Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,141 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk (4959 Views)

Lagos Assembly Orders Relocation Of Mile 12 And Owode Markets / Advice needed : How do I successfully manage my bakery In Nigeria from the UK?. / Exporting Goods From Uk To Lagos: Which Goods? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Striker1(m): 1:39pm On Jun 09, 2010
Yeah Poster, I'd disregard what most of this people on here have to say ! They are used to their traditional 'get a job' - 'build a house' - 'buy a prado' sequence of events, most of them nor know wetin dey !,

I totally agree with 'faithin9ja, there is tooooo much money to be made here, as long as u focus on the getting the money part, u can buy 50 prados for all anybody cares !

We Nigerians are sooooo quick to throw advises and advices at people and anyone, when it comes to any issue under the sun, from finance to religion to morals etc, cos for some reason we think we hav the best formula for everything !

My advise to u, ! (hehe hypocrite like me !) when u want to learn how to fly, you don't go to the penguin to teach you to fly now do you? !
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by newvision: 1:40pm On Jun 09, 2010
@ faithin9ja

Thanks for your response, my thoughts echoed by your humble self, out of the ten years of staying in the UK. I  ran(am still running) my own biz for 5 out of those. Its like a buttomless pit attempting to maintian a decent /above average lifestyle here, Its a better option regardless of the known demons

I am employing the same progressive approach/strategy. It so happens that I am into Solar installation.

send me an email (richard@soltechpower.com) with your contact details (if you dont mind) I always like to network with like minded people

Regards
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by dremoney(m): 1:55pm On Jun 09, 2010
faithin9ja:

@Vavavoom, I called them 'haters' because as I find with many Nigerians, we don't like our own country, always talking ourself down. See my tag Faith in 9ja!!!

The poster asked for advice regarding living arrangements not his business, but we seem to want to advice him on his business.

@newvision, it's taken me a year to settle and I am still settling down.

Please note Nigeria is not easy, there are many challenges but it is in the midst of these challenges that money can be made. There's a bad power supply so people are making money in solar power generation, there's poor water supply so people are making money in water pumping equipment, there is limited housing, so people are making money in building material. I say this just to highlight to other Nigerians, opportunities that exist within this great but difficult country.

But the poster asks for living conditions and we decide to highlight all the difficulties, am sure he is already aware of these challenges, but he (I presume it's a he) and other foreigners; Indians, Lebanese, Israelis, South Africans are coming to live in Nigeria, this same Nigeria that nairalanders continue to highlight the negatives.

Don't get me wrong, am not naive and I know the problems as much as any other Nigerian but I also know it is only we Nigerians that can do our little bit to improve the country. By coming back the poster will do his bit to help Nigeria, at least he will employ one or two people.

I'm so pleased with your words of encouragement.I love meeting positive minded folks like your.I came to Uk September 2007 for my masters and graduated last year March.I intend to relocate back to Nigeria at the end or before 2010 by God's grace to start a business no matter how small.Please,my budget is pretty small and would appreciate your advise (damilare31@yahoo.co.uk) is my account,please kindly send me an email for further details.

I have come to realise people use scare tactics to prevent others from relocating.Moreover,i think its wrong to generalise opinions because things work for in different ways!
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by sley4life(m): 2:01pm On Jun 09, 2010
Let those that wanna hear let them hear. Staying in foreign land in the name of greener pastures shouldnt be all u shuld aspire
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Vavavoom(m): 2:12pm On Jun 09, 2010
faithin9ja:

@Vavavoom, I called them 'haters' because as I find with many Nigerians, we don't like our own country, always talking ourself down. See my tag Faith in 9ja!!!

The poster asked for advice regarding living arrangements not his business, but we seem to want to advice him on his business.

@newvision, it's taken me a year to settle and I am still settling down.

Please note Nigeria is not easy, there are many challenges but it is in the midst of these challenges that money can be made. There's a bad power supply so people are making money in solar power generation, there's poor water supply so people are making money in water pumping equipment, there is limited housing, so people are making money in building material. I say this just to highlight to other Nigerians, opportunities that exist within this great but difficult country.

But the poster asks for living conditions and we decide to highlight all the difficulties, am sure he is already aware of these challenges, but he (I presume it's a he) and other foreigners; Indians, Lebanese, Israelis, South Africans are coming to live in Nigeria, this same Nigeria that nairalanders continue to highlight the negatives.

Don't get me wrong, am not naive and I know the problems as much as any other Nigerian but I also know it is only we Nigerians that can do our little bit to improve the country. By coming back the poster will do his bit to help Nigeria, at least he will employ one or two people.

Okay faithin9ja. Nicely put, Nigeria could use all qualified hands. Welcome back home.
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by faithin9ja: 2:20pm On Jun 09, 2010
Dear Poster

to answer your specific question;

Airfreight your personal effects, £3.50 per kilo, will be with you in less than 10 days.

Buy a gen in UK, £800 or less for 20KVA (equivalent in Nigeria N1.5mill), very good model, put this is a van or 4x4, also an LCD TV in original packaging, by ship from Tilbury or Sheerness should cost no more than £1000 for freight and cost N250k to clear depending on the vehicle, shouldn't take longer than 8 weeks to get to your door. don't worry no more wharf rats in Apapa or Tin Can.

Customs frown on fridges and furniture so don't bother with them and buy locally, but you can airfreight flatpack Ikea type furniture.

Get a good agent for a property in Dolphin, Dolphin is good for links to Island and the Airport, but sometimes it can flood during rainy season although recent drainage work have solved some of these problems.

Landlord will want 2 years upfront but you can negotiate this to pay first year immediately and the subsequent year in a few months time, the agents and lawyer will want 10% to 20%, they will want full amount upfront. Remember all this is subject negotiation.

When you have settled a bit you can buy a smaller car in Nigeria, you need 2 cars in Nigeria, buy a Kia or Hyundai or smaller Toyota or Honda. You can get finance for this, after your initial deposit it will probably cost about N50k a month.

You can also consider buying a house after a couple of years, you can get a finance for this as well, no credit reference agencies here, you'll need at least 25% - 40% deposit and repayment is not more than 7 years, usually as short as 5 years - so not really a mortgage, rather a secured loan. You will find your loan repayments will be more than the equivalent rent for such a property.

You will also need to factor in some domestic help, some people pay as low N15k a month for cook or steward, I would suggest much more, closer to N30k - N40k, personal driver N30k - N40K pcm, diesel will cost you up to N80k month (much more than your EON bill in UK), you will lose a further N20k every month to small 'egunje' from your staff.

Anyway these are just pointers, am sure you will do your research.
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by superstar1(m): 6:52pm On Jun 09, 2010
@ Faithin9ja
My utmost respect for your positive attitude, yeah challenges abound in our country, we are not disputing that, we v been complaining of this country ever since when we have been in primary school, itz high tym we take our destiny into our hands and see the opportunities that the Indians,Chinese,Israelis, and even Pakistanis are seeing in our dear country, harness it, make better living for ourselves. If u r contented with staying in other parts of the world, that is your lot and it is your choice, that does not give anyone the right to talk down or den=base the senses of the people relocating back to 9ja or that even stayed back, whether you in diaspora or 9ja herself we shd all realise we are all nigerians, i rest my case
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by UpBendel(m): 7:42pm On Jun 09, 2010
Is this a joke
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by dremoney(m): 8:17pm On Jun 09, 2010
faithin9ja:

Dear Poster

to answer your specific question;

Airfreight your personal effects, £3.50 per kilo, will be with you in less than 10 days.

Buy a gen in UK, £800 or less for 20KVA (equivalent in Nigeria N1.5mill), very good model, put this is a van or 4x4, also an LCD TV in original packaging, by ship from Tilbury or Sheerness should cost no more than £1000 for freight and cost N250k to clear depending on the vehicle, shouldn't take longer than 8 weeks to get to your door. don't worry no more wharf rats in Apapa or Tin Can.

Customs frown on fridges and furniture so don't bother with them and buy locally, but you can airfreight flatpack Ikea type furniture.

Get a good agent for a property in Dolphin, Dolphin is good for links to Island and the Airport, but sometimes it can flood during rainy season although recent drainage work have solved some of these problems.

Landlord will want 2 years upfront but you can negotiate this to pay first year immediately and the subsequent year in a few months time, the agents and lawyer will want 10% to 20%, they will want full amount upfront. Remember all this is subject negotiation.

When you have settled a bit you can buy a smaller car in Nigeria, you need 2 cars in Nigeria, buy a Kia or Hyundai or smaller Toyota or Honda. You can get finance for this, after your initial deposit it will probably cost about N50k a month.

You can also consider buying a house after a couple of years, you can get a finance for this as well, no credit reference agencies here, you'll need at least 25% - 40% deposit and repayment is not more than 7 years, usually as short as 5 years - so not really a mortgage, rather a secured loan. You will find your loan repayments will be more than the equivalent rent for such a property.

You will also need to factor in some domestic help, some people pay as low N15k a month for cook or steward, I would suggest much more, closer to N30k - N40k, personal driver N30k - N40K pcm, diesel will cost you up to N80k month (much more than your EON bill in UK), you will lose a further N20k every month to small 'egunje' from your staff.

Anyway these are just pointers, am sure you will do your research.

Nice one brova.Pls,im still expecting an email from you, damilare31@yahoo.co.uk, regards
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by wadmanltd: 9:27pm On Jun 09, 2010
faithin9ja nah true wah u talk. people just like 2 be drama queens. at the end of the day nah who go make this our country better. No be all of us need do our bit?
Nah just governement like to spoil show for the little guy.

@poster, 1 tip i will make is to consider accounting for everyday nijia wear and tear under ur business costs if you are a sole proprietor. Nijia wear and tear particularly includes governement regulations.
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by labiyemmy(m): 7:24am On Jun 10, 2010
@Poster

Cant you see there are so many haters around this place? Why do you come here to seek advice? Abeg, dont mind them, what is anybodys business where you chose to live, what car you chose to drive and all that? This is because they have no idea about what your vision is, they are just myopic and find it hard to think why someone will want to relocate to Nigeria from the UK, they even say it is because you are home sick? what a way to think.

Bros, as much as you dont have to tell anyone your financial capabilities, if you have the money, live in Dolphin, buy your Prado, buy your generator, and use the rest to rock the city while you run your business. I returned from the UK four years ago and things I have had the opportunity of doing in Nigeria are things I can only dream about in the UK. Like someone said, there are so many opportunities in Nigeria, just stay focused, and one thing you shouldnt do is to take anything you read on NairaLand serious - repeat, do not take anything you read here serious or else, you will loose focus.

Riding a Prado or living in Dolphin with a big generator is not a sign of un seriousness, it is a sign that you know what you want, you have the where withal and boy, go get it and leave the haters where they belong.
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 10, 2010
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by chikeorji123(m): 10:13am On Jun 10, 2010
chaircover:

Wow there's a lot of anger in your post.

Its quite funny how the word hater seems to have gained so much popularity on this thread. People forget that there are thousands of users on Nairaland there are bound to be differences in advice and opinions. The fact that I have a different opinion from yours does not mean I have to be called names.

No one said the poster shouldn't return to Nigeria, what a I and a few other people were saying was for the poster to prioritise.

Now how does that make one a hater, myopic or have faulty thinking? If indeed he ends up living in Dolphin and buying his Prado, of what disadvantage or advantage is that to me or anyone else on this forum? after all Dolhim is meant for living and a Prado is meant for driving.

As you have taken things a little personal, I will give you a modest background. Glory be to God, I run my own business in Nigeria, so infact I have experienced what the poster is here looking for advise on. God has also been good in the property side of things.

I know the things to generally expect in the Nigerian business sector as I have been through it myself. I am also very well settled in the UK so am in a position to be able to comment on life in both countries and I don't just come here and talk about things I have no knowledge on.
l'm proud to have someone like u on this forum,real men are know by their speech.May the good God bless u.
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by labiyemmy(m): 10:24am On Jun 10, 2010
@Chaircover

I think you are the one who took things personal- where in my post did i refer to you personally or to anyone else?

Make your post, I make my post, abeg, dont trade words, I am not that kind of person. I dont need to know about anyone's background, Thank you.
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Nobody: 11:50am On Jun 10, 2010
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Grouppoint(m): 1:09am On Jun 11, 2010
People, I truly appreciate all your contributions. I do not believe anyone particularly said anything in bad faith. I can understand how a reader might take a viewpoint of my post as unserious. Its clearly because I have sought relocation advice, not business advice. The business side is well and truly covered; and has been for quite a few years now.

Also, Buying vs Renting. I believe one should buy real estate in areas that have greater scope for capital appreciation. However, you may not wish to live in such areas for now,  At the same time, you can afford to rent in the best parts of town. This way, you have the best of both worlds.

I mentioned Dolphin because I really could be living in Parkview, but I find that Dolphin provides the same accessibility for a lot less money.
Similarly, a Prado jeep provides durability on Nigerian roads, and would not cost the same as my Range Rover.

@FaithinNaija. You are clearly walking the walk. Its clear that you are not just throwing words around. Your top tips are well thought through, and very much appreciated.

@Chaircover. I also appreciate your views. Quite constructive.

People. I asked an open question because I hoped to get all sorts of views, which I did. I will now take time to absorb the suggestions accordingly.
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 11, 2010
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by AkoEja: 12:37am On Jun 12, 2010
Just in case you are serious, if you have a business in the UK, do not close all down suddenly and shift base, do it gradually over 2-5 years, then move permanenly when the time is right. This is what I am doing at the moment. This means I have the facts myself, and don't need anybody telling me how much it costs to rent a house, buy one or build one. You need to visit Nigeria 1-3 times every year and see things for yourself first before moving finally.

But, I suspect,
This looks like a waste of time for those replying to this post. I don't think you are serious about relocating!
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 12, 2010
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Grouppoint(m): 12:49am On Jun 13, 2010
AkoEja:

But, I suspect,
This looks like a waste of time for those replying to this post. I don't think you are serious about relocating!

@AkoEja, Thanks for your input. However, I have not asked you to determine whether I am serious or not.

I already have a business in Nigeria. It s doing well. Let us kindly remove the focus from my business, as Nairaland is not where I would go to seek business advice (no insult intended on NL).

I travel to Naija approx 4 times each year. I already run a business in Nigeria. What I wanted was a practical checklist for relocation. Such insight can only come from those who have walked the walk, @FaithinNaija, @Chaircover and others have provided excellent insights. Many Thanks
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by OnyeBabe1(f): 11:10pm On Jun 13, 2010
It would be awesome if you started a blog, so that others trying to relocate can get some ideas and insight on how to. Goodluck smiley
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by OROZ(m): 12:30pm On Jun 28, 2010
call me for a better advice privately if ur really serious about what u want my no. is 08191532856 bob.
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by iwakunbaba: 6:29pm On Jul 03, 2010
@ poster my candid advice is for u to relocate in phases, 40% in nigeria 60% in u k. then vice versa.
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by ama27(f): 10:26pm On Jul 07, 2010
my own 2 pence  mostly from lesons learnt! : me and my family have been in  the UK  for about 10yrs and began the relocation journey last year ( i dont know if you have a family that is moving with you)
we decided that my husband goes first and then me and my daughter join him after and this plan has worked well for us.
In terms of practical things:

(1) have u considered a 2nd car if u can afford it , one that is not as expensive as the first but still reliable, cos flogging the same car everyday will soon cause the car to start having prob in naija. so it is some time good if u can  inter change to give d 4x4 a rest and also because if your car goes to the mechanic or develops any fault you have an alternative while u are trying to sort it out.
(2) an inverter to compliment your gen
(3) please try to aviod buying electronics in the UK and taking it to naija , it is best to go and buy over there becos it seems that electronics that go to the tropics are engineered different and if anything happens tha parts would be dfifficult to find ( we have lost 2 42" LCD TV to this prob) even if you go to the manufacturer for the repair (in our own case    LG) any electronicvs u need you can find in naija.

You mentioned that you have your biz sorted good on you.  i wish you all the best and i know it is not a decision you will regret ,  we havent.
by the way one of the biz we run in naija is a travel agency so please visit our site and we can give u a quote for your travel  grin abi i must use every opp to advertise. www.alphatravelsng.com
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Osama10(m): 11:42pm On Jul 07, 2010
OROZ:

call me for a better advice privately if your really serious about what u want my no. is 08191532856 bob.

I thought he asked for advice here, why calling you? sad
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by jot01(m): 12:16pm On Jul 11, 2010
Hi Evryone, this poster has brought up a very good and interesting Topic here. Its a dream of everyone to relocate to his or her own country to contribute to the economy . I have been in South Africa for just 2years and thinking of relocating back to Nija soon and start my own business. Living abroad has given people ideas of what to do that will be a great benefit of people in Nija. Looking at Bills you pay monthly is enough to buy a land in Mowe or Ibafo, lol . All we need to know is Nija will be a great place to start a buisness and living a comfortable life.

I really do appreciate what Chaircover has said, i really enjoy every of his comment on the Website wherever i see it. Those are the type of people we need on NL. Cheers people.

Have a wonderful day.
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 11, 2010
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by jot01(m): 8:30am On Jul 12, 2010
chaircover:

Thank you jot01

Chaircover is a lady o! & not a man wink

Am sorry never knew you are a SHE. lol
I didn't look at your profile only like your post and contribution's on this forum.

Have a wonderful day.

Cheers
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jul 12, 2010
Quote: U will need 50million, a machet and open eyes
grin grin grin grin
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 12, 2010
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by jot01(m): 7:34pm On Jul 13, 2010
Smiles.
Went through your website and like your Business.
Am in SA. will be Looking forward doing Business with you whnever i come to Nija.

Keep it Up.

Cheers
Re: Advice On Relocation To Nigeria From Uk by Rhino3dm: 8:18am On Jul 30, 2010
Useless thread.
Big time scammer looking for a prey.
Get lost!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

28th August Seized Goods - Nonnykings Settlement Thread / Nigeria Solid Mineral And Gemstones Dealers / How Can I Be A Recharge Card Sub Dealer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.