Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,485 members, 7,819,760 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears (4011 Views)

Trachings Getting Truly Cherish Religiously Based / The Man Who Wears Make-up Perfectly Than Most Women / Buy Original American Ladies Wears,bags, Accessories E.t.c At Angels Boutique (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by matoyeh(m): 3:18pm On Jun 09, 2010
Why Do we Cherish Foreign Wears? grin
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by untainted: 12:19pm On Jun 10, 2010
for very obvious reasons;
"Quality" for starters.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by medjai(m): 12:24pm On Jun 10, 2010
better quality, especially when it comes to mens shirt. Nigeria made mens shirt come with very awkward and loud designs and at an unbelievable price.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by BluMalam(m): 12:36pm On Jun 10, 2010
_The Style. The Range of Fabrics. Our allegiance to big brand names. Most new fads come from the west, and most surprisingly, they are more available than indigenous ones_
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by davidif: 12:48pm On Jun 10, 2010
When Nigerian manufacturers start improving there quality then people would start using Nigerian clothes.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by wazobiang: 1:26pm On Jun 10, 2010
"QUALIDY"
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by denony(m): 2:32pm On Jun 10, 2010
cos' it rock
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by Pittbaby(f): 2:52pm On Jun 10, 2010
the good nigerian designers are not producing at the scale required for the market and even in foriegn countries majority of the population wear clothes that are made in Asia ( even when a designer name is on it) You can't beat the asians when it comes to mass production.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by eloii: 4:18pm On Jun 10, 2010
Good Quality and neat design. And it always look very simple in one's eye.

Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by jmoore(m): 4:28pm On Jun 10, 2010
because that is what is in the market.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jun 10, 2010
The answer is simple - QUALITY!
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by eros(m): 5:11pm On Jun 10, 2010
For very obvious reasons as listed by previous posters, good quality material and brand names, amongst other reasons.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by Homonide: 5:12pm On Jun 10, 2010
To a large extent, we cherish foreign wears because of the unrivaled quality and also because that is what we grew up wearing. I mean, imagine a child that grew up wearing only native wears (probably in the village), it's just natural that he's going to love those attires. But as he grows up, and gets exposed to the modern, western world, his preference is likely to change.
We cannot deny the influence of the west on lives as Nigerians, even at times when it is glaring that a foreign product is inferior or substandard to a locally made one. Maybe it is  "Psychological slavery". Before u guys start spanking me, i'm not left our too.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by Kalamaya: 6:29pm On Jun 10, 2010
Is not only in Nigeria that we have this problem,even in the west people wear brand names.infact in most cases they are the best quality wise.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by Tcrack(m): 7:25pm On Jun 10, 2010
higher quality.we hardly make any in nigeria and most of the few made in nigeria are crapy.(not all though)
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by coldubako(m): 7:53pm On Jun 10, 2010
simply because of "complex". we still have good 9ja wears.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by gmailer: 8:58pm On Jun 10, 2010
Quality for 1
Reasonable foreign wears are not so expensive
Reasonable Nigerian wears are quite expensive, some are completely outrageous
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by uchchu: 11:22pm On Jun 10, 2010
saliuafo:

Hi to you all,our company that is affiliated to companies in U.K has brought in very special designer goods for you which are very expensive for you all to buy in all the boutiques in nigeria.
e.g TM Lewin N7,000 is selling for N3,000 and N2,500 if more than 1 piece, Marks & spencers N8,500 is selling for N3,000 and N2,500 for more than 1 piece, TM Lewin ladies pants N4,000 is selling for N2,000 and etc.If interested simply contact Mr. Afolabi Saliu on 08051175869, 07090239563
Meet me or my wife at
6,idowu laiyemo crescent ketu lagos.When u get to ketu take a bike and
tell them u are going to idowu laiyemo and call me when u get there

Its either your TM shirts are fake or you stole them. The cheapest you can get TM shirts is 4 shirts for £90 for slim fit and £20 each for regular shirts. There are lots of fake TM lewin shirts in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by Fhemmmy: 1:33am On Jun 11, 2010
Cos we never appreciate anything that is ours.
We never appreciate our own women
Never appreciates our own men
Never appreciate our own education
Never appreciate our own "anything"
That is why even some stinking indians will get into a nite clubs in Nija before a clean shaved Nija man.

Design a cloth in Ibadan and label it "Made in USA" and see how it will fly off the shelves
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by oseiwe(m): 6:21am On Jun 11, 2010
U don ever wear ibo made clothes? It will kill ur personality.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by moonraker(m): 7:57am On Jun 11, 2010
Guys, i bow for una ooooh,

Ok, picture this, You like on the streets wearing tims on yur foot, t-shirt is rocawear, jeans is g-unit

perfume is sean john, wristwatch is armani etc, the brand names i listed, how does that sound to yu??

your guess is as good as mine,
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by adetoru(f): 9:09am On Jun 11, 2010
beautiful,well tailored,quality material,comfortable fabrics, , ,
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by mjbaba: 10:12am On Jun 11, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Cos we never appreciate anything that is ours.
We never appreciate our own women
Never appreciates our own men
Never appreciate our own education
Never appreciate our own "anything"
That is why even some stinking indians will get into a nite clubs in Nija before a clean shaved Nija man.

Design a cloth in Ibadan and label it "Made in USA" and see how it will fly off the shelves

Seriously, Fhemmy is very correct. We Nigerians do not appreciate anything "OURS"
Agreed, some of these foreign wears are of good quality, we are not doing enough still to identify with our things.
I was in Ghana recently and I noticed the high sense of national identity. More people wear their traditional attires and even when they wear T-Shirts, most of their T-Shirts carry the national colours. Everywhere you go, you see their flags all over even in their malls. In Nigeria, majority of us "the educateds and open-eyed" feel people who identify too much with Nigerian things are "local".

Go to the typical sportwear shops in Ghana, the jerseys you will find on sale are Black Stars jerseys carrying names like Muntari, Essien, Appiah etc and these are the stuff that really move. In naija, its either Chelsea, Arsenal or Man U, why are we like that??

Lets go a step further, see ghanaian, Ivorien and Cameroonian footballers. Even at their European clubsides, you see them wearing wrist bands of their national colours or carrying something to indicate where they come from. How many Nigerian players wear GreeWhiteGreen wrist bands apart from Sodje who used to wear a bandana carrying the colors at his clubside.

So, in Summary, our sense of National Identity is very poor and needs to be improved on.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by benabbey(m): 10:57am On Jun 11, 2010
The reason is plain and simple INFERIORITY COMPLEX, COLONIAL MENTALITY, and the multiplier effect is UNEMPLOYMENT. We keep people employed all over the world through our insatiable taste for everything foreign Cloth, Tooth pick, Match boxes, Rice, Chocolate, just name it. Some foolish people will even brag about there wears, shoe, jewelry. The same question can be asked is why is the value of Naira so low compared to Dollar, Pounds. Everybody is looking for Dollar to buy to take to Dubai, America, London Sales
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by ud4u: 11:01am On Jun 11, 2010
Foreign wear = Quality + cheaper

Locally made are sometimes more expensive lacks fitting and quality
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by idifu(m): 12:02pm On Jun 11, 2010
cuz the local designers here are not impressive and also the quality of the clothes here are nothing to write home about sad
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by ijcurt(f): 12:12pm On Jun 11, 2010
U don ever wear ibo made clothes? It will kill your personality
lol, so funny
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by 1forall: 12:16pm On Jun 11, 2010
Front page topic
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by Fhemmmy: 12:44pm On Jun 11, 2010
moonraker:

Guys, i bow for una ooooh,

Ok, picture this, You like on the streets wearing tims on yur foot, t-shirt is rocawear, jeans is g-unit

perfume is sean john, wristwatch is armani etc, the brand names i listed, how does that sound to yu??

your guess is as good as mine,

If i dress with all those u have mentioned, I will be sent packing from my office.

1. Cologne is not for everyone and when you used it in the office, it has to be mild cos some are allergic to it.
2. Wearing tims to office, and would u be kool with your employee dong that or wearing T-shirts.
3. Jean to the office on a regular basis out of Friday, you are looking for a easy exit.
Besides, all those brand names are sometimes waste of money and just attention seeking.
No one knows the value of all you have on till they see the tags and the labels on it till you take them off and only those that are close to you would see such.
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by Fhemmmy: 12:51pm On Jun 11, 2010
ijcurt:

U don ever wear ibo made clothes? It will kill your personality
lol, so funny

Please explain to me what you mean
idifu:

cuz the local designers here are not impressive and also the quality of the clothes here are nothing to write home about sad

You could invest in them and make them impressive, remember if those foreign cuts were called off cos they were not impressive at the beginning, there wont be nothing for us to wear.
ud4u:

Foreign wear = Quality + cheaper

Locally made are sometimes more expensive lacks fitting and quality

Cheap? could you explain, i beg
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by otukpo(f): 2:02pm On Jun 11, 2010
Who no like better thing?
Re: Why Do We Cherish Foreign Wears by Fhemmmy: 2:32pm On Jun 11, 2010
otukpo:

Who no like better thing?

We all do, but we could all find a way to develop ours too

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Perfume Lasts The Longest And Smells Really Good? / What The Hell Is He Doing In The Military? / My Eyebrow Transformation Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.