Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? (7534 Views)

Afrique Depot- Classic Nigerian Novels and Pacesetters Novels / Where To Purchase Vintage Nigerian Novels? / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 12:50am On Jun 16, 2010
These are the ones I have read and own. Lets hear yours,

A Heart to Mend - Moi!
In my dreams it was simpler - FG and the Team
Love in Paradise - Lara Daniels
The Mrs Club - Ekene Onu
Zara the Windseeker
To Saint Patrick - Eghosa Imaseun
Measuring Time - Helon Habila
Becoming Abigail - Chris Abani

Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by iice(f): 11:51am On Jun 16, 2010
None
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by shakapoke(m): 11:55am On Jun 16, 2010
Pls where can i purchase these types of books in abuja

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by favouredjb(f): 11:58am On Jun 16, 2010
none sad
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by adedayo79: 11:59am On Jun 16, 2010
I pity Nigerians writters.The only ones i ever read was done out of compulsion many years ago.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by tomv(m): 12:18pm On Jun 16, 2010
To be frank None!!!!!!!
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Jephyard(m): 12:44pm On Jun 16, 2010
Nigerian Novel are really good those i ve read are spectacular and looking out for more
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by adedayo79: 12:45pm On Jun 16, 2010
I bought a volumnous novel by John Grisham for N250 but a Nigerian one would cost more.
Why not ban the importation?
Lol
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by acufes(m): 12:53pm On Jun 16, 2010
ill winds. but on the whole i read more of foreign novels
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by adedayo79: 12:56pm On Jun 16, 2010
Read Ill winds too.
Pappy Kay and co.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by OgunOnire1: 1:04pm On Jun 16, 2010
Ogboju Ode ninu Igbo Irunmale (The Forest of A Thousand Demons) - D. O. Fagunwa

I did not find this second reading as fascinating as when I first read as a kid.  On contemporary culture in South West Nigeria, I like reading Debo Awe, Sunday Adebowole and others
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by malenurse: 1:27pm On Jun 16, 2010
sozaboy - ken saro-wiwa
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by djcrucifix(m): 1:33pm On Jun 16, 2010
none, i never read one dis year.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by DoubleN(m): 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2010
None
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Bukittes(f): 2:46pm On Jun 16, 2010
do we have nigerian authors/novels? walahi i didnt know!!!
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by rachrich: 3:04pm On Jun 16, 2010
For this year ve' read all the Novels of Chimamnd Adichie, She is a very good writer.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by talk2ahmed(m): 3:45pm On Jun 16, 2010
, well the foreign books are really cheaper, read ken sarowiwa's Am month and a day, Purple Hibiscus, half of yellow sun and the thing arnd your neck, many short stories and anthologies too

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Bestglo(f): 3:49pm On Jun 16, 2010
i've not read any for quite sometime embarassed

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by wazobiang: 3:52pm On Jun 16, 2010
sho! naija dey write novel?
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by damilola15: 4:28pm On Jun 16, 2010
the only naija thing I have read lately is a few newspapers onlinie.
I'm trying to lay hands on any Chimamanda Adichie books.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Blazing99: 4:35pm On Jun 16, 2010
Go to www.kachifo.com if u need great nigerian novels. they publish Chimamanda
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by bandely(m): 5:22pm On Jun 16, 2010
Sunset in Biafra - Elechi Amadi
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Redman44(m): 5:23pm On Jun 16, 2010
I've not read any Nigerian novel for some time and I'm feeling ashamed embarassed embarassed embarassed  I have read some very good Novels by British Authors. Maybe I'm not searching for Nigerian novels in bookstores in Europe. It seems the best Nigerian authors in this age are based in Europe and North America. I don't know how easy it is to publish a novel if you are in Nigeria. Anyway, I'll check Waterstones and WH Smith for novels written by Nigerians. Cheers.

www.amebor.com

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 5:58pm On Jun 16, 2010
shakapoke:

Pls where can i purchase these types of books in abuja

I have heard of Pen and Pages in Wuse 11 and Booksellers in Garki 2. Check them out.

Bukittes:

Of course them plenty. Others not in my list include among many others. Ask for them in lagos bookstores.

Jude Dibia, - Unbridled, Walking with Shadows
Simisola - Pepper, scent of water
Taiwo Iredele
Joy Bewaji
Abimbola Adelakun
Bisi Ojediran
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 6:01pm On Jun 16, 2010
You guys need to repent! LOL shocked shocked

Oya call these number to get one today - 08023815724

iice:

None
favouredjb:

none sad
tomv:

To be frank None!!!!!!!

djcrucifix:

none, i never read one dis year.
Bestglo:

Bestglo:

Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by Nymphnode(m): 6:06pm On Jun 16, 2010
Nigerian novels or novels in general? None this year to both.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by slap1(m): 6:22pm On Jun 16, 2010
Yellow-Yellow -- Kaine Agary, Purple Hibiscus & Half of a Yellow Sun. Just these, God forgive me! Someone on NL promised to sell Jude Dibia's books to me but failed. Where can I get Naija books in Aba (or Owerri where I am for now)?
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 6:23pm On Jun 16, 2010
Nymph node:

Nigerian novels or novels in general? None this year to both.

For those that do not have the muscle to read complete novels, check out Nigerian short story writing talent at www.nai jastories.com, you'll be amazed.
Bukittes:

damilola15:

the only naija thing I have read lately is a few newspapers onlinie.
I'm trying to lay hands on any Chimamanda Adichie books.
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by favouredjb(f): 6:36pm On Jun 16, 2010
acufes:

ill winds. but on the whole i read more of foreign novels

illwinds by my humble prof oyegoke,i read it while i was in sch den,nice book
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by favouredjb(f): 6:39pm On Jun 16, 2010
myne whiteman,i read you online every now n then though wink

i read two of chimamanda's books last yr
Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 6:40pm On Jun 16, 2010
adedayo79:

I pity Nigerians writters.The only ones i ever read was done out of compulsion many years ago.

You're right. This an old article but it still holds true today.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/literari/2007/nov/18/literari-18-11-2007-001.htm

How much royalties are Nigerian writers paid? Except the Lagos-based poet, Adolphus Amasiatu II, author of Diary of a Poet, it is rare to see a Nigerian writer who will admit receiving a dime from his publisher (s). At the 2007 Nigeria Book Trust Foundation Book Fair in Lagos, in May, the Ibadan-based writer, Tony Marinho, complained bitterly of being reaped off by his publishers. Niyi Osundare told Sunday Sun in 2005 that, despite his many award-winning books and bestsellers, he was yet to reap from the fruit of his labour. These are not isolated complaints.

Denja Abdullahi, General Secretary, Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA), is of the view that “a writer may not make much money from royalties or from self-marketing of his books, but there are allied benefits he can use his creativity to achieve”. Like elsewhere, royalties for creative works are maximum of ten percent from the money realized from selling a copy, but “even getting the ten percent is always a problem, because publishers always short-change writers,” said he.

Writers, in Nigeria, today, he noted, are just publishing to get known. The way forward, according to him, is for writers to explore alternative publishing, that is, writers-friendly publishing outfits that will give them good contracts.

Prof. Chukwuemeka Ike belongs to the Chinua Achebe generation of writers and was the founding president of the Nigeria Book Trust Foundation. He told Sunday Sun that a writer who is lucky to have his work(s) recommended to schools will have more sells than others, but how many new writers get this opportunity nowadays?

He has identified the lack of promotion by Nigerian publishers as another setback to Nigerian writers, “otherwise creative writing should be more profitable than it is now”. He has never depended solely on the royalties from his works. “So, whatever comes in is an addition to my income,” he said. “In the UK, you get advance royalties for your works,” he informed.

Chukwu Eke, a writer and a stringler with The Source magazine, echoed the view that publishing creative works in the country is not profitable. The author of the poetry volume, Rhythm of a Pathfinder, he lamented that the book has not sold like his published instructional materials.
“If you don’t hawk your books, nobody will go to a bookshop to buy them, except they have heard your name somewhere.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? by MyneWhite1(f): 6:42pm On Jun 16, 2010
favouredjb:

myne whiteman,i read you online every now n then though wink

i read two of chimamanda's books last yr

Thank you dear, it's good to hear that. My book is now available in paperback too, both in the US and Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Life Of A Lesbian / Which Book Has Impacted Your Life Most? / Stole My Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.