Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,803 members, 7,956,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:51 PM

Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker (23287 Views)

Boy Kills His Brother With Grandfather's Gun In Bayelsa (Photos) / Missing Grandfather In Ibadan / Zimbabwean Teen Teaches Her Rapist Grandfather A Lesson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
ELKHALIFAISIS:
I don't care about their humor

I know.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by HomeOfMe(f): 6:02pm On Jul 16, 2018
theoldpretender:

Africans kept slaves long before the whites came in.

One of the earliest archeologic discoveries in Nigeria is the tomb of an Igbo king...who was buried around 900CE. He was buried...with lots of his slaves.

There was also the story of an Igala princess, who sacrified herself by being buried alive...so that her father could win a war...with her slaves.

Selling slaves was just a means of getting revenues to among other things....defend African empires and territories.

(Note...we Africans did not live in nice peaceful territories...we fought wars well well).

We also sold slaves to the Arabs too by the way...and Arabs too led slave raids.

The difference between African and American slavery...slaves in Africa could own land, property and could also becomeintegrated members of the community. But....second class. And they could be freed too.
I think govt should bring history studies back in school curriculum,because not knowing these things is making some people offended by the OP's story.

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by HomeOfMe(f): 6:04pm On Jul 16, 2018
Diso60090:
Fear who nor fear igbo people from A/Z no one good na their blood the thing dey
Slave trade was practiced in most parts of Nigeria. If you research history,you'd see it.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by themanderon: 6:04pm On Jul 16, 2018
If you do not know where you are coming from you cannot know where you are going. I can also relate with what this lady is talking about. Well what many people do not yet realize is that some people are suffering today for no fault of theirs but as a result of wrong decisions made by their ancestors.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Diso60090(m): 6:06pm On Jul 16, 2018
HomeOfMe:
Slave trade was practiced in most parts of Nigeria. If you research history,you'd see it.

Na you know that one
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by amanze2020(m): 6:47pm On Jul 16, 2018
modaink333:
please make it shorter ,I can't read such books
That's a sign of poor reading habit. A canker worm eating deep inside the society.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by thesicilian: 6:53pm On Jul 16, 2018
emmyid:

Slavery existed before the coming of the whites. I guess you didn't read the article. Kings had slaves, a King without a Slave wasn't a real King. Those captured during wars were turned slaves.
Your own explanation revealed the fact that you lack a basic understanding of the topic at hand. I asked him to explain because I wanted to understand his own point of view, not that I didn't know there was slavery in Africa before the coming of the white men. The level of slavery we are talking about here goes beyond the traditional slavery/servant type attached to Kings. Those ones were still afforded 3 square meals per day, and allowed to visit their families once in a long while (at least in my own tradition). Here we are talking of the selling and buying kind, along with torture, where you never get to see your home again. I didn't know that existed in Nigeria then hence my question.

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by theoldpretender(m): 8:18pm On Jul 16, 2018
Bsuedu:

Yes, things were really bad. Jim Crow South ( Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama) was about as worse as it could get. My grandmother told me about the Klan riding up and taking men out to be hung. My mom wasnt allowed to go to school and had to drink out of designated water fountains. My parents also talked about havin to ride in the back of the bus.
But thanks to their perserverance, determination, and hard work, my family are able to have a good life now.

Nice to hear.

Black American history is sad but inspiring at the same time
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Jerrypolo(m): 9:40pm On Jul 16, 2018
musicwriter:

Whoever wrote this have his/her brain damaged. Slavery happened by coercion, kidnapping, fraud, war. If your ancestors participated in it that was because he was coerced to do what he didn't like in order to save his kingdom from invasion or to save his business. Our kings were given such conditions- to choose between their lives or be part of slavery. Of course, many chose to die fighting against it. Queen Nzinga of Namibia comes to mind. This leader fought the Portuguese to standstill and refused to surrender her domain to slavery. It was only after her defeat that they had their way.

Anybody who knows this fellow should ask him/her; how many slaves did your ancestor sell before the arrival of the Europeans? To whom?

Anybody interested should see the true history of slavery and slave acquisition in Africa http://www.africason.com/2016/03/the-true-history-of-slavery-and-slave.html

Nice read.
We have a long way to go as neo colonialism is the new gold.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by writeprof(m): 11:02pm On Jul 16, 2018
royalamour:
Her great grand father was extremely wicked.
He had the heart to sell his own people for money and they gave him a chieftancy title for that?

To what end was the church he built?

Idiot!

The Europeans who brought Christianity did same and worse especially to blacks. Read Frederick Douglass story and Robinson Crusoe for more facts.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Bitterleafsoup: 12:01am On Jul 17, 2018
musicwriter:

If someone ''could own land, property and could also become integrated members of the community'' then he/she wasn't a slave in the same way we have come to know slavery. In Africa, till today, there exists what we call apprenticeship, whereby people serve under a master, and this's an old practice. It is not called slavery.

Yes, there were captives held as prisoners of war and probably looked down upon in society, but that was all there's to that. They were not ''traded'' as commodity from a seller to a buyer.

Its interesting you mentioned Arabs. Both the Arabs and Europeans brought these practices to us when our lands were invaded. There were no ''buying and selling'' of human beings among Africans before the arrival of either the Arabs or Europeans. The slavery I am talking about is buying and selling of human beings before the arrival of the Arabs and Europeans. That's what I want to know. How did Africans buy and sell slaves before the arrival of the Arabs and Europeans? To whom did we sell the slaves to? That's what I want to know.
Some African cultures on a spiritual level have people that serve the gods as a type of servitude, that did not start with osu. Others debts could put you in slavery after repaid your free. Really the biggest is territory disputes among kingdoms and tribes produced servants/ slaves. Usually they assimilate into the community.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by emssecca: 12:44am On Jul 17, 2018
I suspect some racist europeans are on this forum poising as Africans. Thereby using this forum to help spread self-hate, misinformation and fake history about Africans. Africans started civilisation but the europeans came and supplanted it, then colonised it. Ancient Africans never saw the world as something to subdue but something to learn from. If Africans are so dumb I challenge all europeans to stop meddling in our affairs through covert or overt means and leave us alone to our devices and see what we come up with. Even when our corrupt presidents, whom are european puppets want to hide stolen money in your european banks please refuse and send it back to the African country. Also if our corrupt leaders want to get treated in your hospitals send these leaders back to be treated back in their home countries. Stop selling them weapons. Stop bribing them through fake 'aid' money, commonwealth(a.k.a british empire), IMF, world bank, white elephant projects etc and let us see who will come out tops! And African men we need to wake up and know our history and current affairs. The other day french president came to Naija and we were dancing and laughing with him while he is reponsible for killing, raping and massacaring southern camerounians as I type this!

EasterDell:

"Brain Damage"... Your very choice of words expose the bile in you. Ok now let me add some good old sense to your deranged thinking!

A lion does not pity a goat, when he wants to eat... A human does not spare the chicken when hungry! That's the beauty of nature! Don't be weak, or you will pay the price dearly!

The white man owes no apologies for dominating, enslaving and coercing you to do their economic bidding! They where clearly superior and if your lazy, unitintlligent, tree worshipping ancestors did what they were supposed to do, history would be different!

But noooo, they did nothing, and even today their children are still doing nothing!

Blacks were backwards and useless in ancient times, couldn't read, write, build anything meaningful!... Sadly enough they are still very useless today! Look at the whole of black Africa! a disgrace to the international community, corruption, diseases always blaming and begging people!

The black man owes himself some good dose of self respect, man up and be serious! No body owes you nothing! Lead well, study hard and build cities, technologies to dominate others!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by emssecca: 1:04am On Jul 17, 2018
Africans, my advice is we have to be careful on how we push our narrative for posterity. When we say 'we' do something it has be be what the whole community, country or nation does. It has to be legal to do at that time. If its something only the rich and powerful does but it is frowned upon by the majority of the poor masses, it does not mean 'we' as a people accepts to do it. The majority of the public may be coerced to do evil things by the powerful and because they are powerless and afraid to stop it, does it make it what 'we' do? No. Africans had servants and prisoners of wars and not slaves! We should be very careful. And if some people, a minority of Africans ventured into enslavement of fellow Africans, it was illegal and heavily frowned up by majority of Africans. We had wars with the europeans to stop slavery. Do not for a second think it was europeans that stopped slavery. It was strong brave Africans that stopped slavery. The europeans inly reacted becos their means of revenue was heavily affected, then they switched to 'colonisation!' Africans, study your history!!!

theoldpretender:

Quickly answering....Africans did buy and sell slaves to themselves. Slaves were war captives, or even people expelled from their communities.
The Europeans and Arabs were just another market.

To use a "poor' example....a certain Nigerian was kidnapped in the late 19th century...from what is now Kogi state,and sold off somewhere to an 'owner' in what is NOW oyo state. He was a slave for 20 years, before he got free, converted to Chirstianity., and returned home to preach to his people. (He eventually went on to work with..not for... a white missionary as a preacher ).

On a side note...we did have some forms of currency before the Europeans....gold, manillas,cowries, etc.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by flyca: 1:53am On Jul 17, 2018
HomeOfMe:
The slave trade didn't happen in Nigeria alone. Ghana,republic of Benin,ivory coast,sierra Leone,etc.
Did you see "Nigeria" anywhere in my comment?
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Nowenuse: 2:10am On Jul 17, 2018
theoldpretender:

The black man in North America...the US and Canada ...still does have some issues with racisim (eg racial profiling, bad police treatment, poor schools, etc) but things as I said are better than they were in say the 1930's (when blacks could be lynched for flimsy reasons).

I should add that when I say things are better.....I usually throw in a lot of caveats. But that one na another long tori.

South America and Central America...hmm. In the US...you can see black faces on US TV shows. On telenovelas from South American countries with a large black population...zero (Even PLACES LIKE BRAZIL!)

Thank you very much. You see, I thought I was the only one who noticed this.

Make no mistake bro, I have discovered that there is a very big difference in the mentality of Blacks in the USA and Blacks in Latin America.

Blacks in the USA promoted themselves, they fought aggresively and died for their own rights because they found themselves in a society that was completely against them and ostracized them.
Blacks Americans sang their own musics, acted their own movies, created their own magazines and beauty products to inspire themselves, the likes of BET, Ebony etc come to mind.

Afro-Latinos on the other hand have a history of heavy intermixing with their white masters which gave rise to the large mixed race population you see all over the Latin world.
This somehow made Afro-latinos not to feel too hated by the whites or to develop a very distinct culture or identity from the whites unlike African americans. Instead they prefer to try to be like the whites, marry more whites and become whitenized. They live to please white people. They have no identity, struggle or pride of their own.

In a country like Brazil where 50% of the population are mixed race or black (pardo or preto), you see a disproportionate number of whites representing their media and politics, yet the mixed and black people seem not to be worried about it or challenging it as such.

Why don't they have their own movies like the Black Americans started doing to promote their own selves?

In America, the one drop rule was used and all mixed and black people had one identity and struggle as black people.
In Brazil, the mixed people look down on the black people and never identify themselves as blacks. The mixed people try their best to become whiter and appeal to the white majority population. It's just a very pathetic case for the blacks and mixed populations in the Latin world.

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Nowenuse: 2:17am On Jul 17, 2018
theoldpretender:

If your great grandad had been caught as a slave...God forbid

1.You might have not existed because he would have died in the ship enroute to the Americas.

2.Most slaves ended up in what is now South America. Millions did end up in North America.

3.If your grandad ended up in South America...chances are you would be living in a favella...where life is just as cheap as it is in Nigeria (Police brutality, violent drug gangs, etc).

4.If your grandad ended up in US or Canada....good. You have a high chance of living in a violent, drug ridden, gang ridden neighbourhood. And most blacks are victims of crime...commited by other blacks.

5.There is also a chance you might end up living in a higher level of life...if your ancestor got educated...or played sports brilliantly..

6.Is it worth allowing your ancestors suffer years of discrimination, often violent, just so that you can call yourself an American.

7. Black slaves were never sent to Australia. (The black Australian or Aboriginie is the original owner of that land. There are Africans there...but those are recent legal immigrants. Plus, Australia had a No Black Immigrant policy till 1968).

8. ThaNK God your ancestors were not sent to Argentina...to be used as cannon fodder in the wars of independence that wracked Argentina in the 19th century. Most blacks died in those wars...that, and massive whites only immigration, is why Argentina has less than 100000 black people.(once upon a time it was half the populaiton).

I'm happy that we still have enlightened nairalanders like you here who help to enlighten the ignorant Nigerian mass.

Just see how some ignorant people jump over here wishing their ancestors were slaves so that they can be citizens of the Americas. They don't know that only probably 1% of the descendants of African slaves shipped away live very comfortable middleclass lives in a first world country.

I weep for the ignorance of Nigerians of today. Our educational system is failed and ignorance is the order of the day.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Nowenuse: 2:28am On Jul 17, 2018
musicwriter:

If someone ''could own land, property and could also become integrated members of the community'' then he/she wasn't a slave in the same way we have come to know slavery. In Africa, till today, there exists what we call apprenticeship, whereby people serve under a master, and this's an old practice. It is not called slavery.

Yes, there were captives held as prisoners of war and probably looked down upon in society, but that was all there's to that. They were not ''traded'' as commodity from a seller to a buyer.

Its interesting you mentioned Arabs. Both the Arabs and Europeans brought these practices to us when our lands were invaded. There were no ''buying and selling'' of human beings among Africans before the arrival of either the Arabs or Europeans. The slavery I am talking about is buying and selling of human beings before the arrival of the Arabs and Europeans. That's what I want to know. How did Africans buy and sell slaves before the arrival of the Arabs and Europeans? To whom did we sell the slaves to? That's what I want to know.

@theoldpretender. I think this person above is very very correct. Africans never traded slaves with each other before the Arabs or Europeans came.

The Arabs/Europeans took great advantage of our naivety and unexposure. Now they make it look like slavery was all our fault and they were just innocent passersby who were enticed/offered some slaves to purchase.

As an African, the only blame I think we fully deserve was the human sacrifice of enslaved people. We and the native Americans were the only group of people to really have practiced this inhuman act for millenia.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Nowenuse: 2:42am On Jul 17, 2018
EasterDell:

"Brain Damage"... Your very choice of words expose the bile in you. Ok now let me add some good old sense to your deranged thinking!

A lion does not pity a goat, when he wants to eat... A human does not spare the chicken when hungry! That's the beauty of nature! Don't be weak, or you will pay the price dearly!

The white man owes no apologies for dominating, enslaving and coercing you to do their economic bidding! They where clearly superior and if your lazy, unitintlligent, tree worshipping ancestors did what they were supposed to do, history would be different!

But noooo, they did nothing, and even today their children are still doing nothing!

Blacks were backwards and useless in ancient times, couldn't read, write, build anything meaningful!... Sadly enough they are still very useless today! Look at the whole of black Africa! a disgrace to the international community, corruption, diseases always blaming and begging people!

The black man owes himself some good dose of self respect, man up and be serious! No body owes you nothing! Lead well, study hard and build cities, technologies to dominate others!

You made salient points above I must confess. But for you to completely underrate, Ignore and rubbish the achievements of past african empires is what I would not accept.
The Mongols once ruled half of the world, how great are they today? They are a small minority in China almost absorbed and have another landlocked insignificant country btw China & Russia.
Arabs once ruled and conquered even parts of Europe. How great are they today?

Will you just throw away the numerous past Kingdoms and Empires of Africa like Mali, Abbysinia, Nubia, Kush, Askum, Songhai, Ghana, Benin, Kanem-bornu, Ancient Egypt etc as Africans always being backward?

The Greeks once ruled the world, today they are the economic embarrassment of Europe.

Assyrians were once a world power, today they are a small almost ethnically cleansed minority in the Arab world.

Empires and kingdoms rise and fall and times change.

4 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Nowenuse: 2:51am On Jul 17, 2018
baby124:
Lack of creative ability led her to write this nonsense in the New Yorker. Yes, there were instances like this. But involvement of foreigners fueled transatlantic slave trade. Many many cultures in the world buried their dead with slaves. Even South America had slaves who were buried with monarchs and they did a lot of head hunting. So don’t go on New Yorker to write patronizing articles which in the long run racists are looking for to justify their actions and absolve their ancestors who preyed on old practices guided by rules.

Whites injected materialism into the process and made it absolutely foul. Africans never ever treated their slaves like animals till the whites taught them how to treat their slaves like animals. Those heavy chains and weapons of torture were not forged by Africans but by White people. Slaves were like indentured servants who reintegrated into society mostly. Most of the slaves captured when the greed got High were regular people trying to go about their daily lives! Also the Africans did not have an idea of the fate that was meted out to the salves sold. It was absolutely horrendous and most of them died in transit. Had they known, things may just have been different.

As much as I'd like to be happy about this comment of yours vindicating Africans, I can see how the current crop of Africans today still sell each other for the same material gains. Are our leaders not selling the future of the masses for their own personal gains?

The most painful of them all are the Human traffickers who defraud and deceive their fellow Africans with the promise of a good life in Europe, only to trick them into the hands of Libyans to sell them off. It's so pathetic!

I highly doubt that even though the fate of the slaves in the new world has been made known to their African sellers, it wouldn't have made any difference to the sellers. Afterall, these same slaves were used for human sacrifice in many places by their masters.

The writer also made very clear the heavy chains her father used for his slaves.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by baby124: 3:10am On Jul 17, 2018
Nowenuse:

As much as I'd like to be happy about this comment of yours vindicating Africans, I can see how the current crop of Africans today still sell each other for the same material gains. Are our leaders not selling the future of the masses for their own personal gains?

The most painful of them all are the Human traffickers who defraud and deceive their fellow Africans with the promise of a good life in Europe, only to trick them into the hands of Libyans to sell them off. It's so pathetic!

I highly doubt that even though the fate of the slaves in the new world has been made known to their African sellers, it wouldn't have made any difference to the sellers. Afterall, these same slaves were used for human sacrifice in many places by their masters.

The writer also made very clear the heavy chains her father used for his slaves.
The heavy chains were not forged in Africa, they were given to co conspirators especially in the hinterland by the Europeans. As for Africans betraying their people in this age, well materialism is the order of the day. But you still see that majority frown on slavery, fraud and deception. It is the scum of the earth who deceive their fellow Africans into countries like Libya.

During the transatlantic slavery trade these scum were given guns, guards, lands and money to enable the success of the trade! The scum today are our leaders and the wicked human traffickers. Anyone that wants to rule and make real change is undermined to a large extent! Africans need to wake up and demand a change or the world will never take them seriously! As to human sacrifice, many cultures practice that!

The only time humans are buried with another human is when a royal dies. These people are raised or dedicate their lives for that purpose, like the Abobakus. The Abobakus elect to die with the king. They live a rich life like the king during their lifetime, and choose to die with him to continue enjoying in the afterlife. Does that look like a forced death to you? No. Different cultures, different practices. This narrative falls into a single story trap.

My own family, the slaves became part of the family and took on their masters name. They married, had children and they are part of my extended family once their debt was paid. They were totally absorbed into society and married freeborn as long as they could afford to take care of them. This author making her father’s narrative an African narrative is very dangerous and should be questioned immediately. Several tribes had different practices. We don’t have the caste system in Yorubaland and no one is discriminated against.

Many times slaves even grew to army general rank and other prominent titles in Yorubaland. They were so integrated that people barely remember which family came in as slaves. We need to paint the right picture of slavery or indentured servitude in the African context.

It’s apparent that the writer’s forefather was a criminal who rose the ranks with the help of Europeans. The real royals did not live such crude lives. They always had servants and their own priests to do rituals for them. This writers father was doing his own rituals and terrorizing people by himself like a modern day shekau. Remember Igbos don’t believe in royalty, so it would have been easy for low life criminals to be imposed and elevated.

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by Nobody: 3:35am On Jul 17, 2018
To Baby124,

You make a really good point in your posts, I wondered why the author decided to go the route of The New Yorker. As you said, that this narrative is somewhat different from other tribes, mainstream America will not see it that way. Racists and others will use this narrative to justify their own ancestors involvement in slavery.

I will add I did learn somethings from the comments here.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by baby124: 3:45am On Jul 17, 2018
Bsuedu:
To Baby124,

You make a really good point in your posts, I wondered why the author decided to go the route of The New Yorker. As you said, that this narrative is somewhat different from other tribes, mainstream America will not see it that way. Racists and others will use this narrative to justify their own ancestors involvement in slavery.

I will add I did learn somethings from the comments here.
Don’t mind her. I have an ancestor who came in as a slave, got his freedom and who became very rich and married a female ancestor whose father was an aristocrat and had his own slaves too. The “slavery” tag in cultures was very fluid. They were seen as “unfortunate” humans or prisoners of war to a large extent. Once they were able to prove their loyalty and serve their new king truthfully, they were reintegrated in Yorubaland.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by bigfrancis21: 5:29am On Jul 17, 2018
I'm aware that Igboland did participate in slavery but it is new to me that the extent of participation in slavery reached this deep into Northern Igboland (Anambra/Enugu areas).

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by musicwriter(m): 5:56am On Jul 17, 2018
Nowenuse:

@theoldpretender. I think this person above is very very correct. Africans never traded slaves with each other before the Arabs or Europeans came.

The Arabs/Europeans took great advantage of our naivety and unexposure. Now they make it look like slavery was all our fault and they were just innocent passersby who were enticed/offered some slaves to purchase.

As an African, the only blame I think we fully deserve was the human sacrifice of enslaved people. We and the native Americans were the only group of people to really have practiced this inhuman act for millenia.

Our people have been so dumbed down in the name of education that it becomes almost impossible to convince them that everything the European told them is a lie.

According to the records of Mungo Park, when he arrived Africa and acquired some slaves, he said: ''the slaves from Mali were all very inquisitive, but they viewed me at first with looks of horror, and repeatedly asked if my countrymen were cannibals. They were very desirous to know what became of the slaves after they had crossed the salt water. I told them that they were employed in cultivating the land; but they would not believe me.''

Its clear from the above that the African people thought the slaves were eaten as meat. Its a pity when you try to enlighten our people that our ancestors had no idea what the whole slave trade was about, they'll prefer to believe that our ancestors originated slavery, not realizing that slavery is an old European business brought to Africa. Europeans had been enslaving themselves in Europe for thousands of years. They simply moved their trade to Africa and other parts of the world upon the end of feudalism in Europe.

What's worse?

Cannibalism was widespread in Europe, but these brainwashed Africans claiming Europeans brought us enlightenment don't know it. They will never tell you that Europeans ate each other. The white man has so much intimidated them to worship him that they consider such information a taboo.

Cannibalism in Europe https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/europes-hypocritical-history-of-cannibalism-42642371/

And they didn't just bring slavery. The same period the Europeans were in Africa claiming they brought us light, they were widespread killing of people classified as witches in Europe. The term ''witch hunt'' was a real invent where people were accused of being a witch and they were killed and burnt down on the street. When the Christian missionaries arrived Africa, they brought us that practice as well, and that's how people came to be called witches. This is something nobody talked about.

Killing of witches in Europe 1 https://www.thoughtco.com/persecuting-witches-and-witchcraft-4123033

Killing of witches in Europe 2 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_trials_in_the_early_modern_period

3 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by MartinCorridon: 6:38am On Jul 17, 2018
ELKHALIFAISIS:
my great grandpa really fvckup he would have give up and allow slave sellers to capture them... I would by now be a black America or black Australian... what use am I been a Nigerian abeg make them come sell me to New Zealand this Nigeria don tire me under sai Barber terrorist

grin grin ....don't worry, you are still an inferior OSU wawa jew nah.

Best case scenario: you are still very much a slave to your fellow FLATMATES. Shebi you wan be slave

Realistically- a slave to the Afonjas you abuse all day long grin

[img]https://media1./images/7d7ea8a8d7135f3ded1f3f8f82b598ab/tenor.gif?itemid=10351560[/img]
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by EasterDell: 7:07am On Jul 17, 2018
Nowenuse:

You made salient points above I must confess. But for you to completely underrate, Ignore and rubbish the achievements of past african empires is what I would not accept.
The Mongols once ruled half of the world, how great are they today? They are a small minority in China almost absorbed and have another landlocked insignificant country btw China & Russia.
Arabs once ruled and conquered even parts of Europe. How great are they today?

Will you just throw away the numerous past Kingdoms and Empires of Africa like Mali, Abbysinia, Nubia, Kush, Askum, Songhai, Ghana, Benin, Kanem-bornu, Ancient Egypt etc as Africans always being backward?

The Greeks once ruled the world, today they are the economic embarrassment of Europe.

Assyrians were once a world power, today they are a small almost ethnically cleansed minority in the Arab world.

Empires and kingdoms rise and fall and times change.

Totally agree with you! I'm just sometime irked by the irresponsible reverse racist blame game mentality many Africans prefer to adopt.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by EasterDell: 7:18am On Jul 17, 2018
emssecca:
I suspect some racist europeans are on this forum poising as Africans. Thereby using this forum to help spread self-hate, misinformation and fake history about Africans. Africans started civilisation but the europeans came and supplanted it, then colonised it. Ancient Africans never saw the world as something to subdue but something to learn from. If Africans are so dumb I challenge all europeans to stop meddling in our affairs through covert or overt means and leave us alone to our devices and see what we come up with. Even when our corrupt presidents, whom are european puppets want to hide stolen money in your european banks please refuse and send it back to the African country. Also if our corrupt leaders want to get treated in your hospitals send these leaders back to be treated back in their home countries. Stop selling them weapons. Stop bribing them through fake 'aid' money, commonwealth(a.k.a british empire), IMF, world bank, white elephant projects etc and let us see who will come out tops! And African men we need to wake up and know our history and current affairs. The other day french president came to Naija and we were dancing and laughing with him while he is reponsible for killing, raping and massacaring southern camerounians as I type this!

My friend, it is people like you that make me write very pungent comments like I did. Keep waiting for Europeans to infiltrate NL and give you sense.

Yes, no body owes your corrupt leaders common sense, no body owes you security, nobody owes you anything! Get it yourself...
Yes! Blacks will continue being raped, massacred and controlled both overtly and covertly until they receive sense!

I have worked with white man's and black man's companies, the difference is clear. We look for everytother person to blame for vile behaviours.

I am fully igbo, proudly as black as it gets. Yes, my people need to up their game! and I will keep rubbing it in your faces....
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by HomeOfMe(f): 10:20am On Jul 17, 2018
flyca:

Did you see "Nigeria" anywhere in my comment?
Take a chill pill,I ain't fighting with no one..,you only live once,life isn't that complicated,God bless you.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by theDEVILisHERE: 12:05pm On Jul 17, 2018
Any confession done in the church or mosque is a waste of time
You're actually heepng more course on your self..
Go and do that to in ur 'spirituality...

...blackman
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 1:21pm On Jul 17, 2018
MartinCorridon:

grin grin ....don't worry, you are still an inferior OSU wawa jew nah.

Best case scenario: you are still very much a slave to your fellow FLATMATES. Shebi you wan be slave

Realistically- a slave to the Afonjas you abuse all day long grin

[img]https://media1./images/7d7ea8a8d7135f3ded1f3f8f82b598ab/tenor.gif?itemid=10351560[/img]
slave have taken over Lagos deal with it ntoor grin
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by MartinCorridon: 1:26pm On Jul 17, 2018
ELKHALIFAISIS:
slave have taken over Lagos deal with it ntoor grin

Keep deceiving yourself with delusions of grandeur

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: My Great-Grandfather, Nigerian Slave-Trader - New Yorker by flyca: 1:47pm On Jul 17, 2018
HomeOfMe:
Take a chill pill,I ain't fighting with no one..,you only live once,life isn't that complicated,God bless you.
Fighting ke? Azzzinn - me, fight? Lol
Nne just agree that you quoted me in a hurry or just ignore everything and pass kiss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Women Take Cocaine, Tramadol, Other Hard Drugs Than Men In Rivers – NDLEA / Army Captures Key Suspect Behind Deadly Taraba Community Attack (photos) / Cultists Rob Lagos Residents, Hack 24-year-old To Death -PUNCH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.