Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job (2007 Views)

SIWES/I.T Students Zone / Attention! A Challenging And Professional Business Develpment Job. / Attention! A Challenging Professional Business Development Job. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job by mimohmi(m): 1:35am On Jan 04, 2006
Hi,
It might appear funny, i am Lieutenant Commander Mohammed (Rtd). I need a job
in any IT department of any firm. I have a BSc in Mathematics from the Nigerian Defence
Academy and a number of certification from Sun Microsystems Inc. like
Sun Certified Java Programmer for J2SE 1.4, Sun Certified Java Associate for J2SE platforms and Sun Certified Web Component Developer. I am also a Linux freak, as per Software development and Hardware configuration on Linux.
Presently, am working on a personal project that will enable Linux user in Nigeria to connect
to the web using CDMA phone.
So, looking forward for any response, money isn't a priority right now.
Can be reached on 018502784 and at mimoh_mi@yahoo.com
ciao.
Re: Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job by sbucareer(f): 1:05pm On Jan 04, 2006

Hello Muhammed,

Happy New Year.  Erm, before I start I'd like to know your particular area of interest.  You mentioned Java and Linux emphasising your skills with series of cert. 

Are you working for any organisation? or Who was your last employer?  I am asking these questions as to give you my opinion on challenging Jobs in IT.

As you well mentioned in your write-up as a Mathematician embarking career in IT, you are in the better position to BSc Computer Science but not necessary better.  Anyway,  As you must have gathered Java is just a tool for developing suits of Applications like:

1. Standalone application
2. Distributed Enterprise Application
3. Network and Mobile Communication Application
3. Games and AWT apps (Abstract Window Toolkit)
4. Internet Application (HTTP, FTP, SSH, GOPHER etc)
5. Wireless Apps etc

You said your are developing a Linux application for Mobile communication using CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access), a technology for digital transmission of radio signals between, for example, a mobile telephone and a radio base station.

With these I would place you in my list category of 3 (Network and Mobile Communication Application developer).  With Linux environment you are better off developing for Enterprise Application.   And don’t sell it, licence it per number of users and make sure you can detect how many users are using your application by using auto update you know what I am saying.

I am a software Consultant in United Kingdom.  I have worked in many projects like SAP, Enterprise system development i.e. capital investment banking, Enterprise infrastructure deployment using these tools C++, Java Perl and Cobol.  My last and new hobby now is system termination, integration and migration.  And again don’t limit your tool to just java.  Linux provides many programming tool like C, Perl, Shell, python and C++.  Try and learn other tool with your amount of intelligence it will not take you more than two weeks to learn these tools.

If you are going solo and wanting advice this is what you’d to do.  If you have access to dedicated Internet at home if not try VSAT, you could even supply surrounding friends and family and charge them to make your money, like your own ISP (Internet Service Provider) it is very easy to setup, google Internet and download materials on howto.  Once you have dedicated Internet at home host your own web server you can even charge people to host their site.  Make sure you use free software. You should be familiar with Open Source Software (OSS) since you use Linux.  Secure and lock down you Linux only open port 80 and shutdown telnet, ftp etc. If you need remote login use SSH (Secure SHell).  Develop your website and use paypal to collect you money for the time been till you become big to handle e-commerce i.e. credit cards.  I will stop now, but I will write again when I hear from you. Good Luck

1 Like

Re: Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job by roundy: 3:17pm On Jan 05, 2006
sbucareer:

Hello Muhammed,

Happy New Year. Erm.. before I start I'd like to know your particular area of interest. You mentioned Java and Linux emphasising your skills with series of cert.

Are you working for any organisation? or Who was your last employer? I am asking these questions as to give you my opinion on challenging Jobs in IT.

As you well mentioned in your write-up as a Mathematician embarking career in IT, you are in the better position to BSc Computer Science but not necessary better. Anyway, As you must have gathered Java is just a tool for developing suits of Applications like:

1. Standalone application
2. Distributed Enterprise Application
3. Network and Mobile Communication Application
3. Games and AWT apps (Abstract Window Toolkit)
4. Internet Application (HTTP, FTP, SSH, GOPHER etc)
5. Wireless Apps etc

You said your are developing a Linux application for Mobile communication using CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access), a technology for digital transmission of radio signals between, for example, a mobile telephone and a radio base station.

With these I would place you in my list category of 3 (Network and Mobile Communication Application developer). With Linux environment you are better off developing for Enterprise Application. And don’t sell it, licence it per number of users and make sure you can detect how many users are using your application by using auto update you know what I am saying.

I am a software Consultant in United Kingdom. I have worked in many projects like SAP, Enterprise system development i.e. capital investment banking, Enterprise infrastructure deployment using these tools C++, Java Perl and Cobol. My last and new hobby now is system termination, integration and migration. And again don’t limit your tool to just java. Linux provides many programming tool like C, Perl, Shell, python and C++. Try and learn other tool with your amount of intelligence it will not take you more than two weeks to learn these tools.

If you are going solo and wanting advice this is what you’d to do. If you have access to dedicated Internet at home if not try VSAT, you could even supply surrounding friends and family and charge them to make your money, like your own ISP (Internet Service Provider) it is very easy to setup, google Internet and download materials on howto. Once you have dedicated Internet at home host your own web server you can even charge people to host their site. Make sure you use free software. You should be familiar with Open Source Software (OSS) since you use Linux. Secure and lock down you Linux only open port 80 and shutdown telnet, ftp etc. If you need remote login use SSH (Secure SHell). Develop your website and use paypal to collect you money for the time been till you become big to handle e-commerce i.e. credit cards. I will stop now, but I will write again when I hear from you. Good Luck

Dude, you are amazing. Am in IT here in Nigeria for a UK Firm would like to discuss IT related issues with you further.
HAPPY NEWYEAR
Re: Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job by sbucareer(f): 5:51pm On Jan 05, 2006

roundy,

Happy New Year too, what would you like to discuss? 
Re: Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job by mimohmi(m): 9:41pm On Jan 05, 2006
[size=8pt]Hi sbucareer,
Thanks for the concern. My main area of interest for now, is developing Enterprise solutions because my
strong points include JSP, Servlets, developing custom tags, JDBC,JNDI and J2EE compliant web containers like Tomcat. However, it does't i can't do standalone java applications. Right now i preparing for Sun Business Component Developer exams. What this means is that i doing my hands on with EJBs. On the linux aspect, i am just a linux freek, infact i develope all my applications using my linux box, my experience dated back to the days of Redhat 6.0. What's the future ? I intend to go into wireless applications using the java wireless API.
[/size]
On the issue of my project, it actually started, when i called my service provider for assistance in connecting my linux box using
the CDMA phone, and i was told that linux support was not available. So i had to go finding how. So, it just 3 scripts project. But,
with your advice, i extending it to developing a GUI, that will do the whole stuff. I know it going to take about the next 2 months,
i should be able to get it out.
Once more, thanks for the million dollar advice, and wish you a blissful and error free new year.
Re: Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job by sbucareer(f): 12:17am On Jan 06, 2006

Ok, you are man (EJB Enterprise Java Bean), that is cool.  Most of EJB gurus I know work for SAP or ABAP/4 (SAP is the name of the biggest European software company) If you are going to go solo you don’t necessary need to learn all these Enterprise applications i.e. Servlet, JSP, JNDI, JDBC CORBA etc.  it would yield fruitless but if your ambition is to work for big software company learning Enterprise Application is just one component you will also need to learn business methods i.e. business analyst, you would also need to learn developing software life cycle using one of the many methodologies i.e SSADM. XP, Prototyping, SDM etc. You would also know how to plan business inception to deployment.

Another alternative is to become system programmer, which is very tedious and displacing.  One person can NEVER develop Enterprise Application.  It needs business professionals from different business function to provide specification requirements. i.e. Let say we are developing Enterprise Application for Nigeria defence,  We need to understand their business function like, marine, airforce,  solider, payroll, training, recruitment, store, procurement, allotment, food supply, medicine, scientist, students etc.  One person can never understands all these business functions and mind you enterprise application is typically a software application hosted on an application server which simultaneously provides services to a large number of users, and share a collective resource of the organisation typically over a computer network. This is in contrast to the more common single-user software applications, which run on the user's own local computer, and serve only one user at a time. It could be said that ES (Enterprise System) is the  system that lets upper management view the organization’s as one Entity.

Finally, to your project why connect to ISP with a Mobile phone it is very expensive and you can only get like data rate for a single full rate channel (Bm) the specs support data rates at 9600, 4800, 2400 , but no other simultaneous use. I.e. using a data-rate of 4800 baud does not leave any spare capacity for use at the same time.

If it is for business use many mobile application now have Internet access.  Anyway, good luck with your project.  Linux is for resource intensive apps i.e. servers and is not advisable to connect a Linux to the internet.  Create a backbone infrastructure  and connect you Linux box from a switch and program the switch to accept and drop packets i.e. allow only internal packets and put a firewall from you ISP to Cisco router even further put a proxy server to secure your critical systems.

1 Like

Re: Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job by mimohmi(m): 4:26am On Jan 06, 2006
Thanks for the advice so far, but what do you think is the best way forward, considering my present situation. Do i have to abandon the project, since it's likely nobody is ever going to need it. As for my career in IT, which area, do you think i should focus on, am a fast leaner, it takes me an average of a month to learn anything i set my mind on and probarbely an extra 2 months to master it to an acceptable level. Because at 33, time waits for nobody.
I would like to inform you that i really appreciate your effort . This is the best i have ever gotten ap per career issue.
Re: Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job by sbucareer(f): 4:35pm On Jan 06, 2006

mimoh_mi, I will ask you this.  Are you planning to leave the country any time soon or in the future?  If the answer is yes then continue studying.  I don't know about software industry in Nigeria.  As an ex-military, you would have inside info regarding the system they use if any.  Normally enterprise systems are used by big organisations like MOD (Minister Of Defence), banks, Sock Exchange, Railway industry, School, Shell, petroleum corps and government organisation.  You could also use your knowledge to develop small enterprise system apps like ebay and other related apps.

Like you mentioned that you are studying the SCBCD, this cert is all about business components.  You will be asked a lot about business requirements related questions that has nothing to do with IT.  Here in the UK , this cert puts you among the elite of potential business component developer.  Lot of jobs for you here,  least with 1-2 years experience.  I could not say more about Nigeria as their software industry if any, am not aware.

I have been developing Enterprise application for 5 years now, I started with J2EE and my firm now has adopted .NET 2.0 as their Enterprise platform.  I have worked with COBRA, which was my first distributed application development.  It you are looking for project goto http://www.getafreelancer.com/.  If you are good you can get real money and challenging project and that will reinforce your ability in software development.

I have a project on my mind relating to Enterprise application, particularly Nigerians and African customers.  It’s to do with integrating all the technologies in Nigeria today into one virtual environment.  If you are interested drop me some lines I will post the requirement specification.
Re: Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job by mimohmi(m): 8:37pm On Jan 07, 2006
Waz up pal. I do appreciate you questions. About leaving Nigeria soon, yes, my family are in Ireland, though are in Nigeria, right now. But, what is keeping here ? Seriously, i see great opening in software development in Nigeria. Apart from Nationalist pride, i strongly believe
that the earlier one gets himself ready is better.
As for the project, i am highly interested. wouldn't mind if you can send me the spec. I will be
willing to put in at 6hrs everyday for now and say 12 hrs after my SCBCD in mid Feb. If i remember saying i do teach Java Tech in one IT School, here in lagos. So based on your last advice, i have decided to get something up. Host a site myself, is definitely out of the question, cause of power problems. So i have just set up a blogger. Please, try and have a look at
it, http://www.javaden..com. So, expecting to hear from you my guiding angel.
Re: Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job by pojutime(m): 4:52pm On Jan 24, 2006
Hello Guys,

I am really amazed reading this thread. To imagine that there are such talented and skilled IT pros in Nigeria- I am really impressed. U know i am still a student and I have a flair for computing and IT. Seeing you guys talk really encourages me especially the militayr guy who holds the certs i Plan to acquire- Well Done!

I will contact you guys soon. Thanks for the enlightenment. am currently on PHP.

Cheers
Re: Looking For A Challenging I.T. Job by jebrills(m): 9:54pm On Mar 23, 2006
Hello,
Am so impressed and bewildered as per what i am reading about you guys.Who says that Nigerians are not coming up in the softwares industry.I work in an IT firm as a network engineer STC ELINEX, www.elinex.net. I had been trying to understand Linux platform and this had beena hustle for me.The reason is that as an ISP, most our routers are linux based.Understanding the configuration or how it works is a problem. the scripting and u name it.Please i would be very grateful if i can get directions as to how i can understand this very well.

I would not even mind if i get a tutorial from u and if it is for payment i shall do that although i know that u may be preparing for your exams.I use redhat 9.0 and i always prefer the GUI but i feel that for one to be more resourceful using the command line interface is more power.What do u think?The Linux was configured as a DNS, gateway, firewall and as an interface with a radio?But i love to know these things plz i need your help in this areas. my email is jebrills_jevic@yahoo.co.uk i hope to hear from u guys soon bye

(1) (Reply)

Any Idea About Diamondbank Entry Level Pay Please? / Who Know Esut Site? / Mtn Test Format

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.