Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,076 members, 7,821,707 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? (2531 Views)

How The 12 Apostles Of Jesus Christ Died / Top Seven Awesome Prophets And Their Lifestyle In The Bible / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by MrBassey: 5:27pm On Jan 03, 2006
Are they con men, clairvoyants or hallucinators?

Mr. Bassey
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by Seun(m): 7:28am On Jan 04, 2006
Can you name the propheets and apostles in question?
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by MrBassey: 1:14pm On Jan 04, 2006
Tope Joshua, Pastor Olabayo, Pastor Anuzia (Zoe Ministry) etc., those kind of guys
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by chrisd(m): 5:39pm On Jan 05, 2006
Better assume con men, will get out of problem. Better be safe than sorry
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by Logical(m): 5:53pm On Jan 05, 2006
I still do not get the differences.

Church A man of God perform miracles, read from the bible , and take tithes.

Church B does the same.

Now the followers of Church B assume because the type of preachings in Church A is unlike the one of Church B, therefore Church A must be evil. All that Church A does is quote to suit its activities and needs. And does some extra stuffs like promising its followers that whoever believe shall be blessed with wordly gains to increase its crowd especially in a country like Nigeria, were poverty and unemployment had forced people to be religious.

Isnt it interesting? I find it interesting. Religion today especially "Christianity" in "some" churches in Nigeria has being directed towards a way to fullfill wordly gains and get special favours from God, and that I find amazing , or maybe troubling.

Is this what christianity all about? When did you become God, to judge other practices? All you can do is point at things they do that is bad, and quote in respect on why it is bad. I don't think christianity preaches tagging others bad, because they don't follow what you were taught to follow in your church.

Christians in the 70's or even 80's in Nigeria, werent like this sad.

The bible says this but you are doing the exact opposite of this. thats exactly what we all want to hear, not judgemental accusations based on what your pastor taught you, or what you assume is wrong without written proofs.
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by chrisd(m): 6:06pm On Jan 05, 2006
Well said logical. Well said
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by chrisd(m): 6:07pm On Jan 05, 2006
Logical and Exu , you are Muslim right
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by Logical(m): 6:14pm On Jan 05, 2006
I am a muslim, but I dont allow "emotions" to cloud my judgement. I try to be very rational, open-minded and at the same time speak the truth when it comes to religious debates especially. I am also willing to learn everyday on why other religions do what they do, to give me a better chance of getting my message acrosss.
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by chrisd(m): 6:29pm On Jan 05, 2006
Ok, I believe you, calm down now. I wanted to ask you some questions as muslims.

Church A man of God perform miracles, read from the bible , and take tithes.
Quoting bible to suit its activities and needs. And does some extra stuffs like promising its followers that whoever believe
You talked about that "Christianity" in "some" churches has being directed towards a way to fullfill wordly gains and get special favours from God. All you can do is point at things they do that is bad, and quote in respect on why it is bad. I don't think christianity preaches tagging others bad, because they don't follow what you were taught to follow in your church. Pay Tithes, never question the church, and everyone must keep his place else we kick him out.

As muslims what is your way of thinking on these matters. Even though I am Christian, I agree some churches got it all mixed up and try brainwashing.
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by Logical(m): 6:41pm On Jan 05, 2006
Thanks for asking.

Muslims think anything that does not allow questioning or logical reasoning is not the right path, and its plain dictatorship or even worse than that. If you have watched Islamic preachings or any religious sermons that is not a path of a process to a certain worship i.e( the jumaat and Ed-celebrations sermon not included because of the nature of the sermon which is normally targetted to the propose of that certain worship i.e which is not generally morality preaching inclined.), you would always see the "room" for questioning being always created. You can ask and you would be answered. You wont be tagged anti-God, as if it is a cult.

To us "tithe" is ungodly, we do not think God needs our material gains. From the Islamic perspective, Human and the Jinns were created to worship God, that is we have a purpose. And what God enjoins us to do is give to the needy "directly or indirectly".

Directly meaning going to the charity or the needy and making the donation, or indirectly donating something to the mosque for charity.

Giving alms to the poor is known as sadaqa.

We also have what we is called Zakat, which is normally a yearly compulsory contribution, if the conditions are met.

Zakat is the amount of money that every adult, mentally stable, free, and financially able Muslim, male and female, has to pay to support specific categories people.

This category of people is defined in surah at-Taubah (9) verse 60: " The alms are only for the poor and the needy, and those who collect them, and those whose hearts are to be reconciled, and to free the captives and the debtors, and for the cause of Allah, and (for) the wayfarers; a duty imposed by Allah. Allah is knower, Wise." (The Holy Qur'an 9:60).

Zakat is obligatory when a certain amount of money, called the nisab is reached or exceeded. Zakat is not obligatory if the amount owned is less than this nisab. The nisab (or minimum amount) of gold and golden currency is 20 mithqal, this is approximately 85 grams of pure gold. One mithqal is approximately 4.25 grams. The nisab of silver and silver currency is 200 dirhams, which is approximately 595 grams of pure silver. The nisab of other kinds of money and currency is to be scaled to that of gold, 85 grams of pure gold. This means that the nisab of money is the price of 85 grams of 999-type (pure) gold, on the day in which Zakat is paid.

So I hope you see the Islamic perspective. God does not need your material gains, all he needs is your obedience and worship.
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by chrisd(m): 7:22pm On Jan 05, 2006
I agree with that. Thanks a lot. smiley
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by Deist: 2:49pm On Feb 07, 2006
"Muslims think anything that does not allow questioning or logical reasoning is not the right path, and its plain dictatorship or even worse than that".

I'm sorry, but I can't accept your statement about Islam as being inclusive for all Muslims.  Many Muslim Arabs, Persians, and others around the world do not share your beliefs.

All one has to do is pick up a newspaper, watch television, research both sides of an issue, and observe the Arab street behavior to see otherwise.  I'm afraid peaceful, civilized, Islam is in the process of being hijacked, radicalized, and militarized at the current time.  Same thing can be said about some of the charismatic Christian religions and cults currently operating in America.

Be that as it may, I'm neither Christian nor Muslim.  I'm a Deist (Deism is 'natural religion' vs 'revealed religion') and I believe one's religious belief system is best achieved personally and directly between them and their creator, although I share some of your beliefs in what you said in your statement about charities and giving to the less fortunate when able.

I do not believe in revealed religion given from the creator to middle men (pastors, evangelists, mullahs, rabbis, etc.) to pass on to others with their own slant on what they say.  Ever played that childhood game called, 'Gossip'?  Surprising how things get more skewed the further down the line they get.  Anything diluted and altered by mankind from the creator over the centuries is not conducive to having a close personal relationship with the creator.  The false prophets such as more pastors than not, 'holy men with 'political axes to grind', and televangelists, are motivated mostly by greed!  Your soul and well being are secondary to power over others, money, and benefits.  People should be motivated by the 'Golden Rule', respect for life (yes, even animal lives), and a deep personal spiritual relationship with the creator.  Would I trust an intermediator between me and my creator?  NEVER!  More people have been killed on Earth in the name of religion than for any other reason..... and mostly because of rhetoric by powerful 'holy men' and their zealots.  cry
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by Ajisafe: 9:30pm On Feb 13, 2006
@ Logical, assalaam alaikum, brother!
Where were you all this time? We need people like you on the forum to teach the Knowledge; I know there are more Muslims like you on Nairaland -- you cannot continue to watch while the kufars continue to battle us tooth and nail -- we all need to come together and teach the world! Don't just leave this daunting task to Nuru, myself, and Kismat. Please, Muslims, come out of your cocoons!

@ chrisd,
You have fooled me for a long time about your religious leaning. Your coming "out of the closet" now surprises me because, given your objectivity and sensibility, you are far removed from being a christian extremist/fundamentalist like some "christian wannabes, males and females" on this forum. Keep it up, my friend.
Re: Self-Proclaimed Prophets And Apostles: Con Men Or The Real Deal? by chrisd(m): 11:04am On Feb 14, 2006
Definately not an extremist.

(1) (Reply)

The Unbiblical Practice Of Altar Calls & The Sinner's Prayer / South African Pastor, Lesego Daniel Makes Church Members Eat GRASS / Blw International Day Of Service

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.