Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,994 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:12 PM

Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? (26471 Views)

Nigerians Raise N70m For Baby With Hole In His Heart In Less Than 48hrs (pics) / Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) / Baby With 4 Hands And 3 Legs Born In Zaria, Kaduna (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by amina2000: 1:22am On Jul 01, 2018
Goodmorning Family and happy New month.
I just put to birth and it was a difficult delivery becos my baby was too big ,during delivery the upper limp of my baby was stretched that he could not move one his hands, or feel it.Pls I want to know if any mother has experience this and how were they able help heal or use the hand.thanks
Note :the scans was seeing a small baby so there was no room for C S.
Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by Coldplay007(f): 2:20am On Jul 01, 2018
amina2000:
I just put to birth and it was a difficult delivery becos my baby was too big ,during delivery the upper limp of my baby was stretched that he could not move one his hands, or feel it.Pls I want to know if any mother has experience this and how were they able help heal or use the hand.thanks

Sue that hospital..

Brachial plexus injury. Most cases resolve within 4 months of birth but can last up to 2 years before resolving. Hopefully the damage is not permanent.

Go to a hospital that has a consultant Neurologist..

99 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by notttty(m): 5:52am On Jul 01, 2018
My younger
sis has the same experience with her second child. Maybe i could ask her to help me with the number of the physiotherapist her husband brought that helped the baby greatly. Now the arm that seem dead before nw has some movement and he is using his fingers nw.tho stil work in progress but so far so good. Wish u luck madam. Quote me if u want the number so that i wil ask her by morning.

42 Likes

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by vistamedics: 6:06am On Jul 01, 2018
amina2000:

You need to visit a neurosurgeon. This is erbs palsy caused by poor upper limb delivery majorly the shoulder. ( Shoulder distocia) Your baby will fine eventually. And finally, let the hospital know of this situation. As a matter of fact they should foot the bill as a price of their deficiency!!!

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by eyinjuege: 6:07am On Jul 01, 2018
Go see a paediatrician with your child.
And discuss about physiotherapists with them. Don't waste time

8 Likes

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by sisisioge: 6:35am On Jul 01, 2018
Na wa o...kisses and good health to your baby. Biko follow people's advice. Don't waste time.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by Coldplay007(f): 8:19am On Jul 01, 2018
vistamedics:

You need to visit a neurosurgeon. This is erbs palsy caused by poor upper limb delivery majorly the shoulder. ( Shoulder distocia) Your baby will fine eventually. And finally, let the hospital know of this situation. As a matter of fact they should foot the bill as a price of their deficiency!!!

Consultant Neurologist not Neurosurgeon..
Better still a Pediatric Neurologist..

24 Likes

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by Prognose: 10:49am On Jul 01, 2018
amina2000:
[s]Note :the scans was seeing a small baby so there was no room for C S[/s].

You don't need to put that last bit, it can happen to anybody, it's not your fault.

The first thing you should do IMMEDIATELY is to take the baby for physiotherapy. I assume you gave birth in the hospital. Go to the physiotherapy department before the baby reaches one week! You can visit a neurosurgeon later (if he will do anything in this country). This is very serious. Don't say the baby is too young. Visit a physiotherapist first thing tomorrow so that they can assess the damage to the nerves(brachial plexus) and tell you how good or bad it is.
All the best.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by dominique(f): 11:00am On Jul 01, 2018
Delay is dangerous! Take the baby to a good orthopaedic hospital

1 Like

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 01, 2018
All will be fine
Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by CLASSMAN: 11:01am On Jul 01, 2018
It will heal , had same experience eith my daughter too and it healed at least she is 8 years now and healthy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by Nobody: 11:01am On Jul 01, 2018
dominique:
Delay is dangerous! Take the baby to a good orthopaedic hospital

Kindly ff this Advice Asap

8 Likes

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by bpalace(m): 11:02am On Jul 01, 2018
Coldplay007:

Sue that hospital..

Brachial plexus injury. Most cases resolve within 4 months of birth but can last up to 2 years before resolving. Hopefully the damage is not permanent.

Sue hospital without knowing details of the events.... Mtchew

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by Metuh: 11:03am On Jul 01, 2018
amina2000:
Was the baby delivered in your backyard

Are you seriously asking Nairalanders the solution to your new born baby's injury

What happened to visiting the hospital? Social media has rendered a lot of Nigerians dull.

My advice is for you to start massaging the baby hands with hot water. mtcheeeew

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by Rakiticbarca: 11:04am On Jul 01, 2018
It's called Erbs palsy, relax and dont be scared, all you need do is get a good physiotherapist to be seeing your baby. You will need an EMS and an aeroplane splint to position your baby's upper limb. Like I said you've got no problem, the earlier you start the better.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by iamstrong(m): 11:05am On Jul 01, 2018
Brachial plexus injury.....see a paediatric who will refer you to a physiotherapist.

3 Likes

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by bigpicture001: 11:05am On Jul 01, 2018
Coldplay007:

Sue that hospital..

...why not " neurologist " but why a " consultant Neurologist "...

1 Like

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by PRYCE(m): 11:06am On Jul 01, 2018
bpalace:

Sue hospital without knowing details of the events.... Mtchew

Yes She should sue them!

Brachial Plexus (Erb's Palsy) almost ALL the time, borders around Negligence. Except, you didn't regularly go for Antenatal care...(Scans and all).

2 Likes

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by faithesco(f): 11:07am On Jul 01, 2018
amina2000:
Hope it's not what am thinking, I pray you find the help that you seek cos most cases end up being permanent cry cry

1 Like

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by Nobody: 11:07am On Jul 01, 2018
Lemme learn
Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by Akwasi(m): 11:09am On Jul 01, 2018
My wife had exactly same experience with the birth of our last baby. She weighed a whopping 3.8kg at birth.

The limb was solved with physiotherapy

4 Likes

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by oshe11: 11:11am On Jul 01, 2018
Physiotherapy ti take over.....

Wishing your Baby Good health.....

Like others have said, DON'T WASTE TIME BECAUSE TIME ITSELF NA MONEY

3 Likes

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by bigpicture001: 11:11am On Jul 01, 2018
...the end result if not checked fast is that the child would grow and that arm would grow for some time and permanently stop growth. so almost like a child with a limb disability....sorry to be the one that reveal this to u. but I think u should know....
Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 01, 2018
amina2000:
. Goodmorning Family and happy New month.
its called Klumpke's paralyses. it may be combined with erbs paralyses. the cure is physiotherapy if mild,if severe, surgery is the last option, I'll advise you go for management as soon as you can.

1 Like

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by pushkin(f): 11:12am On Jul 01, 2018
That hospital needs to be sued. When a woman is in labor there should be a CS option on standby just in case of complications.
Scans don't always have the accurate size of babies in the womb. When I had my baby though normal delivery but there was cs option on standby cos I had a big baby.

1 Like

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by drlateef: 11:13am On Jul 01, 2018
Just as some others have stated, this is a brachial plexus injury. You need to be seen by a paediatric neurologist, who will examine your child. A nerve conduction study etc may be necessary.
Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by Rocktation(f): 11:14am On Jul 01, 2018
Metuh:

Was the baby delivered in your backyard

Are you seriously asking Nairalanders the solution to your new born baby's injury

What happened to visiting the hospital? Social media has rendered a lot of Nigerians dull.

My advice is for you to start massaging the baby hands with hot water. mtcheeeew

You under estimate the relevance of social media. Netizens have helped provide solutions and prevent disasters, where doctors being seen have fallen short. You have NO idea.
You prolly don't know that doctors, even consultants, almost never log off from particular sites...WebMD e.g...because they are constantly seeking to increase their knowledge... Like even in front of a patient they're having a session with, they're surfing stuff regarding their case..? You just don't know what you are saying..

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by AgentGoat: 11:15am On Jul 01, 2018
Them go carry unnecessary argument enter this thread now. Feeling superior to one another.

1 Like

Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by showafrica(m): 11:15am On Jul 01, 2018
amina2000:

I blame the doctor for this.. However what has happened has happened. Just make sure the bones are in the right places, as he grows, the brain will connect
Re: Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? by twilliamx(m): 11:17am On Jul 01, 2018
Please look for a pediatrician. Also visit igbobi hospital if you are in Lagos. They have good orthopedic doctors there. He might have just dislocated his bone.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fireworks Blows Off Of UNIUYO Student's Fingers (Graphic Photos) / Coronavirus: Test result of suspected Katsina case negative / #justiceforchidubem: Tina Ogbonnaya Narrates Her Side Of The Story (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.