Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,603 members, 7,816,500 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years (15743 Views)

10 Unfairly Tough Video Game Bosses That Are Literally Impossible To Defeat / Video Games That Killed People In Real Life (Photos, Video) / EA Sports Makers Of Popular Video Game FIFA Gets Embarrassed See Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 23, 2018
http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-popular-video-games-that-will-die-in-the-next-5-years

The video game business is absolutely ruthless. More so now than in any past period, due to the sheer amount of money riding on any blockbuster property, character appeal, set of mechanics or anything in between, only the abject "best" ideas ever get let through.

Littered with microtransactions and pay-to-play mentalities, the likes of Destiny, Agents of Mayhem, Metal Gear Survive, FIFA, Call of Duty and more are focused on mechanics over narratives; on treating each player like a walking ATM than delivering something worthwhile.

This approach can be fine depending on how these additional spending methods are implemented (just look at Overwatch and Fortnite), but the shift in focus towards creating games that are "platforms" has damaged more properties than its benefited.

Ask anyone who grew up playing games in any decade prior to this one, and they'll remember a time when experimentation was at the forefront of the industry. When narratives, characters, boss battles and plot twists were talked about by
everyone , not just a game's respective fanbase.

It's imminently obvious that MANY of gaming's biggest names are all out of ideas, and this age of money-sucking gameplay systems over everything else has to come to an end.

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 23, 2018
10. Destiny

Current Status: Though you can assume that Bungie's "10 year deal" with Activision was to release sequential Destiny instalments all the way to 2024, the reality is that is actually expires in 2020 . This is almost besides the point as the franchises's plummeting popularity is more disastrous than any business mandate, but it's worth noting that Bungie are already behind on schedule, and even then, it's highly unlikely the series will still be going strong after this decade concludes.

Speaking of its popularity, Destiny has gone from one monumental disappointment to another. From a threadbare release state reliant on DLC and patches to make it worthwhile, to paid-for ammo types, a grind-heavy, unrewarding mentality and endless balancing issues, you'll struggle to find anyone calling themselves a "Destiny fan" who's actually pleased with their purchase.

The Future: As mentioned, Destiny is in a terrible place right now. Its player base continues to fall off the face of the Earth, as Bungie's PR messaging as been straight-up off-putting. There's no meaningful story to further after Destiny 2 phoned in the most generic "stop the big evil alien" narrative possible, and that's before you get to the realisation that Bungie as a team of creatives are fundamentally not what they were across the 2000s.

Destiny is already done. It'll continue to get played through sheer hope of a truly rewarding experience over the horizon, but the reality is... Bungie are incapable of turning this around.

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 23, 2018
Far Cry

Current Status: With Far Cry 5 enduring multiple delays (not at ALL because of Trump's presidency and the continued fracturing of western society), the complete lack of hype or interest surrounding its release should be telling.

Now, the Far Cry games are genuinely very well made. After a handful of middling early entries, the prominent shift into adopting a more overblown tone in Far Cry 3 was a masterstroke. FC4 sadly felt like too much more of the same though, with Primal almost literally being a re-skin of what went before.

The Future: Action fans will no doubt pick up "the new Far Cry" for a good few years yet, but we're already seeing the repercussions of such forced sequelisation. Gone is anything close to the survivalist "grit" and identity the earlier games had, replaced with an open world formula of "whacky" villains and basic gunplay.

Again, Far Cry 3 through Primal have been really fun games, but add another five year's worth of arbitrary sequels and nowhere to go gameplay-wise, and you have a recipe for a lengthy hiatus or worse.

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 23, 2018
Assassin's Creed

Current Status: To be honest, Assassin's Creed: Origins genuinely restored faith in the franchise by taking a demonstrably wider approach to all the franchise's gameplay systems.

Gone was a world that felt like a glorified climbing frame, and in was a Witcher-inspired tapestry of side-quests, unlockables, costumes and experimentation.
Dark Souls combat, a loot system and Far Cry: Primal-inspired "drone combat" with pet eagle Senu expanded our main assassin's repertoire, but being that so many elements were so nakedly taken from other games, it didn't inspire true confidence about where we go from here.

The Future: If current rumours/leaks are to be believed, the next Assassin's Creed is codenamed "Dynasty", giving hope to the idea of it finally taking a main instalment to China or Japan. This would no doubt be well received, being fans have requested the far east since the franchise began, but let's be honest: Just how long can Ubisoft drag this out?

We've had the disastrous lows of AC: Unity, the resurgence of Syndicate and now Origins picking up discarded plot threads that propel the modern day narrative ever so slightly. It was enough to make Origins a "Oh thank god, they got it right this time", but with one box office bomb and no clear game plan, I'll be AMAZED if Assassin's Creed is still going in after 2023.

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 23, 2018
Halo

Current Status: After one of the worst Halo stories of the new trilogy (one where Master Chief literally accomplished nothing), even the base foundations of Halo have been chopped and changed to move with a FPS shooter market that ultimately imploded anyway.

Consider Titanfall - the development of which forced Activision to reframe Call of Duty in such a way - to combat competition that never materialised, as the first game failed to catch on. The whole time 343 Industries were analysing COD's gameplay staples, releasing Halo 5 as a hodgepodge of staples taken from both it and Halo's own history.

Add The Master Chief Collection too - a repackaging of some of the best FPS in gaming history... that remains unreliable and mostly unplayable to this day.
Now, in a market where Overwatch and Fortnite dominate, and even Call of Duty's return to World War II didn't make waves, Halo is left without a compelling story, without an identity, without a developer anybody trusts to deliver, and without a fanbase.

The Future: We'll get a Halo 6, sure - the "new trilogy" of games was always supposed to span Halo's 4 through 6 - but will the world care? Halo 5 sold the worst of the entire bunch, dogged by aforementioned issues of gameplay feel and a marketing campaign that flat-out lied about what the story would be about.

Although it was once THE first-person shooter of gaming; of the world, Halo just doesn't have the pull it once did. Even Microsoft seem to be pivoting into monthly subscription services and less exclusives as they pilfer their back catalogue, leaving Halo in a place of being utterly unnecessary.

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 23, 2018
Call Of Duty

Current Status: You know it, Activision knows it - we all know it.

Call of Duty's days are numbered, and have been ever since those in charge tried to pivot the design into a more "future-based" aesthetic.

I already detailed the whys and wherefores of this decision in the Halo entry, but sufficed to say, COD returning to World War II was the only move Activision could make when Battlefield 1 suitably ate their entire fanbase in 2016.

The Future: As a set of games, COD finds itself without any clear direction, personality or demonstrable need to flesh out its mechanics.

They're now damned if they stray too far from the "boots on the ground" path, and damned if they don't. Yes, we can get more Modern Warfare sequels or another Black Ops, but do you really see the fanbase sticking around for what is the same core feel, year-in, year-out, when we're in this state of flux?

There's a demonstrable need for innovation from fans and developers alike; a feeling of stagnation that certainly isn't going to go away - it's only going to get worse.

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 23, 2018
Mass Effect
Current Status: You couldn't make this up. After what remains one of the most stultifying displays of publisher meddling in gaming history, EA forcing Bioware to scrap plans for Mass Effect 3's ending resulted in a supremely hated finale that then meant the followup had to be something mighty special.

We needed a game that would restore faith in the brand, as millions of people regard Mass Effect as the best sci-fi franchise in gaming history, yet the reality was the borderline unplayable Mass Effect Andromeda.

A complete and utter laughing stock, it forced fans to make like those who enjoy the Bourne movies - essentially disregarding the "spin-off" for the sake of better main instalments.

The Future: There isn't one - at least for a long, LONG time. Andromeda's reception was so bad; so ridiculous, to be honest, that EA actually put the series on ice. Thawing it back out again means waiting long enough for gamers the world over to forget not one, but two massive missteps.

Mass Effect is officially in the doghouse, and Bioware are already all systems go on Anthem - a game that is guaran-damn-teed to be loaded with loot grinds and microtransactions.

Whoopee.

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 23, 2018
Metal Gear Series
Current Status: Metal Gear Solid is already dead. The reanimated corpse that is Metal Gear Survive - built from the remnants of MGS V's levels and given "life" by generic, business mandated design decisions - simply isn't "a Metal Gear game" in anything other than name.

Sales have been worse than disastrous so far, with a peak player count of 92% less than The Phantom Pain on Steam - and that's before we really take stock of how little the current band of hostag- employees remaining at Konami have to work with from here on out. Hell, decoded messages from within MG Survive point to many members of the team leaving secret messages that ostensibly exist only to get one up on Konami.

The Future: The only reason Survive existed at all was to cash in on Kojima Productions' FOX Engine, and to essentially butcher the canon of the franchise as Konami's own middle finger to Hideo Kojima himself.

Where they go from here is anybody's guess, but there's no creative lead; no semblance of character or forward momentum - nothing other than the most sterile, naked, soulless product possible.

MAYBE there's another "churned out" Metal Gear, but in 5 years this will be nothing more than a memory.

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by khalhokage(m): 8:15pm On Jul 23, 2018
There's a lot of outdated information in this article, where did you copy it from?

6 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jul 23, 2018
Nice article i enjoyed reading it but truth be told some of the information is outdated
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Allison012: 1:51am On Jul 24, 2018
Far Cry Mass Effect are going nowhere. even in the next 20 years

2 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 24, 2018
Snakeebig:
Nice article i enjoyed reading it but truth be told some of the information is outdated

outdated information which info was outdated?
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 7:04am On Jul 24, 2018
khalhokage:
There's a lot of outdated information in this article

interesting would love to know which of the information you said were outdated?
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by lekjons(m): 7:06am On Jul 24, 2018
Abeg make Far Cry no die..
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 7:10am On Jul 24, 2018
khalhokage:
There's a lot of outdated information in this article, where did you copy it from?

And you said I copied it from somewhere? I don't copy people's work bro and when I do I give credit to where credit is due.

cc: lalasticlala

4 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by kodded(m): 8:36am On Jul 24, 2018
when will they bring back another syphon filter game sad

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by khalhokage(m): 8:41am On Jul 24, 2018
Vasaratti16:

outdated information which info was outdated?

Ok, I may be wrong in my suggestion that you copied this but it is outdated, these are my reasons.

If current rumours/leaks are to be believed, the next Assassin's Creed is codenamed "Dynasty", giving hope to the idea of it finally taking a main instalment to China or Japan.
The next Assassin's Creed is Odyssey and it's set in ancient Greece, this has been announced for a while now and there's even gameplay trailers.

With Far Cry 5 enduring multiple delays (not at ALL because of Trump's presidency and the continued fracturing of western society), the complete lack of hype or interest surrounding its release should be telling.
Far Cry 5 has been out in world for months now and it came out to a very warm reception by Far Cry fans.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by LucemFerre: 10:28am On Jul 24, 2018
Halo won't die... Reason, it's the only thing Microsoft truly have
COD won't die... Reason, it's the only competition for BF
Far cry... Mm, I thought it got a reasonable amount of love from its fans

The rest mmm... I don't know and really don't care. AC should burn in hell though, that game never impress me

6 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by funmilade4real(m): 11:36am On Jul 24, 2018
DFBFH
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 24, 2018
I love assassin creed.

Grand Theft Auto is bae
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by tstx(m): 11:41am On Jul 24, 2018
Cool

See my signature
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by joeace2020(m): 11:41am On Jul 24, 2018
Okay
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by MobileGees: 11:42am On Jul 24, 2018
In the next five years PES and Gta will be dead

Don't ask me why, let's just wait and see
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by shox(m): 11:42am On Jul 24, 2018
Call if duty
That game no fit die Aswear.
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by HajimeSaito(m): 11:44am On Jul 24, 2018
Thank God you didn't mention the Grand Theft Auto series. For some reason I've always loved and preferred 3rd person shooter/sandbox games over 1st person games!

Leaving games aside and switching to football; as a Manchester United fan, I'm not feeling the new jersey. Who else is with me?

9 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Hydrolysis(m): 11:45am On Jul 24, 2018
I just came to announce that God has put asunder in the came of Our enemy( apc)

3 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 24, 2018
kodded:
when will they bring back another syphon filter game sad

Yea, you remind me of PS1 days. Finished that game severally. I wish the PS4 version could come up

4 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by superemmy(m): 11:46am On Jul 24, 2018
I thought God of War would be on this list?

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by LZAA: 11:46am On Jul 24, 2018
Vasaratti16:
@Vasaratti16
The video game business is absolutely ruthless. More so now than in any past period, due to the sheer amount of money riding on any blockbuster property, character appeal, set of mechanics or anything in between, only the abject "best" ideas ever get let through.

Littered with microtransactions and pay-to-play mentalities, the likes of Destiny, Agents of Mayhem, Metal Gear Survive, FIFA, Call of Duty and more are focused on mechanics over narratives; on treating each player like a walking ATM than delivering something worthwhile.

This approach can be fine depending on how these additional spending methods are implemented (just look at Overwatch and Fortnite), but the shift in focus towards creating games that are "platforms" has damaged more properties than its benefited.

Ask anyone who grew up playing games in any decade prior to this one, and they'll remember a time when experimentation was at the forefront of the industry. When narratives, characters, boss battles and plot twists were talked about by
everyone , not just a game's respective fanbase.

It's imminently obvious that MANY of gaming's biggest names are all out of ideas, and this age of money-sucking gameplay systems over everything else has to come to an end.
Nice article bro
Very spot on esp halo,mgs and cod
A series can only run for so long
I also see god of war ending real soon after the next one of course
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by Tapout(m): 11:47am On Jul 24, 2018
as long as FIFA dinor make de list, ayam not borthered smiley
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by LZAA: 11:48am On Jul 24, 2018
MobileGees:
In the next five years PES and Gta will be dead

Don't ask me why, let's just wait and see
Pes caused their downfall by copying fifa
GTA,hmm i doubt it,maybe after the 5 years but not within
Re: 10 Popular Video Games Series That Will Literally Die In The Next Five Years by DrayZee: 11:48am On Jul 24, 2018
I don't know about the others but Halo and COD are not dying anytime soon.

COD has a huge fanbase, too big to die out within five years, no matter how bad their releases are.

Halo has an average but extremely loyal fanbase. For them (me included), Halo is different from all other FPS games, and we won't be casting something like that away anytime soon. I'm yet to play Halo 5 but I know it can't be as bad as you made it out to be. Also, Halo has a vast back story, so it won't take Microsoft much to make a title that completely turns Halo's situation around.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Computer Games To Try Out Before The Year Runs Out / EA To Remove All Russian Clubs & The National Team From FIFA 22 / Nokia Torch Light Game Cheats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.