Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,818 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? (2885 Views)

Imagine A World Without Christmas / The Only Country In The World Without A Single Church / Perfect Religion: Why Do Some Pastors Emphasise Mala. 3:10 More Than James 1:27? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Teaser4(m): 10:35pm On Jul 12, 2018
I wouldn’t really care if the person next to me believed in a religion, but religion is quite useless if you ask me.

There are several countries like Sweden and the Netherlands where good portion of the population do not believe in the existence of god, and these two countries are one of the happiest countries out there, with great scientific and technological innovations.

Religion itself don’t really serve much purpose anymore. The ethics written on many sacred writings are either flawed, ambiguous, contradicting, and/or plain wrong. With globalization, this is even more apparent. People arguing about which religion is true is nonsensical.

However, as someone who strongly believe in scientific method, statistics does say that religion helps mental health to a minor degree. This should, however, not be exaggerated as their effect is not spectacularly good. There’s all these answers below that believes religion can make one’s mental health from the bottom of the hell all the way up to heaven or something. This is not true, and for those who think it does by personal experience, probably is an optimistic person to begin with (possibly unconsciously), even if they share a story about “how depressed they were”. Religion only very slightly ease mental pain, and the other side-effects of religion pretty much negates their advantage.

In reality, religion don’t help at all. People die everyday. People go to war. People commit suicide. People fight for their religion. Poverty exists. What have religion done for them? Pray? And yet, there are some people saying “god is giving them a mission”. Well, I hope they burn in hell because that is plain evil. You don’t create unreasonable evil on purpose. Moreover, people die with that.

Religion has shown its flaws and they are on a decline. Increasingly more people are becoming atheists and agnostics, although they are still a minority today. They are not much more useful than believing in spirits and ghosts.

People should use their time rationally thinking about science and how to make the world a better place than using that time praying and thinking about gods.

cc lalasticlala
OAM4J
cc seun
source: Quora

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by CodeTemplar: 10:47pm On Jul 12, 2018
Religion is all about the unseen but needs analogy to communicate the laws of the unseen world.
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Slamjamz22(m): 11:05pm On Jul 12, 2018
An average Nigerian is religious... smh ��
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Madara713(m): 11:27pm On Jul 12, 2018
Well scientific studies has shown religion is beneficial for society, for example;

1.A meta-analysis found that religion deters crime. (If You Love Me, Keep My Commandments: A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Religion on Crime. 2001)

2. Another study found that religion helps in the treatment of the physical health of cancer patients. (Religion, Spirituality, and Physical Health in Cancer Patients: A Meta-Analysis)

3. While one study also found that intrinsic religousity correlates positively with mental health, alturism. (The Religious Orientation Scale: Review and Meta- Analysis of Social Desirability Effects. 1997)

4. Lastly, a 2003 meta-analysis also found strong correlations between religiosity and mental health. (Religiosity and Mental Health: A Meta-Analysis of Recent Studies. 2003)

5. Other studies has also found that intrinsic religousity reduces sucide and decreases divorce.
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by lekjons(m): 12:02am On Jul 13, 2018
complicated!
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by budaatum: 12:22am On Jul 13, 2018
A world without religion would be a world without people. For as long as people exist, they will create 'cultural systems of designated behaviors and practices, world views, texts, sanctified places, prophecies, ethics, or organizations, that relates humanity to supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual elements'.

The only way to eliminate 'designated behaviors and practices, world views, texts, sanctified places, prophecies, ethics, or organizations', would be to eliminate humanity itself so that no one exists to consider anything to be 'supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual'. After all animals don't seem to spend time on those things.

Human existence however is way too interesting for me to wish to eliminate myself, or other people, for that matter. So, religion is something I'll put up with, I'm afraid, as it helps humans to transcend.
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Teaser4(m): 4:48am On Jul 13, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Religion is all about the unseen but needs analogy to communicate the laws of the unseen world.
brother can you type English please

2 Likes

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Teaser4(m): 4:51am On Jul 13, 2018
Slamjamz22:
An average Nigerian is religious... smh ��
yea bro, right from the womb sef. they load the crap in is since childhood...come imagine say your papa na pastor like mine...it was hell. though I enjoyed cos, I was deep and won so many bible quizzes while growing up. but the voices in my head didnt leave,it all started when I observed the bible was like a story book...I'm not an atheist, but I'm not Christian either, not following any religion atm. I'm doing just fine

6 Likes

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Teaser4(m): 4:53am On Jul 13, 2018
Madara713:
Well scientific studies has shown religion is beneficial for society, for example;

1.A meta-analysis found that religion deters crime. (If You Love Me, Keep My Commandments: A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Religion on Crime. 2001)

2. Another study found that religion helps in the treatment of the physical health of cancer patients. (Religion, Spirituality, and Physical Health in Cancer Patients: A Meta-Analysis)

3. While one study also found that intrinsic religousity correlates positively with mental health, alturism. (The Religious Orientation Scale: Review and Meta- Analysis of Social Desirability Effects. 1997)

4. Lastly, a 2003 meta-analysis also found strong correlations between religiosity and mental health. (Religiosity and Mental Health: A Meta-Analysis of Recent Studies. 2003)

5. Other studies has also found that intrinsic religousity reduces sucide and decreases divorce.
do you read my post. name any meaningful contribution to our dear country Nigeria, ever the white monkey missionary brought their god. you don't want me to list cons sha, cos its crystal

1 Like

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Teaser4(m): 4:55am On Jul 13, 2018
lekjons:
complicated!
yes bro, but I believe in African religion due to some encounter have had with it. I won't say more on that. if you know you know
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by alBHAGDADI: 7:08am On Jul 13, 2018
Teaser4:
I wouldn’t really care if the person next to me believed in a religion, but religion is quite useless if you ask me.

There are several countries like Sweden and the Netherlands where good portion of the population do not believe in the existence of god, and these two countries are one of the happiest countries out there, with great scientific and technological innovations.

Those countries will soon face their destruction forb rejecting their Creator.

See what Jesus said about such countries who rejected God, charted their own course and believe they are enjoying peace.

1 Thessalonians 5:3 New King James Version (NKJV)

For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then
sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.

Don't you all ever think Satan is the reason why religious nations often suffer a lot?

Daniel 7:21-22

I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them;

Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by CodeTemplar: 7:18am On Jul 13, 2018
Teaser4:
brother can you type English please
Religion is all about the spiritual and it is an unseen world. People now take religion to be futile exercises.
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Madara713(m): 8:21am On Jul 13, 2018
Teaser4:
do you read my post. name any meaningful contribution to our dear country Nigeria, ever the white monkey missionary brought their god. you don't want me to list cons sha, cos its crystal

Couple of things

1. Yes I read ur post and never once did u mention or restrict this discussion to nigeria. You spoke about the world.

2. "white monkey missionary brought their god"? Hmm, are you referring to christianity? So ur question about a "world without religion" actually meant a nigeria without christianity or something?

3. I would rather have u list the scientific studies to support your position.
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Teaser4(m): 9:35am On Jul 13, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Religion is all about the spiritual and it is an unseen world. People now take religion to be futile exercises.
according to the bible, jesus came in to this world, and he was killed and resurrected, that's no longer spiritual bro. the only spirituality I know and I have experienced is African religion. orthodox ain't real bro, just some words and nothing. which explains why some mog go seek spiritual powers from the other side

1 Like

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Teaser4(m): 9:36am On Jul 13, 2018
alBHAGDADI:
Those countries will soon face their destruction forb rejecting their Creator.

See what Jesus said about such countries who rejected God, charted their own course and believe they are enjoying peace.

1 Thessalonians 5:3 New King James Version (NKJV)

For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then
sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.

Don't you all ever think Satan is the reason why religious nations often suffer a lot?

Daniel 7:21-22

I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them;

Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.
thrash....

1 Like

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by CodeTemplar: 9:39am On Jul 13, 2018
Teaser4:
according to the bible, jesus came in to this world, and he was killed and resurrected, that's no longer spiritual bro. the only spirituality I know and I have experienced is African religion. orthodox ain't real bro, just some words and nothing. which explains why some mog go seek spiritual powers from the other side
If His resurrection was physical where is Jesus today or has He died again?

1 Like

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Teaser4(m): 9:46am On Jul 13, 2018
CodeTemplar:
If His resurrection was physical where is Jesus today or has He died again?
I don't know
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by CodeTemplar: 9:57am On Jul 13, 2018
Teaser4:
I don't know
Then stop talking about what you don't know. His ressurection was of spiritual significance.
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by Teaser4(m): 9:58am On Jul 13, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Then stop talking about what you don't know. His ressurection was of spiritual significance.
lol, I no get your time atm ni... see you soon.
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by CodeTemplar: 9:59am On Jul 13, 2018
Teaser4:
lol, I no get your time atm ni... see you soon.
When you finally have the time, read ur Bible.
Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by budaatum: 10:13am On Jul 13, 2018
alBHAGDADI:

So, nations where god is worshipped suffer a lot because of satan?

And nations that don't worship god are left alone by satan?

If the above applied to humans, I wonder which a smart person would chose to do?

And if it's at all true, what's the point of God then?!

9 Likes

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by sonmvayina(m): 10:17am On Jul 13, 2018
Teaser4:
I don't know

Or, or it is a poorly written and thought story by some uneducated Romans /Greeks who thought they where trying to make people astonish..

Just might be a possibility.

1 Like

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by selfwife(f): 10:29am On Jul 13, 2018
I believe in God but do not know how to worship Him because religion and religious bodies are not balanced and often times seems confused.Adding the fact that the most morally bankrupt people are very religious individuals.

3 Likes

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by vaxx: 11:04am On Jul 13, 2018
Teaser4:

Religion itself don’t really serve much purpose anymore. The ethics written on many sacred writings are either flawed, ambiguous, contradicting, and/or plain wrong. With globalization, this is even more apparent. People arguing about which religion is true is nonsensical.

However, as someone who strongly believe in scientific method, statistics does say that religion helps mental health to a minor degree. This should, however, not be exaggerated as their effect is not spectacularly good. There’s all these answers below that believes religion can make one’s mental health from the bottom of the hell all the way up to heaven or something. This is not true, and for those who think it does by personal experience, probably is an optimistic person to begin with (possibly unconsciously), even if they share a story about “how depressed they were”. Religion only very slightly ease mental pain, and the other side-effects of religion pretty much negates their advantage.

In reality, religion don’t help at all. People die everyday. People go to war. People commit suicide. People fight for their religion. Poverty exists. What have religion done for them? Pray? And yet, there are some people saying “god is giving them a mission”. Well, I hope they burn in hell because that is plain evil. You don’t create unreasonable evil on purpose. Moreover, people die with that.

Religion has shown its flaws and they are on a decline. Increasingly more people are becoming atheists and agnostics, although they are still a minority today. They are not much more useful than believing in spirits and ghosts.

People should use their time rationally thinking about science and how to make the world a better place than using that time praying and thinking about gods.

cc lalasticlala
OAM4J
cc seun
source: Quora
The op is a copy work so i will not blame you much.i will assume you do not know what is religion .religion what is religion? Religion is that by which you can do ultimate good to yourself, others and those involved in between. Now what does that sentence mean ? This defines religion by saying, if there is something that is not just good but ultimately good, that you can do for yourself, others and everything and everyone in between you and others at the same time. That is moral. That is something any one can appreciate.and your thread said we can be fine without it..how possible ?

1 Like

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by RuthlessLeader(m): 11:43am On Jul 13, 2018
vaxx:
The op is a copy work so i will not blame you much.i will assume you do not know what is religion .religion what is religion? Religion is that by which you can do ultimate good to yourself, others and those involved in between. Now what does that sentence mean ? This defines religion by saying, if there is something that is not just good but ultimately good, that you can do for yourself, others and everything and everyone in between you and others at the same time. That is moral. That is something any one can appreciate.and your thread said we can be fine without it..how possible ?
@bolded, Your definition of religion is blatantly wrong. The dictionary defines religion as the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. Just because you want to defend your religion doesn't now mean that you have to make up bullshit( Well I guess it does, since The religion has no observed benefit grin grin.)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by vaxx: 12:23pm On Jul 13, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

@bolded, Your definition of religion is blatantly wrong. The dictionary defines religion as the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. Just because you want to defend your religion doesn't now mean that you have to make up bullshit( Well I guess it does, since The religion has no observed benefit grin grin.)
when you place Shintoism,Buddhism and other few eastern faith into the same definition .you will realize the dictionary you rely upon is limited in scope .

1 Like

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by RuthlessLeader(m): 12:34pm On Jul 13, 2018
vaxx:
when you place Shintoism,Buddhism and other few eastern faith into the same definition .you will realize the dictionary you rely upon is limited in scope .
The same dictionary also defines religion as a particular system of faith and worship. So you are still wrong. Besides:

Shinto is the worship of ancestors and nature spirits and a belief in sacred power ( kami ) in both animate and inanimate things.

Buddhism is a path of practice and spiritual development leading to Insight into the true nature of reality.

Both of these religions do not fit your definition, which was:

vaxx:
what is religion? Religion is that by which you can do ultimate good to yourself, others and those involved in between. Now what does that sentence mean ? This defines religion by saying, if there is something that is not just good but ultimately good, that you can do for yourself, others and everything and everyone in between you and others at the same time. That is moral. That is something any one can appreciate.and your thread said we can be fine without it..how possible ?

1 Like

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by dalaman: 1:35pm On Jul 13, 2018
Vax and his little little lies. . . . . . grin grin

1 Like

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by ScienceWatch: 2:00pm On Jul 13, 2018
Teaser4:

Increasingly more people are becoming atheists and agnostics, although they are still a minority today. They are not much more useful than believing in spirits and ghosts.

You punt yourself as a so-called rational thinker working hard to persuade Christians and other theists to become atheists, yet you fail to see the reason why satanic atheists are still a tiny minority after millions of years.
Wake up sir, go read the deep wisdom in Vaxx's post on religion here.

I can only accept your argument if you claimed that atheists evolved over millions of years from fish to monkey, to now emerge as a tiny treeless minority.
Atheists proudly proclaim to the world that they were once fish… but they can't swim.
Atheists brag that they were once monkey, but they can't climb trees.
To evolve means to do better.

See how this atheist evolved here;
https://www.nairaland.com/4601231/atheist-finds-refuge-peace-christ#69128077

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by ScienceWatch: 2:11pm On Jul 13, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

The same dictionary also defines religion as a particular system of faith and worship. So you are still wrong. Besides:

Shinto is the worship of ancestors and nature spirits and a belief in sacred power ( kami ) in both animate and inanimate things.

Buddhism is a path of practice and spiritual development leading to Insight into the true nature of reality.

Both of these religions do not fit your definition, which was:

Your dumb dumb brain at work again. No wonder you can't understand what the highly esteemed Vaxx is saying so simply here.

You don't learn ruthlessfollower, even the highly esteemed Butterflyleo and Sonofthunder made huge sacrifices to remove the rust from your seized brain. When you take on giants like Vaxx, make sure you have wisdom not puny intellect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by 1Sharon(f): 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2018
Ppl can be mildly religious..just not extreme.

I like Catholics

1 Like

Re: Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? by ScienceWatch: 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2018
vaxx:
Thank you Vaxx, for this refreshing explanation based on experiential reasoning rather than a dead clinical dictionary definition.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are You An Angel ? Let’s Find Out If You Are An Angel In Human Flesh / The Bible And Homosexuality: What Shall We Do? / Angry And Aggressive Atheism - Why ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.