Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,817 members, 7,820,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. (3240 Views)

Redmi Note 8: Does The Chinese Version With Global Rom Work Well With Mtn 4g? / Checkout Amazing Apps That Allows You Hide Photos/pictures On Your Android Phone / Chinese Version Android Stuck On 2g (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by TechCapon(m): 10:23am On Jul 18, 2018
TechCapon

No wonder Trump is fighting hard to suppress Chinese tech companies.This is the silicon valley of China. For every major American App, China has an equal rival that can compete with it in every way. You just can’t ignore the fact that China is doing very well in terms of technological advancement and to make it even worse, China built a mighty firewall to block popular American apps like Google, NetFlix, Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp etc. If you ever visit China, you will see an internet that looks VERY DIFFERENT from the one you are used to and it’s going to take you a while to adapt. Chinese government have censored most of these apps in order to favor their own. Afterall, China has the highest population in the world and they intend to take advantage of it. This post shows various applications that are designed to rival popular American companies but be that as it may, the biggest Tech companies are still in America.

1.DiDi VS UBER:

UBER was forced to quit China after after very serious price war. DiDi is China’s homemade version of UBER and as usual, DiDi crashed the price making it unprofitable for UBER. The ride-hailing giant beat its American counterpart out of China and took over UBER’s assets in China.

2. BAIDU vs GOOGLE

Google rules the West and also the world but when it comes to China, an average Chinese will ask you, “WTF is Google ?” Lol, I’m not joking it’s true. Baidu search engine is the GOOGLE of China and also the most popular site in the country and it operates several tangential services, including tools for maps and cloud storage. It’s also working on Artificial Intelligence and developing it’s own self driving car just like WAYMO.

3. ALIBABA vs AMAZON

Alibaba is China’s own Amazon and according to FORBES, Alibaba is more profitable than Amazon and to be honest, I love Alibaba way more than Amazon because things are cheaper on Alibaba/Aliexpress than on Amazon. This is the only Chinese version of company I love more than it’s American counterpart. It was founded by Chinese billionaire Jack Ma and sells everything Amazon sells. There’s nothing you will find on Amazon you won’t find on Alibaba or at least the Chinese version of it.

4. YOUKU vs YOUTUBE

Chinese government banned YOUTUBE in China. The same way Google owns YouTube, that’s the same way Alibaba owns Youku but trust me, you will NEVER enjoy Youku the same way you enjoy YouTube. YouTube has way more content than the so called Youku will ever have.

5. WeChat vs FaceBook

WeChat was built in 2011 to rival Facebook and it has done a very good job. It is almost as powerful as facebook if not more powerful and has over 1 billion active users around the world. It is loaded with so many exciting features, Once you’re inside WeChat’s app, you can hail a cab, manage your credit card bills, video calls, video games, check the news, watch videos and more, all from within the main app. It’s this app-within-an-app functionality that has led WeChat to find success. WeChat is almost like a browser, with each individual official account acting like a web page.
Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by TechCapon(m): 10:23am On Jul 18, 2018
TechCapon

6. WEIBO vs TWITTER

Whether Twitter likes it or not, Weibo has come to stay. It’s the hottest microblogging service in China now. It consumes 90% market shares of China’s microblogging services.It is also called SINA WEIBO and it is the exact Chinese version of Twitter but has more features than Twitter and is growing faster than Twitter. If you want to follow Chinese celebrities (LOL), Weibo is definitely the right place .

7. iQiyi vs NetFlix

Chinese companies have very WEIRD NAMES I tell you. Which one is iQiyi ? Well don’t bother trying to pronounce it, you might bite your tongue. This online video platform backed by search giant Baidu is the NETFLIX of China. They now have more than 500 million active users, with 50.8 million fully paid-up subscribers. While free content is still available to those users who don’t pay, this excludes exclusive iQiyi productions. Netflix licensed its own shows to iQiyi earlier this year after struggling to enter the Chinese market naturally.

8. UC Browser vs CHROME

So many Nigerians don’t know it but UC Browser is actually a Chinese Browser developed by the Chinese mobile Internet company UCWeb, which is in turn owned by the Alibaba Group. As of February 2018 it is the third most popular mobile browser in the world by market share, after Google Chrome and Safari. It is built to rival Google Chrome and it has done an extremely good job and is very popular all over the world. For me UC Browser is better than Chrome in terms of downloading large files such as movies and it’s faster too. It’s dificult to believe China can build some as good as this.

9. TANTAN vs TINDER.

TANTAN is the biggest dating App in China and is the exact copycat version of American dating App Tinder. The company follows the familiar formula of having you swipe left or right on random singles in the hopes of finding a match and hooking up.

Taobao vs EBay and so on... The list is endless

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/chinas-silicon-valley-checkout-these-amazing-chinese-version-of-top-american-software-companies/

lalasticlala
mynd44
dominique

5 Likes

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by marc55: 10:32am On Jul 18, 2018
Chinese and copy copy... Them dey try sha

3 Likes

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by TechCapon(m): 11:45am On Jul 18, 2018
marc55:
Chinese and copy copy... Them dey try sha
lol grin
Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by Gizmomachine: 12:27pm On Jul 18, 2018
I think the Chinese version of Facebook is VK while that of WhatsApp is Wechat.

11 Likes

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by wiseone28: 12:57pm On Jul 18, 2018
We in Nigeria are waiting for Chinese version of Buhari

3 Likes

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by TechCapon(m): 2:20pm On Jul 18, 2018
Gizmomachine:
I don't think so. We cannot play video games on whatsapp, cannot make payments on whatsapp and so on but all that can be done on wechat. It's more of a Facebook rival than whatsapp. Besides VK is not a Chinese App. It's a Russian app founded by Pavel Durov, Nikolai Durov and Vyacheslav Mirilashvili,

3 Likes

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by ollah2: 2:33pm On Jul 18, 2018
Ok it's wechat vs WhatsApp. I don't think they have their own version of Facebook yet let alone Instagram and snapchat. But this is really commendable, it's a plus when a government utilises the large population of the country to bring forth development and growth. Same thing can't be said about the most populous black nation on earth

1 Like

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by ollah2: 2:37pm On Jul 18, 2018
TechCapon:
I don't think so. We cannot play video games on whatsapp, cannot make payments on whatsapp and so on but all that can be done on wechat. It's more of a Facebook rival than whatsapp.

Wechat and Whatapp are the main rivals. They could have one or two advantages over one another but they are still the real rivals. WhatsApp payment is possible, make more research bro

3 Likes

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by flyca: 3:01pm On Jul 18, 2018
The funny thing is that all these American versions are banned and blocked in China. Whatsapp, Google, Youtube just name it. So you must download and use the Chinese versions, most of which now have English translations by the way.

Example: After DiDi Taxi gained grounds in China, they ousted Uber out (with strict policies and stringent measures). Eventually, Uber left China, they left more than two years ago. Now its DiDi all over.

Whatsapp, Google, Amazon etc all blocked.
Except you start using VPN which is illegal, difficult to get, and they'll still be frustrating you with bad and unstable network connections angry

So the alternative is to ask your people abroad to download those apps for them to keep in touch with you. Do you see their intelligent marketing strategy?

Chinese government is really smart, run by highly intelligent and futuristic leaders with goodwill for their nation and people as priority.

So I laugh when I see them come to Africa, and expliot Africans (like the topic on frontpage today) and Africans still shout "good development". First of all, ask yourself, "is China Father Christmas"? undecided Fire!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by centboy123456(m): 3:25pm On Jul 18, 2018
Gizmomachine:

what is s full meaning of vk
Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by TechCapon(m): 3:48pm On Jul 18, 2018
flyca:
The funny thing is that all these American versions are banned and blocked in China. Whatsapp, Google, Youtube just name it. So you must download and use the Chinese versiom most of which now have English translations by the way.

Example: After DiDi Taxi gained grounds in China, they ousted Uber out (with strict policies and stringent measures). Eventually, Uber left China, they left more than two years ago. Now its DiDi all over.

Whatsapp, Google, Amazon etc all blocked.
Except you start using VPN which is illegal, difficult to get, and they'll still be frustrating you with bad and unstable network connections angry

So the alternative is to ask your people abroad to download those apps for them to keep in touch with you. Can you seen their marketing strategy?

Chinese government is really smart, run by highly intelligent and futuristic people with goodwill for their nation and people as priority.

So I laugh when I see them come to Africa, and expliot Africans (like the topic on frontpage today) and Africans still shout "good development". Fire!
sounds like you live in China. Nice.

1 Like

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by Daviddson(m): 4:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
Gizmomachine:
Wrong. VK is Russia's version of Facebook. The current founder of Telegram used to be one of the founders of VK until he was edged out due to his refusal to hand over message encryption keys to the Russian government.

3 Likes

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by Quelme: 5:15pm On Jul 18, 2018
VK is Russian.
VKontakte

2 Likes

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by Quelme: 5:17pm On Jul 18, 2018
centboy123456:

VKontakte

1 Like

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by samuelchimmy(m): 5:31pm On Jul 18, 2018
Gizmomachine:
vk is a Russian app

1 Like

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by lenghtinny(m): 6:10pm On Jul 18, 2018
centboy123456:

Vkontakte is the Russian version of Facebook. Way popular than Facebook in Eastern Europe.

The English translation is " In contact" .

1 Like

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 18, 2018
If so how can one cope in China with all these their strict laws and difficult language?
Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jul 18, 2018
Ctrl C' hina.
Make Biafra do land make I clone my own nairaland SunLand smiley

2 Likes

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by ollah2: 6:26pm On Jul 18, 2018
krattoss:
If so how can one cope in China with all these their strict laws and difficult language?

Chinese aren't complaining
Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by GreatrAnalyst: 6:29pm On Jul 18, 2018
Very informative.
I am a witness of UC browser. I have always preferred it to chrome, for more than 3 years now. The truth is it is actually chrome underneath. Its extensions are that of chrome also

1 Like

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 18, 2018
TechCapon:
TechCapon

6. WEIBO vs TWITTER

Whether Twitter likes it or not, Weibo has come to stay. It’s the hottest microblogging service in China now. It consumes 90% market shares of China’s microblogging services.It is also called SINA WEIBO and it is the exact Chinese version of Twitter but has more features than Twitter and is growing faster than Twitter. If you want to follow Chinese celebrities (LOL), Weibo is definitely the right place .

7. iQiyi vs NetFlix

Chinese companies have very WEIRD NAMES I tell you. Which one is iQiyi ? Well don’t bother trying to pronounce it, you might bite your tongue. This online video platform backed by search giant Baidu is the NETFLIX of China. They now have more than 500 million active users, with 50.8 million fully paid-up subscribers. While free content is still available to those users who don’t pay, this excludes exclusive iQiyi productions. Netflix licensed its own shows to iQiyi earlier this year after struggling to enter the Chinese market naturally.

8. UC Browser vs CHROME

So many Nigerians don’t know it but UC Browser is actually a Chinese Browser developed by the Chinese mobile Internet company UCWeb, which is in turn owned by the Alibaba Group. As of February 2018 it is the third most popular mobile browser in the world by market share, after Google Chrome and Safari. It is built to rival Google Chrome and it has done an extremely good job and is very popular all over the world. For me UC Browser is better than Chrome in terms of downloading large files such as movies and it’s faster too. It’s dificult to believe China can build some as good as this.

9. TANTAN vs TINDER.

TANTAN is the biggest dating App in China and is the exact copycat version of American dating App Tinder. The company follows the familiar formula of having you swipe left or right on random singles in the hopes of finding a match and hooking up.

Taobao vs EBay and so on... The list is endless

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/chinas-silicon-valley-checkout-these-amazing-chinese-version-of-top-american-software-companies/

lalasticlala
mynd44
dominique
Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by pat077: 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2018
Of all the Chinese apps, it's only ucweb that I like
Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by Abeos(m): 6:49pm On Jul 18, 2018
Chinese government really trying all means to make their population an advantage

1 Like

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by ken6488(m): 6:54pm On Jul 18, 2018
pat077:
Of all the Chinese apps, it's only ucweb that I like
me too oo
Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by mankand(m): 7:00pm On Jul 18, 2018
Gizmomachine:

Vk or vkontacte is Russian version of Facebook but more interesting than Facebook due to its music section
Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by chloride6: 8:19pm On Jul 18, 2018
Gizmomachine:

Vk is Russian
Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by somito121(m): 10:53pm On Jul 18, 2018
This is highly commendable but here in Africa, government is all about witch hunting people instead of developing the country. To be frank with all of you Nigeria can never work except the citizen kills ethnicity, religious bigotry, tribalism and hatred. I wish we coulddo something similar.
Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by chukxie(m): 12:43am On Jul 19, 2018
The Chinese government is smart when it comes to creating wealth for itself and it's people. Honestly speaking, Nigeria would fare much better if it copied some of China's business models.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by flyca: 1:45am On Jul 19, 2018
Another thing to note is that China does not have prenium technologies, not yet. What they do is that they can go any length, pay any amount in this whole world to grab technological documents from technologically advanced countries in Europe and America. Also can pay exorbitantly to get their staff trained by the owners of the core tech. Then viola!

Give them two years, just two years, they will remodel that technology, retweek it here and there and present to the world a "brand new" technology!

My company paid more that 150,000RMB to get a software called Bladed from England. Just software o. And it's just one year authorization, allows only one computer at a time. Lol. Also they will come to train staff on the usage - 15 hours a week for 4 weeks at another mind-buggling sum! We are all on it now. Hehe

There is actually nothing wrong with that per say. The strategy is good because it works for them!

For instance:
1. Uber came out as just a car hailing service, convey you from point A to B, maybe with GPS services, I don't know. But you need to see what DiDi is today! Apart from these basic services, they have gone steps higher to introduce more car-hailing options, very multifunctional, very smart APP, very flexible too.

Kuai che - If you are in a hurry, from point A to B
Shunfeng che - You can book ahead, say you wanna leave at 5pm, you can book it hours or even days ahead.
VIP che - With this option, you can hail a very touché car, even Hummer Jeep sef - well dressed, kitted up drivers and professional services, for those that value the art of classy arrivals to events.
Gongjiao che - If you are going to switch to public bus midway.
Daima - Let's say you hang out and get drunk, they'll send a driver to take you home in your own car.
Self-drive Rental - Self explainatory name right?
They've started selling second hand cars too.

Same thing they did with Wechat. With wechat now, no one needs to look for change after a purchase, you can scan or get scanned to pay for anything and everything, you can send your real-time location, shake your phone with someone at the same time and the phones connect, make new friends within a range, news feeds, mini programs, games + ranking with your contacts, favorites, mobile top-up, paying utility bills etc.

They also support third-party APPs. Classy right?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: China’s Silicon Valley: Checkout Amazing Chinese Version Of Top American Apps. by phemmyfour: 5:36am On Jul 19, 2018
Its wechat/WhatsApp not Facebook.

Apart from uc browser and alibaba, others are relatively struggling

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why You Should Dump Your Android Phone Now / Does BB Torch 3 9860 Hotspot Work With MTN? / My Mtn Can't Receive Calls Nor SMS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.