Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators (3424 Views)

Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches / Why Nigerian Commentators Should Not Comment On Serious Matches / What Do You Think About Nigerian Commentators? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by AjanleKoko: 10:45am On Jun 16, 2010
If you're watching the World Cup, especially if you're watching from Africa, you would have run into one Nigerian commentator or the other on one station or the other. The interesting thing, this time, is that some of them actually come up against foreigners.
Like Supersport is presenting a crop of ex-players, Like Steve Keshi, Edgar Davids, John Barnes, against their regulars, Shaun Bartlett, Gary Bailey, Terry Paine. The local stations have showcased Victor Ikpeba, Celestine Babayaro, Nduka Ugbade, and Tijani Babangida.

What do you think about the performance of our guys so far? For me, even Keshi, who's supposed to be a coach, had little or nothing to say about the games, in sharp contrast to the likes of Barnes and Davids.
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by maedan(f): 10:50am On Jun 16, 2010
Being an ex-footballer does not automatically turn one into a professional football commentator. This requires training, or, at most, talent. Running a commentary on an on-going game is not easy especially if you aren't well-spoken or not used to expressing yourself.
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by mbulela: 11:25am On Jun 16, 2010
this matter again!!!!!
bros, without any fear of contradiction, i can find 5 regulars on this forum who will make more sense than Keshi in that studio.
it is so appalling that i begin to wonder.
even the local coaches that are not ex players do not make sense when you hear them talk.
besides their inability to express themselves in english, they cannot even discuss tactics in pidgin english.
you begin to wonder how our football will develop? with people like keshi classed as top coaches?
i do not know about Babayaro and ikpeba but when i was last in naija even Ugbade was not making sense.
the few analysts who have made sense on Nigerian tv were ordinary fans and pundits like you and i.
Beyond grammar it takes a passion for the game and an eye for the details and intricacies of tactics to expound sense aboutthe game.
I remember a guy who used to be on NTA,(my memory fails me now,although i remember he was a yoruba chap) and Emeka Enyadike who despite his speech impediment is a pundit of the highest class.
That man is good.
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by mbulela: 11:53am On Jun 16, 2010
just saw this somewhere;

Clarence Seedorf
Every now and then, it's marvellous to see a man with easy charm, wit and knowledge sashay into a television studio and make the rest look like chumps.

Seedorf has been quietly setting up his post-playing career for some time now. Brief snippets on Sky Sports News have showed some promise, but his presence on the BBC World Cup coverage has confirmed potential could well be more than that.

He sits in the same casual way that Alan Hansen does, but with the Scot you can't help but feel he's phoning it in, and has been for years. Seedorf's laidback approach looks more like quiet assurance, safe in the knowledge that he can do more than chuckle about 'terrible defending' and so forth.

Incidentally, you wouldn't catch Seedorf shouting at Emmanuel Adebayor in that 'talk loud and slowly to the foreigner' way that Hansen did on the opening day.
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by acufes(m): 1:00pm On Jun 16, 2010
nigeria and nigerians are developing. soon we'll be developed and then, we'll be able to compete favourably with other peoples and nations. in all aspects
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by homerac7: 1:20pm On Jun 16, 2010
try hi-tv where everybody shout thinkn dey r talkn, worse is that they talk at once. u only get to wonder if they listen to one another. it looks like some monkey market
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by tayoast(m): 1:50pm On Jun 16, 2010
^^ u're not making ANY sense.
Those guys r trying
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by zagazow: 1:53pm On Jun 16, 2010
i think analyst is a better word. i also think Keshi should stop faking that accent.
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by wazobiang: 3:31pm On Jun 16, 2010
its hard to judge sports commentary, like stock market, its almost unpredictable. if u stick only to the predictable, you'll sound dull too. so usually u expect to hear something from a different point of view in sports commentaries.

but it's a red card when someone comments with wrong facts
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by ONWARDBABA: 5:02pm On Jun 16, 2010
LETS ALWAYS RESPECT OUR OWN @POSTER IF YOU DONT LIKE THIS PEOPLE THEN WATCH THE CHILDREN ON THE STREETS AND COMMENTATE NIGERIA GO BETTER JUST KEEP ON TRYING

AM ENJOYING IT AND IF I DONT LIKE THE COMMENTRIES I WALK AWAY
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by Mudley313: 5:12pm On Jun 16, 2010
i think analyst is a better word.

what i was thinking. cos when it comes to nigerian football match commentators; that's another story
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by mbulela: 5:16pm On Jun 16, 2010
zagazow:

i think analyst is a better word. i also think Keshi should stop faking that accent.
i tire for that francophone accent.
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by keyiwon(m): 5:52pm On Jun 16, 2010
acufes:

nigeria and nigerians are developing. soon we'll be developed and then, we'll be able to compete favourably with other peoples and nations. in all aspects

I cant believe this, at what age and time are we going to be developed?? angry angry angry
tayo_ast:

^^ u're not making ANY sense.
Those guys r trying

I'm sure you dont have access to foreign channels and commentaors/analysts, if you did you wont make such statements

Its really appalling to hear our own analyze soccer, you wonder if its that difficult.
mbulela:

this matter again!!!!!
bros, without any fear of contradiction, i can find 5 regulars on this forum who will make more sense than Keshi in that studio.
it is so appalling that i begin to wonder.
even the local coaches that are not ex players do not make sense when you hear them talk.
besides their inability to express themselves in english, they cannot even discuss tactics in pidgin english.
you begin to wonder how our football will develop? with people like keshi classed as top coaches?
i do not know about Babayaro and ikpeba but when i was last in naija even Ugbade was not making sense.
the few analysts who have made sense on Nigerian tv were ordinary fans and pundits like you and i.
Beyond grammar it takes a passion for the game and an eye for the details and intricacies of tactics to expound sense aboutthe game.
I remember a guy who used to be on NTA,(my memory fails me now,although i remember he was a yoruba chap) and Emeka Enyadike who despite his speech impediment is a pundit of the highest class.
That man is good.

You're quite right, Those guys need to step-up their game!
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by Sagamite(m): 6:13pm On Jun 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

If you're watching the World Cup, especially if you're watching from Africa, you would have run into one Nigerian commentator or the other on one station or the other. The interesting thing, this time, is that some of them actually come up against foreigners.
Like Supersport is presenting a crop of ex-players, Like Steve Keshi, Edgar Davids, John Barnes, against their regulars, Shaun Bartlett, Gary Bailey, Terry Paine. The local stations have showcased Victor Ikpeba, Celestine Babayaro, Nduka Ugbade, and Tijani Babangida.

What do you think about the performance of our guys so far? For me, even Keshi, who's supposed to be a coach, had little or nothing to say about the games, in sharp contrast to the likes of Barnes and Davids.

Edgar Davids for Supersports?

I thought he was signed to ITV in UK for this WC? undecided

maedan:

Being an ex-footballer does not automatically turn one into a professional football commentator. This requires training, or, at most, talent. Running a commentary on an on-going game is not easy especially if you aren't well-spoken or not used to expressing yourself.

Exactly.

This was what I was telling tkb417.

Imagine him comparing Odegbami to me on football analytics. shocked shocked shocked

*Phuff* Unbelieveable. grin grin grin grin grin

mbulela:

just saw this somewhere;

Clarence Seedorf
Every now and then, it's marvellous to see a man with easy charm, wit and knowledge sashay into a television studio and make the rest look like chumps.

Seedorf has been quietly setting up his post-playing career for some time now. Brief snippets on Sky Sports News have showed some promise, but his presence on the BBC World Cup coverage has confirmed potential could well be more than that.

He sits in the same casual way that Alan Hansen does, but with the Scot you can't help but feel he's phoning it in, and has been for years. Seedorf's laidback approach looks more like quiet assurance, safe in the knowledge that he can do more than chuckle about 'terrible defending' and so forth.

Incidentally, you wouldn't catch Seedorf shouting at Emmanuel Adebayor in that 'talk loud and slowly to the foreigner' way that Hansen did on the opening day.

The author is not serious.

Hansen is far better that Seedorf who is not bad.

Author is just a Hansen hater.
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by Ben13: 6:22pm On Jun 16, 2010
The Whites own the Television! They know how to prepare appearing in front of camera.

Problem is tension! We Blacks dey fear camera. Period! grin
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by sayso: 6:24pm On Jun 16, 2010
Watched Adebayor on BBC MOTD and the guy just dey yan trash about Eto'o,it is African style of representing themselves in the media.
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by Sagamite(m): 6:26pm On Jun 16, 2010
Ben-10:

The Whites own the Television! They know how to prepare appearing in front of camera.

When BBC invited Okocha to come and comment on ANC 2008, if you see the way he just dey grin teeth and stammering. I knew dem no go invite am back again.

Na so maybe £20-100K pay for 4 weeks work disappear.  undecided
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by Mortiple(m): 6:30pm On Jun 16, 2010
homerac7:

try hi-tv where everybody shout thinkn dey r talkn, worse is that they talk at once. u only get to wonder if they listen to one another. it looks like some monkey market

I beg to differ! Please tell us, who among them is not good? They have got seasoned analysts such as Deji Omotoyinbo, Deji Tinubu, Akintunde Bada, etc. These guys are above average, to say the least. I feel this is one area HI-TV is doing great (IMO).
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by Sagamite(m): 6:32pm On Jun 16, 2010
Mortiple:

I beg to differ! Please tell us, who among them is not good? They have got seasoned analysts such as Deji Omotoyinbo, Deji Tinubu, Akintunde Bada, etc. These guys are above average, to say the least. I feel this is one area HI-TV is doing great (IMO).

I don't know any of the guys you listed but there has been no time I have been in Nigeria and found a decent football analyst. undecided
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by debosky(m): 6:33pm On Jun 16, 2010
I haven't seen any Nigerian commentators, but I have to say I've been very impressed by the likes of Seedorf and Davids with their intelligent analysis of the games.

The likes of Adebayor have been useless.
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by tkb417(m): 6:44pm On Jun 16, 2010
Exactly.

This was what I was telling tkb417.

Imagine him comparing Odegbami to me on football analytics.

what were you telling me this man?
Unlike what most people here have been saying, the first ingredient in ths bizniz is your ability to understand the game of football
which explains why ex footballers are going fully into football commentary day in day out

i dont know how someone like you who teaches balanced scorecard and analyses Amodus tactics from the comfort of ur room will be able to analyse football better than Segun odegbami who played football, writes about football and analyses football on tv (for more than a decade now)

football analysis goes beyond the ability to express urself, this isnt motivational speaking
yeah, some might not be able to convey the mssg- which automatically makes them not suitable for the job
. . . .first thing first is to understand the game, the eloquence is an added advantage

go and face ur consulting bizniz and leave football for peeps me. i played footie in primary school shocked grin grin
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by Sagamite(m): 6:45pm On Jun 16, 2010
^^^Odegbami aint got nothing on me. Make e go sell akara. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by tkb417(m): 6:52pm On Jun 16, 2010
^^ iro nla grin grin

iwo bawo

omo i dey Udo Udoma today, see babes shocked shocked shocked

i wan turn lawyer o grin grin grin
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by Sagamite(m): 6:54pm On Jun 16, 2010
^^^Eh! Mo gbe!

No forget to get Funke's number o! grin grin grin
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by tayoast(m): 7:42pm On Jun 16, 2010
debosky:

I haven't seen any Nigerian commentators, but I have to say I've been very impressed by the likes of Seedorf and Davids with their intelligent analysis of the games.

The likes of Adebayor have been useless.

cheesy cheesy
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by mbulela: 11:01pm On Jun 16, 2010
tayo_ast:

cheesy cheesy

I hear Adebayor is making a fool of himself as an analyst at present.
the only thing critics are looking forward to at present are his colourful suits.
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by AjanleKoko: 10:30am On Jun 17, 2010
Charles Anazodo, Supersport presenter, at the review of the Korea-Greece match on Saturday, went something like this:

'If you remember in 1994, Greece paraded the likes of Stoichkov and Balakov'

Shaun Bartlett and Gary Bailey just stared at him, stunned.
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by Sagamite(m): 10:39am On Jun 17, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Charles Anazodo, Supersport presenter, at the review of the Korea-Greece match on Saturday, went something like this:

'If you remember in 1994, Greece paraded the likes of Stoichkov and Balakov'

Shaun Bartlett and Gary Bailey just stared at him, stunned.

Lawd have mercy!!! shocked
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by titsqueez(m): 11:56am On Jun 17, 2010
the best sport commentator Naija ever. RIP Yinka Craig
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by DisGuy: 12:09pm On Jun 17, 2010
Ben-10:

Erm Seedorf, Edgar Davies, Robbie Dodgy tickets Earle?

Nigerian Analyst and Commentators are as crass you if they are not laughing at their own jokes they always calculating what one player is getting per week with starry eyes, no wonder people don't watch Sooting stars cheesy

They should all buy Pro Evolution and FiFa for training
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by Riodiao(m): 12:38pm On Jun 17, 2010
Best footcball commentator in d world john champeon. Welcome 2 d day when manchester utd nid to cross d 't's and dot d i's to form d world title. 2nd to d last day of d season 2009/2010. Man vs arsenal, d game ended 0-0
Re: World Cup 2010 And Nigerian Commentators by tayoast(m): 7:00pm On Jun 17, 2010
Mortiple:

God Bless you jare
Fela Bank-Olemo and co

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Croatian President Who Was A Hot Model / Is Ronaldinho Dead? / Obafemi Martins Romances Balotelli's Sister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.