Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,856 members, 7,824,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? (12215 Views)

Scary: Which Of These Would You Eat For #50,000? / Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / Shop Sells Human bosom Milk Ice-cream (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by belle4u2nv(f): 11:03am On Dec 28, 2006
pls am kinda not clear with this style of English.
Would you "EAT" icecream or "TAKE" icecream
av looked it up in a dictionary and culdnt get an answer.
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]Please Oblige me and correct me
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by sakish(f): 1:38pm On Dec 29, 2006
@belle4u2nv
I am not also sure about the correct one some say eat, others say lick,I would just say take cos you don't eat icecream.
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by English1(f): 2:56pm On Dec 31, 2006
Ah, the eat/take idea is one of the big differences between Nigerian English and British English.

Nigerians say 'take' for many foods. I don't know if ice-cream is one of them but I assume so as every Nigerian I've heard uses 'take' for all types of eating/food. My Nigerian boyfriend only ever says 'take' and never 'eat' a food.

In Britain, we only use 'take' for medicine, we never use it for food at all. We eat food, we don't 'take' it. Ever.

This can lead to a lot of confusion!

So, if you are talking to Nigerians, say 'take' or if you are talking to British people say 'eat'.

I eat icecream from a bowl but I lick icecream from a cone as a way of eating it.
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by MP007(m): 3:47am On Jun 24, 2007
u lick when its semi-solid, eat when its hard and u take/ drink when its liquid
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by omogenaija(f): 7:01am On Jun 24, 2007
i just say i want ice cream and i put it in my mouth undecided
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by MP007(m): 7:02am On Jun 24, 2007
abi o
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by benit(f): 2:27pm On Jun 26, 2007
ice cream pls!
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by ThoniaSlim(f): 3:00pm On Jun 26, 2007
@topicbstance
i would not say i ate ice cream, kind of looks weird because ice cream is neither solid,but it can either be semi solid or liquid
so lick is preferable when its in a semi solid form and drink when it melts and its completely liquid.
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by chiogo(f): 9:52pm On Jun 26, 2007
I believe the definition of "eat" is "to take in as food". it didn't say in the dictionary u only eat non-solids. whether solid or liquid or gas, u're takin' it into ur body.Therefore i believe u can eat anythin'. we all know we drink water and other beverages. but other things,it is correct to use "eat". Here in america, pple say " i ate some icecream" or do u want to eat icecream?" To me, that is correct due to the above definition of "eat". u can also use "take" but either one is correct. That's just what i think. wink
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by ThoniaSlim(f): 1:35am On Jun 27, 2007
well i guess thats your opinion, but since ice cream can neither be a meal/food, because i have not seen any place that ice cream has been referred to as food. lick would be preferable for me.
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by knotty(m): 9:45am On Jul 03, 2007
You say `i want to chop ice cream` grin
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by knotty(m): 9:48am On Jul 03, 2007
and if you want to sound sophisticated, you say:
`i wanna wack ice cream`
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by knotty(m): 9:54am On Jul 03, 2007
wetin dey do this moderator sef? he changed my statement from i `wanna` to `i want to`. is the guy not a sophisticat?
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by mamag3: 6:34pm On Aug 03, 2009
They can both be used.
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by TOYOSI20(f): 6:37pm On Aug 03, 2009
Really doesnt matter to me oo, as long as i enjoy the thing, . . . . . cheesy cheesy
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 04, 2009
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by uzwu: 5:38pm On Aug 04, 2009
Lick is the right word to use abeg. Icecream is no drug to be taken
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by Fhemmmy: 8:03pm On Aug 04, 2009
Some say lick.
All that matters to me is for the sweet thing to get into my stomach.
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 04, 2009
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by Fhemmmy: 4:48pm On Aug 05, 2009
chaircover:

I'm licking a bowl of ice cream?

Think it should say I'm devouring a bowl of ice cream and I'm having/licking/sucking on an ice lolly

u too like good thing jare.
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by TOYOSI20(f): 11:19pm On Aug 05, 2009
Most people refer to the term "have" . . . .so i guess u have ice cream, . . . . undecided
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Aug 05, 2009
chaircover:

Yea thats right, you're licking the bowl, not eating the bowl undecided

Correct term is "want ice-cram " or "eat ice cream".
Which one is "take"? Is icecream medicine? grin
Re: Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? by oyinda3(f): 6:16am On Aug 07, 2009
i would eat icecream
take and lick sound awkward to me

chaircover:

lol

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? / What Food Or Pill Will I Take To Have Big bubs/butt. / Nigerian Women Who Don't Eat A Lot In Front Of Guys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.