Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,385 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker (23051 Views)

Boy Kills His Brother With Grandfather's Gun In Bayelsa (Photos) / Missing Grandfather In Ibadan / Zimbabwean Teen Teaches Her Rapist Grandfather A Lesson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Nowenuse: 2:26pm On Jul 17, 2018
baby124:

The heavy chains were not forged in Africa, they were given to co conspirators especially in the hinterland by the Europeans. As for Africans betraying their people in this age, well materialism is the order of the day. But you still see that majority frown on slavery, fraud and deception. It is the scum of the earth who deceive their fellow Africans into countries like Libya.

During the transatlantic slavery trade these scum were given guns, guards, lands and money to enable the success of the trade! The scum today are our leaders and the wicked human traffickers. Anyone that wants to rule and make real change is undermined to a large extent! Africans need to wake up and demand a change or the world will never take them seriously! As to human sacrifice, many cultures practice that!

The only time humans are buried with another human is when a royal dies. These people are raised or dedicate their lives for that purpose, like the Abobakus. The Abobakus elect to die with the king. They live a rich life like the king during their lifetime, and choose to die with him to continue enjoying in the afterlife. Does that look like a forced death to you? No. Different cultures, different practices. This narrative falls into a single story trap.

My own family, the slaves became part of the family and took on their masters name. They married, had children and they are part of my extended family once their debt was paid. They were totally absorbed into society and married freeborn as long as they could afford to take care of them. This author making her father’s narrative an African narrative is very dangerous and should be questioned immediately. Several tribes had different practices. We don’t have the caste system in Yorubaland and no one is discriminated against.

Many times slaves even grew to army general rank and other prominent titles in Yorubaland. They were so integrated that people barely remember which family came in as slaves. We need to paint the right picture of slavery or indentured servitude in the African context.

It’s apparent that the writer’s forefather was a criminal who rose the ranks with the help of Europeans. The real royals did not live such crude lives. They always had servants and their own priests to do rituals for them. This writers father was doing his own rituals and terrorizing people by himself like a modern day shekau. Remember Igbos don’t believe in royalty, so it would have been easy for low life criminals to be imposed and elevated.

You are correct. Different African cultures, different practices. There must never be a generalization.

As for human sacrifice to deities, Only Africans and Native Americans were noted to practice. I do not think it was practiced elsewhere.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by baby124: 2:39pm On Jul 17, 2018
Nowenuse:

You are correct. Different African cultures, different practices. There must never be a generalization.

As for human sacrifice to deities, Only Africans and Native Americans were noted to practice. I do not think it was practiced elsewhere.
Europeans also practiced it in their pagan religions, so did Asians and South Americans. All over the world, human sacrifice happened.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/59514-cultures-that-practiced-human-sacrifice.html

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by HomeOfMe(f): 3:14pm On Jul 17, 2018
flyca:

Fighting ke? Azzzinn - me, fight? Lol
Nne just agree that you quoted me in a hurry or just ignore everything and pass kiss
ok ooooo.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Fatherofdragons: 8:28pm On Jul 17, 2018
Sluvist:
When it comes to crime, igbo takes lead. But this your story carry plenty lie. Igbos were Bushmen by then. They don't have kingdom, no leadership, no focus, no culture, plain naked homo sapiens. If you talk about slave trade, refer your issue to yorubas. Even history mentioned yoruba role in slave trade.

Igbos take the lead in which crime? u Yoruba bastards have started again with ur pathetic and hideous lies again

u coneheads engage in skull mining and rituals, internet fraud and raping of little kids, yes we see it everyday here on nairaland so ur Lagos /ibadan express way lies won't hold again.

u coneheads were plain barbaric, killing each other till ilorin was taking from u by Fulanis, dirty things.

Yoruba bastard talking about igbos have no culture, is that what ur cursed parents fed u with when u were little.

which useless leadership do u have? the ones where ur kings were fighting each other and killing their ppl till they had to call on the British like whimpering bush babies to save them from their pathetic selves.

u were opportuned enough to make early contact with white ppl, they covered ur ancestors saggy breasts and tiny black dicks with good quality clothes and u are typing trash from ur ewedu stained fingers.

most educated and civilised my azz

hatefull fool.

spare me that bull shi*t

4 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Magichand: 11:14pm On Jul 17, 2018
As in ehh
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 20, 2020
Her Great Grandfather to be honest was a kidnapper period. Saying he was a slave trader glosses over the fact that he was simply an evil human who sent people to kidnap innocent women, and children. He was what he was an evil kidnapper.

thesicilian:
Inferiority complex makes you blame yourself even for crimes perpetrated against you by those you feel are superior to you. Did the Africans ever have any choice on the matter of slave trade? Agreed some of our ancestors took an ungodly advantage of the situation, selling out their own kin for personal gains, but what happened to those who tried to resist the British and Portuguese exploitation like King Jaja of Opobo and Oba Ovonramwen of Benin? Were they not still overthrown by the superior fire power of the European military and replaced by those who would dance to their evil tunes?

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by kabillionaire(m): 12:45am On Jul 21, 2020
royalamour:
Her great grand father was extremely wicked.
He had the heart to sell his own people for money and they gave him a chieftancy title for that?

To what end was the church he built?

Idiot!

The church was to spiritually strip them of their true identities

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Drama Between A Police Officer And A Man Who Refused To Settle Him / Army Invades Little Palace Hotel, Lagos, Turns It Into Operational Base / Magu: Report Says Interest On N550 Billion Re-Looted - Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.