Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,788 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. (16147 Views)

Instagram Announces Plan To Allow Users 'Shadow Ban' Bullies On Their Accounts / Google Buys HTC Assets In $1.1bn Return To Mobile Phone Ownership / Google Looks At Devices Market, May Buy Troubled HTC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by TechCapon(m): 2:08pm On Jul 02, 2018
TechCapon

TAIWAN, JULY 2ND. As revenue continues to dwindle and in a desperate effort for survival, struggling Taiwan based smartphone makers HTC has announced plans to slash 1500 staff members of their global workforce. The fortunes of HTC has no doubt nosedived drastically in recent years.

This indicate that the floor is about to cave-in for the struggling Taiwanese mobile phone maker that once sold one in 10 smartphones globally, but has seen its market share decline amid mounting competition from Apple, Samsung, LG and Chinese rivals.

HTC said it would cut 1,500 jobs in its manufacturing unit in Taiwan. This represents about a quarter of the 6,450 staff it employed globally as of June, data from the company shows.
“Today HTC announces plan to optimize the manufacturing organizations in Taiwan … This plan will allow more effective and flexible resource management going forward,” the company says in a statement made available to Reuters.

This massive layoffs follows a $1.1 billion deal late last year under which HTC lost 2,000 staff, mainly handset engineers, to Alphabet’s Google, casting doubts over the company’s longer-term future. Recall that HTC’s president Chialin Chang resigned in February this year following numerous challenges facing the company. I wonder what went wrong with HTC considering the fact that they made some of the best smartphones few years ago. For a company who has over 19000 staff in 2013, now they'll be less than 5000. My advice for those that would not be affected by the mass sack is to quietly start dusting up their CVs because they might be needing it soon!

Source:http://techcapon.com/embattled-htc-has-announced-plans-to-sack-1500-workers/

2 Likes

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Harryfrosh: 3:32pm On Jul 02, 2018
HTC is my first Android phone....heavy with a lot of software and back then in school....going around with my HTC G14 is like a president with long entourage....time move really fast on technology.....when it comes to technology....it'll always be one king after another

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Flexherbal(m): 4:15pm On Jul 02, 2018
Some homes are going to feel this heat!
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2018
Dust your cv
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by TechCapon(m): 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2018
Harryfrosh:
HTC is my first Android phone....heavy with a lot of software and back then in school....going around with my HTC G14 is like a president with long entourage....time move really fast on technology.....when it comes to technology....it'll always be one king after another
they should just sell the company to HMD global, the new owners of Nokia. It seems they're very good at reviving dead phone companies. grin

14 Likes

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by SalamRushdie: 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2018
HTC is like Mode9 the Nigerians rapper who fans swear is the bomb but will never cough out money to buy his CD instead they will end up buyin Davidos music likewise HTC fans who always end up buying apple or samsung.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by originally(m): 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2018
tOO BAD
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 02, 2018
I just got myself HTC 10, and I'm loving it!

5 Likes

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by remotecontrol: 4:17pm On Jul 02, 2018
i think HTC lacks design concept. that is the only challenge i think they have

3 Likes

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by freemanbubble: 4:17pm On Jul 02, 2018
isoright
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Offpoint: 4:17pm On Jul 02, 2018
What is HTC please? is it a name of a person, place or thing? cuz here in kuvuki land we don't know it.

2 Likes

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Spanner4(m): 4:18pm On Jul 02, 2018
HTC.... pls BlackBerry Abi blue berry,,,, bring yourself back.... for all those that sold themselves for bb ....pls how is the ministry now
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by DannyJ19(m): 4:18pm On Jul 02, 2018
bad time
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by skales67(m): 4:18pm On Jul 02, 2018
Why won't they suffer dwindling resources when their phones are bloody expensive!

One tokunbo htc can buy you a good brand new phone

19 Likes

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Angy55(f): 4:19pm On Jul 02, 2018
Sorry in advance to the unlucky workers that would be laid off.
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by opara28(m): 4:22pm On Jul 02, 2018
Top company with a fantastic smart phone....Guess their marketing team has to figure out what their consumers actually want and also try to keep up with the latest software and technology other mobile company's are using.

1 Like

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Koolking(m): 4:22pm On Jul 02, 2018
HTC, my best brand of Android phones. They need to be competitive in prices even as their phones are design and OS rugged. There are options for people to choose from now.

As for me #TeamHTC

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by lordm(m): 4:26pm On Jul 02, 2018
Buhari
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Gerrard59(m): 4:27pm On Jul 02, 2018
HTC One M8, my first Android device. They got a good design team but lack in marketing - which is what drives profits - the sole aim of business.

https://www.nairaland.com/1980370/personal-review-htc-one-m8

1 Like

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by adeoba2008(m): 4:31pm On Jul 02, 2018
All is well
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by wildcatter23(m): 4:31pm On Jul 02, 2018
angry
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Iammelvin(m): 4:35pm On Jul 02, 2018
Gerrard59:
HTC One M8, my first Android device. They got a good design team but lack in marketing - which is what drives profits - the sole aim of business.

https://www.nairaland.com/1980370/personal-review-htc-one-m8

Saw this your thread back then in 2014..How time flies

1 Like

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by AntiWailer: 4:37pm On Jul 02, 2018
Economic issues every where.
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Hakeem12(m): 4:40pm On Jul 02, 2018
The tech world is rapidly evolving.

Guess HTC couldn't handle the competition

1 Like

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by IdeyFindWife: 4:41pm On Jul 02, 2018
Strategy! Strategy!! Strategy!!

Marketing! Constant Brand promotion!! Brand Diversification!!! Corporate & Market Push flexibility.

They should've branched out a division catering to mid-range to low end phones manufacturing & sales tho economic dumping grounds ahh over the world.

Oldest trick in the book.

That would have sustained them financially and given then a very fat, very robust bottom-line to keep working their Research Labs, inventing their toys and rolling with the big boys.

Same way HP outsold Compaq, IBM & co to dominate the office automation techn & EQ market.

1 Like

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Afonja007: 4:42pm On Jul 02, 2018
Koolking:
HTC, my best brand of Android phones. They need to be competitive in prices even as their phones are design and OS rugged. There are options for people to choose from now.

As for me #TeamHTC
it will never be well with HTC that phone put me in serious debt with A1 telecommunication here ,phone that will will cost me 250euros for two years contract later turned to 700euros
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by BedLam: 4:44pm On Jul 02, 2018
IdeyFindWife:
Strategy! Strategy!! Strategy!!

They should've branched out a division catering to mid-range to low end phones manufacturing & sales tho economic dumping grounds ahh over the world.

Oldest trick in the book.

That would have sustained them financially and given then a very fat, very robust bottom-line to keep working their Research Labs, inventing their toys and rolling with the big boys.

Same way HP outsold Compaq, IBM & co to dominate the office automation techn & EQ market.
I think they did that but they really lagged behind in terms of design just like Sony. They kept pushing the same designs over and over and I've never seen HTC advertised!

2 Likes

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by ddjay: 4:46pm On Jul 02, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

MAKE UNA COME SEE WATIN TECNO DEY CAUSE FOR MOBILE MARKET OO,SAMSUNG AND IPHONE BETA COME BEG TECNO O
Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 02, 2018
grin

2 Likes

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by Koolking(m): 4:54pm On Jul 02, 2018
Afonja007:
it will never be well with HTC that phone put me in serious debt with A1 telecommunication here ,phone that will will cost me 250euros for two years contract later turned to 700euros

LMAO...

700E from 250E? Didn't you read the T&Cs.

1 Like

Re: Embattled HTC Announces Plan To Sack 1500 Workers. by faithesco(f): 5:01pm On Jul 02, 2018
Offpoint:
What is HTC please? is it a name person, place or thing? cuz here in kuvuki land we don't know it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why You Shouldn't Subscribe To DND (Do Not Disturb) / Nigerians To Pay More As GSM Operators Plan 40% Tariff Hike / Andriod Games (free Take Away)!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.