Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year (22427 Views)

Mistakes Students Should Never Make In The University / First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. / Tuition Fees For New (100L) Covenant University Students 2017/2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by 24hoursreporter: 8:20am On Jul 23, 2018
Nothing is as interesting as freedom especially if you have been living with your parents all your life. This is why most freshers make certain mistakes in their first year. Always remember the reason you are in school – to study and obtain a degree. As a rule, never allow yourself to be deceived by what you see on campus. Most of them aren’t real. This article will focus on the costly mistakes university students make in their first year.

As a matter of fact, most of the mistakes students make on campus are as a result of bad company. Therefore, the first rule of survival on campus is to choose your company wisely. And the friends you move with can either contribute to yourself or instrumental to your downfall.

Furthermore, if you make these mistakes in your first, they may affect you academically, physically, emotionally and psychologically. So, check out some of these mistakes University students make in their first year.

Top 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year

#1 Lack of Proper Guide

One of the mistakes University students make in their first year is that they don’t have proper guide. As a matter of fact, they behave as if they were the first people to get admitted.

Funny enough, some of them think once they see their name on the admission list, that is all. Unfortunately, this has led to the downfall of many students. Some end up dropping out of school.

As a rule, what every fresh student should do is to ask intelligent questions about their school, department, and other areas. Therefore, you need to be guided in the following areas as a fresh student;

Resumption date
Clearance date
Required documents
Updates on course registration
School fees payment deadline
Reading pattern
Structure of examination question
Marking scheme
How to avoid missing scripts or absent cases
Understanding how to cope with school stress.

#2 Giving Room For Distraction

As a first-year student in any Nigerian University, giving room for distraction is the beginning of your failure. Sincerely, there are different distractions on campus and they come in different form.

Try to identify these distractions and distanced yourself from them. Some of the common distraction you may encounter on campus are;

Social activities
Pretty girls and handsome boys
Parasitic relationship
Campus fellowship.

It is always important for you to set priorities as a student, this will enable you to make use of your time productively.

#3 Social Life

This is one of the most common mistakes university students make in their first year. Having a social life on campus is not only good but necessary. However, don’t allow too many social activities to distract you from your study.

So, by the time you want to make friend with everybody and attend all shows that come your way, then there is a problem. Try to minimize your social life and don’t allow it to overshadow your studies.

#4 Skipping Classes

Skipping classes is another mistake students make. They will always say “Who Class help”. Well, if the class is not helping anybody, then what are you doing in school?

#5 Start Reading When Exam Is close

This particular habit is common among most students. They will not read until the examination timetable is out. They will end up reading aggressively and some may even fall sick.

In fact, most Nigerian University health centers are always occupied during examination period. This is as a result of unnecessary reading stress students drew to themselves.

#6 Focus more on Dressing

This is also among the costly mistakes University students make in their first year. They will rather be slaying than taking their studies seriously. In fact, they can even spend their school fees and textbook money on fashion.

#7 Going To Night Class In Group

This is very common among 100L students. They will always go to night class in group. And they end up spending more time joking and discussing and less time studying.

#8 I Know It All Attitude

Most first-year students always have this ” I Too Know Attitude”. They will never humble themselves and learn. However, when their first result is published, most of the ITK students will humble themselves unconsciously.

#9 Not Taking GST Courses Serious

Most first-year students in Nigerian Universities never take their GST courses serious. Some will assume it is very simple and end up reading a day to exam. While others simply hate doing GST.

However, if you don’t take your GST courses serious, it may affect your GPA.

#10 Trying To Please Everyone

The last mistakes University students make in their first year is trying to please everyone. This is simply not possible. Always do the right thing and forget what people think about you.

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/07/23/top-10-costly-mistakes-university-students-make-in-their-first-year/

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 23, 2018
I completely agree with this!!!
Meanwhile guys, buy your cheap data now.
Quick and easy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by 24hoursreporter: 9:31am On Jul 23, 2018
Fyi0:
I completely agree with this!!!

Meanwhile guys, buy your cheap data now.

Quick and easy

Thank you

2 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Jabarzee(m): 9:32am On Jul 23, 2018
How is campus fellowship a distraction

1 Like

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Dranoid: 10:00am On Jul 23, 2018
Jabarzee:
Bro, you have to understand that too much of everything is not good. He didn't say you shouldn't go but when it starts encroaching into your study time, you should know that you need to slow down

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by 24hoursreporter: 10:52am On Jul 23, 2018
Jabarzee:

When it is overshadowing your studies it becomes an issue. Because as a student of any institution, your first loyalty is to your study before any other thing. this is because if you aren't on campus, you will not be attending campus fellowship.

10 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by PUSSYBBQGRILLS(f): 11:31am On Jul 23, 2018
Distraction is the major issue.
Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by chloride6: 11:32am On Jul 23, 2018
Who class help?
Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Tokziby: 11:33am On Jul 23, 2018
No 11. Living very far from the school cos of low cost or luxury. There are times lectures are very early or late but due to traffic or other constraints u'll fail to attend. And sometimes u feel very lazy cos distance and thinking u can always catch up with the course.
In addition avoid coming from home no matter the distance. If ur parents are not sending u on errands or house chores, u will feel too comfortable and loose focus. And u'll end up missing 30-40% of lectures

7 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by IAmGeorgeous(f): 11:33am On Jul 23, 2018
This post is very nice
A word is enough for the wise

2 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by IMASTEX: 11:33am On Jul 23, 2018
True

2 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Thebwoy: 11:34am On Jul 23, 2018
not taking GST serious is common
It is believed that one can't fail GST.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by lilmax(m): 11:35am On Jul 23, 2018
3rd class people grin

when they f up they begin to say things like "school is not important"

when they see private university with first class students, that's when they tell you ,you should come to their school to make the first class grin

dumbass people, life has consequences, face them

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Nicklaus619(m): 11:36am On Jul 23, 2018
Nice right up Oop, u just got the point right

2 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Thebwoy: 11:37am On Jul 23, 2018
#11 playing video/laptop game

2 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 23, 2018
Op
I chased girls in school, lots of them, ate em all
Went to all the parties, I mean all, so much that I don't sleep in my lodge most times
Went to church every Sunday
Stopped going to night class
I don't miss lectures but I hardly write notes, everything is in the handout for study
I don't joke with any subject
I don't please anyone
I slayed in dressing for my girls
Start going to intensive night class a month to exam
I flexxed
Flexxed
Flexxed some more
But I turned put okay.
Ikenga

3 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Maj196(m): 11:42am On Jul 23, 2018
Diary of Engine guys. 100L: I want to make first class 200L: It's not a must I make first class. 2:1 is okay. 300L: I will manage 2:2. Who first or 2:1 epp. 400L: Make i just graduate. I don taya abeg. 500L: Make i enter street go hustle joor.

12 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Dehnis4001: 11:44am On Jul 23, 2018
like ur peers on nairaland
Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Tokziby: 11:49am On Jul 23, 2018
Swargu:
Op
I chased girls in school, lots of them, ate em all
Went to all the parties, I mean all, so much that I don't sleep in my lodge most times
Went to church every Sunday
Stopped going to night class
I don't miss lectures but I hardly write notes, everything is in the handout for study
I don't joke with any subject
I don't please anyone
I slayed in dressing for my girls
Start going to intensive night class a month to exam
I flexxed
Flexxed
Flexxed some more
But I turned put okay.
Ikenga

That's what worked for u but may not work for others.
You must be 100% guilty of misleading most of ur friends cos ur ways tongue They'll be thinking if u can do it they can also achieve it but would be too late for them to realise they've been wrong.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by RevenGeMission: 11:49am On Jul 23, 2018
Women
Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by ElRapido: 11:51am On Jul 23, 2018
Who class help? In my first year, I attended class only 6 times and I finished 100L with 4.58 CGPA.
Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by RobbStark(m): 11:53am On Jul 23, 2018
chloride6:
Who class help?

By their comments, you shall know them.
Students, stay away from the above kind of people.

OP, nice write up. wehdone

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by qanda: 11:54am On Jul 23, 2018
One of the costly mistake is not know what they want and not asking questions from those ahead of them.
Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by akanbiebenezer(m): 11:56am On Jul 23, 2018
ezeun

1 Like

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by RobbStark(m): 11:57am On Jul 23, 2018
ElRapido:
Who class help? In my first year, I attended class only 6 times and I finished 100L with 4.58 CGPA.

Liar Mohammed

2 Likes

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by chloride6: 11:57am On Jul 23, 2018
RobbStark:

By their comments, you shall know them.

Students, stay away from the above kind of people.

OP, nice write up.
wehdone

Once again, who class help?

That 1 hour dragnet test is more important than your 4 years of schooling undecided
Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by Yinxies(f): 11:59am On Jul 23, 2018
Very good post...

1 Like

Re: 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year by dynamiteclassic(m): 12:24pm On Jul 23, 2018
24hoursreporter:
Nothing is as interesting as freedom especially if you have been living with your parents all your life. This is why most freshers make certain mistakes in their first year. Always remember the reason you are in school – to study and obtain a degree. As a rule, never allow yourself to be deceived by what you see on campus. Most of them aren’t real. This article will focus on the costly mistakes university students make in their first year.

As a matter of fact, most of the mistakes students make on campus are as a result of bad company. Therefore, the first rule of survival on campus is to choose your company wisely. And the friends you move with can either contribute to yourself or instrumental to your downfall.

Furthermore, if you make these mistakes in your first, they may affect you academically, physically, emotionally and psychologically. So, check out some of these mistakes University students make in their first year.

Top 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year

#1 Lack of Proper Guide

One of the mistakes University students make in their first year is that they don’t have proper guide. As a matter of fact, they behave as if they were the first people to get admitted.

Funny enough, some of them think once they see their name on the admission list, that is all. Unfortunately, this has led to the downfall of many students. Some end up dropping out of school.

As a rule, what every fresh student should do is to ask intelligent questions about their school, department, and other areas. Therefore, you need to be guided in the following areas as a fresh student;

Resumption date
Clearance date
Required documents
Updates on course registration
School fees payment deadline
Reading pattern
Structure of examination question
Marking scheme
How to avoid missing scripts or absent cases
Understanding how to cope with school stress.

#2 Giving Room For Distraction

As a first-year student in any Nigerian University, giving room for distraction is the beginning of your failure. Sincerely, there are different distractions on campus and they come in different form.

Try to identify these distractions and distanced yourself from them. Some of the common distraction you may encounter on campus are;

Social activities
Pretty girls and handsome boys
Parasitic relationship
Campus fellowship.

It is always important for you to set priorities as a student, this will enable you to make use of your time productively.

#3 Social Life

This is one of the most common mistakes university students make in their first year. Having a social life on campus is not only good but necessary. However, don’t allow too many social activities to distract you from your study.

So, by the time you want to make friend with everybody and attend all shows that come your way, then there is a problem. Try to minimize your social life and don’t allow it to overshadow your studies.

#4 Skipping Classes

Skipping classes is another mistake students make. They will always say “Who Class help”. Well, if the class is not helping anybody, then what are you doing in school?

#5 Start Reading When Exam Is close

This particular habit is common among most students. They will not read until the examination timetable is out. They will end up reading aggressively and some may even fall sick.

In fact, most Nigerian University health centers are always occupied during examination period. This is as a result of unnecessary reading stress students drew to themselves.

#6 Focus more on Dressing

This is also among the costly mistakes University students make in their first year. They will rather be slaying than taking their studies seriously. In fact, they can even spend their school fees and textbook money on fashion.

#7 Going To Night Class In Group

This is very common among 100L students. They will always go to night class in group. And they end up spending more time joking and discussing and less time studying.

#8 I Know It All Attitude

Most first-year students always have this ” I Too Know Attitude”. They will never humble themselves and learn. However, when their first result is published, most of the ITK students will humble themselves unconsciously.

#9 Not Taking GST Courses Serious

Most first-year students in Nigerian Universities never take their GST courses serious. Some will assume it is very simple and end up reading a day to exam. While others simply hate doing GST.

However, if you don’t take your GST courses serious, it may affect your GPA.

#10 Trying To Please Everyone

The last mistakes University students make in their first year is trying to please everyone. This is simply not possible. Always do the right thing and forget what people think about you.

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/07/23/top-10-costly-mistakes-university-students-make-in-their-first-year/

You right ...
Ain't it all about making money...

mistakes are parts of what makes us human, whatever will be will be..

You might be perfect in school and still be looking for a Job right now..

Mistake or no mistake doesn't mean you won't get a Job in time..

In the meantime contact me if you need this below
You might as well follow my signature

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? / Meet Olugbenga Alabi: OOU's First Distinction In Medicine / Where Can I Download Full Further Maths Project 2 Textbook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.