Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,810 members, 7,817,352 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You (13671 Views)

13 Overhyped Video Games That Failed Miserably After They Got Released / 5 Upcoming Video Games That Prove Single Player Games Is Far From Dead / Video Games That Killed People In Real Life (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 16, 2018
http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-overhyped-upcoming-video-games-that-could-disappoint-you

Nothing's worse than spending your hard-earned cash on a new game, only to be disappointed with the product. We've all been burned by bad games at one point or another.

Everything from Marvel movies to the next J.K. Rowling adaptation accrues a suitable amount of hype. Fan theories, trailers, interview snippets hinting at major plot twists or character arcs - but nothing even remotely compares to video game hype.

Yes, film has Cannes but it's overlooked by mainstream audiences, whereas gaming has E3: A ludicrously expensive, mass-appeal showcase of everything including during-the-event releases, what's coming later in a given year, and what to expect in the future.

For E3 2018 it was a TON of fancy trailers and gameplay reveals... only for "Coming in 2019" to be the most common ending card. There's nothing inherently wrong with profiling a title way ahead of time - providing you don't lie about upcoming features like No Man's Sky, or build a marketing campaign around a lie, like Halo 5 - but there's precedent to be cautious as hell.

Those two examples are literally the tip of the iceberg, too. Whether it be downgraded graphics, buggy launch states, dropped features or story elements completely reworked, gaming's hype cycle can be a disastrous double-edged sword.

Please note I'm not saying they will definitely dissapoint What I'm saying is tread carefully, because it'll be a miracle if this lot actually live up to expectations.
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 16, 2018
Days Gone

Here's hoping, hoping , that Days Gone is more than "Open-World Zombie Game #8437", as right now it seems developers Sony BEND are struggling to connote anything in the way of uniqueness.

As a premise it's accrued quite the swathe of fans. 'Sons of Anarchy + The Walking Dead' is quite the pitch; blending two of the biggest fan groups in modern TV history, yet when it comes to the game in action, main-man Deacon St. John looks to be thwacking zombies in ways we've seen millions of times before.

Such an emerging reputation wasn't helped by Creative Director John Garvin addressing overall zombie fatigue by saying Days Gone's enemies were "Freakers, not zombies", though when asked about how this impacts the game overall, the fallback continually seems to be that we're fighting waves of the creatures at once.

Masses of zombies/freakers/whatever was done immaculately back in 2006 with Dead Rising, and although Sony BEND might be tempering expectations by being quite honest about what is in the game, Days Gone is unlikely to offer anything we haven't seen before.
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 16, 2018
Last Of Us II

How could Naughty Dog disappoint?

Well, by going ahead with a game that no one asked for, nor convincing the masses it's necessary gameplay-wise after a sizeable demo.

Now, it's worth parsing out that obviously
Naughty Dog have earned their credo, and by all means we have faith in writer Neil Druckmann and the team to continue the franchise in the best way possible. That said, have you noticed the bizarrely muted response this has been getting across the internet, and since first being confirmed?
Plot points like the potential for Ellie's mother to be a main character and Joel to have kicked the bucket are fine enough, but the game's " theme of hate " is falling back on a lot of gratuitous gore to convey a tone we'd already established through world-building and character motivation alone.

It almost feels attention-grabbing - the complete anathema of 2013's release being a confident, steadfast example of immaculate storytelling.

LoU 2 will actively struggle to justify its existence depending on how the relationship of Ellie and Joel gets treated, and you have to wonder: Will it be "enough" for this to essentially be another Uncharted 4? I.e. Something that's more than fine, but very much felt "tagged on"?

1 Like

Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 16, 2018
Beyond Good And Evil 2

If there was one that game that exemplifies everything wrong with showing a project off too early, it's Beyond Good & Evil 2. Yes, the idea of a sequel to one of gaming's most criminally overlooked gems is A Damn Good Thing, but let's come back down to Earth a sec: Creative Director Michel Ancel had barely started work on the sequel - with seemingly no gameplay specifics whatsoever - when the public found out.

The best Ubi could do at E3 2017 was a character model and chunk of the world, rendered in detail - to which early demos then spent half hour stints zooming around as a way to convince us everything was on track.

From here it'll mean multiple years of development and a reliance on CG trailers, the latter coming together at the last minute depending on whatever's been nailed down by Ancel himself. It's why we got an elaborate load of nothing at E3 2018, and why Jade was only shown off in the closing few seconds.

On a hope and a prayer, BG&E 2 will still be spectacular, but... well... it's going to be a LONG time before we see it, and that only spells disaster.

Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 16, 2018
Call Of Duty Black Ops 4

The first COD without a story campaign - despite 2019's edition already looking to restore that missing feature - Black Ops 4 represents something of a lack of authorship behind the series for the first time.

As mentioned, the story campaign is gone, despite COD's single player being one of the most influential and recognisable in all of gaming, and in is a battle royale mode named Blackout, as Activision try to catch up to Fortnite.

Overall though, BlOps 4's gameplay is way more hero shooter/Overwatch than it is headshots and tactics. Trailers have confirmed things aren't as absolutely batsh*t as Black Ops 3's mind-melding vision-scapes, but we do have characters leaping way up in the sky, creating ground-pound shockwaves and moving at superhuman speeds.

Activision and Treyarch can proclaim this is "for everyone" - and removed from the fandom perspective, it does look pretty stellar - but as for the next Call of Duty game ?

It's going to land way left of centre.

1 Like

Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 16, 2018
Anthem

Despite the majority of gameplay showing Anthem to be "another Destiny", it's developed by none-other than Bioware and their name stands for a LOT.

Mass Effect, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Dragon Age - the studio have more grade-A, nostalgic memory-tinglers than scores of other devs combined. And yet... the Bioware of today are nowhere near that of yesteryear.

Case in point is Anthem: A multiplayer, online-only loot-shooter that forgoes everything fans love and adore from the team overall. We're
assured by the likes of Casey Hudson that there is still going to be a focus on storytelling but... well, if you read between the lines, everything Hudson is saying could easily be applied to the whole "dynamic interactions and unique stories" that get bandied about for MMOs and squad shooters.

A handful of players questing together is still a "story", but it's a far cry away from the highs of Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age - not to mention, Mr. Hudson is the guy that said Mass Effect 3 wouldn't have "an A, B or C ending"...

2 Likes

Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 16, 2018
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

As a franchise with two identities, AC: Odyssey is moving even further away from stealth elements and completely into AC 3-style group kills and all-new factional warfare.

The reason? Well, my cynical side says it's an easier way to continue Origins' reliance on stat-grinds and gear. There's only so much you can
do with a loot system when it comes to instant kills and slinking through the shadows - hence the ridiculous idea to make the hidden blade itself
a weapon you have to level up.

Literally, even though you've snuck up on someone and plunged the blade into their neck... you weren't a high enough level, so they survive.

Outside of this reliance on combat is a game that - in terms of what we've seen so far - really looks the exact same as Origins. From the HUD to menus to how elements like the in-game eagle "drone" works, Odyssey is coming in at a tepid, "Well... it looks fun, I guess", rather than "OMG I can't wait to see how it plays!"

At this stage we all know how an Assassin's Creed game plays, and granted, that could also be why Ubi are nakedly pursuing something almost completely different. All the same though, an AC game without a hidden blade, where the majority of your time is spent hacking and slashing? Why not just call it something else?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by cao(f): 4:50pm On Jul 16, 2018
Vasaratti16:
Beyond Good And Evil 2

If there was one that game that exemplifies everything wrong with showing a project off too early, it's Beyond Good & Evil 2. Yes, the idea of a sequel to one of gaming's most criminally overlooked gems is A Damn Good Thing, but let's come back down to Earth a sec: Creative Director Michel Ancel had barely started work on the sequel - with seemingly no gameplay specifics whatsoever - when the public found out.

The best Ubi could do at E3 2017 was a character model and chunk of the world, rendered in detail - to which early demos then spent half hour stints zooming around as a way to convince us everything was on track.

From here it'll mean multiple years of development and a reliance on CG trailers, the latter coming together at the last minute depending on whatever's been nailed down by Ancel himself. It's why we got an elaborate load of nothing at E3 2018, and why Jade was only shown off in the closing few seconds.

On a hope and a prayer, BG&E 2 will still be spectacular, but... well... it's going to be a LONG time before we see it, and that only spells disaster.
The beef I've for this prequel. After all the nonsense they pulled with the original game and the cancelled sequel. They might as well just remaster the original for PS4. 'Cause, I refuse to acknowledge this one until it has officially been released.

1 Like

Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by cao(f): 5:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
Vasaratti16:
Last Of Us II

Well, by going ahead with a game that no one asked for, nor convincing the masses it's necessary gameplay-wise after a sizeable demo.

Naughty Dog have earned their credo, and by all means we have faith in writer Neil Druckmann and the team to continue the franchise in the best way possible. That said, have you noticed the bizarrely muted response this has been getting across the internet, and since first being confirmed?
Plot points like the potential for Ellie's mother to be a main character and Joel to have kicked the bucket are fine enough, but the game's " theme of hate " is falling back on a lot of gratuitous gore to convey a tone we'd already established through world-building and character motivation alone.

It almost feels attention-grabbing - the complete anathema of 2013's release being a confident, steadfast example of immaculate storytelling.

LoU 2 will actively struggle to justify its existence depending on how the relationship of Ellie and Joel gets treated, and you have to wonder: Will it be "enough" for this to essentially be another Uncharted 4? I.e. Something that's more than fine, but very much felt "tagged on"?
Man, if Naughty Dog ever fails, it will be epic. But, they've been doing 200% for a very long time. It's practically impossible for them to fail, but there's always a first time.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Dongreat(m): 6:24pm On Jul 16, 2018
cao:

Man, if Naughty Dog ever fails, it will be epic. But, they've been doing 200% for a very long time. It's practically impossible for them to fail, but there's always a first time.

Naughty Dog can’t fail. They do their homework thoroughly and don’t s*it around. The game has been in production for long and there are rumours that it may not be released until 2020 when the ps5 is due.
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by overlord77: 6:30pm On Jul 16, 2018
Vasaratti16:
Last Of Us II

Dude, I totally disagree with you here. And where did you get the stats for the bolded above? Sir Josh, I dig your posts but for some of us LoU lovers and followers, mba!! I disagree with this your review. LoU 2 will sell.

1 Like

Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by khalhokage(m): 6:36pm On Jul 16, 2018
The Last of Us 2 should not be on this list, it is completely out of place, apart from the fact that the 1st was a masterpiece and that Naughty Dog has a great track record there has actually been a lot of excitement for the game especially after the game play trailer that was released recently.

Nothing I've seen of this game so far suggests that it could be anything less than what we had the 1st time around.
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by imperiouxx(m): 6:38pm On Jul 16, 2018
Dongreat:

Naughty Dog can’t fail. They do their homework thoroughly and don’t s*it around. The game has been in production for long and there are rumours that it may not be released until 2020 when the ps5 is due.

I heard it would be released in May 2019
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by badmrkt(m): 6:38pm On Jul 16, 2018
overlord77:

Dude, I totally disagree with you here. And where did you get the stats for the bolded above? Sir Josh, I dig your posts but for some of us LoU lovers and followers, mba!! I disagree with this your review. LoU 2 will sell.
ask that amebo. So ppl most ask for a particular game version before it is produced?
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by otosa(m): 6:46pm On Jul 16, 2018
What of Pes 19 without champion league and European League grin grin grin grin?
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Mckandre(m): 6:51pm On Jul 16, 2018
where's grandtheft VI? any news? undecided
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by ItzBIM(m): 7:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
Last of us 2 can never fail.
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 16, 2018
what about GTA 6
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Dacronym(m): 7:23pm On Jul 16, 2018
This is Surprising
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by uchihajt: 8:34pm On Jul 16, 2018
There is no way anthem can end up a screw up.. Have you seen the game play and the open world..?
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by PAQ(m): 9:24pm On Jul 16, 2018
Thesame way people said God of War was unnecessary and doom to fail. It got an excellent 9/10 rating and satisfied its fans. Last of Us 2 will not fail.

A games success/ failure can neva b predicted until its played
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 16, 2018
I have stopped all these games!! I'm still stuck at the female uncharted. Who knows how to pass that car place abeg? I'm stuck driving around
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by Cuteamigo1(m): 9:37pm On Jul 16, 2018
the last of us will never disappoint. my opinion sha, i cabt wait for it.
Re: 5 Upcoming Overhyped Video Games That May Disappoint You by cao(f): 9:41pm On Jul 16, 2018
Arondizuogu:
I have stopped all these games!! I'm still stuck at the female uncharted. Who knows how to pass that car place abeg? I'm stuck driving around
Tsk, tsk, tsk, game way I don plat since. You're still in chapter 4. Just use a walkthrough on YouTube.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sony To Launch Playstation 4 With New Gaming Console / Best 100 PPSSPP - PSP Games To Download / Broom Of Justice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.