Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode (7450 Views)

Pregnant For The Devil - A Romantic Novel (18+) / The Devil In The Suit / The Handsome Devil I Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by LazyNairalander(m): 7:09am On Jul 16, 2018
This is lovely. Continue please and check my SIGNATURE
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by SheikhMuniru(m): 7:13am On Jul 16, 2018
WHAT'S DIS ONE SAYING?? ?
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by samkpanam: 8:37am On Jul 16, 2018
Continuity is required ooo,carry on
Nice story but mention me next time oo
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Richimills(m): 8:47am On Jul 16, 2018
I have been an advent reader of your story. please continue.Mention me next
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Geophilip: 8:48am On Jul 16, 2018
oga writer please carry-on am really enjoying this story oh. every chapter of it had been interesting
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 16, 2018
Oh sorry oo....pls take some multivitamin and be motivated
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Smazlexander: 10:07am On Jul 16, 2018
Why Did You Stop? There Are People Following You And Stoppin Is Like A Selfish Decision
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by sotadegrt(m): 10:09am On Jul 16, 2018
Your story is on front page. Don't quit. Not now, not ever
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by CowHard: 12:44pm On Jul 16, 2018
Glad you considered me worthy of mention alongside other great writers of the Nairaland literature section.

Nice work dear....keep posting.

Comments will definitely come.
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 5:48pm On Jul 16, 2018
Thank you guys for your encouragements. I sincerely appreciate that.
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 5:49pm On Jul 16, 2018
CHAPTER 12

After I was out of the police station, I got to know that there was a plan by the guys of the 'club' to be eliminate me. They said I had rebelled and had gone rogue. That I has broken their code of operations because of my personal affiliation with the 'package'.

Rogue? That was a big word for me. But I understood what they meant. They simply meant that I was now a loose end, a threat to their smooth operations and hidings because I got personal about the victim. Why would I not? Was she not my cousin's daughter? It was a blood relationship. Who would not have gotten personal?

I knew I was on the bad end because even though she was my relative, I had wanted to trade her 'for a while'. And that made them feel that I was not worth trusting. That if I could do such to a relative- one related to me by blood, that it would not cost me much to betray them since I was offended at them and had known much about them already and had no blood relationship with them.

The information I had about them was going to endanger me. It is often said that knowledge makes one free but this knowledge (of them) that I had would put me in danger.

After I knew about the plan to silently eliminate me, I thought of running away and taking off. It would be the natural safe thing to do. But I decided against that. If I ran away, they would know that I knew what they knew. They would know that I knew that they were after my life and that would not go down well.

Most notably, they would send their force violently after me. It would be a chase and I would not be able to stand them.

Moreover, they might even use their money and power to put the police after me. It would seem like I actually did it and was trying to take the chance of my release to escape from the arm of the law.

In addition, running away after learning their plans would make it almost impossible for me to know how to locate Princess. They were the ones that did the deal and as supposed, they would have all the needed information on her whereabouts. I needed to be close to the information source.

After considering these two, I decided to stay back. I would act as if I knew nothing about their plans. I would act ignorant. I knew that knowledge is a weapon but concealing what you know about the plans and strategies of your enemies is another weapon. Secrecy has power. And so, I stayed and acted like everyone. I would not want to be suspected, it would expose my plan and ruin everything.

I blended in and got to prove again my loyalty and like magic, I was accepted again even though I knew that it was not like it was at first. The trust we now had was a questionable one. I knew some were pretending to have fully accepted me just as I also was pretending.

I made sure that I watched my back carefully and I did a thorough search and finally got to meet with a private investigator, the new guy that was transferred to the police station where I was detained. I noticed that he felt there was something fishy about the case and how it was handled and so, I felt he was good for me to confide in. And I did. Even though, I has made lots of bad and selfish decisions, this one turned out to be a good one.
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 5:55pm On Jul 16, 2018
CHAPTER 13

After the failed operations, I had stopped using my normal MTN line. I knew that Regina would be calling again and again. Not only that, the number would be given to the police to trace and locate me. So I stopped using it. I already had a lot to deal with. The guilt of what I did alone was so burdensome. The issue I was having- suspicion issue, with the 'club' was another. Having to keep my line open to get calls of all kinds relating to Princess's missing would make things worse. I needed to focus.

And so, I stayed for weeks without using it and getting any form of communication with my family members. I wanted to protect them. But I could not. I thought I was for a while until a message came to me.

Since the operations- my taking Princess away from her Mom, I had not visited the hotel where I had lodged them. I didn't want to be seen so soon. I knew the police would hang around for a while at the hotel, especially during the first few days after the incident. So, I stayed away. But then, the more I stayed away, the more I got increasingly curious to know what later happened.

What Regina did. Whether the police actually came. If my picture was hung at the hotel's reception. Whether the receptionist and other staff of the hotel were instructed by the police to call them as soon as they see me. Whether a reward was placed on my head for anyone who first alerted the police and therefore leading to me getting caught.

Two months later, I went to the hotel. I did some measure of disguising. For instance, I was more, if not always, given to dressing casually. Jeans. T-Shirts. Chinos. Blazers. But I dressed corporately in suit and tie.

On reaching there, I noticed that all my suspicions held no place. There was no tightened security. It was still as loose as it was the night I had taken Princess away. There was no picture of me hanging on the wall of the reception. If it was the former me, I would have felt bad. How could I have pulled such a stunt, such a crime and not get my picture hanging? Was it that it was not considered fit enough to be counted as crime? Was it that it lacked expertise or intelligence or what?

But the new me just didn't. I felt good that my picture wasn't displayed. I would not pride myself in such foolish publicity. I would not see such as a feat. I was interested in one thing- getting Princess back and anything that would not aid in that was considered a nuisance. Staying discreet was needed for me to get her back.

As I walked over to the receptionist's desk, he greeted me. I noticed he was not the receptionist I had met the last time. Then it was a lady. This one here was a young man who was rather too fit. He had some muscles and looked more like a gym instructor than a receptionist.

He flashed me a small smile, "Good morning sir", he greeted.

"Good morning too. How are you?"

"I'm alright. What can I do for you sir?"

I hesitated. I didn't prepare for this part. I didn't know I was going to approached the receptionist. I had just wanted to stay a little afar, maybe the bar, and just observe things. But my curiosity dragged me and kept dragging me.

And so I asked, "Is there any available room?"

"Sure sir. Do you have any in mind sir?"

"Is room 14 vacant?"

That was the room that I had lodged Regina and Princess in.

"Let me check"

He did for few seconds and replied, "it is available sir"

"Can I see it?"

"Of course sir"

He made a call that seemed like he needed another staff to cover for him for few minutes while he took me to see room 14. But I was wrong.

After the call, I followed him as he led the way. Nothing seemed out of place as far as I could tell and so I suspected nothing.

He inserted the key, turned it and pushed open the door and walked in, I followed him and immediately sensed some other persons inside the room and before I could turn, they pinned me down.
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 5:57pm On Jul 16, 2018
Richimills:
I have been an advent reader of your story. please continue.Mention me next
Thanks a lot Richimills..
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 5:09pm On Jul 17, 2018
CHAPTER 14

Before I could turn my head side ways and them upward to glance the faces of the men that had pushed and pinned me down, I got enraptured in darkness.

Even though it was during the morning hours, around 10am or so, it was still dark as far as I could see. The material from which the hood was made was so thick and felt dense and wet as though it had been soaked in water previously. The thickness made it difficult for me to catch any ray of light. Light could not penetrate it and so I was lost in darkness. A darkness they had created for me.

All that is needed to kill a man is darkness. Put him there and let it swallow him up.

My mind was asking questions. Who are these guys? Are they working for the 'club'? If they work for the 'club', is this how they had planned to eliminate me? Will this be my end? What do they want from me, whosoever they are?

I needed to use my body now. My feet to kick, make some struggling and fighting movements. My hands too. My voice to speak and shout out for help. Raise an alarm. I was not going to go down this way.

As if my captors were reading my thoughts, they sent a message down into my system through a needle. As soon as the substance was injected into me, my muscles went down, my refexes slowed down and I passed out.

Even though I had passed out, my body had been knocked off, I could still feel a part of my mind working. Is it the subconscious me or what? With it, I could read to some extent, what was going on. Even though it was so slow. Because, whatever they had injected was also affecting my mind.

I noticed myself lifted and then after some movements, was laid down on a metallic surface and we began to move. I was been driven. The destination, I don't know.

After some time, we stopped and I was carried and made to sit on a seat with my feet chained and my hands too. Then, the needle went in again and I gasped and awakened. Slowly at first, and then fully finally.

I took note of my environment. It was somewhere I knew. Somewhere I had know all my life. This place meant almost everything to me. This was not where I wanted to be in. It was my family house. My parent's house, where they had raised us up. Where we- my siblings and I had grown up. I began to panic.

As I turned, I could see one of my uncles. He was my childhood hero at a point in my life when I had a dream of becoming a soldier. His face was set as though it was formed out of rocks. He was not smiling at all. I could see that he was bent on whatever he was determined to do.

He walked to face me and asked between his teeth, "where is Regina's daughter?"

I was scared. I was not scared because I was been interrogated by a military man. My uncle was a very 'militarized' man. He was even so, my Dad had told me, before joining the army. He had risen to the rank of a Major General before retiring.

Rather, I was scared that karma had come for me. What I had sown, I was now about to reap. Just as I betrayed my relative, one connected to me by blood without considering the plight she would find herself in, in the same way I am been held down to pay for my sins by my own relative- my uncle who had the power to have saved me. But now, he was not here to save me, he was here to put me down and destroy me if that was what would be needed to get the truth from me and get Princess back.

"I don't know", I replied fearfully.

I needed to master myself. I needed to hold my emotions in place and not fidget. My fear would sell me out and that was going to be bad. Even though, Regina had narrated everything to him and I knew I was responsible, I still needed to man up and stay cool and not break down. But what I had resolved to do never was done as soon as my parents were brought in.

I could not hold it back. My eyes began to pour our tears. I wailed and gnashed my teeth with so much anguish. Dad and Mum had been tortured(so, it seemed). They looked bloody. Blood stains. Open wounds. And I cried the more because, I was the reason behind this present suffering of theirs. They could not have been through this if not because of what I did.

It became clear to me that I was a terrible person. That whatever good conscience I felt I had was not anything close to good. But was pure evil in disguise. I had been causing the people related to me so much pain and griefs because of my greed and selfish decisions and choices.

And now, I knew I must rectify things- make corrections. Do my best to undo some of my mistakes. And I knew where to start from.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 5:11pm On Jul 17, 2018
CHAPTER 15

I could not look at my parent's faces. I felt so ashamed and disappointed at myself. I knew I had let them down. I kept my face down and away from their faces until an instruction was given to take them out of the room. I then raised my head and saw their retreating figures.

As soon as they were out, my uncle pulled a chair and sat before me, "So, what do you think? Do we need to 'touch' them more for you to come clean?"

I was angry at his question and I knew that he meant what he was saying.

"You are been so wicked. Why did you have to do that to them? What did they do wrong? I was the one that should be dealt with not them"

"You have the prison waiting for you. That I can promise you. Better start talking"

I told him everything that I needed to tell him, especially about the 'club' and my plans with the private investigator to work in getting Princess back. He said nothing all through except to nod his head in between and bore me through with his eyes.

"I want you to deal with the guys at the 'club'", I said with deep dislike for them because they cheated me and took advantage of me.

"You think our job is to avenge for you? That is not our business. You will do that yourself. What concerns us is getting back Princess", he replied with coldness in his voice.

He got the private investigator's phone number from me and called. They spoke for some minutes. After which he signalled one of his men, who put the needle in again and I passed out.

The next time my eyes got opened, I was back in Portharcout at the same hotel where I was taken from. After a short briefing, he asked me to go back to be with the 'club' guys so as not to rouse any suspicion while the work on how to proceed from there.

I noticed that the receptionist I had met the previous day that led me to be caught was not there. I wondered why. Maybe, he was not on duty on the day of my return. Or better still, maybe he was not even a staff of the hotel. Which hotel would use her staff to get a criminal caught? That would be endangering the staff's life. What if the criminal was armed and was bent on not getting caught?

On the other hand, i thought that maybe he was paid to do what he did. But somehow, I kept thinking that I had seen his face somewhere. He looked somewhat familiar. But I couldn't place the face. I couldn't tell where I had seen or met him.

1 Like

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Smazlexander: 6:17pm On Jul 17, 2018
kudos Bro nice Write Up Continue Like This
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jul 17, 2018
kudos
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by paqman: 3:34am On Jul 18, 2018
Hello...I might have to stop writing and posting this story. I seem to have exhausted my personal encouragement to do that for many reasons. I have posted 11 chapters so far and I seem to post daily and do so with multiple chapters but I have not got up to 5 comments and the views are not even up to 270 at this point of writing.
I guess the story is not nice and interesting.. that could be why..so I guess I will just let it go..and stop writing and posting.
To all that have viewed and read and commented(thanks a lot)..so far..and liked and shared (I hail Oga Souloho..thanks man. you shared and liked)..thanks again..
If I find any better encouragement from peeps, I might proceed..if not...we gotta call it a day..guys..
stopping is not an option is like when you started a business in a year and you expecting more than what you produce, Rome was not built in a day, ask authors on nairaland with millions views they will definitely have a story to tell, keep it coming you might become a rival to souloho tomorrow if you persistent
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 10:34am On Jul 18, 2018
Emzyme:
kudos
Thanks man...
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 10:34am On Jul 18, 2018
CowHard:
Glad you considered me worthy of mention alongside other great writers of the Nairaland literature section.

Nice work dear....keep posting.

Comments will definitely come.
Thank you
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 10:36am On Jul 18, 2018
LazyNairalander:
Thank you...I appreciate
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 10:38am On Jul 18, 2018
LazyNairalander:
Thank you...I appreciate
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 10:38am On Jul 18, 2018
samkpanam:
Continuity is required ooo,carry on Nice story but mention me next time oo
Thanks boss..
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 10:39am On Jul 18, 2018
samkpanam:
Continuity is required ooo,carry on Nice story but mention me next time oo
Thanks boss..
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 10:40am On Jul 18, 2018
paqman:
stopping is not an option is like when you started a business in a year and you expecting more than what you produce, Rome was not built in a day, ask authors on nairaland with millions views they will definitely have a story to tell, keep it coming you might become a rival to souloho tomorrow if you persistent
Man..I appreciate.. thanks
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 18, 2018
d number 1 reader of nairaland stories is back #debbycreamy, i been go bury my papa, now i'm her. If u stop dis story u go piss for pant o
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 10:54am On Jul 20, 2018
CHAPTER 16

A Year After My Release

Its been a year after my release. A lot have happened and I have heard a lot. All these have helped me come to the full understanding of everything that happened.

And that I would share.

I discovered that the whole thing did not look as I had thought. Even though I was not aware of what really was going on and what was behind it all, I could not fail to take responsibility for the part I played. I was not informed my part, I was not told ahead of time, I was just not even thought in the beginning to be a part of the whole event but I came in. And it was risky but humans are known to be creatures of hope.

Hope is life. Without it, we would find no reason to live especially in moments when the going gets tough.

Samuel Dee is the name of Regina's husband. He was someone you would easily take as an ordinary man. But he wasn't. He only made himself ordinary.

He was the only son and the second child of Chief Dimka Sunday Dee, a billionaire business man who is all involved in politics. Chief Dee was a man who was so obsessed with having control. He wanted things to always go his way. He would think things out and spell out what is expected of others and they expect them to line up. This is quest to have everybody under his control was what brought a rift between him and his only son- Sam.

First of all, Sam was so not cut out for the life his Dad and Mom had planned out for him. They wanted him to study Medicine and Surgery outside the country, graduate, do further studies and then return back to the country to establish a well furnished hospital and medical center. After which, he would launch out into politics. His Dad never really started out politics early even though he was an addict to power. He rather spent most of his life accumulating wealth. 'You need money to buy power in Nigeria', he would always say.

And so, he wanted his son- Sam to be the politician he never really got early enough to be. He wanted to live his life through his son. Hr wanted to achieve his political dreams through him but Sam wanted a different life. A life of his choice. A life free from his Dad's control and this desire of his made his Dad got mad at him.

His Mom as was expected in most homes, was siding with his Dad. It was natural. A wife's first and highest loyalty is to her husband and not to her children. The children came later because of the union she has with her husband. And so, she stood with her husband though, she was trying to get to Sam through another means other than her husband's forceful approach.

This control game even got into the area of who Sam was to marry. They wanted him to marry a girl from an influential home and a marriage that would form or reenforce a business or political alliance. But Sam fell in love. And he would only marry for love. He fell in love with Regina, who was not from the kind of class of family that her parents would want for him to get a wife from.

"She would leave you. And you will see it. She is in for something. You would end up loosing. She doesn't not love you. She only loves what you have and can afford. The prestige. The money. The affiliation", his Dad had angrily said.

And true to his word, Regina left with their daughter Princess when she discovered that she was not milking from the wealth of the family since her husband had refused to have anything to do with his Dad since he had wanted to always control his life. If he allowed a kobo from his Dad, he would feel he had the right to come a d run his marriage and that would not happen. But the woman he had married- Regina was almost like her Dad- manipulative and given to lust for luxurious living.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 11:06am On Jul 20, 2018
CHAPTER 17

When Sam began to have issues in his marriage with Regina, he did his best to be quiet about it to his family members, especially his parents. He would not talk about it. He was doing his best to avoid providing direct answers to questions asked about his marriage.

But his Mom got to know. Why? Motherly instinct, you might say. But more than that. She was the concerned half of his parents. She seemed to have a special liking for Sam but she had did her best to hide it. Her husband had put her to that. He would accus her for been the reason why he was obstinate. That it was this 'special' love that she had for her that had made her a weakling in properly disciplining Sam and so Sam had grown bold to disobey his orders.

Mrs. Dee didn't know what to do and how to do it. But she finally succumbed to her husband's many talks and got sided with him yet her deep love for her son was still there except that she learnt how not to show it. She didn't know better. She just didn't want her husband's theory to be true. She didn't want to be the one who would be held for spoiling her son.

It had become a common occurrence in Nigerian homes that Mothers get the highest blames for poorly trained children even though such accusations are not true, as a child's training is a joint responsibility of both parents and not just the mother.

As soon as she knew that her son's wife was becoming a thorn in his flesh and had gone to the point of running away with their daughter, she felt it was time for her to do something different. Something to prove the long hidden love she had for her son. The time to help him. The time to support him.

He was used to handling his problems alone. He was used to been alone. He even had his wedding planned alone just because his Dad had wanted him to suffer for not 'obeying' him and walking the path he had wanted him to.

She decided she was not going to let him bear this burden alone. She was not going to let his wife feel that Sam has no family to fight for him. She was going to handle the issue and get back his son's wife and daughter back to him, even though her top priority was getting back Princess.

She began her work and paid private investigators. Money was not her problem. Money has never been a problem to the Dees. For those who know them, money is spelt as Dee. She paid to follow up on her daughter in law and grand daughter.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by AvatarMode(m): 11:08am On Jul 20, 2018
To everyone that has stopped by to read, comment, like, share and more..thank you all...you've all been encouraging
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by paqman: 10:37pm On Jul 20, 2018
Keep it coming and don't relent
Re: The Work Of The Devil? A Short Story By Avatarmode by Smazlexander: 2:43pm On Jul 21, 2018
[i][/i] Mention Me In The Next Update i tend to miss a lot

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Page 3 Girls In The Sun Newspaper / Story: Memoirs Of A Virgin / Must Read: Fucking Revenge {playboy Er0tica}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.