Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Be The Man To Make It Right - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Be The Man To Make It Right (1312 Views)

Funny Picture Of The Man That Created Exams / Photo Of The Man By Name Julius Berger Who Built Our Bridges (photos) / Pix : Meet The Man Who Invented/Started Examination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be The Man To Make It Right by carpenter(m): 12:10pm On Mar 26, 2007
Well, I came across this piece i wrote some years ago and would like to share it with you all. I had some problems figuring out which section to post this so pardon me if i am in the wrong place.

This was written on Tuesday, 8 Nov 2005 in reaction to an article that was posted on Omo-Oduduwa@yahoogroups.com decrying the high level of cultism in the country and associating it with the fact that students don't have much to do and asserting that this is the reason why they engage in cultism.

I am commenting about this because of the phrase 'because these students are less busy'. I graduated from a university in this country about two years ago September 2003 and I ask anyone to challenge me that there wasn't much to do. It all comes down to family background, the society and all there is that influences us. In a society where even adults chase themselves with cutlasses and guns, I ask, what do we expect from their children? My father once involved me in a discussion about cultism and I was not timid to put it up to him that we have all these problems because their generation has failed us. He was puzzled and asked why? The answer simply is that they have been young adults like us (followers), they have ruled this nation and if I am not mistaken they are still ruling this country. In a more simple sentence, all revolves around them!

I have a little story to tell. My Sensei told me this story; I can't remember where he got it from and would try to make it brief and straight to the point. It goes thus:

[b]A particular Dad had a very restless son, the dad was to deliver a speech at a conference that afternoon and didn't have a topic to talk on yet. He knew he needed time to think (brainstorm) but not with this boy around, the boy was just too restless. Accidentally he saw a magazine with a globe of the world in it, he tore that page into little pieces and asked the boy to put them together (thinking that would give him enough time to work on his speech). Not too long after he stepped into the study, the boy came in with all the pieces in the right places! How did you do it so fast the father asked? Well, said the boy, I found it difficult to find which part of the puzzle belongs where, so I turned one piece over and discovered that there was a picture of a man at the back. I also noticed it in some of the other pieces too and figured it was going to be much simpler to put the man together than the globe. So I placed a sheet of paper on the floor, put the man together, placed another sheet on the man and then reversed the papers top to bottom. The father at that time knew exactly what to talk about: 'Put the Man right and the World would be a better place.'[/b]

Now… I don't know what the origin of this story is but I guess the point is made; to make Nigeria, Africa or the World better, lets start from ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: Be The Man To Make It Right by Kadata(m): 7:33pm On Sep 08, 2010
Yeah. You got a point. Anybody who thinks Nigerian students don't 'have much to do' should become one.
Re: Be The Man To Make It Right by ernie4life(m): 9:16am On Jan 11, 2015
nice one
Re: Be The Man To Make It Right by Ups01(m): 8:09pm On Feb 21, 2017
Oga at the Top #Wehdonsir

(1) (Reply)

Re: Jamb 2007/2008 Is Out(off topic) / Post Graduate Diploma Schools / Study Free In Finland, Denmark, Sweden , Czech & Slovakia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.