Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Visa Interview Experience - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visa Interview Experience (847 Views)

My Interview Experience With A Visa Officer At Canada's Port Of Entry / Us Immigration Visa Interview Experience / How Was Your USA Visa Interview Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Visa Interview Experience by MarkSlim: 9:49pm On Jul 04, 2018
Hi all. So I've decided to share my Visa interview transcript. I read a lot of transcripts online before my interview and they were really helpful to me. I thought I would share mine.

6:45 AM Monday 9th April 2018:

VO: Hello, welcome sir
ME: Hello, good morning. How are you doing today?
VO: Great... So why are you coming to the United States?
Me: To further my education.
VO: What school will you be studying at?
Me: UCM Missouri
VO: Why this university?
Me: Because of the practical nature of the curriculum. <I Gave concise details about some interesting experience the school offers.>
VO: How did you learn about this school.?
Me: Over the internet. On a site called webmatric
VO: Which exams did you take?
Me: GRE, TOEFL
VO: Scores?
Me: GRE <called score>. TOEFL <called score>
VO: What program will you be studying?
Me: Software engineering
VO: <Shows a change in composure. Sits very upright. Holds my I-20 closely. Examines it scrupulously. Then leans backwards in his chair with a cold look on his face>. You say Software engineering but I see Computer Information Technology <CIS&IT> here on your I-20. What's that about.
Me: The programs title is CIS&IT, however, there are two options from which a student must chose one. Software engineering and Internet Technology. I am opting for the SWE option.
VO: So why SWE?
Me: <Brief explanation on my undergraduate major, My work experience as a programmer and analyst, courses I have taken and why I need this Msc to be a fully certified SWE>
VO: In SWE, how do you ensure a software is backward compatible.?
Me: <did not hear him clearly> Please say again.
VO: <Repeats himself>
Me: <Got what he said but I needed him to be exact as this a quite a technical question and I did not want to give a general answer> Sir perhaps I know what what it is you are talking about not just in the terms in which it is phrased.
VO: So i save a Microsoft Word document in office 2003. A new version of office 2010 is out, how does Microsoft ensure Office 2010 will open my document I saved previously in Office 2003?
Me: < Finally I understood his question with his example. However application's I've built thus far have not involved version upgrades opening earlier saved files. Even tho i had a textbook knowledge of this concept I have not practilized it>. I have not developed any application's within this scope sir. As such I wouldn't know as to what exact measures to take.
VO: So which application's have you developed.?
Me:<Called my latest 2 apps I built for my current company>. <App X and App Y>
VO: What language is App Y written in?
Me: VB.Net
VO: Explain how you designed it and how it works.
Me: <Talked briefly about the design, framework and logic of the app. And also the essence>.
VO: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: 3
VO: How many schools accepted you?
VO: Name them
Me: UCM Missouri, UL Lafayette, Penn State University
VO: Why did you pick UCM over ULL and PSU?
Me: Because of the nature of my courses and the curriculum.
VO: Who Is sponsoring?
Me: Called my sponsor
VO:What does she do?
Me: <Called her profession and work place>
VO: <Stops talking to me. Types. Looks at my I-20. Types. Looks at me. Repeats action. After few minutes. > I'm sorry. I cannot issue you a Visa at this time.
Me: Okay. Why is that sir?
VO: Its still more than 120 days before your program starts. Next week Monday the 13th make it 120 days to the start of your program. You will drop off your passport at this address <Points to an address on a white paper which he hands over to me> We'll take it up from there.
Me: <Apparently, I had used my mandatory orientation date on my 1-20 to calculate my 120 days.> Would I need to submit any documentation alongside my passport Sir?
VO: Just the passport sir. That'll do.
Me: Thank you very much. Have a nice day

<My interview lasted 17 minutes. I submitted my passport as instructed and after sometime, I was issued my visa>

<My tips: Pray. Be clear when you speak. If you do not know what is asked, kindly ask for a repeat. Do not give general answers>

Hope this helps......

5 Likes

Re: Visa Interview Experience by Openatyn(m): 10:04pm On Jul 04, 2018
Thanks bro
Re: Visa Interview Experience by banty: 10:57pm On Jul 04, 2018
All na still, God....
Re: Visa Interview Experience by youngsahito(m): 11:18pm On Jul 04, 2018
MarkSlim:
Hi all. So I've decided to share my Visa interview transcript. I read a lot of transcripts online before my interview and they were really helpful to me. I thought I would share mine.

6:45 AM Monday 9th April 2018:

VO: Hello, welcome sir
ME: Hello, good morning. How are you doing today?
VO: Great... So why are you coming to the United States?
Me: To further my education.
VO: What school will you be studying at?
Me: UCM Missouri
VO: Why this university?
Me: Because of the practical nature of the curriculum. <I Gave concise details about some interesting experience the school offers.>
VO: How did you learn about this school.?
Me: Over the internet. On a site called webmatric
VO: Which exams did you take?
Me: GRE, TOEFL
VO: Scores?
Me: GRE <called score>. TOEFL <called score>
VO: What program will you be studying?
Me: Software engineering
VO: <Shows a change in composure. Sits very upright. Holds my I-20 closely. Examines it scrupulously. Then leans backwards in his chair with a cold look on his face>. You say Software engineering but I see Computer Information Technology <CIS&IT> here on your I-20. What's that about.
Me: The programs title is CIS&IT, however, there are two options from which a student must chose one. Software engineering and Internet Technology. I am opting for the SWE option.
VO: So why SWE?
Me: <Brief explanation on my undergraduate major, My work experience as a programmer and analyst, courses I have taken and why I need this Msc to be a fully certified SWE>
VO: In SWE, how do you ensure a software is backward compatible.?
Me: <did not hear him clearly> Please say again.
VO: <Repeats himself>
Me: <Got what he said but I needed him to be exact as this a quite a technical question and I did not want to give a general answer> Sir perhaps I know what what it is you are talking about not just in the terms in which it is phrased.
VO: So i save a Microsoft Word document in office 2003. A new version of office 2010 is out, how does Microsoft ensure Office 2010 will open my document I saved previously in Office 2003?
Me: < Finally I understood his question with his example. However application's I've built thus far have not involved version upgrades opening earlier saved files. Even tho i had a textbook knowledge of this concept I have not practilized it>. I have not developed any application's within this scope sir. As such I wouldn't know as to what exact measures to take.
VO: So which application's have you developed.?
Me:<Called my latest 2 apps I built for my current company>. <App X and App Y>
VO: What language is App Y written in?
Me: VB.Net
VO: Explain how you designed it and how it works.
Me: <Talked briefly about the design, framework and logic of the app. And also the essence>.
VO: How many schools did you apply to?
VO: How many schools accepted you?
VO: Name them
Me: UCM Missouri, UL Lafayette, Penn State University
VO: Why did you pick UCM over ULL and PSU?
Me: Because of the nature of my courses and the curriculum.
VO: Who Is sponsoring?
Me: Called my sponsor
VO:What does she do?
Me: <Called her profession and work place>
VO: <Stops talking to me. Types. Looks at my I-20. Types. Looks at me. Repeats action. After few minutes. > I'm sorry. I cannot issue you a Visa at this time.
Me: Okay. Why is that sir?
VO: Its still more than 120 days before your program starts. Next week Monday the 13th make it 120 days to the start of your program. You will drop off your passport at this address <Points to an address on a white paper which he hands over to me> We'll take it up from there.
Me: <Apparently, I had used my mandatory orientation date on my 1-20 to calculate my 120 days.> Would I need to submit any documentation alongside my passport Sir?
VO: Just the passport sir. That'll do.
Me: Thank you very much. Have a nice day

<My interview lasted 17 minutes. I submitted my passport as instructed and after sometime, I was issued my visa>

<My tips: Pray. Be clear when you speak. If you do not know what is asked, kindly ask for a repeat. Do not give general answers>

Hope this helps......
congrat bro, how did you apply to the school?
Re: Visa Interview Experience by justwise(m): 5:16am On Jul 05, 2018

(1)

Oxygen Mask Used During Air Peace Flight To Enugu — Lady Shares Scary Experience / I Need Help With My Nigerian Passport / Travelling To Abuja. Where To Stay.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.