Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,671 members, 7,816,759 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe (22243 Views)

The Return Of Parked Tankers On Expressways In Lagos (PHOTOS) / Finally, Parked Trucks Are Getting Off Expressways And Bridges In Lagos (PHOTOS) / Ambode’s Wire-mesh Fence On Expressways Are Being Vandalized (see PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by autojosh: 2:13pm On Jul 11, 2018

Traveling by road could be very exhausting. It also comes with a great deal of discomfort – especially when you are traveling in a compact commercial vehicle.

During such trips, there are always requests, by passengers, for the vehicle to stop for an opportunity to pee, or to stretch one’s legs, or simply to survive claustrophobia.

Often, and due to security concerns, drivers of commercial vehicles prefer making these occasional stops only at designated rest areas. These rest areas, or stopover restaurants – situated along major inter-state expressways – offer drivers and passengers facilities that enable them to rest, eat, or refuel without any security concern.

These rest areas are typically a beehive of activities. However, certain elements are peculiar to most of them.

Autojosh presents, “Stop-Over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe There”.

The DJ/Music Vendor

As soon as you drive into these rest areas, the high volume sounds blasting from huge speakers gets your immediate attention. These speakers belong to the resident DJ/DVD sellers. As many audio materials are played within minutes, in anticipation that one of them would win the interest of the passengers during the brief moments they would be resting from traveling fatigue.

The fruit sellers

At these rest areas, you find – on display for sale – different types of fruits that are in season. These fresh fruits are typically appealing to the senses. However, if you think that because you are in a rural setup, then you would get these fruits cheap, then you are in for a shocker. The fruit sellers in such places tend to believe that travelers are moneyed people. Their price offers for these fruits are mostly unfriendly to the pocket – costing far more than they are sold in urban setups. However, with a good bargaining skill, you can acquire some of the fruits.

The “Mai Suya”

As soon as you disembark from your vehicle, to elicit your interest, they offer you a small piece of suya, typically on stick. This antic is necessary in order to lure you to their barbecue stand. They are the “mai suyas” or or Suya sellers

Sometimes, you wonder how they make profit, after giving out so much samples of suya to countless number of travelers, many of whom do not eventually patronize them.

The Newspaper vendor

Journeys could be boring. So passengers look for every opportunity to kill boredom during the trips. The newspaper vendor understand this. So, they set up shops at these rest places.

The paparazzi

These are some young people who are equipped with some camera. These cameras are typically some out-of-dated, low megapixel Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony camera, etc.

They harass passengers with a proposal to “take them picture”. Peace will elude you during your brief stay at these rest areas unless you firmly decline the proposal of these paparazzi.

Beggars

They are all over the premises. They move from one passengers to the other. They carry out a campaign designed to either emotionally blackmail you for money – or to trade prayers for money.

The Good Samaritans

These set of people – mostly women –approach passengers with printed documents. These documents are made available to prove to passengers that they are certified to collect donations on behalf of some vague orphanage or motherless babies’ home.

The waiting passengers

This set of passengers are typically not interested in the offerings of these rest places. Well, except for, maybe, water or some light snack, they purchase nothing. Instead, they loiter the premises while waiting for the resumption of their journey.

The Main Restaurants

The restaurants offer different kinds of cooked meals and snacks. Typically, in order to lure patronage, they provide free toilet facilities for stopover passengers. They also have seats for passengers who are waiting to resume their trips, and who might not necessarily be interested in patronizing the restaurants for food or drinks.

The oversubscribed toilets

The toilets in the restaurant entertain great patronage from the visitors. The most active are often the female toilets.

The Delaying Or Missing Passenger

This set of passengers seem to believe that they have all day to rest at these rest places. When everyone has reconvened in the vehicle for departure, they are always nowhere to be found. A search party would then be constituted to locate them and to remind them that that the rest area is not their final destinations.

https://autojosh.com/stop-over-restaurants-along-inter-state-expressways-10-things-you-would-observe-there/

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by youngscholar(m): 2:14pm On Jul 11, 2018
Photographers grin

Paparazzi grin
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Giddymoney(m): 2:35pm On Jul 11, 2018
grin

I belong to the "waiting passengers"

The missing passengers can be so annoying eh

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by ariyebaba(m): 3:26pm On Jul 11, 2018
Drivers eat free foods

cheesy

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by adejaresalami1(m): 10:42pm On Jul 11, 2018
Na so one suya man at lokoja lured me into tasting a nice warm meat like that and he sold to me spoiled meat .....I no dey ever buy suya inside bus again unless I dey with u for your roast stand.

9 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Aldebaran(m): 6:17am On Jul 12, 2018
Nice
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Iamdmentor1(m): 12:18pm On Jul 12, 2018
Banana and groundnut is what I must buy whenever on a trip. One can get a very huge bunch of banana for N300 if one can bargain well.

That was how I entered into one restaurant one day at Ore. The cleaner was extremely caring and showed me so much hospitality. He guided me to the rest room, told me to wash my hands with one soap (I refused.. this is Nigeria). When I was done he was looking at me awkwardly. I also was looking at him then he said "bros na wa for you o... Find me small thing na" I just laughed and left.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Untainted007: 12:18pm On Jul 12, 2018
Don't forget to add that

The driver's food is free in accordance to the number of customers he direct to the food vendor. With better assorted meats while passengers foods are rationalised to compensate the driver.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by neezar: 12:21pm On Jul 12, 2018
I belong to the banana and groundnut group

if u dey here......can u just hit the like button cheesy cheesy

42 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by soberdrunk(m): 12:22pm On Jul 12, 2018
The scammers posing as "Evangelists---- They will walk up to you telling how great you are and how Jesus will use you to heal the world and before you know it you have paid #500 for a book you will never read, meet them the following week and they will use the same lines on you and try to make you buy the same book again....... angry

5 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Deseyn: 12:22pm On Jul 12, 2018
Aldebaran:

Nice

2 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by 7abibi(m): 12:23pm On Jul 12, 2018
your head dey there
ariyebaba:
Drivers eat free foods

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by joenor(m): 12:24pm On Jul 12, 2018
Ore Road.

2 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by ChiefOkafor(f): 12:24pm On Jul 12, 2018
All these you only get using road transport. That's why I travel by air.

2 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Nwakannaya1: 12:24pm On Jul 12, 2018
Team waiting and loitering passengers grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by samuelchimmy(m): 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2018
Autojosh you mean business gan, well-done bro You are definitely not a lazy Nigerian

16 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by urbanemind(m): 12:26pm On Jul 12, 2018
70% of d time, the Missing Passenger is a Woman...

10 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 12, 2018
Pocohantas is usually the delaying passenger because she can't use the loo if she doesn't run on a spot for 20 minutes. Did I just hear you say weirdo? Yeah...I know.

1 Like

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by 2lateBiafra: 12:31pm On Jul 12, 2018
ASHAWO waiting for thier CLIENTS............!

1 Like

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by bsani(m): 12:34pm On Jul 12, 2018
Watch New Latest Trending Funny Comedy On Youtube, Instagram And Facebook Just Search For 3starcomedy
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by BabaIbo: 12:34pm On Jul 12, 2018
Nice
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 12, 2018
Waiting passengers mostly women

They will be waiting around the bus the moment everyone starts coming out to enter the bus they will then go in to buy something or pee
Very annoying sets of peeps

2 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by chloride6: 12:36pm On Jul 12, 2018
ORE!!!
grin

7 Likes

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by dierich: 12:38pm On Jul 12, 2018
autojosh:

Traveling by road could be very exhausting. It also comes with a great deal of discomfort – especially when you are traveling in a compact commercial vehicle.

During such trips, there are always requests, by passengers, for the vehicle to stop for an opportunity to pee, or to stretch one’s legs, or simply to survive claustrophobia.

Often, and due to security concerns, drivers of commercial vehicles prefer making these occasional stops only at designated rest areas. These rest areas, or stopover restaurants – situated along major inter-state expressways – offer drivers and passengers facilities that enable them to rest, eat, or refuel without any security concern.

These rest areas are typically a beehive of activities. However, certain elements are peculiar to most of them.

Autojosh presents, “Stop-Over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe There”.

The DJ/Music Vendor

As soon as you drive into these rest areas, the high volume sounds blasting from huge speakers gets your immediate attention. These speakers belong to the resident DJ/DVD sellers. As many audio materials are played within minutes, in anticipation that one of them would win the interest of the passengers during the brief moments they would be resting from traveling fatigue.

The fruit sellers

At these rest areas, you find – on display for sale – different types of fruits that are in season. These fresh fruits are typically appealing to the senses. However, if you think that because you are in a rural setup, then you would get these fruits cheap, then you are in for a shocker. The fruit sellers in such places tend to believe that travelers are moneyed people. Their price offers for these fruits are mostly unfriendly to the pocket – costing far more than they are sold in urban setups. However, with a good bargaining skill, you can acquire some of the fruits.

The “Mai Suya”

As soon as you disembark from your vehicle, to elicit your interest, they offer you a small piece of suya, typically on stick. This antic is necessary in order to lure you to their barbecue stand. They are the “mai suyas” or or Suya sellers

Sometimes, you wonder how they make profit, after giving out so much samples of suya to countless number of travelers, many of whom do not eventually patronize them.

The Newspaper vendor

Journeys could be boring. So passengers look for every opportunity to kill boredom during the trips. The newspaper vendor understand this. So, they set up shops at these rest places.

The paparazzi

These are some young people who are equipped with some camera. These cameras are typically some out-of-dated, low megapixel Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony camera, etc.

They harass passengers with a proposal to “take them picture”. Peace will elude you during your brief stay at these rest areas unless you firmly decline the proposal of these paparazzi.

Beggars

They are all over the premises. They move from one passengers to the other. They carry out a campaign designed to either emotionally blackmail you for money – or to trade prayers for money.

The Good Samaritans

These set of people – mostly women –approach passengers with printed documents. These documents are made available to prove to passengers that they are certified to collect donations on behalf of some vague orphanage or motherless babies’ home.

The waiting passengers

This set of passengers are typically not interested in the offerings of these rest places. Well, except for, maybe, water or some light snack, they purchase nothing. Instead, they loiter the premises while waiting for the resumption of their journey.

The Main Restaurants

The restaurants offer different kinds of cooked meals and snacks. Typically, in order to lure patronage, they provide free toilet facilities for stopover passengers. They also have seats for passengers who are waiting to resume their trips, and who might not necessarily be interested in patronizing the restaurants for food or drinks.

The oversubscribed toilets

The toilets in the restaurant entertain great patronage from the visitors. The most active are often the female toilets.

The Delaying Or Missing Passenger

This set of passengers seem to believe that they have all day to rest at these rest places. When everyone has reconvened in the vehicle for departure, they are always nowhere to be found. A search party would then be constituted to locate them and to remind them that that the rest area is not their final destinations.

https://autojosh.com/stop-over-restaurants-along-inter-state-expressways-10-things-you-would-observe-there/

I think I know this restaurant
should be either Benin or Delta
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by chloride6: 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2018
Untainted007:
Don't forget to add that

The driver's food is free in accordance to the number of customers he direct to the food vendor. With better assorted meats while passengers foods are rationalised to compensate the driver.

Company pays for the driver's food
Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by stagger: 12:41pm On Jul 12, 2018
I never eat food on journeys. Ever since I got pressed from Ore all the way to Lagos after eating somewhere in Ughelli, and had to drop at the massive dump site to poo at Ojota.

I am a lot wiser for it now. Safest bet for me is banana and groundnut.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop-over Restaurants Along Inter-state Expressways: 10 Things You Would Observe by otabaotaba: 12:41pm On Jul 12, 2018
I never eat on the road while traveling to avoid eating snake and other unwanted animals

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Nairalandler’s Trip Back To The U.S / Policeman Caused Death Of My Brother In Accident In Warri - Man Cries Out (Pics) / How To Pass The Interview For America Visa Lottery Winners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.