Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,340 members, 7,822,611 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Nigeria's John Obi Mikel Reveals Father Kidnapped Before World Cup Clash Vs. Arg - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria's John Obi Mikel Reveals Father Kidnapped Before World Cup Clash Vs. Arg (461 Views)

Cameroon Coach Seedorf Reveals His Major Worry Ahead Of Clash Vs Nigeria / Why Puma Paid Pele To Tie His Shoelace Before World Cup Match In 1970. Photos / Michael Obi: Mikel’s Father Kidnapped, Rescued In Enugu Forest (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's John Obi Mikel Reveals Father Kidnapped Before World Cup Clash Vs. Arg by gistyinka(m): 12:40pm On Jul 03, 2018
On Tuesday 26th of June 2018, Nigeria’s Super Eagles captain John Mikel Obi led the Nigerian team to played their final group game this year World Cup 2018 in Russia, against the Lionel Messi‘s led Argentina team, despite fully knowing that his father Elder Michael Obi, has being held for ransom in Enugu, with the kidnappers telling him not to tell anybody or he should risk his father’s life of being shoot “instantly” if authorities were informed.

While speaking with the KweséESPN reporter Collin Udoh, Mikel Obi said that he received a call from the kidnappers about four hours before kickoff in the decisive World Cup clash against Argentina in St Petersburg, and they demanded N10 Million ($28,000 US) for the safe return of his father, Pa Michael Obi.

Mikel, speaking to KweséESPN after the rescue, said that he did not tell his bosses at the Nigeria Football Federation, nor did he tell his coach Gernot Rohr, but instead kept the situation to himself and opted to face Lionel Messi‘s team as if nothing was amiss.

How Patriotic Are You? Mikel Obi Deserves Some Accolades! How Mikel Obi Played With Trauma Against Argentina, Despite Fully Knowing That His Father Has Being Kidnapped In Enugu

“I was confused. I did not know what to do, but in the end I knew that I could not let 180 million Nigerians down,” Mikel said. “I had to shut it out of my head and go and represent my country first. I was told that they would shoot my dad instantly if I reported to the authorities or told anybody.

The elder Obi was on his way to a funeral in south eastern Nigeria from Jos when he was abducted along the Makurdi-Enugu expressway on June 26. He and his driver were rescued by police, after a “gun duel,” on July 2, nearly a week after the kidnapping.

Mikel’s father was then taken to hospital for treatment, with family sources telling KweséESPN that the elderly man had been tortured and required multiple stitches. He returned to hospital on Tuesday after some of the sutures broke, and Mikel is considering flying his father abroad for further treatment.

Nigeria lost that game 2-1 to Argentina and were eliminated from the World Cup. The midfielder flew home to England almost immediately to deal with the situation, and is scheduled to return to China, where he plays his club football, later on Tuesday.

How Patriotic Are You? Mikel Obi Deserves Some Accolades!

How Patriotic Are You? Mikel Obi Deserves Some Accolades! How Mikel Obi Played With Trauma Against Argentina, Despite Fully Knowing That His Father Has Being Kidnapped In Enugu

(1) (Reply)

Is This True Of Jose Mourinho.. / Revealed : Arnaut Danjuma Slightly Favors Netherlands Over Nigeria / Usain Bolt Wins First Professional Football Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.