Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,050 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode (7439 Views)

Pregnant For The Devil - A Romantic Novel (18+) / The Devil In The Suit / The Handsome Devil I Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:48pm On Jul 04, 2018
Hello friends..I have here a short story. It is a fiction. The idea behind it might not be fictitious. Please read and enjoy..and comments if you see fit too

I will as usual hail some fellows here whose works have been really nice..

Larrysun,Shewrites,Fiyah,Oyinprince,Souloho90,Just2day,itsandi,Repogirl,Safarigirl,MissWrites....Centino

I just discovered some other amazing writers recently. You should check them out..Ishilove,Lilijoe..cowhard,..I am trying to remember names..the author of Jewel in the Ghetto..and some more...

1 Like

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:51pm On Jul 04, 2018
SYNOPSIS

His quest for success and wealth got stained with an unhealthy method and means. Now he has hurt some human soul and traded a life, a little innocent life for money.

Would he ever be forgiven? Would he forgive himself? Would who he sold be found again?

2 Likes

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:54pm On Jul 04, 2018
This work will come in short chapters but will be COMPLETED fast.

Let's move the invitation cards..

Samexdx stephengee12 hadampson dview001 rachealfst alarmednigerian vakjay08 meneski yommy20 prettyrose bibijay123 oyindawealth maltaleeza bakeuhappy supizino queenitee honourable356 debbycreamy dabila olufemiwhit kimkardashian Kimberly west iamloyalty countrygirl ayoshewa donteanz smokeydrinky chisiudeh dupsai sirgoldejike vincad skillful01 captainpower sikells castleberry maryclaire1 modik rhayne kunbeex princessadeola soulminister heemah osch10 Nmaglit forzarush sofiaamrozia misselocon jazmiynne mobecs damselbae igyeseh nanadeeva01 tolezy001 eitsei raintaker slimberry123 segibambo ladysunshine94 khennykhay rchilee dimssy boderline politicalthug Rodriguez12 prisivileth pweetywizzy charytea laraemi emzyme tillaman niwdog jekonmor officialflex bleeze2 cjizzy citygold121 aminatope247 jaesharp emmyn donnad diegonakel ogmeekzy07 hardeybay princesam10 bleeze2 cruzyteekay freshestmanny oluwaemmanuel sleekhoyen sexyolori pinkfeet ayodijex cyber5 succyblinks jupitre cindymorgan shurley22 ayodijex damibiz criis costal alamiendagash jide219 switkera renybenks osmon1996 queendd oroolorun shawdey tlordz toyin223 funnyfun precial419 boldndbeautiful tenniebae mightyfortress rosalieene nawtielizzie yourradiance tzminaj adeculate creeza go4success swankmee marvwhite aka sherlock Holmes
Dominicnuel skeetz gallantemory senatorpope holar1993 clemsworld donkelz beetunez44 myself2 ironlion1 blendmanuel mrsochy patjane seven jasmine2013 dreyman21 lyrink matherson tuba69 heeyhun sistaj komforth sowole007 dztzl johngainsville deadrat gmekx stainless239 queensiju niphmmy subtlemee in4matic ephay mzztega ayomicome kingsamm anaselizzy elvisojugo erudite202 korinnesta ebydarling bossy512 wapapod light4life chommieblaq dinabella surddick Godsmileforever officialbazor bibi294 Queen golden tenderblaze areros honeydawealth shotunz mariinee kukoyi larride oluwabuqqyyolo gabsi422 pinkberry5 zaheertyler hantonia jagugu88li oscardafuscar heymorse spdazzy omorlehwah itxayce kpagogin missnande chimeluv mrintegrity247 sussybae theabider bigbauer neenie phayth tife101 biggietreasures emmy091 queenjuli barag connkg emmydan hottadiva kinah favouritetega osch10 queen494 civilizedtyger sleepingqueen25 itsjezzy sheycrown dupsai yaronjos heirapparent cruzyteejay jaybee96 mrgudmood amikeem horlorlardaey kemam sexyfire911 kikiwendy neurojosh erock247 teekaycarter moonnstar negudugrace rayvelez xlozer timmyshot gamesound shekinah190 waacut elshberry bammylee002 iamdaquin01 bestie93 crislyn spiceybae holuwaphlexy gr8skillz virtuedagirl lildiamond seunnla cerowo kingsuave medrehab roastedcorn yemsy13865 snowboi360 hormobolanle jeedope hobbyheart mhizfavour juniho77 johncasey1 moyenii chinedubrazil sapy apostolate kendrickmykell slayer2 cindy1000 cbella brohimot royh mhizclair bankiev anneboyo2 lizzyparx lorlahlizzy dotwillis1 omomifamily patotelli thiannah observer3 mexzzy47 nikz marvin902 helenbee mhizterauto kayceerilyn iwakacome twinkle004 centitan kajsa08 babeflenz nickibeauty chillgist iralife tjpromise mancrimes oluwafeolami do4luv cynicgod queendaisy smartgenius10 kingphillip inkdbetty ksslib hidhris gracito smileing trggasg geektrovert matrycx osedagal qasar4life peppirina jey4all boywest1 drachel1993 folake25 lugar14 iheyhun connoisseur selimdeon kasey18 chigold121 erudite202 kayus621 kerr9 geosilye iamlynn lordshola billirayz augustinesilva ceecane2 hardeydun schlastica16 julietbae adfijem aries26 olueaseun15 dreyman21 virtueblazer harkinlowyeh gracyblaze donblzer10 ayokunmi24 mhizsuccess veevean0 amanda24 chinachris chara019 mexzzy47 chemicalreaction herosakin777 emerortj93 elshberry tomzz gotios latbons nerdychukz tijehi chigold121 mzposhberry90 tuhndhay brendy01 danyceo trendytessy hobbyheart lecdope okeyben10 itsandi jtofineme tripplexon biggysmolz oluwasheenah awalat172 steediamond antonineutron classicladyk moseph arabaribiti chiexcel retake89 authorityspeaks bensam2040 sleekhoyeen ultimategeneral officialflex stainlexxx tobymoore go4success kingzero lordpeckxy chinacriss ikechizoba obicoolnino fadahunsilegend seteejax optizzycute teebilion dammypat olori1992 ladybandie sussybae incredible2017 mickeyjaggers40 labelle123 akiewillis bidemmy4real kayjay007 sleemon chitheo smartaphyl joshnes badohemmy oluwakemi65 arinzevictor illicitblood arrestdarrester chuks000 mitchelljnr bishop818 ladyhal1 hilariousthiago aseke1 coolie1 ekopsparoayara ebonyqueen001 kingso23 solomonbrown64 whocarex clint237 lorlahlizzy engracedmay jennymaryjane01 kunleseshan enekwesylvia auric Emerich smartaphy1 dondemex nuelzy charminee epbere21 opeade939 agbenuanna obezeeco seanwilliam mazimee dohyinsolah ladeturner69 marychommy provabz renybenks horladstar blessgj olalekank lilymax vicoch agp19 jchemmy1 5iecreepy ochyglowsglows jadedgrace98 paqman shadow melodydennis yemike nittroboy ahmedbanj phemorison hazardman omnisparrow trebron damon147 jchemy1 fameg helenbee dreofGod tdyke4 gabi98 uchman48 jiikye1 genius43 mizsylviah bimsee jasonex4 obedugo seanatist anthcunny hawlascho kunmisola majole austinsamekpo pratiba phemochee marvin902 magicmeemee jacoik stephmiracle odyx blackel trendymiss johnsown1

2 Likes

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:55pm On Jul 04, 2018
CHAPTER 1

Call it the work of the devil. Or some demon. Or any evil being, maybe a messenger from hell. I might not argue with you. I have no strength left for that. Moreover, I have got no proper understanding of all that happened and how they did happen. The motive. The progressions of events that led me to where I found myself now and all of that.

It is one thing to be a part of an event and another to lack proper explanation about it. Who would have been the best person to explain an event if not one that was involved in it? I was not just involved, I was the main character at the center of it all. I was not a spectator, I was at the middle of it.

As I sat in the prison, at one corner, I began to weep again. I am a man for crying out loud. I had lived most of my life without tears. I grew up with the notion that men don't shed tears. It was my grandpa that put such notion into me. Even though I had spent most of my pre- teen and early teen years with him and grew fond of him, yet when he died, I did not shed any tears. Not a single drop of tear left my eyes. I was so terrified about his death, for I seemed to know him closely. I got scared of dying. Yet I was more scared of something else- of failing to heed to his words at his death. I was scared of crying when he died. That was what he taught me. I stuck to it when he was alive. I must still do while he is no more. My respect for him should not exist only in his presence, it must also in his absence, I had thought.

But here I am in this shit hole of a prison failing him again and again. And that hurted me more. But with the crime I had committed that had put me in here, I could not help but weep. It would not be human if I didn't cry. It would be evil- a deep one. And I would be so scared of myself.

My fears had increased. I no longer had one fear. As we grow into adults and begin to experience life, we also grow in fears. Our fears increase. I no longer have the fear of disappointing grandpa about shedding tears. I have now the fear of loosing my humanity. I feel something or someone strange has been influencing me and I feel I am so loosing myself. But my tears reminded me that I was still human. There was something human about me. I might have done a very vile thing but then I still have a conscience that can be touched. That can get watery. That can rain down my face as tears. Genuine tears.

And so I let the rain fall more. More tears. More. Let me feel my humanity again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:58pm On Jul 04, 2018
CHAPTER 2

I am Linus Daki. I am here in this prison, sorrowing alone without any friend or relative visiting me because I hurt the people that really matter. And I did something that was so wrong.

I had developed a poor value system. I had misplaced my priorities. And I had made the major things the minor ones, and the minor ones the major ones.

I had placed my need for money above my need for humans. My value for the naira above human life. And I have acted on this misplaced value system and the arm of nemesis had caught up with me.

My cousin, Regina was one of those beautiful women with inadequate domestic training and skills. I would not really blame her. I would blame her parents- my uncle John; who was my father's immediate elder brother and his wife Joanna. It was their fault. They made Regina who she turned out to be.

Regina was the only daughter of the Johns. They had had six boys and was so longing for a girl child. After some years, after they had thought they would just have their last child and stop child bearing and enjoy the genders the Creator had given them, Regina was born. Celebrations filled the whole place. There was joy and much happiness.

As she grew, her siblings noticed the special treatment her parents were giving to her and it made them feel bad. She was not allowed to do anything at home. She was treated like a princess until she became a spoilt princess.

She could not cook, wash, clean or keep the home. Her brothers did all these and when they began to complain bitterly, a maid was hired to do the work.

After much selections and useless 'iyanga', she finally picked one man to marry and she made sure, she had her way. He was a handsome young man who was trying to stand properly on his feet, but it never mattered. They exploited him because of the love he had for her. They took advantage of him and made him pay so much to have her as his wife.

After their wedding, his attitude changed somehow as soon as he saw his wife for who she was. Stubborn. Hard. Over pampered. Greedy. Lazy. Untrained. Proud. Never apologizing for anything even if she was wrong. And always comparing him with other men.

He couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't put up with her attitudes after they had their first child- Princess. He got tired of always apologizing whenever they had issues. They had a fight and she angrily left her matrimonial home with their daughter when her husband had left for work. She just took few of her things and the baby and left.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:59pm On Jul 04, 2018
CHAPTER 3

Days turned to weeks and then few months. Three months. Then four months. Mr. Dan had called and tried all to get his wife and baby back home but failed.

Her parents would not let it. She talked them into believing her but her siblings knew better. They understood their in- law. They understood what had happened. They knew she was at fault. They knew the kind of man that he was and the kind of sister that they had.

She stayed at her parent's home, lazying around. Doing nothing. Staying at home. Watching movies. And 'slaying'.

But things soon changed faster and suddenly, far from what she had anticipated. Her parent's suddenly got tired of her and asked her to humble herself and plead with her husband since the man had stopped calling and asking about her.

It seemed as if he had forgotten that she existed. His persistent calls and pleas were feeding her ego. She rode on them and felt good not knowing that they would stop coming. And when they did, she began to complain to her parents of how heartless her husband was. And of how they gave her to such a hardened man to have her as his wife.

They got annoyed and gave her the bitter pill of truth and she felt so bad. They wanted her to go fix her marriage and focus on her home instead of abandoning her husband and home.

She would not take it. She felt bad and betrayed. She was stubborn. Begging was not her thing. Pleading wasn't. Apologizing wasn't. It never was and would no start to be. She thought of leaving her parent's home but not returning to her husband's house.

She decided to keep her plans to herself and then chose to call me. She said she needed a job. She didn't tell me all that had happened but I had got to know. She made up her story. She had told me what she wanted me to hear.

I felt it was an opportunity and I asked her to come down to Portharcout. There was a job, I had told her, a new company was recruiting. She obliged to come to Portharcourt.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 9:01pm On Jul 04, 2018
CHAPTER 4

At the period in time, I was beginning to have some kind of people around me. I began hanging with them. It was as if some devil kept bringing such fellows my way.

They talked rich. Lived rich. Dressed rich. Lived in nice houses. Drove expensive and fancy cars. But they were not clean. They got money through unclean means. I knew. They told me but I still stayed. They were into various crimes. Kidnappings. Child trafficking. Sexual trafficking. Running brothels and drug centers.

I knew they were bad guys but I remained with them. I wanted what they had. I getter getter wanted the life they had. The houses. The ladies. The cars. The wears. The reps. The accolades they get in public events.

I told myself that I was going to be careful. I was going to be clean. And not get stained or defiled. But clean. I told myself that my evil company would not corrupt my morals. I told myself several things. At first, I didn't believe them but as time went I began to.

I needed these thoughts to stay through. But I was wrong. I knew I was but I refused to agree to that. I fought it till I laid it to rest.

As soon as Regina and his now two year old daughter came to Portharcourt, a deal came up. A dirty one. A deal that would initiate me into the 'club'. A test deal. Something to use to check if I had anything beyond just talks. To check if I had guts. Guts to take such risks.

Making money was risky, they would always say. If one is scared, he would remain poor. I had been poor for long. I wanted out. Out of poverty. In. Into wealth. A good life. A rich life. A millionaire's life. A multi millionaire.

A woman, a wealthy one wanted a girl child. I was informed of this deal. And it came in not few days before Regina came into town. And it was offered to me to pull it through. It was as if they knew what was going on. As if they knew about Regina and her baby.

I decided to go for it. But I had other plans. A different plan, a rescue plan. A plan that would make me gain doubly.

I would deliver the child, get paid and before then, hire and position some guys to waylay the vehicle transporting the 'buyer' and Regina's daughter and get the girl picked up and returned back. Then I would send them back- Regina and her child with some made up stories.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 9:25am On Jul 05, 2018
CHAPTER 5

I got some money after I had declared my intention to run the deal. I had to make proper preparations. I had to make wise one. Unsuspecting ones. Innocent looking ones.

I got Regina and her daughter lodged in a hotel and ensured they were alright. I told her that my place was not going to to conducive for them when she asked. I told her that I had my guys staying with me. And that it would not be alright to let her stay with us. That a hotel was going to be better.

She agreed. Maybe because she believed me. Maybe more because, she felt she was as getting first class treatment. Some 'I am important' feeling because of my treatment. She was used to an easy life. A life where she gets worshipped. So, the hotel idea went well with her.

I ensured I visited often in the evenings. I would come with bread, soft drinks, juice and some gifts for her and her baby. Suya and more.

With time, the little girl fell in love with me- uncle Linus. She began to anticipate my coming. It was easy. I was always buying her things, her favorite biscuits, toys. And other things. She grew fond of me. Gifts are magical. It was strategic. I needed to win her over. It would make it easy.

Her mom after a week or so began to get worried unlike her. She was so used to not asking questions as far as she was comfortable. She was used to eating and enjoying and doing nothing. She was used to a lazy life. She began to worry me. "Linus, how far with the job nau?

"It will soon be ready. I spoke with the boss and she told me to give her this week and she assured me of your employment "

"I thought the job was ready before you asked me to come"

"Ready? Job ready and waiting for someone? In this Nigeria? Ah! It never happens. But don't worry. This one is a sure one. The boss was even asking of meeting with you. I will call to fix a time for you both"

"Wow! That would be nice. Its alright. Thank you so much for all your help. I appreciate"

"Its nothing. We owe it to help each other", I replied.

2 Likes

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 9:27am On Jul 05, 2018
CHAPTER 6

I spoke with one of the guys behind the deal of what might be needed to have a clean deal- one without any suspicion. I told him of what I had in mind. The plans. The strategies. He agreed to provide all that was needed.

I got a meeting fixed between the woman in need of the child and my cousin. I never asked why she needed a child. I only heard that she was the wife of one of the chieftains in one of the political parties. And that she had no child. And could not conceive. And all the other blah blah blah.

We got her informed of our plans. The job strategy. She was going to act as the so called boss that would be recruiting Regina and all that. We got an I.D card designed for her and gave her the words to say and did all the other logistics.

The meeting was held at one of the popular eateries. That one too was intentional. An eatery is a neutral location. It is not the company's location. We didn't want to have an address for the company. We created a scene that looked like she just went for lunch break and in that period fixed a meeting with Regina.

This was strategic. It would look like a very rare polite act displayed towards Regina. That her soon to be boss, a wealthy looking woman with a very busy schedule, squeezed out time, sacrificed her lunch break that she would have used to eat and relax to meet with Regina.

I explained everything to Regina. She felt grateful and privileged for her so called soon to be boss's sacrifice and 'behaved herself', asking no unreasonable question or any to raise up dust. I also told her to come with her baby as it would help in making things straight. At least, her soon to be boss will know that she is a mother and has a young baby girl. That it might soften her heart to really employ her as she would not expect her to not take care of her baby. She agreed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by olumose001(m): 11:55am On Jul 05, 2018
Nice story
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 1:58pm On Jul 05, 2018
olumose001:
Nice story
Thanks a lot
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2018
CHAPTER 7

The meeting went well and short. Yes, short. It was planned that way. It was lunch break. And lunch breaks are not usually long. Moreover, it was supposed to be short to give Regina the impression that her so called soon to be boss was really a busy woman.

After the meeting, Regina called me and gisted me everything. She was laughing. She was emotional. She was excited. She said she liked the woman. She said the woman liked her daughter, Princess. And told her that she would like to see her again. She told me that Princess felt strangely agitated around the woman which surprised her but that it was nothing. That it was typical especially when we meet new people.

After the call, I meet with the woman and did further planning. We talked. She said she had seen the child. That she liked her. That Princess was cute. That she was so eager to have her and take care of her. She got emotional and started crying. I tried to console her.

Afterwards, I asked her about the financial side of the deal. She said, she was supposed to make a seven million naira payment. I mentally let my mouth fall. I was shocked. I got so carried away. The greed in me rose like a storm and I forgot everything. I forgot that I was about to give out my relative to a stranger for money. I forgot for a moment that I was supposed to strengthen my other plan to get her back.

After we finished, she gave me ten thousand naira cash and transferred fifty thousand naira into my account on the spot and said that she would make the payment as soon as she is required to. We parted ways and left.

I visited Regina and Princess as usual around 7pm and stayed with them for close to an hour and had to leave. I offered one excuse. But what I had in mind was to make plans for getting Princess back. I needed to meet with some guys. Guys that would handle that side of the plan. Talk of the payment. Inform them of the possible route of transportation and all that.

I made some calls and later went to meet some guys. We decided on what needed to be done and talked of the payment. They just needed two hundred thousand naira. It was a soft deal. They needed not to worry about gun shots. The vehicle that would transport the woman and Princess would look so innocent without any suspicion.

After the meeting, I retired home to think properly on how to move out Princess without the Mom suspecting. I would not want her to suspect me in any way. And as I thought, an idea struck me. And I knew that was game.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by OlufemiWhit(m): 4:47pm On Jul 05, 2018
Got your invite sir......good start
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:32pm On Jul 05, 2018
OlufemiWhit:
Got your invite sir......good start
Thanks man..
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:32am On Jul 06, 2018
CHAPTER 8

I worked on my idea, thought further about it and fantacized about the seven million naira. I knew that all would not enter my hand. I was not the source of the deal. I did not bring it up. I did not source the 'client'- the madam in need of a girl child. It was just a sublet.

I felt that no matter what, at least fifty percent of the funds would get to me. I would be a millionaire in few days. I would pull out of this prison of poverty and lack. I would be able to afford what I need and provide for myself and family- my parents especially.

I slept off with these thoughts and had a dream. In that dream, I was standing at the top of a hill- a cliff. And I was with someone that I knew. I could not place the person's face nor the voice or even the name. But somewhere inside of me, I knew that I knew the person.

We were just talking. What we were talking about, I couldn't remember and then suddenly, he pushed me down the cliff and I feel with a shout and woke up. I felt the dream was just one of those good for nothing dreams that are designed to scare us. So, I dismissed it and went back to sleep. I remembered I had another dream but I could not remember it when I woke up.

I made sure my arrangements was tight and clean. I was to visit Regina and Princess later that evening. It was the night of the main event. The night to separate the daughter from her mother. I had a plan. Drug Regina and move Princess out with an excuse that her mommy is sleeping.

I also got the guys that were to rescue Princess ready. I had transferred a hundred thousand naira into their account as part payment to motivate them to work. The remaining one hundred thousand was to be paid as soon as they got Princess back safely.

I arrived at the hotel and spoke to one of the bar men. I had got a pack of Hollandia Yoghurt which I had discovered was Regina's favorite drink. Also one that she would not let her daughter Princess to take I would not want both mother and daughter to be drugged. My conscience with the little light it had in it would not. I did not want Princess to be under any such effect.

I had injected the drug through its cap delicately. And I got it delivered to the bar man. I had him mark that one out. I would not want him to mix it up with others. I would want him to come with them when I call for them.

As soon as I entered their room, Princess ran to me and hugged me. I kissed her forehead and carried her up. Her mom emerged. She was a beautiful woman but the blood relationship that we had, I thought, had become my only hindrance in allowing and developing any feelings for her.

"How are you Gina?", I asked

"I'm alright. How about you?"

"Good. Guess what?"

"What?"

"Just guess"

"You know I am not good in guessing"

"At least try"

"Okay. You met a girl"

"See you. Olodo"

She just laughed.

"Your boss told me you would be starting up work on Monday"

"What?" She exclaimed. She was so excited and she was high spirited.

I let her do her thing. She danced. After a while, she calmed down. "Thank you so much Linus. Thank you"

'You are welcome. We have to drink to this". I added

"Sure"

I pulled out my phone and called the bar man and he picked. I told him to come with Hollandia Yoghurt and my two cans of Gulder and a small pack of Caprison for Princess. In few minutes, he arrived and also came with a glass cup for Regina to use for her Yoghurt drink.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:33am On Jul 06, 2018
CHAPTER 9

As soon as the bar man knocked on the door, I called out, "who is that?". He answered, " its me. The bar man. You made an order"

I walked up to the door and opened it and collected the tray with the drinks and the glass cup. And dismissed him. There was no need for food. Meat too.

I was getting apprehensive. Somehow, I was hoping that Regina would not suspect anything or feel that something wrong was about to happen. I wanted to go undetected. She must not know my moves.

I opened up the Hollandia Yoghurt for her to pour it into the glass cup but she suddenly let out a sound. It was like she was feeling pain or something. It was a cry of pain.

"What is it? Are you alright?", I asked.

After few seconds, she responsed, "I just felt a sharp pain. It was just sudden. But I will be fine"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I will just lie down for a while"

"OK. Sorry. Maybe I should get you some medications"

"You don't need to. It will go"

I wanted to insist but decided against that. I felt it would put something across. Something to make her think that I had something up my sleeves. Something that would help serve as a pointer when the story of what happens unfolds. Soi let it go.

I opened Princess's own and gave her while carrying her on my lap and opened my canned Gulder too to drink. I finished up the first can and kept checking up on her in between.

I knew that she was in a weakened state and wanted to use it. I knew it was bad to rob someone that is in his or her weak state. I knew but it was like a chance. A good chance. It was not a considerate and human thing to do. But I had to. I had to rob this weak and almost sick woman of her daughter.

I told her that I needed to make some calls and would like to get airtime at the reception. I told her that I would like to go with Princess do that she could rest since she was not feeling fine. It was the right and common and sense thing to do. She agreed but told me, unlike her, for this is not the first time I had gone out with Princess, "please keep her safe and be back soon"

And when she that Princess was looking at her, she said, "sweetie, mommy is not feeling fine but she will be okay when you come back". The child nodded.

I left and kept walking and going till I discovered that I would not turn back. This was my chance to disappear with the baby for a while and I was taking it. I left the hotel. And was no more.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by aries26(m): 8:49pm On Jul 06, 2018
Nice story.
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by paqman: 5:31am On Jul 07, 2018
Gat yah invitation keep it coming and what a nice story i must say
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:31am On Jul 07, 2018
aries26:
Nice story.
Thank you
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:31am On Jul 07, 2018
paqman:
Gat yah invitation keep it coming and what a nice story i must say
Thanks man...I appreciate
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 8:48am On Jul 07, 2018
CHAPTER 10

As soon as I had left the hotel's premises, I noticed that Princess was sleepy.

In her sleepy state, she asked, "Where is mommy?"

"Mommy is not feeling fine and she needs to rest"

"Where are we going to uncle Linus?"

Another question? Oh God, I just needed her to be quiet now. If she keeps asking these questions, I would not find it easy going through with my plans. But somehow, I was OK that she was about to sleep. I had thought of drugging her to sleep like I had intended for her mom, but I decided against it. I couldn't pull through with that thought. It will kill my heart. I knew I was doing what was wrong. But there are certain extents that I could only go. And nothing beyond such points.

"Sleep Princess. We are going to see mommy's friend and buy medicine for mommy to take to get well"

I was expecting her to say "alright". Well, I didn't get that. She was snoring away already. That was good. I needed her to be quiet to do this work. And thankfully, I just got that now without having done anything against my conscience to make that happen.

As I walked, I felt strange. I felt that something bad was going to happen. I felt there was going to be a problem somewhere. I checked up the plans, they seemed perfect and intact. There seemed to be no loose end. And yet if any end needed to be checked, it would be the end regarding Princess's rescue.

And so, I picked up my phone and called. After the first ring, there was no answer. I called again. Same thing. I began to sweat. To get agitated somehow. I needed to calm down.

Few minutes, say three minutes, a call came in. It was the number I had called. I picked up immediately.

"Hello..I had been calling.."

"Sorry, I had an issue with my phone. The phone's screen was acting up. I could not pick the call by swiping the screen. But its alright now"

"Should I be worried about that?"

"Not at all boss man. We good"

I breathed deep, "You guys are ready right?"

"Sure"

"The package is with me. On my on way to deliver her. Be ready, I will notify you as soon as they begin to move"

"Alright boss"

I hung up and waved down a cab and told him where I was heading to and he drove off.

Few minutes, we got to the junction. I alighted and paid the cab man and walked towards the gate. I pressed the bell at the gate. The security man opened the little window like opening on the gate, and saw my face then he proceeded to let me in.

As I walked in, I could see the cars. There were about four cars. Two were jeeps- Mercedes Benz jeeps. A Toyota Camry and a Mercedes Benz 4matic.

I walked in with Princess, still sleeping. She is a heavy sleeper like her mom.

2 Likes

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 10:26am On Jul 07, 2018
CHAPTER 11

Few days after the operations, I got to know what really happened after I had left drinking. The news of what happened had sent me to the bottle. I was down. So down. And frustrated and my conscience would not let me be. I could not bear it.

Sometimes, I would lock myself up and drink to stupor. It was better since I would easily fall asleep in my house and not wander around the street and getting carried home.

Princess is yet to be recovered. That is what had been killing me. They couldn't recover her. It pained me. I could not forgive myself. I still haven't and I don't think I ever will.

The guys that I had paid to do the recovery were arrested. How they got to be arrested, I can't tell and I don't know. Who informed the police of our arrangements, I also can't tell. I don't know who.

The major issue was that the vehicle that transported the politician's wife took the normal agreed upon route while the one that transported Princess took another- a route I had no knowledge of. We never discussed on this. It was not talked about. The original plan was that both would be in the same vehicle and then conveyed along the agreed route.

The guys who were to do the recovery had waited and tailed the vehicle carefully and from a distance until they got to the place where they felt it was best to launch out. They didn't suspect anything. They didn't even ask themselves why the vehicle slowed down and allowed them to catch up with them.

When they finally did, it was only the madam and two of the 'club' guys that they saw in the vehicle, and these guys were armed and they subdued the guys I paid to rescue Princess. I didn't expect the 'club' guys to be in the vehicle with her. I didn't expect weapons.

The next thing was them finding themselves in a police station. It was a powerful hand that did that. They let the police men 'massage' them and they confessed that I was behind the operations. But the story that later came out was different.

It was not what I had thought. I never knew it would come to this point. I never envisaged it. The police said I was the one that sponsored the guys to kidnap the politician's wife. That it was a kidnap operation. Kidnap gone wrong.

This was how they left what was the real issue and made another. I knew this was a distraction. And I wrongly fell for it. I knew that the men of the 'club' were behind this. It was a setup. It was a betrayal. It was greed. They were willing to sell me out to look clean. They were willing to sell me out to have everything to themselves.

These are stinkingly rich men. Seven million naira was nothing major to them. Why they did this, I did not know. Their motive.

I tried to protest and tell the police what the real issue was. But they ignored me. They ignored my story. They laughed it off. They were paid to do that.

I had seen that they were out to destroy me- I mean the 'club', and I decided that I was not going to fall alone. I was not going to go down alone. I was no longer going to keep them secret and protect them. I was going to spill everything out. Say everything and leave none even the part I played. Saving Princess was a priority. My priority and I was willing to pay whatever it would cost to do that.

When they saw that a police officer that had a private investigation unit was picking interest in the case(he was newly transferred to the station), they took a turn. They threatened me. They told me to agree to the kidnapping operations and them let the case die. That they would make the case die, one of the men of the 'club' told me and that they would bail me out in as much as I keep shut on the case regarding the missing of Princess.

I did not agree at first. But I thought about it. I thought well and long and after a while, I decided to allow them bail me out. What use would I be in trying to get back Princess if I stay back under police custody? What use? How would I find her staying behind bars? So I opted for their offer.

Getting back Princess was a priority and I would sacrifice for it. Agreeing to a crime I did not commit was not a big deal in as much as it would let me out to look for Princess. It meant nothing to me. I needed to pay the price, whatever price to rectify my mistake. To undo my wrong.

And so, I was bailed and let out.

2 Likes

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 10:32am On Jul 07, 2018
Hello...I might have to stop writing and posting this story. I seem to have exhausted my personal encouragement to do that for many reasons. I have posted 11 chapters so far and I seem to post daily and do so with multiple chapters but I have not got up to 5 comments and the views are not even up to 270 at this point of writing.
I guess the story is not nice and interesting.. that could be why..so I guess I will just let it go..and stop writing and posting.
To all that have viewed and read and commented(thanks a lot)..so far..and liked and shared (I hail Oga Souloho..thanks man. you shared and liked)..thanks again..
If I find any better encouragement from peeps, I might proceed..if not...we gotta call it a day..guys..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by ahmedbanj(m): 1:08pm On Jul 07, 2018
thumbs up! thanks 4 d mention... *following*
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 07, 2018
This work will come in short chapters but will be COMPLETED fast.

Let's move the invitation cards..

Samexdx stephengee12 hadampson dview001 rachealfst alarmednigerian vakjay08 meneski yommy20 prettyrose bibijay123 oyindawealth maltaleeza bakeuhappy supizino queenitee honourable356 debbycreamy dabila olufemiwhit kimkardashian Kimberly west iamloyalty countrygirl ayoshewa donteanz smokeydrinky chisiudeh dupsai sirgoldejike vincad skillful01 captainpower sikells castleberry maryclaire1 modik rhayne kunbeex princessadeola soulminister heemah osch10 Nmaglit forzarush sofiaamrozia misselocon jazmiynne mobecs damselbae igyeseh nanadeeva01 tolezy001 eitsei raintaker slimberry123 segibambo ladysunshine94 khennykhay rchilee dimssy boderline politicalthug Rodriguez12 prisivileth pweetywizzy charytea laraemi emzyme tillaman niwdog jekonmor officialflex bleeze2 cjizzy citygold121 aminatope247 jaesharp emmyn donnad diegonakel ogmeekzy07 hardeybay princesam10 bleeze2 cruzyteekay freshestmanny oluwaemmanuel sleekhoyen sexyolori pinkfeet ayodijex cyber5 succyblinks jupitre cindymorgan shurley22 ayodijex damibiz criis costal alamiendagash jide219 switkera renybenks osmon1996 queendd oroolorun shawdey tlordz toyin223 funnyfun precial419 boldndbeautiful tenniebae mightyfortress rosalieene nawtielizzie yourradiance tzminaj adeculate creeza go4success swankmee marvwhite aka sherlock Holmes
Dominicnuel skeetz gallantemory senatorpope holar1993 clemsworld donkelz beetunez44 myself2 ironlion1 blendmanuel mrsochy patjane seven jasmine2013 dreyman21 lyrink matherson tuba69 heeyhun sistaj komforth sowole007 dztzl johngainsville deadrat gmekx stainless239 queensiju niphmmy subtlemee in4matic ephay mzztega ayomicome kingsamm anaselizzy elvisojugo erudite202 korinnesta ebydarling bossy512 wapapod light4life chommieblaq dinabella surddick Godsmileforever officialbazor bibi294 Queen golden tenderblaze areros honeydawealth shotunz mariinee kukoyi larride oluwabuqqyyolo gabsi422 pinkberry5 zaheertyler hantonia jagugu88li oscardafuscar heymorse spdazzy omorlehwah itxayce kpagogin missnande chimeluv mrintegrity247 sussybae theabider bigbauer neenie phayth tife101 biggietreasures emmy091 queenjuli barag connkg emmydan hottadiva kinah favouritetega osch10 queen494 civilizedtyger sleepingqueen25 itsjezzy sheycrown dupsai yaronjos heirapparent cruzyteejay jaybee96 mrgudmood amikeem horlorlardaey kemam sexyfire911 kikiwendy neurojosh erock247 teekaycarter moonnstar negudugrace rayvelez xlozer timmyshot gamesound shekinah190 waacut elshberry bammylee002 iamdaquin01 bestie93 crislyn spiceybae holuwaphlexy gr8skillz virtuedagirl lildiamond seunnla cerowo kingsuave medrehab roastedcorn yemsy13865 snowboi360 hormobolanle jeedope hobbyheart mhizfavour juniho77 johncasey1 moyenii chinedubrazil sapy apostolate kendrickmykell slayer2 cindy1000 cbella brohimot royh mhizclair bankiev anneboyo2 lizzyparx lorlahlizzy dotwillis1 omomifamily patotelli thiannah observer3 mexzzy47 nikz marvin902 helenbee mhizterauto kayceerilyn iwakacome twinkle004 centitan kajsa08 babeflenz nickibeauty chillgist iralife tjpromise mancrimes oluwafeolami do4luv cynicgod queendaisy smartgenius10 kingphillip inkdbetty ksslib hidhris gracito smileing trggasg geektrovert matrycx osedagal qasar4life peppirina jey4all boywest1 drachel1993 folake25 lugar14 iheyhun connoisseur selimdeon kasey18 chigold121 erudite202 kayus621 kerr9 geosilye iamlynn lordshola billirayz augustinesilva ceecane2 hardeydun schlastica16 julietbae adfijem aries26 olueaseun15 dreyman21 virtueblazer harkinlowyeh gracyblaze donblzer10 ayokunmi24 mhizsuccess veevean0 amanda24 chinachris chara019 mexzzy47 chemicalreaction herosakin777 emerortj93 elshberry tomzz gotios latbons nerdychukz tijehi chigold121 mzposhberry90 tuhndhay brendy01 danyceo trendytessy hobbyheart lecdope okeyben10 itsandi jtofineme tripplexon biggysmolz oluwasheenah awalat172 steediamond antonineutron classicladyk moseph arabaribiti chiexcel retake89 authorityspeaks bensam2040 sleekhoyeen ultimategeneral officialflex stainlexxx tobymoore go4success kingzero lordpeckxy chinacriss ikechizoba obicoolnino fadahunsilegend seteejax optizzycute teebilion dammypat olori1992 ladybandie sussybae incredible2017 mickeyjaggers40 labelle123 akiewillis bidemmy4real kayjay007 sleemon chitheo smartaphyl joshnes badohemmy oluwakemi65 arinzevictor illicitblood arrestdarrester chuks000 mitchelljnr bishop818 ladyhal1 hilariousthiago aseke1 coolie1 ekopsparoayara ebonyqueen001 kingso23 solomonbrown64 whocarex clint237 lorlahlizzy engracedmay jennymaryjane01 kunleseshan enekwesylvia auric Emerich smartaphy1 dondemex nuelzy charminee epbere21 opeade939 agbenuanna obezeeco seanwilliam mazimee dohyinsolah ladeturner69 marychommy provabz renybenks horladstar blessgj olalekank lilymax vicoch agp19 jchemmy1 5iecreepy ochyglowsglows jadedgrace98 paqman shadow melodydennis yemike nittroboy ahmedbanj phemorison hazardman omnisparrow trebron damon147 jchemy1 fameg helenbee dreofGod tdyke4 gabi98 uchman48 jiikye1 genius43 mizsylviah bimsee jasonex4 obedugo seanatist anthcunny hawlascho kunmisola majole austinsamekpo pratiba phemochee marvin902 magicmeemee jacoik stephmiracle odyx blackel trendymiss johnsown1
I'm here ooo
Where's the pop corn and cold zobo cheesy
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 07, 2018
Nice story, pls don't stop oh. Don't mind us ; ghost readers
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Nobody: 5:47am On Jul 08, 2018
please don't stop, ghost mode deactivated.
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by sussybae(f): 7:21pm On Jul 10, 2018
don't stop we are here
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Oroolorun(m): 6:46am On Jul 13, 2018
Ogbeni, you better continue now before wetin sele for year 1918 con sele for 2018 again o.
Well done Oga, you are doing a great job. Nothing must happen to that little girl o.
Sorry for my coming late, na traffic cause am. Oya continue o.
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by just2day: 4:38pm On Jul 13, 2018
As much as I find Linus' drive in committing the kidnapping appalling, I can't help but feel pity for the hand he was dealt. Interesting read
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by ceecane2(m): 1:55pm On Jul 15, 2018
Jst saw d mention, read d story nd am loving wat am reading. Dnt stop pls. Its captivating
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by donblazer10(m): 7:48pm On Jul 15, 2018
Don't stop

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why You Shouldn't Wait To Be Inspired Before Writing / MARY EHIABHI: How To Make Six Figure Monthly Income With Peace Of Mind (EBOOK) / Page 3 Girls In The Sun Newspaper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.