not said much, and neither had he allowed her to say much, when he cut the line. Amanda was too shocked to say much, anyway. Why was he not sure about the relationship again? Amanda was in a quandary. For God'd sake, the relationship was less than five months old! What could be the problem?
Now, he was calling again.
'Hello?' she managed to say.
'Hello, Joy. Are you at home?'
Amanda's heart skipped a beat. Who was he calling Joy?
'Who ... who is joy?' Amanda stuttered into the mouthpiece.
'Is that not Joy?' Dave asked amxiously. There was a pause. 'Sorry, wrong number.' He disconnected the line before Amanda could say anything further.
The whole episode made Amanda to become more dispirited. That was it. Dave already had a new love in his life. Joy was her name. Joy was the one who had made him to ditch her - Amanda!
The matter was a thing of concern. Amanda was beginning to think that the fact that men did not stay long with her was not ordinary. In the last three relationships she had, the longest was six momths. Another fact was that it would take a long time before another man would look her way after a man had ditched her!
In terms of beauty, Amanda was a paragon. She not only had a beautiful face and body, she also dressed in a 'chic' way. Why then was it taking men long time to woo her? Why was it that when they eventually did, the relationship would not last?
At thirty years of age, she was eligible to marry. She knew the kind of society she lived and how people perceived women that were still single at advanced age. She would not want to fall under the 'miserable spinster' category.
She would just have to do something about the problem.
Amanda was the first born in her family. At thirty, she had a good job in a multinational telecommunications company. Everything seemed to be in order, except for relationship.
She decided to call her good friend, Rita, to intimate of what Dave had done. Rita was happy to receive Amanda's call, but she was quick to note that her frined sounded depressed.
'Hey, any problem? You sound gloomy,' Rita pointed out.
Amanda told her everything. She also expressed apprehension over not having a sustained relationship.
'Rita, don't you think something is wrong somewhere? Don't you think there is more to this thanmeets the eyes?'
Rita paused for some time. 'You may have a point there, Amanda. I can suggest something, but I don't know how you will take it.'
'What suggestion is that?' There was eagerness in Amanda's voice.
There was a slight pause again. 'There is a man I know, a prophet. He lives at Ikorodu. The man can handle a case like this.'
'Really? Are you sure?'
Rita was certain. 'He is very good. He can handle it.'
'Very good. Do you know the place? Can you take me there?'
'Sure, I know the place. We can go this weekend, this Saturday.'
'God bless you, Rita. This Saturday will it be, then.'
When Amanda disconnected the line, she believed, somehow that her problem would soon be a thing of the past. (to be continued)

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Nobody: 8:31am On Jun 30, 2018
smileyI hope you are not trying to mock our unmarried sisters,

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 9:35am On Jun 30, 2018
raphealshephard:
smileyI hope you are not trying to mock our unmarried sisters,

No, I will not mock the ladies. Rather I see them as victims of stereotyped society.

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Zamar: 9:46am On Jun 30, 2018
ToyinOlorunsola:

No, I will not mock the ladies. Rather I see them as victims of stereotyped society.

God bless our ladies.

3 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by OlufemiWhit(m): 2:22pm On Jun 30, 2018
This should be interesting

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by mirob(f): 2:35pm On Jun 30, 2018
This looks interesting, I hope you will not leave it half way? Pls try and completed. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 2:40pm On Jun 30, 2018
mirob:
This looks interesting, I hope you will not leave it half way? Pls try and completed. Thanks

I promise to complete it. Thanks.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by Zamar: 4:25pm On Jul 01, 2018
It's getting more interesting. Carry on.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 8:56pm On Jul 01, 2018
Amanda was the first born in her family. At thirty, she had a good job in a multinational telecommunications company. Everything seemed to be in order, except for relationship.
She decided to call her good friend, Rita, to intimate her of what Dave had done. Rita was happy to receive Amanda's call, but she was quick to note that her friend sounded depressed.
'Hey, any problem? You sound gloomy,' Rita pointed out.
Amanda told her everything. She also expressed apprehension over not having a sustained relationship.
'Rita, don't you think something is wrong somewhere? Don't you think there is more to this than meets the eyes?'
Rita paused for some time. 'You may have a point there, Amanda. I can suggest something, but I don't know how you will take it.'
'What suggestion is that?' There was eagerness in Amanda's voice.
There was a slight pause again. 'There is a man I know, a prophet. He lives at Ikorodu. The man can handle a case like this.'
With the assurance from Rita, Amanda decided to give consulting 'the prophet' a trial. That Saturday, around five p.m., they left for Ikorodu. The place was towards Ibeshe via Ikorodu, a suburb of Lagos.
'Welcome my daughter,' the prophet said with a grin. 'What can I do for you?' before Amanda could reply, the man hushed her.
'I know why you're here. You're here because men are treating you badly.'
Amanda was surprised the man could say that. How did he know? She turned to look at Rita inquisitively but the latter shook her head in I-don't-know manner. The prophet laughed.
'No human being told me anything,' he said emphatically. 'It is the Spirit of Jah that reveals. Don't worry. Your problem has a solution.'
Amanda breathed in sigh of relief and became very attentive.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 11:08am On Jul 07, 2018
Amanda sighed. The prophet smiled briefly and continued: 'Let me ask, do you really have a man in mind that you will like to become permanently yours?'
Again, Amanda looked at her friend, Rita, then her mind raced over the men she had intimately related with in the last couple of years. If she should pick a husband among them, who would she pick? In a jiffy, her mind focused on Dave. He was tall and handsome. He was also doing well in his medical practition. She would pick Dave, of course.
'Yes, the man I'm currently dating - well, until yesterday. That's the one I will like to have as a permanent partner. That's Dave.'
The prophet nodded knowingly as if she had just said what he expected. 'Very well. Dave, you want, Dave you will get. What I want to give you will cost thirty thousand naira only.'
Amanda nodded eargerly. 'That will be no problem, prophet.'
The prophet smiled again. 'Alright, excuse me.' He rose from his seat and went inside an inner room. Amanda and Rita conversed in low tones. The prophet soon returned.
He sat down and stared at Amanda. In his right hand was a small plastic bottle. 'Here,' he handed the bottle to Amanda. She took it gingerly.
'When it is exactly midnight, you are to open the bottle and take it close to your mouth. You will call his name three times and you will state your desire. Then you will use your index finger to annoint your forehead with the oil. You will do that consecutively for three nights. Midnight of three nights. That is all. The man will be all yours.'
Amanda nodded in excitement. 'Is that all, prophet?'
The man nodded too. 'That will be all for now. Follow the instructions. Do as you were told, and you will be amazed at the turn of events.'
Amanda smiled. 'Thank you, prophet. Thank you so much.' She paid the money and, with Rita, gladly left the prophet''s place.

5 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 07, 2018
Not surprised about the prophet's role. All the same, there are real prophets. God will help us.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by Zamar: 4:28pm On Jul 07, 2018
The prophet is a correct one.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by Joislim(f): 5:32pm On Jul 07, 2018
I'm loving this,
Re: The Miserable Spinster by FairCritic(m): 8:56am On Jul 08, 2018
Wait a minute. This story sounds familiar. Is it true life story or fiction?
Re: The Miserable Spinster by Zamar: 1:30pm On Jul 09, 2018
FairCritic:
Wait a minute. This story sounds familiar. Is it true life story or fiction?

A good story, whether fiction or non fiction must have elements of realities.

2 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 12:27pm On Jul 11, 2018
Later that night, Amand used the mantra the way she was directed to use it. She still had to do so two more nights. She was hopeful things would work as planned.
True to the words of the prophet, after using the oil and saying what she was supposed to say the third time, things changed fast. That morning, as early as five o'clock, her cell phone rang. It was Dave on the line.
'Hello?' Sleep was still in her eyes. She yawned and stretched her body.
'Good morning, Amanda.' His voice was urgent. 'We have to see. I mean I need to see you. When and where can we meet?'
Amanda smiled to herself. 'What do you mean? See you for what?'
'I want to plead with you. I'm sorry for all that have happened between. I don't know what came over me. Please, forgive.'
Wow! She was impressed by the efficacy of the mantra. The prophet must be very good.
'Amanda, please forgive me,' Dave was saying. I promise to make it up.'
She still appeared to hesitate. She must not give in so cheaply. She allowed him to beg her a liitle more before she agrred.
'Alright. I will take you back, but on one condition.'
'Give me any condition, my love. Any condition, as long as you have me back.'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Miserable Spinster by FairCritic(m): 10:24am On Jul 13, 2018
If it is true that a prophet's work can be this powerful, let me know the prophet.

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 8:54am On Jul 14, 2018
A wave of satisfaction swept over Amanda after she had disconnected the line. Yes, that was it! Dave would be back in her life now. Oh, what a friend she had in Rita. May God eternally bless her. And the prophet too. What a powerful man he was. Now that Amanda had discovered a man as powerful as this, she would forever use his services.

It was few minutes to eight o'clock. Dave was preparing to go to the hospital where he worked that morning. He was on morning shift. As a young medical doctor, he had a lot of good things going on for him. He had a good pay and good looks. It was therefore not a surprise that ladies practically threw themslves at him. Three weeks ago, when he first met Joy, he found her not only attractive but interesting. Amanda too was interesting, but she was in no way close to having the magnetic pull Joy had on him.
That, in his reckoning, was why he dumped Amanda for Joy. He was eating his cake and having it with the two ladies unti he finally decided that he would give Amanda the red card.
He had been having a sizzling time with Joy and had thought there could be no other person until last night.
Dave had woken up in the middle of the night and had gone over his relatonship with Joy. He had felt bad that he dumped Amanda for Joy. He had become so remorseful he decoded he must have Amanda back in his life. Surprisingly, he had disgust for Joy from that moment.
His mind was on Amanda till day-break when he decided to call her and apologize for his action. Thank God she had not made fuss about the matter.
He was through with his dressing. He applied his perfume and moved to take his folder and stethoscope on the center table in the sitting-room. Just then his phone rang.
He checked the caller. Joy was on the line. Dave hissed. Why was she calling him so early in the morning? What could she want? He didn't feel like picking the call, so he ignored it.
The phone kept ringing. The more it did that, the more Dave thought about Amanda. He must have been a great fool to leave Amanda for Joy. Amanda must be compensated for his foolish action. He decided he would buy some special gifts for her that day to show how desirous he was about having her back in his life.

4 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Ann2012(f): 9:21am On Jul 14, 2018
Interesting

Keep the updates coming
Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 10:38am On Jul 14, 2018
Ann2012:
Interesting
Keep the updates coming
Thank you. I promise regular updates.

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 8:23am On Jul 18, 2018
Dave continued to ignore the ringing, but pocketed the phone. He left the flat for his car downstairs.

At her place of work, Amanda was in a happy mood. Dave's call early that morning had done a lot to spice up her mood. How happy she was that Dave would be coming to her life. Aminat, her colleague in the Customer Care section of the multinational telecommunication company where she worked was quick to note her liveliness.
'Hey Amanda, what's up? You look very excited today,' Aminat pointed out.
Amanda smiled. 'Well, it's good to be happy, isn't it?'
About ten a.m., Dave sent her a text message. In it, he apologized for his misdeeds and promised not to hurt her again. Amanda smiled to herself. The power of the prophet was indeed amazing. By five o'clock, the closing time, she was surprised to see Dave breeze into the large reception hall. He had come to take her home, he said.
He drove to a popular eatery and treated her to a sumptuous meal. There was excitement all over his face as he seemed to be genuinely glad to be with her. After the meal, Dave looked earnestly into her eyes.
'There is something very important that I must do,' he said. Amanda looked at him curiously. 'What could that be?'
He smiled expansively, dipped his hands into his pocket and brought out a small package. He opened the package and brought out an eighteen carat gold ring.
He went on his kness. 'Amanda, will you marry me?'

3 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Ann2012(f): 9:43am On Jul 18, 2018
I hope the happiness lasts ooo

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 5:13pm On Jul 20, 2018
Amanda was pleasantly surprised by Dave's action. She looked intently at him and she could see the zeal in his eyes. It also looked like his eyes were pleading with her not to disappoint him. Disappoint him? Never! How would she ever disappoint him when this was what she had been craving to experience?
'Wil you, please, marry me?' he asked again.
It was like a scene of a movie she had watched - an American movie. It was unAfrican for a man to propose this way, but things were changing fast. The influence of the West had alwayys been like a rampaging fire.
'Yes,' she said with mist in her eyes. 'The answer is yes.'
He stood up with his hands throwm wide open, ready for a hug. She stood up too and there was a bear hug.
After dinner, he took her to his his house. They did not waste time as they made the bedroom their ultimate destination. Almost in a frenzy, he undressed her and undressed himself. They went on a wild trip that sapped their pent-up passion and energy. Thereafter, they lay in each other's arms.
'We must not waste further time,' Dave said. 'It's high time we started planning our wedding. Don't you think so?'
Amanda nodded. 'Of course no need to waste time.'
He drew his mouth to hers and planted a kiss. 'Thank God I have you back in my life.'
Amanda nodded without a word. Just then, the bell to his apartment rang. He wanted to ignore it, but it kept ringing persistently.
'Shouldn't you go and see who's at the door?' Amanda suggested.
He sighed, put on his boxer and threw his t-shirt on. When he opened the entrance door to the sitting-room, Dave was surprised to see Joy standing there.
'Dave, what is all this?' Joy hollered. 'Why is it that since morning, I was calling your line and you did not pick it?'
'Hey, calmn down,' he chided her. 'You're not going to announce your agitation to the whole world, are you?'
'Let the whole world hear, I don't care!' She stormed inside the sitting-room. 'I demand an explanation,' she said, brimming with anger. 'And it must be a very good one.'
Just then, the curtain at the door leading the interior passageway was ruffled and Amanda emerged from the bedroom.

2 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 6:46pm On Jul 24, 2018
'And what's all this noise about, Dave darling?' Amanda asked.
Joy glared at her. She pointed at Amanda menacingly. 'So, it's because of this... this thing that you refused to pick my call.'
'Mind what you say, lady,' Dave said belligerently.
'And if I don't, what will you do?' Joy did not disguise her contempt and petulance. 'What will you do?'
Amanda quickly intervened. 'There is no need for saucy words.' She turned to squarely look at Joy. Your have used up all the time that you should use with him. Please kindly go and don't come back.'
Joy flared up. 'And who the hell are you to tell me that? Anyway, I know this is all a joke.' She faced Dave. 'Tell me, this is all a joke, right? You are not dumping me for this, this one, are you?'
Dave smiled and moved to where Amanda was standing. 'No one is joking here. Everything is for real.' He wrapped his left hand round Amanda's shoulders. 'Just like my darling has said. Your time with me has elapsed. Please, don't you ever come to this house again.

2 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 24, 2018
Interesting.
Consequences ooo Amanda

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Ann2012(f): 8:30pm On Jul 24, 2018
Amanda.....
I just pray everything won't come crashing one day

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 3:04pm On Jul 28, 2018
'Dave, you're not serious, are you? Joy asked, still looking confused.
'Of course, I - we - are serious. For real, we'll soon be getting married.'
Joy raved, but it was obvious she was at the losing end. The anger she felt was still on her face when she stormed out of the place, promising that they had not seen the last of her .

Rita poured the champagne to the brim of the glasses. Her friend, Amanda was in the former's apartment, and it was apparent they were in a celebration mood.
'Cheers!' Amanda said.
'Cheers!'
They clinked the glasses.
'I must really thank you,' Amanda was saying. 'You're really instrumental to my achieving my goal.'
'Oh, don't mention, my friend. What are friends for?'
'You are indeed a friend in need who is a friend indeed.'
They sipped their drinks. 'So, what's the next plan?' Rita asked.
'The next plan is that we will fix a date for the introduction, the engagement and the proper wedding. No time to waste again.'
'Oh, I'm so happy for you, Amanda. Congratulations in advance.'
'Thank you. And need I remind you that you'll be my maid of honour?'
Rita laughed delightedly.
'With all pleasure, my friend, my friend. With all pleasure.'

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 12:43pm On Aug 02, 2018
Rita said the mood indeed called for celebration, and Amanda could not agree less.

A couple of weeks after Amanda and Dave started making wedding preparations, Amanda continued to be in a very happy mood. She had started doing some shopping for what she would need for her wedding.
She decided that the ceremony would be grand. All her friends, including those outside Lagos, were intimated and invited. Dave too was leaving no stone unturned in his preparation. All his friends and colleagues were happy for him and eagerly awaited the d-day.
For the traditional wedding, they travelled down to Warri. Dave fulfilled all the tradional rites that he should fulfil. They were soon back in Lagos.
It was now a couple of weeks to the wedding. Dave would go for a black suit, a white shirt and a red bow tie, while Amanda opted for a hand-made white wedding card. Amanda was indeed happy. Soon, she decided, she would forever say goodbye to being a spinster and join the league of happily married women. That was her thought.

2 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by mirob(f): 3:00pm On Aug 02, 2018
This your story is very much interesting but this your short short update no be an at all. More grace to write long updates.�

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Ann2012(f): 3:44pm On Aug 02, 2018
Thanks for d update

Amanda's wedding loading

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Hervoice: 4:14pm On Aug 02, 2018
Very nice update, please keep it up

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 2:39pm On Aug 04, 2018
At the parish where Amanda worshipped, it was customary for the church to direct that intending couples should do HIV test, genotype test and pregnancy test before solemnization of any union, just weeks before the wedding ceremony.
Amanda took Dave to her parish pastor and they were instructed to go for the tests. Being a medical doctor, Dave believed it was no big deal. At first, Amanda was scared of the tests, especially the HIV test. With bated breath, she read the reports. It was such a big relief that she was negative on HIV and pregnancy tests. She haboured no fear about her genetype as previous test had shown that she was AA.
So, there was no problem about the results of her tests, but what about Dave's own?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" / Broken Heart*** / GOOD GUY AT 23

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.