Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

The Miserable Spinster - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Miserable Spinster (19609 Views)

The Miserable Voice Of An Almajiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 9:51pm On Sep 12, 2018
Nurse Dorcas was adjusting the life support on the patient in the special hospital room when she noticed that the man appeared to move his right hand placed by his side on the bed. She stopped short to observe the patient.

For the past five days when the patient was brought to the intensive care unit of the hospital, the man had been in a coma. He was brought in by a good Samaritan who said the bike he had been riding was involved in a horrible automobile accident. A truck had hit the motor cycle from behind, pushing the bike to run into a roadside ditch. The okada man had died on the spot while his passenger, an obviously well-dressed man, went into coma and was brought to the hospital.

As Dorcas watched the patient, she was certain he was moving his hand. Dorcas quickly left the room to go and inform the doctor on duty. By the time the doctor and the nurse returned, the patient had fully opened his eyes.

'Where am I?' the distraught man asked even as he tried to sit up on the bed. The doctor and nurse prevailed upon the patient not to do so,

'Where ... where am I?' the patient asked again.

'Stay calm,' the doctor told him. ' You had an accident and you were brought here. You've been in a coma for the past five days now, and you're just recovering. Thank God, you came out alive.'

'An accident?' the patient looked utterly confused. 'But I can't remember ever having an accident.'.

'Don't worry, just relax. Things would soon be alright.'

Dave did not know if he indeed should be rest assure by those words or not.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 6:45pm On Sep 14, 2018
Amanda was on her way home when a call came in. It was Alfred, Dave's friend, that was on the line.

'I have good news for you,' Alfred started. 'We have found Dave. He was involed in a serious accident on that Saturday. He had been in a coma since then and he just came out of it.'

'Oh my God!' Amanda could not help exclaiming. 'How is he now? Where is he?'

'He is still recovering. He has been on admission at St. Lucia hospital. But there's another problem.'

Amanda became short of breath. 'What problem?'

There was an audible sigh across the line. 'Doctor said he is suffering from partial amnesia. It's the type that one doesn't rember what happens to one between a particular period. Dave, for now can only remember events from three years ago. He can't remember what happened to him in the last three years, or so.'

'Oh God!' Amanda felt dizzy. That meant Dave would not recognize her for now. 'Oh, God,' she repeated sadly. Why all these tragedies? Why was she having the worst of time?

She went to the hospital to see him, and trully he asked who she was. The doctor told them no one knew how long it would take him to recover the memory. They could only wait and hope for the best.

Amanda was in a great distress and dilemma. Should she wait for Dave to fully recover, or should she go ahead and start another relationship? Already, Beke was asking her for a relationship. Would she give in to Beke and move on with life, or wait for Dave and remain a miserable spinster for only God knows when?

She shook her head. She was in emotional turmoil.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by Abelranking: 6:56pm On Sep 14, 2018
At long last, nice update op
Re: The Miserable Spinster by firdouz: 11:42am On Sep 21, 2018
which year are you going to update this story? embarassed embarassed
Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 1:05pm On Sep 21, 2018
firdouz:
which year are you going to update this story? embarassed embarassed

The first part of the story has ended.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by Oladapom4(m): 7:25am On Sep 26, 2018
Nice update

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by donsimoniiblog: 7:34am On Sep 26, 2018
The title tho.. Lool

Story lovers visit www.donsimonii.com now for your interesting stories
Re: The Miserable Spinster by dadalicious: 7:43am On Sep 26, 2018
Ann2012:
Amanda.....
I just pray everything won't come crashing one day
Definitely it will crash,
Joy seems like one who patronizes "prophets" regularly, so shes got to do something

2 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by lawlhee: 7:51am On Sep 26, 2018
ToyinOlorunsola:

No, I will not mock the ladies. Rather I see them as victims of stereotyped society.

You have sense. I will be following.

2 Likes

Re: The Miserable Spinster by husbandsnatcha(f): 8:07am On Sep 26, 2018
story is ok nice 1 toyin

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Westaslave2(f): 8:14am On Sep 26, 2018
lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Westaslave2(f): 8:14am On Sep 26, 2018
Yes , U can mock us but we ar enjoying ourselves

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Two5tech: 8:58am On Sep 26, 2018
Wow...nice

You can also read amazing stories on booktree.ng

I love the website

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by WiseStarr(m): 9:20am On Sep 26, 2018
As I was reading this story,I was praying deep down my heart that the writer should finish the story but i guess she won't,why do you Nairaland writers always do this,huh?

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Basseybruce: 9:20am On Sep 26, 2018
Nice one there. U really tried concerning the updates, quite encouraging, always coming @ the right time. Pls, update the second/minor part. Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by rosalieene(f): 10:01am On Sep 26, 2018
really interesting

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 10:42am On Sep 26, 2018
husbandsnatcha:
story is ok nice 1 toyin
Thank you.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 10:44am On Sep 26, 2018
Basseybruce:
Nice one there. U really tried concerning the updates, quite encouraging, always coming @ the right time. Pls, update the second/minor part. Thumbs up.

Thanks for the comments and interest.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by dadalicious: 10:46am On Sep 26, 2018
ToyinOlorunsola:

Thanks for the comments and interest.
I thought you were coming to kontinu
Kontinu na

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 11:41am On Sep 26, 2018
Later that evening, Beke called Amanda again. He was excited but he soon noticed that she sounded somehow downcast.

'Hey, what's the problem?' he asked, showing concern.

'You won't understand,' she said cooly. 'I'm in emotional distress.'

'Emotional distress? That's serious. Why don't you and I meet? Maybe in an eatery, then we talk it over dinner. What do you think?'

Amanda was silent. Was this guy serious? Could she bank on him? Maybe she should see him and pour her heart out. There would be a relief in that, wouldn't it?

'It's already late for today,' she said. 'Maybe another time.'

Beke was a man not to let an opportunity go by. 'Great! Yes, another time. Let's fix tomorrow. I'll be at your place of work towards closing time. Then, we'll go to an nice eatery. Is that okay?'

Amanda thought briefly. What was there to lose? She shrugged. 'Okay.'

'Good!' he exclaimed. He said it as if it was the best news he had heard in years.

Somehow, Amanda was amused by his enthusiasm. Then she remembered that unlike her past relationships, a man was taking serious interest in her not long after the last disappointment. Definately, this situation was different.

True to his words, the following day, Beke came to her place of work some minutes before closing. He took her to a lush restaurant where he ordered for fried rice and chicken. They sat in one corner of the large room and ate. Before then, Amanda had been thinking on the extent of the truth she would reveal about herself. She would, of course, tell him about the hurt of her prospective groom not turning up for the wedding; and how that 'groom' was now suffering from amnesia as a result of the accident he had on the very day of wedding.

Beke listened intently to Amanda's story. He could feel sorry for her. What a bad fortune for a lady to experience such things! He genuinely felt sorry for her and felt he might be able to fill the void in her heart.

He told her his own love life too. Of course, he skipped the sordid part. He only emphasized that he too had suffered misfortune in previous relationships and would like to be a major player in her life, henceforth.

'I'm confused,' Amanda confessed. 'What if by next week, the amnesia goes, he comes back to all his senses, and wants us to go ahead with the wedding? Will it not be said that I'm a bad lady who cannot wait for monhts to give her man a chance of recovery?'

Beke nodded. What Amanda said made sense. 'Let's put it this way. Let me only stand by and play interim role. If he recovers on time, then I will step aside. If he doesn't, then I will take up the major role. What d'you say to that?'

Amanda appeared to think over it briefly. She sighed and finally nodded. 'Alright, Beke. But you know it's all conditional.'

Beke was glad about her response. 'That's my baby,' he gushed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Miserable Spinster by izaray(f): 12:13pm On Sep 26, 2018
What a nice story, but Op you are too slow with ur updates

Last update was Sept 14 and today is Sept 16 shocked shocked Habah you no try oh embarassed

All the same more ink to ur pen! Kudos

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 6:43pm On Sep 26, 2018
'I don't want to sound harsh, but I think you may have to forget that guy,' Beke said.

Amanda tore at the chicken lap in her hand and munched. 'Why did you say that?' she asked.

'That his condition is very serious,' he explained. Some people never get out of it. Some do, but takes a long while. You don't have to deprieve yourself of joy and fulfilment by waiting endlessly for him. You only live once - enjoy it.'

Amanda decided to play along, but she reiterated to Beke that the relationship was conditional

That was how Beke and Amanda started the relationship. They soon hit it off in a big was.

Beke would buy lovely items for her. Wears and accessories were not scarce among those things he bought. Of course, she believed that he must be doing well in his busiess for him to afford all these.

Two months into the relatioship, Amanda had started to forget about Dave. Beke was now the man reigning.

Six months adter, Dave became an extinct word in her diary.

'Say, why don't you move in with me?' Beke asked him one cool evening. 'I've just moved to a new two-bedroom apartment. Let's share the place together.'

Amanda first demurred, but finally agreed to move in with him.
'It's a nice place,' she observed when she first stepped inside the apartment.

So, she moved in. Her friend, Joy was happy for her. Everything about Beke appeared cool until one night when Amanda had picked his phone to check some messages.

'You shouldn' have done that!' Beke bawled at her. 'I don't like ladies snooping on me.'

'Snooping? No one is snooping on you, my dear,' Amanda explained.
She was also quick to discover that he was secretave. He kept his laptop to himself and passworded his phones, i-pads and laptops. There were also many times he would go out to receive his call.

Amanda bore it all, thinking that when they became married, he would change.

It was just a wishful thinking as Beke never changed but became worse. One night, Beke came home, reeking of the smell of alcohol.

'My God, you're drunk,' Amanda said.

'Says who?' Beke said with a slur. 'So, because I went with some friends, that means I'm drunk. Watch your language o, woman.'

'But, you're drunk, can't you see?'

His next reaction shocked her. He lifted his hand and gave a dirt slap.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 6:45pm On Sep 26, 2018
'I don't want to sound harsh, but I think you may have to forget that guy,' Beke said.

Amanda tore at the chicken lap in her hand and munched. 'Why did you say that?' she asked.

'That his condition is very serious,' he explained. 'Some people never get out of it. Some do, but it takes a long while. You don't have to deprieve yourself of joy and fulfilment by waiting endlessly for him. You only live once - enjoy it.'

Amanda decided to play along, but she reiterated to Beke that the relationship was conditional

That was how Beke and Amanda started the relationship. They soon hit it off in a big way.

Beke would buy lovely items for her. Wears and accessories were not scarce among those things he bought. Of course, she believed that he must be doing well in his busiess for him to afford all these.

Two months into the relationship, Amanda had started to forget about Dave. Beke was now the man reigning in her life.

Six months after, Dave became an extinct word in her diary.

'Say, why don't you move in with me?' Beke asked him one cool evening. 'I've just moved to a new two-bedroom apartment. Let's share the place together.'

Amanda first demurred, but finally agreed to move in with him.
'It's a nice place,' she observed when she first stepped inside the apartment.

So, she moved in. Her friend, Joy was happy for her. Everything about Beke appeared cool until one night when Amanda had picked his phone to check some messages.

'You shouldn' have done that!' Beke bawled at her. 'I don't like ladies snooping on me.'

'Snooping? No one is snooping on you, my dear,' Amanda explained.
She was also quick to discover that he was secretave. He kept his laptop to himself and passworded his phones, i-pads and laptops. There were also many times he would go out to receive his call.

Amanda bore it all, thinking that when they became married, he would change.

It was just a wishful thinking as Beke never changed but became worse. One night, Beke came home, reeking of the smell of alcohol.

'My God, you're drunk,' Amanda said.

'Says who?' Beke said with a slur. 'So, because I went with some friends, that means I'm drunk. Watch your language o, woman.'

'But, you're drunk, can't you see?'

His next reaction shocked her. He lifted his hand and gave her a dirt slap.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by skubido(m): 7:30pm On Sep 26, 2018
Good for her, she just started... Patience pays.

OP tanks a lot for the update

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by dadalicious: 8:03pm On Sep 26, 2018
Yanwa Don gas

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by pacifust058(m): 11:27pm On Sep 26, 2018
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by izaray(f): 2:24pm On Sep 27, 2018
Thanks op

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 11:13pm On Sep 27, 2018
What? You hit me! How dare you!' Amanda said indignantly. She tugged at the shirt he was wearing and pulled. 'How dare you,' she bawled.

That action infuriated him the more. He threw more punches at her, some landing on her face. Her grip on his shirt slackened. She realized she was no match for him.

To stop more pummelling, she released her hold on him completely and started crying, sitting helplessly on the sofa.

'You b**ch should mind how you talk to me!' he raved, and left for the bedroom. Amanda was so dispirited. No man had beaten her like this before, all before she was trying to show concern for the one she loved.

How could he be so aggressive? Even in his state of semi drunkeness, couldn't he have realised that you do not treat the person you claim to love this way?

Why what she so unfortunate with the men she loved? Why was this kind of thing her fate?

She refused to join him in the bedroom that night. Rather, she slept in the sittingroom alone. The sofa could not offer the kind of comfort she desired, but that was okay.

There was no way she would share bed with that crazy woman beater.

She tried to look her best the following morning as she prepared for work. She still remembered the incident of the previous night.

If he would beat her like this when they had not yet married, what would he do when they eventuall marry? Gosh!

Amanda left early for work. It was just five fifteen, but she felt the house was unfair to her, as if their conspiracy of silence lend credence to her thinking that they all ganged up to submit her to this humilation.

Beke was still sleeping when Amanda left for work. She let be. He always slept till late morning, but sometimes he would work till very late in the middle of the night. So much for his work.

At work, Amanda made some far-reaching decision. She had read a lot about domextic abuse. She had even read about how some spouses ended up killing their partners.

No. God forbid that she fuffered to that extent. She decided she would leave Beke's house. The problem was where she would go.

As at the time she left her own apartment, the rent was due. She had no doubt that the place would be long occupied by another tenant by mow.

What about Rita's place? That should be okay, shouldn it? She decided that during lunch break, she would tell Rita her disaffection, and the need to move out of Beke's house.

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Ann2012(f): 11:25pm On Sep 27, 2018
Hehehe, serves her right

Thanks OP

1 Like

Re: The Miserable Spinster by Imoleayoseyi: 6:08am On Sep 28, 2018
ToyinOlorunsola:
What? You hit me! How dare you!' Amanda said indignantly. She tugged at the shirt he was wearing and pulled. 'How dare you,' she bawled.

That action infuriated him the more. He threw more punches at her, some landing on her face. Her grip on his shirt slackened. She realized she was no match for him.

To stop more pummelling, she released her hold on him completely and started crying, sitting helplessly on the sofa.

'You b**ch should mind how you talk to me!' he raved, and left for the bedroom. Amanda was so dispirited. No man had beaten her like this before, all before she was trying to show concern for the one she loved.

How could he be so aggressive? Even in his state of semi drunkeness, couldn't he have realised that you do not treat the person you claim to love this way?

Why what she so unfortunate with the men she loved? Why was this kind of thing her fate?

She refused to join him in the bedroom that night. Rather, she slept in the sittingroom alone. The sofa could not offer the kind of comfort she desired, but that was okay.

There was no way she would share bed with that crazy woman beater.

She tried to look her best the following morning as she prepared for work. She still remembered the incident of the previous night.

If he would beat her like this when they had not yet married, what would he do when they eventuall marry? Gosh!

Amanda left early for work. It was just five fifteen, but she felt the house was unfair to her, as if their conspiracy of silence lend credence to her thinking that they all ganged up to submit her to this humilation.

Beke was still sleeping when Amanda left for work. She let be. He always slept till late morning, but sometimes he would work till very late in the middle of the night. So much for his work.

At work, Amanda made some far-reaching decision. She had read a lot about domextic abuse. She had even read about how some spouses ended up killing their partners.

No. God forbid that she fuffered to that extent. She decided she would leave Beke's house. The problem was where she would go.

As at the time she left her own apartment, the rent was due. She had no doubt that the place would be long occupied by another tenant by mow.

What about Joy's place? That should be okay, shouldn it? She decided that during lunch break, she would tell Joy her disaffection, and the need to move out of Beke's house.

Please, I thought Joy is Dave’s ex-girlfriend, while Rita is Amanda’s friend. So why would she think of joy’s place instead of Rita’s place.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 7:37am On Sep 28, 2018
Imoleayoseyi:

Please, I thought Joy is Dave’s ex-girlfriend, while Rita is Amanda’s friend. So why would she think of joy’s place instead of Rita’s place.

Thanks for pointing out the mix-up. It has been corrected.
Re: The Miserable Spinster by skubido(m): 4:01pm On Sep 28, 2018
Ann2012:
Hehehe, serves her right

Naso

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) / Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" / How To Learn Jungle Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.