Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Examination Malpractice In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Examination Malpractice In Nigeria (11200 Views)

Names Of JAMB Candidates Involved In Exam Malpractice In 2020 UTME / Identical Twin Brothers Arrested For Alleged Exam Malpractice In Borno / Plateau And Oyo States Lead In Exam Malpractice In NECO Nov/Dec SSCE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by OracleDiet(m): 1:41am On Jul 21, 2018
"Life Itself is an Examination"

Its has been ascertained that learning is incomplete without a test to show how much has been grasped of what have been learnt, that the major reason examination tends to appear in all classes learning (both formal and informal).

In Nigeria alone; there are millions of students sitting for different examinations, where supposedly only the best are chosen and the rest get nothing. Amidst this competition to stand out and rise with the best, Examination Malpractice is born.

Examination Malpractice is a vice practiced at all levels of educational institutions and Exam boards nationwide. To any desperate student; these venture would sound promising - Easy Pass, Less Hard-work and an easy life through school. But just like every other vices it has its consequences, Naive students and real hard-worker who actually put time and effort into reading are being overlooked for money's sake. There is a reversal in fortune as the failures win and the winners fail.

The Administrators (Lecturers/Teachers) who are supposed to educate the students have also joined the trend, promising students A's in their subjects/courses just for extra cash or in wanting to satisfy their carnal desire promise mark for sex.

Such demoralizing situation is just another paint to the already tainted image of the country.

Teachers encouraging student to contribute money to bribe invigilators during External exams, Swapping of Examination results, Impersonation and many more are factors which can seriously deteriorate the morals of any student and make them view cheating as a way of life.

If the student who grew up with this belief supposedly finds his way into a political seat, what happens The Country will only be plunged deeper into the depth of corruption.

So far the solution provided for Examination malpractice has been punishments for the offenders which is hardly enough as culprit often never see the Court house or face punishments.

I suggest an outlet should be provided to facilitate the easy access to reach out to the student in all levels of education, creating awareness on the dangers and consequences of examination malpractices. Vocational Courses should also be encouraged alongside the standard educational subject's so that those who have little interest in the latter can utilize their talent elsewhere.

I believe putting in these preambles will help go a long way in eradicating examination malpractice and ensuring a brighter tomorrow.

© Osedebamen Mary Julius popularly known as REBEL is a writer with a creative flair for unconventional stories. In her free time she enjoys reading, playing games and debating on unnecessary topics.

Edited by D' Oracle...

https://www.dprimeguide.com/2018/07/examination-malpractice-in-nigeria.html?m=0

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by yungmaestro(m): 7:15am On Jul 21, 2018
My view about this issue is that exam malpractise needs to be tackled from the scratch.if possible from primary education.if it is not done that way,dose kids will grow and later find themselves in seat of power;then corruption starts..God bless Nigeria.
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by alienvirus: 7:15am On Jul 21, 2018
Unfortunately, the students that bribed in their school days are teachers of today. They have absolutely nothing to offer. They consult 1940 textbooks, force students to memorize what they have copied in the old books. Any student that reproduces it based on his understanding will definitely fail.

Nigerian educational system is a mess.

10 Likes

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Olalan(m): 7:16am On Jul 21, 2018
Unfortunately students in this age don't want to read rather will find a way either by paying in cash or kind

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Ukalejohn(m): 7:16am On Jul 21, 2018
No be today
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Terver90: 7:16am On Jul 21, 2018
Students prefer social life to studies, and they still want to pass by all means.
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:17am On Jul 21, 2018
Will there ever be an end to it?!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by samuelchimmy(m): 7:17am On Jul 21, 2018
I got c6 parallel in my first and only WAEC...
but I'm proud of that result,,and will always be

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by akanbiebenezer(m): 7:18am On Jul 21, 2018
post=69569646:
Will there ever be an end to it?!
lailai...till jesus comes
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by dingbang(m): 7:18am On Jul 21, 2018
To me I don't think exams are necessary...

If I were a lecturer, I'd take tests for each lecture given on the next lecture day. Let's say I lecture today, the test for that lecture will hold the next Saturday, and after the test, lecture continues. Then after the semester, I combine all the scores and score the student with respect to his or her aggregate score.

9 Likes

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Radiant1020(f): 7:21am On Jul 21, 2018
Where I served in Katsina eh, the student lived and slept in malpractice. They don't see it as anything bad... In fact they see a student as intelligent when engaged in malpractice because the extra dull ones no even sabi copy...

7 Likes

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by chingymingy: 7:26am On Jul 21, 2018
Truly solutions to Nigeria's problems are education and enlightenment, our foundations here are completely ruined.

1 Like

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by johnmba: 7:26am On Jul 21, 2018
Its not easyoooo sometimes cheating is necessary but not good

1 Like

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Talkwell: 7:28am On Jul 21, 2018
Radiant1020:
Where I served in Katsina eh, the student lived and slept in malpractice. They don't see it as anything bad... In fact they see a student as intelligent when engaged in malpractice because the extra dull ones no even sabi copy...

grin

1 Like

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Meel: 7:32am On Jul 21, 2018
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 21, 2018
It is very common among the northern States. They see malpractice as a normal act.
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Adebowhales(m): 7:37am On Jul 21, 2018
was so intelligent back in school

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by TreasureJunky: 7:38am On Jul 21, 2018
Exam malpractice to students in Nigeria is like what corruption is to politicians... It's cancerous, it will be hard to wipe out
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by zicoraads: 7:39am On Jul 21, 2018
Radiant1020:
It's not about Katsina alone. Terrible doesn't even begin to describe what I saw in Kaduna. And if someone thinks it's a regional problem, Imo State too was the same experience for me. What these kids do in WAEC is terrible. And now, we have adults who just go into the halls and do the entire work for them. When I go over scripts of students from particular schools and they try to hide the fact that someone wrote all their English papers for them, I laugh at their ignorance.

If we are serious about stamping out examination malpractice, then we need to start from the teachers as well. And schools. If schools and teachers are serious about what they ought to do. And refuse to create an enabling environment for students who want to cheat, I strongly believe the problem will be solved.

8 Likes

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Radiant1020(f): 7:46am On Jul 21, 2018
zicoraads:

It's not about Katsina alone. Terrible doesn't even begin to describe what I saw in Kaduna. And if someone thinks it's a regional problem, Imo State too was the same experience for me. What these kids do in WAEC is terrible. And now, we have adults who just go into the halls and do the entire work for them. When I go over scripts of students from particular schools and they try to hide the fact that someone wrote all their English papers for them, I laugh at their ignorance.

If we are serious about stamping out examination malpractice, then we need to start from the teachers as well. And schools. If schools and teachers are serious about what they ought to do. And refuse to create an enabling environment for students who want to cheat, I strongly believe the problem will be solved.

You re right... In fact the educational system in Nigeria needs to be purged

1 Like

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by centoke30(m): 7:48am On Jul 21, 2018
Asin eh, in my PPA self, you will see students that will write everything on an answer sheet at home n bring it to the exam hall, 30mins to go and they will bring it out and tell you that they are done but the want to recopy it into a neat answer sheet only for them to pick the correct answers and write.
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by kereman1: 7:54am On Jul 21, 2018
To any desperate student; these venture would sound promising - Easy Pass, Less Hard-work and an easy life through school.

I like that... those of us guilty of this, Pls identify here wit me.
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by badthinds: 8:01am On Jul 21, 2018
... "there are millions of
students sitting for different
examinations, where supposedly only
the best are chosen and the rest GET NOTHING."

Firstly, I'll like to remind us that humans, just like every other species compete to survive. It would be an ill reasoning to think that this competition is limited to only 'moral' / good or 'healthy' competition.

I grew up leaning how vices are unhealthy. Fact.

But in Nigeria and every other part of the world, people with such tendencies (eg 'corruption') are more successful on the average.

I have no issues with whatever a human does to survive (as its our primary goal) inasmuch as doing the 'immoral' things is most likely to get you caught up in a hot pot with the laws of the society.

I wonder why we preach against malpractice if those who practice such 'vices', we believe, would be the once to pay for it.

Back to the original topic of Malpractice in Nigeria.

I've been to many schools in rural areas and the fact no one wants to address is the standard of the schools (using most schools in rural areas as a case study) and the competence of most of their teachers. The fact is that over 80% of the students in such areas are not just capable of sitting for (eg WAEC) independently to pass with the least pass mark.

Now, we claim to have their interest at heart...thats why we even get students to understand the future implications of such practices.
But if we are not hypocrites, lets consider the following:
1. Majority of these students hustle the exuberant fees (WAEC, NECO) themselves
2. They lack the ability to sit independently and pass.

In this case, would you sincerely advise them to sit on their own and fail? Hustle another money to re-register to continue to face the same fate like an endless loop?
The financial implications are just unbearable!.

Hey, don't get me wrong here. I'm clearly not an ambassador for Exam Malpractice, I've only accessed schools in rural areas (which are greater in number). I just reason out of conventional biased reasoning.

So in conclusion: if someone can cheat his or her way through all the institutions (which is virtually impossible) and have a good career, get employed and not get fired for incompetence...then fine! That someone has survived through his/her method.

I believe no survival instinct is superior to another... That's simply ill thinking. One thing is certain, nature would definitely filter those who don't have what it takes!.

Sincerely, badthinds.

5 Likes

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by qanda: 8:05am On Jul 21, 2018
Ok
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by mustafa006: 8:05am On Jul 21, 2018
Dreythecreator:
It is very common among the northern States. They see malpractice as a normal act.
so it's not common in the south abi?

1 Like

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Hasheem1hash(m): 8:14am On Jul 21, 2018
Radiant1020:
Same here in where I'm serving in bayelsa state.

1 Like

Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Radiant1020(f): 8:23am On Jul 21, 2018
Hasheem1hash:
Same here in where I'm serving in bayelsa state.

No be small thing
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by HouseOfWine: 8:48am On Jul 21, 2018
To me due to Nigerian lecturers love of handouts , the best form of a test would be oral presentation...
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Geesaintagape: 8:52am On Jul 21, 2018
Exam malpractice is called help in Nigeria. Back then 2010 I went to visit a pastor I asked him of his son to my uttermost surprise he said he went to write write waec exam in Benin.I asked why far Benin not his school he said they gave help to students in Benin.
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 21, 2018
Re: Examination Malpractice In Nigeria by lobell: 10:21am On Jul 21, 2018
dingbang:
To me I don't think exams are necessary...

If I were a lecturer, I'd take tests for each lecture given on the next lecture day. Let's say I lecture today, the test for that lecture will hold the next Saturday, and after the test, lecture continues. Then after the semester, I combine all the scores and score the student with respect to his or her aggregate score.

Your madness will come so swiftly. Try this nonsense on say about 4000 100level students taking Chemistry 101 or 300 400level students taking a 2credit unit course that requires 2 hours contact time every week. Then multiply your madness by the number of courses you are teaching.

And it is..."if I was a lecturer", not "were" like you so boldly put it. Goes to show why you are not one.

I wonder the loafers who gave you likes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

OOU Post Jamb Result Is Finally Out!2010/2011 / LASU To Graduate 21 First-Class Students / Police Arrest EBSU Students Protesting A Month Power Outage (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.