Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,028 members, 7,828,608 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk (1678 Views)

Calling On Nairaland Americans :) Pls I Need Cheap Way Of Getting To Los Angeles / Thanksgiving Party In Dallas: Inviting All Nairalanders In The Proximity / Calling On All Nigerians In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk by marcwolex: 7:14pm On Mar 27, 2007
hi,
I am appealing to all nairalanders to assist in giving me info on student surviving tips/getting job in london.i have been in london for over 4 months now without job,my daily routine is sleep-go to uni-search for jobs-go home to sleep.All the places i have applied to the only answer i get is that "sorry a more qulified person was hired" .the most annoying thing is when i applied to different call center as i was told i have poor confidence on the phone/lack british accent.infact i am fed up,walelead,muyiwabank guys what is the surviving tips i need to pay my bills
Re: Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk by naijacutee(f): 3:59am On Mar 28, 2007
Hmmm, this is very tricky. If you have small change to put down, you can go down the eBay route. Cos these days, they are competitors from Poland and Bulgaria looking desperately for jobs too. . . Even if these people can't speak a work of English, they are white, hence have "a higher qualification", sadly.

Your other option, seeing that you haven't had any experience working in the UK would be to do some volunteering work, just to build some experience (probably while doing the eBay thing). After a few months, you can put that down on your CV as work experience.

For job search in London, if you have access o the internet try :

www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk
www.gumtree.com
www.fish4jobs.co.uk
Off-license shops around your area.
I actually saw a vacancy in the window of a store in Finsbury Park.

Good luck and I wish you all the best!!
Re: Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk by Jalal(m): 11:32am On Mar 28, 2007
Yeah your best bet will be to go for a volunteering job, many abound if u know where to look. I applied for one too, from Nigeria and am coming down soon to London to start.
Re: Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk by muyiwabank(m): 4:53pm On Mar 28, 2007
my brother its not an easy thing at all because im not working too and i have been trying to get one,
so no tips at all bros.

the only thing i will tell you its that you should keep searching and dont expect an office work

try restaurant,labour work, mainly unskilled work

also you should be able to get care work

my brother just keep trying

to be sincere, its not easy
Re: Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk by marcwolex: 11:29pm On Apr 06, 2007
muyiwabank how far? i have finally got an office job of about £900 monthly after tax at least to keep one going,how far with your own searching in manchester
Re: Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk by kitaun(m): 1:34am On Apr 07, 2007
Where is Walelead?
Re: Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk by muyiwabank(m): 5:24pm On Apr 07, 2007
my brother im still searching but i know something will come up very soon.

i have not been serious with it really but i am now

and most of the places i applied has been calling me for interview

just hoping i will get something next week

all the best my brother
Re: Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk by English1(f): 9:43am On Apr 10, 2007
Good luck with your job hunt  cheesy Just keep trying.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It takes a lot of English people longer than that to find a job, so I wouldn't take it personally! It just took my son 6 months to find a new job.
Re: Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk by sexxxxy(f): 12:53pm On Apr 13, 2007
If u re a student,ur best bet is to get a market research interviewer job,its very flexible,u can choose ur own hours to suit u and it dosent require lots of experience,as long as u've got good communication skills

U can search for vacancies thru this link

http://www.londonjobs.co.uk/ and just type in market research interviewer jobs in the search bar,they update it daily,hope this helps

get ready though cos its a very boring job,
Re: Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk by orp: 10:58am On Apr 17, 2007
as a student you can't work more than 20 hrs in a week so you've got to work part time. There is high competition for jobs in London so I would advise you to look for jobs in Greater London outskirts where there is low competition for jobs or look for a job where you would be trained but paid minimum or less minimum wage or you for a SIA license with £250.00
I am assuring you that if you take any of these steps you will get a job.
Re: Calling On All Nairalanders In Uk by LondonCool(m): 12:00am On Apr 18, 2007
You can register with ADECCO or go to their office at 100 Oxford Circus and register with their Retail Section. No much work experience is needd .They will be sending you to work for various clients such as Top Shop ,Nike London, Debenhams on a daily basis . I got my first job break in London many years ago through them.

(1) (Reply)

In Need Of A Live In Nanny In The Uk / German Student Visa / Travel Out Of The Country With Academics Certificates.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.