Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,902 members, 7,817,674 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal (6582 Views)

Earth Receives Signal From Galaxy 9 Billion Light Years Away ( Pics) / Nigerian Men Fabricate Sound Proof Noise Cancellation Box For Generator (vid) / How Can I Use My Laptop As A TV, And Also Connect It With Gotv? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by qwertygeni: 10:29pm On Jul 11, 2018
I observed that everytime I switched on my generating set ( petrol engine 2700 V), my GOTV signal gets scrambled. May I also say that the GOTV cable and generator wire are not close. However, the position of the generator is like 6ft perpendicular to the foot of the GOTV antenna. These positions of the antenna and gen had been like this for more than 3 years now without such observation previously recorded until some couple of weeks back.

I tried moving the gen set more distance away from the foot of the antenna but the signal still scrambles at some point in time. Even when Phcn restores power and I switched over to Phcn power while the gen is still running, the signal still breaks.

Please, has anyone experienced this before? What is the likely cause/ principle? What is the solution to this at the level of the gen ?
P. S. Please do not advice that I should relocate either the gen or antenna .

Thank you.

Cc. Mynd44
Cc. Lalasticlala
Cc. Seun
Cc. obinoscopy

2 Likes

Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 11, 2018

1 Like

Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by orbgoblin: 11:08pm On Jul 11, 2018
it's called impulse interference. check ur decoder cabling to be sure it's screwed in properly. normally there isn't much you can do about it. but checking your cable is usually helpful.

1 Like

Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by pimpchi(m): 11:45pm On Jul 11, 2018
My brother, no be only you dey reason am o..... D thing tire me too.

1 Like

Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by meobizy(f): 4:46am On Jul 12, 2018
I believe it's sound waves or the vibration of air from your generator's operation that's causing the interference. Something also is weakening over time -- I'm suspecting your antenna's receiver.

2 Likes

Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by qwertygeni: 3:02pm On Jul 12, 2018
pimpchi:
My brother, no be only you dey reason am o..... D thing tire me too.

So, how have you been handling the situation.
Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by qwertygeni: 3:04pm On Jul 12, 2018
orbgoblin:
it's called impulse interference. check ur decoder cabling to be sure it's screwed in properly. normally there isn't much you can do about it. but checking your cable is usually helpful.
meobizy:
I believe it's sound waves or the vibration of air from your generator's operation that's causing the interference. Something also is weakening over-time -- I'm suspecting your antenna's receiver.

Thanks for your responses. More opinions are welcome.
Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Nobody: 8:23am On Oct 14, 2018
Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 30, 2019
Umare:
hi men.what's up?
I've got no access to my mail.can we talk here?
Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 30, 2019
Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 30, 2019
Umare:

sorry for disturbing you
just wondering if you could help me with airtime of any amount
Sorry Bro,not in Nigeria at the moment.
Also,being philantropic is something I never do.
I appreciate the gesture though,thanks.
Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 30, 2019
nwanneni:
Sorry Bro,not in Nigeria at the moment. Also,being philantropic is something I never do. I appreciate the gesture though,thanks.
okay boss sorry for wasting your time.
Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 30, 2019
Umare:

okay boss
sorry for wasting your time.
thanks Bro,I appreciate.
Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Brendaniel: 11:30am On Jun 01, 2019
qwertygeni:
I observed that everytime I switched on my generating set ( petrol engine 2700 V), my GOTV signal gets scrambled. May I also say that the GOTV cable and generator wire are not close. However, the position of the generator is like 6ft perpendicular to the foot of the GOTV antenna. These positions of the antenna and gen had been like this for more than 3 years now without such observation previously recorded until some couple of weeks back.

I tried moving the gen set more distance away from the foot of the antenna but the signal still scrambles at some point in time. Even when Phcn restores power and I switched over to Phcn power while the gen is still running, the signal still breaks.

Please, has anyone experienced this before? What is the likely cause/ principle? What is the solution to this at the level of the gen ?

Thank you.

Cc. Mynd44
Cc. Lalasticlala
Cc. Seun
Cc. obinoscopy

Hello, there is little or nothing you can do about it, it happens to me too, but there is a solution, firstly the problem here is the electromagnetic wave that is produced by the generator coil, the bigger your gen the more the wave which is also a frequency, the frequency then causes an interference with your gotv frequency and then it goes off, in my case I live close to a major road, when big trucks passes by, the signal goes off and then comes back, but when small cars pass it might just pause a bit and then continue, that's because of the difference in the size of their engines and coils built in them.

Solution
If you have an external antenna or buy one if you don't, I mean the remote controlled type that turns 360° connect it to the gotv( make sure it's as high as you can get if you don't live in an upstairs, put your decoder in the signal strength, use the antenna remote control to turn the antenna till you get 100% or the best it can be and you're good to go, it worked for me in a very remote area in ogun state, I hope it works for you...

Also note that Gotv signal strength fluctuates from time to time, however this method will keep it a lot more stable....

2 Likes

Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Uthomere: 3:23pm On May 21, 2020
Please due to the fluctuation of the gotv when my generator set is on, what's could be the possible solution, please urgent help?
Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Faithful007: 9:46am On May 22, 2020
it happens when your outdoor antenna is in close proximity with your generator

1 Like

Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Olateinde: 8:30pm On Jul 07, 2021
Please I am facing the same issue right now and it's annoying

1 Like

Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by SirDandy: 8:16pm On May 19, 2022
It's very annoying, I'm also experiencing this now... Can I use a DSTV antenna(Dish) to connect a GOTV decoder?
Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Valto(m): 11:25pm On May 22, 2022
replace your generator plug cap. thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by faruvc: 7:02am On May 23, 2022

Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Penuelseun(m): 3:18pm On May 23, 2022
SirDandy:
It's very annoying, I'm also experiencing this now... Can I use a DSTV antenna(Dish) to connect a GOTV decoder?
No, you can't
Re: Pls How Does Generator Noise Cause Interference With GOTV Signal by Blakjewelry(m): 5:56pm On May 23, 2022
qwertygeni:

Thank you.

Cc. Mynd44
Cc. Lalasticlala
Cc. Seun
Cc. obinoscopy
It is called electromagnetic interference popularly called e.m.f, it always produce when a coil rotate in a magnetic field in your case your generator. Increase the distance between the two, an external antenna will do

(1) (Reply)

Compaq Hp Presario M2000 For Sale 38,000 / Latest: How To Activate GLO 1GB Night Plan For Just N200 / Www.gmail.com - Gmail Registration Sign Up,create Gmail Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.