Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,509 members, 7,826,935 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' (58620 Views)

Eyewitness Reveals Cause Of Otedola Bridge Explosion: Foolishness Killed Them / Otedola Bridge Lagos Tanker Fire: Man Narrates How He Escaped / Otedola Bridge, Lagos Tanker Explosion: 'Pictures Cannot Explain What I Saw' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2018
wink2015:
I wish the injured victims quick recovery.

BUHARI IS SITTING ON THE PETROLEUM MINISTRY BUT DOING NOTHING WITH THAT OFFICE.

A bad character he inherited from Obasanjo that a President is equally qualified to head the ministry of Petroleum.

Give that office to another competent minister that is innovative and creative,but Buhari is refusing due to personal greed.

Cameroun and Canada are using train via railway line to convey petroleum products thereby decongesting the public highway of dangerous tankers.

But in Nigeria, our leaders are blind to new or old technological knowhow that is used in the industrialised world.

IT IS SIMPLY OUTDATED TO BE USING TANKER TO BE CONVEYING PETROLEUM PRODUCTS MORESO IN PUBLIC HIGHWAY.

The development of an efficient railway line system that will be used to convey petroleum products and agricultural goods is what the Nigerian government should put in place to avert this needless tragedy.

Your story is incomplete and is an affront to your fellow citizens.

Show pictures of trains making delivery at a gas station or you folks need to stop your lies.
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jun 30, 2018
umama23:

which part of Nigeria do you live or do you live in every part of the country?

Yaawwnnnn.....

I’ve probably seen more of Nigeria before you were born than you’ll ever see in your lifetime.
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Sirfemi77(m): 3:23pm On Jun 30, 2018
SolutionMee:
Exaggeration
can you imagine, how can you say it's "exaggeration" .
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by jaxxy(m): 3:24pm On Jun 30, 2018
Thats part of the problem with Nigerians we argue 2 much on the irrelevant rather than taking collective action wasting precious time even here on NL... A tanker spilled its contents and ure rite next to it arguing if its petrol or diesel

Thats partly the reason I don't engage in all these major idle online arguments dat are leading no where.

2 Likes

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by ireke(m): 3:24pm On Jun 30, 2018
TrumpedL:

But a dashboard video in circulation showed that the tanker was stationary. Why this lie?

It wasn't stationary. It was rolling backwards but you're quite right that the dashboard video does not corroborate this account of the incident. Another thing is that if he heard the explosion that close, he wouldn't be battling with burns alone. Again, I wonder if he is the same person in the 2 pictures.

Leave them jare. Maybe he wants the free honey and fresh fruits that someone was offering to the victims of the mishap. grin

1 Like

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Kay17: 3:25pm On Jun 30, 2018
One wonders what happened to his passengers

1 Like

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by ireke(m): 3:26pm On Jun 30, 2018
jaxxy:
Thats part of the problem with Nigerians we agre 2 much rather than taking action even here on NL... A tanker spilled its contents and ure rite next to it arguing if its petrol or diesel.

I was also thinking about that. In my mind I was like "even if water tanker falls and I'm around the area, n.a. other people go come gist me later because I no go wait".

1 Like

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Temi4sam: 3:28pm On Jun 30, 2018
It is well..
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by ireke(m): 3:30pm On Jun 30, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Show pictures of trains making delivery at a gas station or you folks need to stop your lies.

Oga mi, I wan answer the guy before but as I see you, I just gentle.

That's one of our problems in Nigeria o. MISDIAGNOSIS. then we begin copy solutions without even understanding our problems and the peculiarity of our situation.

1 Like

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by ayotoyin(f): 3:31pm On Jun 30, 2018
You will never understand the scene if you were not there. Let's just pray that evil should not come near us.. It's better imagine watching it on internet. It takes the grace of God to escape such.

I am still battling with flashbacks, thanking God for the escape, praying quick recovery for the injured people and may the soul of the departed rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by jaxxy(m): 3:33pm On Jun 30, 2018
ireke:

I was also thinking about that. In my mind I was like "even if water tanker falls and I'm around the area, n.a. other people go come gist me later because I no go wait".

Exactly! U probably only have a split second to decide and act and they are busy arguing fuel or diesel. 1st thing is get completely out of there then argue later if u like.
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 30, 2018
ireke:

Oga mi, I wan answer the guy before but as I see you, I just gentle.

That's one of our problems in Nigeria o. MISDIAGNOSIS. then we begin copy solutions without even understanding our problems and the peculiarity of our situation.

My Chief, I just hate when they embellish stuff.
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Dicksonpal: 3:35pm On Jun 30, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Just imagine the stupidity.

They should be arguing that from across the road.
that was how, police chased some yahoo guys 2015 and I heard gun shot, I ran 440, people around were mocking me calling me coward, I told them I don't joke with stuffs like this......dead people don't count scores.

2 Likes

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jun 30, 2018
SolutionMee:
Exaggeration

Of the highest order.

Ewure Mecca tinzs...
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jun 30, 2018
Dicksonpal:
that was how, police chased some yahoo guys 2015 and I heard gun shot, I ran 440, people around were mocking me calling me coward, I told them I don't joke with stuffs like this......dead people don't count scores.

During Buharis first term, the coup had soldiers all over Ibadan.

There’s curfew and we looked up to see an army tank coming.

Boy even half drunk I ran the fastest I could.

This driver was simply trying to save his bus. Everyone should have shut off their engines and ran. Probably wouldn’t have been a fire.
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jun 30, 2018
ayotoyin:
You will never understand the scene if you were not there. Let's just pray that evil should not come near us.. It's better imagine watching it on internet. It takes the grace of God to escape such.

I am still battling with flashbacks, thanking God for the escape, praying quick recovery for the injured people and may the soul of the departed rest in peace.

All these pray pray stuff is the very reason why these things will keep happening.

Praying and God won’t fix a thing and didn’t save anyone. The survivors were simply lucky.

How many church vans have crashed?
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by MrGoogle88: 3:45pm On Jun 30, 2018
TrumpedL:

But a dashboard video in circulation showed that the tanker was stationary. Why this lie?

Probably not the same incident.
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by alsudaes1(m): 3:53pm On Jun 30, 2018
TrumpedL:

Try watching again, you will observe that the break of the tanker probably failed while ascending the slope of the road and no engine power to keep it in motion up the slope, hence the tanker sliding backwards, that's why those two guys were trying to insert wooden wedge behind the tyres albeit unsuccessfully, this must have eventually caused the tanker to fall and spill it's content being PMS

Watch again and observe the above

1 Like

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by dingbang(m): 4:07pm On Jun 30, 2018
ayotoyin:

how did it happen from your experience
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Themandator: 4:08pm On Jun 30, 2018
BloggersNG:
A 41-year-old commercial bus driver, who augments his daily income by operating as a vulcaniser by the side is also one of the victims at the Otedola Fire Accident.

The father of three and native of Osun State invests much of his energy and time into productive activities that would help put food on the table for his family.

On Thursday afternoon, while ferrying passengers in his 18-seater bus from Lagos to the Mowe/Ibafo area of neighbouring Ogun, a bigger worry was added to Olaitan’s growing list.

A speeding tanker laden with around 33, 000 litres of Premium Motor Spirit – one of the deadliest and easily combustible liquids in the world – that had lost control suddenly fell a few metres away from Otedola Bridge, a popular axis along the Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, spilling its content all over the place and bursting into flames shortly afterwards.

The 41-year-old whose commercial bus was directly behind the ill-fated tanker, the moment brought a glimpse of perhaps what the end of the world would look like.

“I saw darkness everywhere immediately the tanker exploded,” he said while speaking with Saturday Beat on his hospital bed where yards of bandages now strapped him like an armour.

“I thought I was going to die. It was as if the end had come. There was commotion everywhere, just like in a war. Nothing else came to my mind.

We all believed it was the end,” he added soberly as he narrated his ordeal to his teary-eyed wife – Faidat – and other family members, who had come to check on him on Friday morning.

While attributing his narrow escape to divine grace, the Ile-Ife indigene said that for a few minutes after the tanker fell, he and others in the vehicle were confused as to what to do.

He revealed that it was while it was being argued that the content of the truck was diesel or petrol that the entire place erupted in flames. According to him, after being briefly knocked out by the sound of the explosion, he managed to regain consciousness and enough strength to force his way out of the bus through the front passenger seat. But even after exiting the vehicle, his fears were far from over.

“I jumped into a gutter full of dirty water immediately I forced my way out of the bus,” he said, slowly adjusting his sitting position on the bed. “I had hoped to use the water to quench the fire on my body but unknown to me the water had already mixed with the petrol that had spilled from the tanker. That compounded my problem.

While I was struggling to quench the fire on my body, I did not know that my head was burning. I managed to run across the road and into an uncompleted building where people around helped me put out the fire. That was my saving grace, otherwise only God knows what would have happened to me,” he stated.

Gossip From Ebiwali--
http://www.ebiwalisgossip.com/2018/06/its-was-like-war-we-thought-world-has.html

The video online about the incident doesn't show the truck or driver as over speeding . The truck lost Air and could not longer climb into the bride. It sktatrted backward and ended up hitting the median ....

The one thing in know is that the driver of the truck is not too good with controlling a truck on reverse hence the incident ...a Good driver l
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by olaboy1: 4:15pm On Jun 30, 2018
Trailers have load capacity base on tonnage and the torque power of the engine, but Naija no get time to dey check all that. No sensible city plan with barricades for trucks on some roads and height/load limitations.

Look around your neighborhood and do a video of looming dangers and let’s share the videos on social media to bring the attention of the authority to them and make them understand any lives lost after the video will get a 100m Naira compensation to be paid to their next of kins.
Imagine this happening on 3rd mainland bridge by 5:30pm, by now we would still be in the ocean looking for survivals who jumped in out of fear and commotion.

Yes the government can be sued.

2 Likes

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Breadfruit: 4:22pm On Jun 30, 2018
Is diesel same smell and colour as petrol?
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by HomeOfMe(f): 4:24pm On Jun 30, 2018
BloggersNG:
A 41-year-old commercial bus driver, who augments his daily income by operating as a vulcaniser by the side is also one of the victims at the Otedola Fire Accident.

The father of three and native of Osun State invests much of his energy and time into productive activities that would help put food on the table for his family.

On Thursday afternoon, while ferrying passengers in his 18-seater bus from Lagos to the Mowe/Ibafo area of neighbouring Ogun, a bigger worry was added to Olaitan’s growing list.

A speeding tanker laden with around 33, 000 litres of Premium Motor Spirit – one of the deadliest and easily combustible liquids in the world – that had lost control suddenly fell a few metres away from Otedola Bridge, a popular axis along the Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, spilling its content all over the place and bursting into flames shortly afterwards.

The 41-year-old whose commercial bus was directly behind the ill-fated tanker, the moment brought a glimpse of perhaps what the end of the world would look like.

“I saw darkness everywhere immediately the tanker exploded,” he said while speaking with Saturday Beat on his hospital bed where yards of bandages now strapped him like an armour.

“I thought I was going to die. It was as if the end had come. There was commotion everywhere, just like in a war. Nothing else came to my mind.

We all believed it was the end,” he added soberly as he narrated his ordeal to his teary-eyed wife – Faidat – and other family members, who had come to check on him on Friday morning.

While attributing his narrow escape to divine grace, the Ile-Ife indigene said that for a few minutes after the tanker fell, he and others in the vehicle were confused as to what to do.

He revealed that it was while it was being argued that the content of the truck was diesel or petrol that the entire place erupted in flames. According to him, after being briefly knocked out by the sound of the explosion, he managed to regain consciousness and enough strength to force his way out of the bus through the front passenger seat. But even after exiting the vehicle, his fears were far from over.

“I jumped into a gutter full of dirty water immediately I forced my way out of the bus,” he said, slowly adjusting his sitting position on the bed. “I had hoped to use the water to quench the fire on my body but unknown to me the water had already mixed with the petrol that had spilled from the tanker. That compounded my problem.

While I was struggling to quench the fire on my body, I did not know that my head was burning. I managed to run across the road and into an uncompleted building where people around helped me put out the fire. That was my saving grace, otherwise only God knows what would have happened to me,” he stated.

Gossip From Ebiwali--
http://www.ebiwalisgossip.com/2018/06/its-was-like-war-we-thought-world-has.html

Get well soon.
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 30, 2018
Thank the Lord Jesus, God heard our prayers in church,for there to be more than many that would survive.... God is great... Thank you Lord Jesus. Christ embassy all the way...
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by AyeMoJuba: 4:37pm On Jun 30, 2018
TrumpedL:

Stationary bi ti bawo? If I hear!
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by samusonite: 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2018
Learn how to eliminate fibroid without surgery

http://fibroid247..com/2018/06/what-are-fibroids.html?m=1
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by GavelSlam: 4:57pm On Jun 30, 2018
wink2015:
I wish the injured victims quick recovery.

BUHARI IS SITTING ON THE PETROLEUM MINISTRY BUT DOING NOTHING WITH THAT OFFICE.

A bad character he inherited from Obasanjo that a President is equally qualified to head the ministry of Petroleum.

Give that office to another competent minister that is innovative and creative,but Buhari is refusing due to personal greed.

Cameroun and Canada are using train via railway line to convey petroleum products thereby decongesting the public highway of dangerous tankers.

But in Nigeria, our leaders are blind to new or old technological knowhow that is used in the industrialised world.

IT IS SIMPLY OUTDATED TO BE USING TANKER TO BE CONVEYING PETROLEUM PRODUCTS MORESO IN PUBLIC HIGHWAY.

The development of an efficient railway line system that will be used to convey petroleum products and agricultural goods is what the Nigerian government should put in place to avert this needless tragedy.

Are you unaware that railway lines are being laid across the country or you simply want to blame Buhari?
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by frank41(m): 5:08pm On Jun 30, 2018
The basic problem of this country is corruption, lawlessness and non-standardization of laws... Until this problem is tackled this mayhem will continue . And only the poor masses suffers it most.
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 30, 2018
EgunMogaji:

True, trains do not make deliveries to gas stations, they only transport Across counties, or Regions.

1 Like

Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by saidu009: 5:20pm On Jun 30, 2018
May Allah heal all you all fast . amin
Re: Otedola Bridge Explosion Victim In Hospital Speaks: 'It Was Like A War' by otokx(m): 5:24pm On Jun 30, 2018
Dicksonpal:
They were arguing whether it's petrol or diesel, like Wtf!!!!!!

That is Nigeria for you, there was quite some time for many to escape.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

US Embassy Blocks Visa Interview Dates In Nigeria Until Further Notice / Emirates Airline Celebrates The April Fool's Day With This Insane Jet / The Final Moments Before A Plane Crashed In South Africa (Graphic Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.