Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,933 members, 7,810,597 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) (655 Views)

Queen Elizabeth II Dies, Aged 96 / Kenneth Kaunda Dies Aged 97 / Beji Caid Essebsi Is Dead! Tunisian President Dies Aged 92 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) by nigeriapenbase: 2:15pm On Jul 26, 2018

The last surviving female Spitfire pilot who flew 400 of the iconic planes during World War Two has died aged 101.

Mary Ellis was the last known surviving pilot of the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA), which delivered Spitfires and bombers to RAF airfields during the war.

At the start of the war, women were not allowed to fly military aircraft but this changed in 1940.

Mary, whose maiden name was Wilkins, joined the ATA in 1941 after hearing an advert for women pilots on the radio.

By the end of the war, she had spent more than 1,100 hours flying 56 different types of aircraft. She was one of the last six female pilots still flying for ATA by the end of 1945.

Mary married Donald Ellis in 1961, who shared her love of flying.

Earlier this year she was awarded the Freedom of the Isle of Wight, aged 100.

Announcing her death, Red Arrows pilot Mike Ling MBE said on Twitter: “More awful news.

RIP Mary Ellis.

A legend of the Air Transport Auxiliary. Over 1,000 aircraft; 76 different types and over 400 Spitfires alone.

I hope you’re enjoying a well-earned sherry up there with Joy Lofthouse again.

Blue skies Ma’am #LestWeForget.”[/img]

See More Photos Below....

Source: https://www.nigeriapen.com.ng/last-surviving-female-ww2-spitfire-pilot-dies-aged-101-html/

Lalasticlala
Re: Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) by nigeriapenbase: 2:16pm On Jul 26, 2018
Re: Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) by Olanireti(m): 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2018
Hmmm, she try.

Make she go meet ppl her aircraft killed and her colleagues that died during the war.
Re: Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) by PUSSYBBQGRILLS(f): 2:23pm On Jul 26, 2018
RIP Mary Ellis.
Re: Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) by nigeriapenbase: 2:23pm On Jul 26, 2018
Olanireti:
Hmmm, she try.

Make she go meet ppl her aircraft killed and her colleagues that died during the war.

thats war for you, she might be in heaven
Re: Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 26, 2018
She has left her own impact in this life, let me face my own.

The real Slay Queen is resting.
Re: Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) by kinzation(m): 2:26pm On Jul 26, 2018
kennygee:
She has left her own impact in this life, let me face my own.

The real Slay Queen is resting.
shift mah rest beside you...*sips zobo*
Re: Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) by GloriaNinja(f): 2:49pm On Jul 26, 2018
MAY SHE REST IN PEACE....SHE REALLY LIVED LONG O
Re: Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) by Racoon(m): 3:00pm On Jul 26, 2018
Congratulations lady! You played your part in the sand of time.Rest on.
Re: Last Surviving Female WW2 Spitfire Pilot Dies Aged 101 (PHOTOS) by Samuelkirk(m): 11:12am On Jul 27, 2018
the real slay Queen

(1) (Reply)

I Saw Donald Trump Being Racist Many Times – Ex-aide / How Europeans Settled In Australia / Its Totally Unacceptable - Theresa May Blasts Donald Trump Over Racist Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.