Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Party Invitation That Is Giving Feminists The Equality They Want - Events (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Party Invitation That Is Giving Feminists The Equality They Want (44667 Views)

UNN Lecturer Constructed Wedding Invitation Card Using B.sc Project Format / See Wedding Invitation That Got People Talking / Wedding Invitation Like Movie Poster - Jehova Witness Couple (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Party Invitation That Is Giving Feminists The Equality They Want by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 16, 2018
lexy2014:
yes u can use science 2 tweak nature as seen in cloning, transgender and plastic surgery. But I don't no how a woman will have a baby without a man. D sperm 2 fertilize her egg, where will it come from?

But u have still avoided d question I asked about nature which is "are there things women can do that men can't do based on nature/biology?"
Sorry, the way we address research questions in the academics is different. What else do you expect me to say? I'm used to academic discussions and this is not one. Take care and bye.
Re: Party Invitation That Is Giving Feminists The Equality They Want by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 16, 2018
Daeylar:

How do you feel our society is wired that you feel feminism won't work here?

If you call yourself a rights activist, what does it really mean to be one? Is it the same thing a right activist would fight for that a feminist would fight for?

Would like to know smiley

A human rights activist is a person who is engaged in social or political campaigns against the violation of human rights. I try to promote and protect human rights. Human rights activism is all encompassing.

Femimism on the other hand, is simply the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes. However, let me say the modernized feminist movement is like human rights activism because they fight also for the rights of men and even the queer.

I think feminism is not easy around here because Nigeria is a patriarchal society. In a patriarchal system, men are expected to make all decisions in both society and in their family unit, hold impprtant positions of power and authority, and are considered superior. Its a societal mimdset.
Re: Party Invitation That Is Giving Feminists The Equality They Want by Daeylar(f): 2:59pm On Jul 17, 2018
Hi dear.
Sorry this is late, not so free today, will speak on this better later.

One of my reasons for asking why you preferred to be a humans rights activist rather than be a feminist is this, I wondered if it's because people don't just like to hear about feminism? Could that be a reason?/
candy:

A human rights activist is a person who is engaged in social or political campaigns against the violation of human rights. I try to promote and protect human rights. Human rights activism is all encompassing.

Femimism on the other hand, is simply the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes. However, let me say the modernized feminist movement is like human rights activism because they fight also for the rights of men and even the queer.

I think feminism is not easy around here because Nigeria is a patriarchal society. In a patriarchal system, men are expected to make all decisions in both society and in their family unit, hold impprtant positions of power and authority, and are considered superior. Its a societal mimdset.
Will speak on this last paragraph later in the day.
Re: Party Invitation That Is Giving Feminists The Equality They Want by lexy2014: 4:59pm On Jul 17, 2018
candy:

Sorry, the way we address research questions in the academics is different. What else do you expect me to say? I'm used to academic discussions and this is not one. Take care and bye.
there is a man named Dr. Jeremiah Abalaka. Some 15yesrs ago or so, he announced 2d world that he had found a cure 4 HIV/AIDS. He said he administered his cure on a soldier who got cured. It sent a frenzy in medical circles in Nigeria. People were curious as 2d authenticity of his claims but also excited that a Nigerian had developed a cure 2 this deadly ailment. D Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) stepped in&reached out 2 him, rightly so. They commended his effort but said they can't just accept his claim without verifying it. They asked him 2 furnish them with his protocols as 2 how he arrived at his cure so they could query&test it. Abalaka refused&said if he did, his "cure" would b stolen. With that, d man drifted into oblivion.

D essence of research is 2 provide answers which by extension, provides solution. D answers provided by research are known as theories which help explain y things are d way they are. as a researcher, am sure u are aware that no theory is full proof or exhaustive. 4 any theory 2b said 2b valid, it must b subjected 2d process of verification. It is queried&tested 2 ascertain its verifiability. That's y its said in law that "he who alleges, must prove". U have alleged certain things, but unfortunately, just like abalaka, u aren't ready 2 prove.

Research is about knowledge production with its end product a theory. In d process of verifying a theory, a door opens 4 new research& d cycle continues. A researcher shouldnt just b concerned with d manifest but also with d latent, hence d need 2 ask "why?" & "how?" which I have done in d course of interacting with u.

Based on d above paragraphs&d way I have interacted with u, how's it different from d way u "address research questions in d academics?"

When u said u are a researcher, I thought we were on d same page. But i began 2 notice that u were evading certain questions, d issue of gender dominated professions & on whether nature has endowed men and women with gender specific abilities. Eventually, u amazed me when I asked u how 64 women became parliamentarians in Rwanda. Ur response that it wasn't important wasnt what I expected from a researcher.

D only thing I can deduce is that u have a sentimental attachment 2d issue of gender equality&because of that, u are being subjective in ur response. We can't completely rule out a researchers subjectivity in research, but we do expect d researcher 2b open 2 new perspectives&2 allow his/her point of view 2b queried. So far, u aren't doing that& am wondering if that's how its done in ur academic environment. Cheers

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Newlywed Couple Climb On Guests At Their Wedding Ceremony (Photos) / Obituary Of Father, Son & Daughter, To Be Buried Same Day In Abia (Photo) / Ghanaian Man Celebrates His Birthday With Nude Photoshoot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.