Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,310 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) (956 Views)

The Hustler (My Life As A Yahoo Boy) / The Story Of A Little Boy(a Dedication To A Friend) / Life Of A Ghetto Boy (a Short Story By Osakpamwan Osadolor) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 4:02pm On Jul 27, 2018
All rights reserved

A short story on the strained relationship between police and the youth as a result of unending internet fraud. I hope you enjoy your read.
All characters are completely fictional and where there is any relation to a real person or situation, it is purely coincidental.

Episode 1

Abraham’s eyes were tired even though he had glasses shielding them from the gleaming light of the computer screen. He was on his usual beat. The moment, he got the waste management contract he had been working since the past three days, he knew it was time to take a rest. He was a computer freak but that was simply glossing over what he does. It was also easy to describe him as a fraudster as he was wont to spend hours working on his HP laptop computer. He also had a handy tablet which followed him wherever he went. The perception was reinforced by his desire to be a loner, there was no way he could dispel the rumours swirling around his neighbourhood.

He was already living a comfortable life which has a lot to do with his ability to navigate the internet world. The moment he found a client that was willing to part with some up-front payment he moved to a new apartment in a cool section of the city and then the Toyota Venza, the rave in town had come calling as a gift for a job well done. A life of solitude followed which had always been his way and partly in the knowledge that he could be arrested by the anti-fraud unit of the police force. He loved working from home and hardly had cause to move outside until he started thinking about divesting from being just an internet retailer.

He stood up from the chair and stretched his body. The time was an hour after noon. He picked his phone and called his friend, Jeffery. He had an important meeting which he was to attend in three hours’ time. He was in love and that had been a healthy distraction.

Bola the pretty silver-spoon girl of twenty-four was an unusual choice. He was from a poor family but since his foray into the commercial city, he had assumed a new identity. He met Bola during a seminar on cyber security at the city’s main university and had taken interest in her. He approached her as they exited the venue and all seemed easy from that moment onwards as she was quite straightforward. Their relationship had been on for just about five months when she requested that he met with her family. It was an unusual request but he was willing to go through with it just to prove his love.

He was about having his bath when Jeffery entered the house. He got out as soon as he heard his friend’s voice and went to meet him in the sitting-room. Jeffery, his friend was his go-to guy and an internet freak like him. He shook his hands with some enthusiasm and looked into his eyes.

‘’Bro, it is good to see you,’’ Jeffery said.

‘’Just make yourself comfortable.’’

He left for his bedroom and wore a pair of jean trousers and a T-shirt. His mind was already working in rapid motion and was thinking about his meeting with his girlfriend’s father. He had seen her father’s picture but that seemed to have little effect on his wild thoughts. He returned to the sitting room as soon as he was done dressing up.

‘’So have you reached an agreement with the Asians?’’ Jeffery asked.

‘’I am still working on that.’’

‘’Okay.’’

The thought of getting ahead of himself have always haunted him especially in the precarious world of negotiating with foreigners. He got his car key and they left for the mini-park where his car sat. He drove to a bar and they took a spot among the other young patrons. He was already thinking of the kind of reception that would be accorded him by Bola’s father.

One major drawback would be how to describe the nature of his job. He had often steered clear of telling others about his job even in the face of the gossips that normally followed male folks who worked on the computer all the time. Jeffery seemed unperturbed with his silence and instead engaged his phone.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) by Ann2012(f): 11:30pm On Jul 27, 2018
Nice one

Oya continue

1 Like

Re: I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 10:01am On Jul 28, 2018
I am not a "yahoo" boy
Episode 2

Bola was like a breath of fresh air especially when compared to his previous girlfriends. He had befriended two girls before he met Bola and they had come with their own baggage. Bola was a lot different from the previous ones but she had one thing in common with them. Bola did not know the nature of his business though was aware that he was often on the cyberspace searching for clients. She was also reluctant to ask for financial favour which he assumed was because of her privileged status. He was reminiscing how well the past months has gone since he met Bola when Jeffery shook him.

‘’Bro, I think it’s time we leave,’’ Jeffery said.

He looked at his watch and they had just an hour before the scheduled time with Chief Bako, Bola’s father. He stood up from the couch and they walked out of the bar. The traffic was gradually getting heavy when they started for Bola’s house. They arrived at the estate where Bola lived some thirty minutes afterwards. He fished his phone from his pocket and called her.

She arrived shortly and talked to the security men at the gate before walking towards Abraham and Jeffery. A smile illuminated her face as soon as their eyes met and she hugged him. She greeted Jeffery and got behind the wheel while Abraham sat on the front passengers’ seat. She turned on the ignition and drove towards her home. The Estate was quite expansive with varying structures built in elegant fashion. They arrived in front of a one storey building and she parked beside the house.

‘’We are here,’’ she said.

It was an exquisite mansion and Abraham conveyed his delight by whistling. Bola smiled and led them to the front of the house.

‘’Bola, I hope this meeting will not be a bad idea’’

‘’Don’t worry, he is a nice person.’’

Bola opened the door and led them into an expansive sitting room. A minute had barely gone by when a man with a rotund stature started down the stairs that led to the sitting room. Abraham watched Bako’s arrival with baited breath and then he felt sweat trickle down his body despite the cool air circulating around the room from the air-conditioner. He arrived sooner than he thought and was startled by the voice of Jeffery.

‘’Good evening sir,’’ Jeffery said.

‘’Good evening sir,’’ he stuttered.

‘’Young men you are welcome to my house.’’

The voice of Bola’s father sounded quite different from the sort expected of his imposing stature. It was baritone but a soft one that seemed to belong to a youth. He shook their hands which only made Abraham uncomfortable and averted his eyes.

‘’Who is the prospective son-in-law?’’

The statement sounded like mockery but Abraham raised his hand reluctantly which brought cheer to the man’s face.

‘’I hope you are not this timid all the time.”

“No sir.”

“Come with me.’’

He led them to a couch and urged them to sit. He sat on a single chair facing them with his bulk taking up every space. The sheen of his clean shaven head was complemented by a blood shot eyes which aroused some fear in Abraham’s mind.

‘’So what are your names?’’

They said their names and he nodded in acknowledgement. He rose to his feet with some effort and headed for the bar. Abraham watched with discomfort as the man took a tray, got three glasses and a bottle of Brandy and then started back for the sitting area. Abraham stood up, not moved by the carefree attitude of Jeffery and resorted to lend a hand which the man shrugged off. He opened the bottle and poured little portions into the three glasses. Abraham took both of the glasses and handed one to his friend. Bola’s father took his and sat on the chair.

“So boys you are welcome to my house.”

“Thank you sir.”

“Okay… I like people calling me by my title…oh, I haven’t told you my name. I am chief Bako, the former cocoa merchant,” he burst into rapturous laughter.

“Great to meet you sir,” they replied.

“Indeed… so what do you do?” Bako asked.

“We are internet entrepreneurs,” Abraham replied.

The chief contemplated them for a moment before he broke into a broad smile.

“I like mobile looking guys like you. I have heard so much about the wonders going on in the cyberspace. That is what you guys refer to as soft work.”

“Something like that sir,” Jeffery interjected.

“I just told you I am or was a cocoa merchant. That was my occupation until I saw the wonders of real estate when I changed location. I like men who don’t sweat too much before making money and I must commend you boys for following that path.”

“Thank you sir,” Abraham said hesitantly.

The man sitting in front of him seemed like a joker but the look on his face was one that spoke volume of his seriousness. He was gradually becoming comfortable and warming up to the image of an “easy man” described by Bola.

“I hope you are not a prey?”

The question left him in a hook and he shook his head hesitantly at the persistent stare of Chief. He averted his eyes and stole a look at Jeffery in a bid to lessen the discomfort.

“I don’t play with my daughter, she is a jewel and I cannot imagine what I might do to any guy that plays her like a ball. It’s good you have your friend here so that he will do well to remind you.”

The words echoed in his mind and he would have been appreciative if his eyes had met Bola’s in that moment. He nodded in affirmation and averted his eyes once again. Chief poured some more drink into his glass and drank with relish.

“Do you care for more?” he asked.

“Yes sir.”

Jeffery was quick out of his trap as he handed his glass to the chief. Abraham had little appetite, carefully nursing the little remaining in his glass. Chief drank some more and then seemed to relax under the influence of the drink. He would bring up some topics which Abraham responded to with some restraint. He was not afraid of the man but was unsure of how best to go about their nascent relationship. He heaved a sigh of relief as soon as Chief stood up.

“I am tired gentlemen, it’s time I go take a rest,” he said.

He left for the stairs immediately to Abraham's relief.
Re: I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) by oloyedprince1(m): 10:25am On Jul 28, 2018
not bad a story , thumb up
Re: I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 1:01pm On Jul 29, 2018
oloyedprince1:
not bad a story , thumb up
Thank you.
Re: I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 1:02pm On Jul 29, 2018
Episode 3

Jeffery chuckled loud enough for Abraham’s ears and turned to look at him inquisitively. He knew already that his friend was making mockery of his tightened chin. Chief’s exit offered some momentary comfort which gradually dissipated into series of questions on how well he had impressed his supposed father-in-law. His biggest fear had been on how to describe his job and that had been summarily dismissed by a man whose major concern was the end product itself. Jeffery showed little interest as he looked in expectation of Bola running down the stairs. She appeared some minutes after Chief had left with a smile illuminating her face. She found the space between them large enough and sat down.

“So how was it?” Bola asked.

“Not as bad as I thought initially,” Abraham replied.

Jeffery grunted and he retaliated with a light punch.

“So what would you like to take?” she asked.

“I am not interested in another treat especially after that…” he pointed at the bottle of Brandy on the table. “It’s best we leave.”

“Okay.”

Abraham stood up, pulled Bola and Jeffery followed. Bola was all smiles as she held his side while they walked out of the house. The visit had been short, unnerving and exciting at the same time. He knew already that Bola had just taken the blind off their relationship and it was more of public knowledge already. The thought offered little consolation considering that her father had warned him against preying on his daughter’s heart. She hung by the side of the driver’s seat while he revved the engine. She kissed him lightly on his fore-head and then walked away while he drove out of the garage.

Jeffery was already on his phone as he drove into the empty street of the estate and silence reigned. He remembered the deal with the Asians especially as it concerns their yet to be tested waste disposal app. The collaboration looked promising but he was not giddy about it. Jeffery alighted at the city centre and he drove to the serene surroundings of his house still contemplating the merit of meeting Bola’s father.

Life continued in its usual fashion as he went about his business. The bid for the project was being scrutinized by the government agency in charge of the Environment. He was already anticipating the success of the deal and reassured his partners who he had not met of their seeming success. He was already used to dealing with clients via the internet and hence did not find it strange dealing with the men from somewhere in Asia.

The men had offered their cooperation through their financial contribution and then also shown their interest by constantly messaging him. Abraham felt uncomfortable each time he had to reply their messages. The deadline for the announcement of the new partners were already past and yet he was unable to confirm if the government had accepted their bid. He struggled to keep his mind at rest as the days went by.

Five days after the deadline was all it took for Abraham to face the gravest threat in his career as a cyberspace retailer. He was woken up by a loud knock on his door. He woke up and sauntered to the door oblivious of the looming threat. The knock came again and this jolted him out of his sleepy state. He opened the door and was immediately confronted by the glare of a torch-light. He covered his eyes obviously assailed by the harsh stare of the torch. A firm hand grabbed him and tried pulling him.

“Who are you?” he screamed.

“Special force,” the man replied.

The statement rang alarm bells in his ears. He was not a criminal as to warrant the arrival of the special anti-robbery squad. He tried to resist but the hold was firm and then he felt another hand take the other and immediately was led outside towards a waiting truck. The scene was reminiscent of that associated with an action movie. It was still early in the day and the air was cold and misty.

Immediately he was bundled into the truck, they hit the road. He had just a singlet and boxers on and somewhere in his mind, he was hopeful that the arrival of the men had not been witnessed by the neighbours.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 7:10am On Jul 30, 2018
Episode 4

The drive was a short one and they arrived at the base of the force some minutes afterwards. He was still in shock and yet to get over his near defenceless state. The reception was a beehive of activities as several men were seated all bearing sombre look. He was led to sit on one of the vacant chairs and immediately clasped his head in anger. An hour passed before he was led by one of the men to an office beside the reception. A tough looking man sat behind the desk.

“So you are an internet fraudster,” a deep menacing voice.

“No, I am not,” he replied.

“Okay, you must be a yahoo boy then.”

“Sir, you are accusing me wrongly.”

The man’s eyes flared up in anger but was hesitant on flexing his muscles. Abraham was afraid for his life in that instant and realized he was in trouble. The man continued haranguing him and then told him about the complaints of his Asian partners concerning the failed bid for the waste disposal contract. The thought of being betrayed irked him even with the present threat of being tortured for a crime he did not commit. He denied the man’s every accusations and in a fit of rage, the man asked that he should be thrown into cell.

The cell was at the end of the building. It was a block of two large adjoining rooms but small in comparison to the people housed inside. He was pushed into one of these rooms and immediately was assailed by the number of bodies that stood in his way. His brief survey showed that most of the inmates were young and then realized that many could have faced the man at the office beside the reception. He struggled to take in the filthy air that hung around the building and then started contemplating how he would get out. The thought kept his appetite in check and all through the night especially when confronted with the buzzing mosquitoes.

The next morning, he woke up with weary eyes and immediately called the attention of one of the guards standing close to the cell. He asked to see the man who had interrogated him the previous day. The guard assured him that his message would be delivered. He was tired and the smell of his breath was unpleasant especially after two days of not brushing. The daylight was more pronounced when he was led to the office of the man that interrogated him the previous day. He was dressed in a black t-shirt similar to the one he wore the previous day. His eyes were hard and unflinching.

“Have you decided to confess?” he asked.

“I did not commit any crime.”

“So why did you come to see me then?”

“I want to go home.”

“You won’t leave until you have paid the money you obtained from those men.”

“Can I make a call then?”

“You can but in my presence.”

He agreed and requested for the man’s phone. The official hesitated before giving him the phone. He knew Jeffery’s number and immediately dialled it. Jeffery picked on the second ring and they had a short conversation. Immediately, he returned the phone to the official who had listened without restraint. He stood up immediately and left the office and was led to the cell where he had spent the night.

The wait was long and in that moment, he prayed for Jeffery to deliver his message. The wait lasted until some hours after noon when an official came to call him. He stepped out of the cell with heightened expectation and was led to one of the rooms in a different section of the building.

The interior was dark and gloomy with walls that needed painting. The furnishing was sparse with a table in between two chairs. It looked very much like a room fit for interrogation and possibly torture. He became agitated and waited with baited breath for the return of the official. Some seconds after, Bola came into the room and immediately burst into tears. Her teary eyes seemed more than a mirror into his physical appearance. He started contemplating his physical condition. He stepped forward and embraced her.

“This is not allowed,” the guard said.

They detached and she went around to sit on the other chair. He struggled to avert his eyes clearly unsure of how he would console her. A moment of nervous silence followed and gradually words began to flood his mind.

“I really don’t know what anybody has told you but I am definitely not a thief,” he said.

She still held his gaze, unmoved by his attempt to relieve the pressure in the room.

“Are you a yahoo boy?” she asked.

He was shocked beyond words and bit his lip in anger. The question seemed more like an unfair description of his efforts to stay honest while trading on the Internet.

“I really don’t know why you came,” he said.

She was crossed and immediately her countenance changed. She was asking the right question at the wrong time and it seemed more like an indictment. He felt angry considering that she did not trust his assertion. He stretched his hands and held both of her hands.

“I am not,” he replied.

“Time up,” the guard barked.

He released her hands and immediately Bola left the room.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) by Sensitivity1254: 2:11pm On Jul 30, 2018
This is getting interesting. Keep it coming
Re: I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) by Ann2012(f): 3:21pm On Jul 30, 2018
Thanks for d update

1 Like

Re: I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 7:16am On Jul 31, 2018
Sensitivity1254:
This is getting interesting. Keep it coming
Okay. Thanks for reading.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 7:17am On Jul 31, 2018
Episode 5

The journey back to the cell was torturous and painful. Instead of feeling relief he was angry and dejected. Bola’s visit was a big shock. He was led into the cell and thoughts of vengeance assailed his mind. The minutes ticked by even as his mind went darker. He started feeling the pangs of hunger and was suddenly desirous of eating something. He sat on the bare floor unmoved by the inquisitive eyes of his fellow inmates and gradually his eyes shut in exasperation.

He sprang up immediately he was hit. His eyes made out the figure of the guard.
“Come out,” he said.
He struggled to his feet and felt the other eyes on him. He was suddenly aware that the gate had hardly been opened for another since he was brought to the cell. He had kept to himself since he arrived the cell the previous day. Suddenly, he felt a desire to look at the faces of the other inmates.

“You are wasting my time,” the guard said.

He struggled to keep pace with the guard as they walked to the reception. The journey away from the grimy atmosphere of the inner parts of the police base did little to dampen the gloom that had taken hold of his mind. They arrived the reception and immediately was surprised by the number of people loitering the room. The two policemen at the counter were busy attending to some people who were battling to get their attention.

It definitely looked like a marketplace albeit one that gave the seller much power. The guard led him to sit behind the other policemen in the counter and left. He waited with some level of patience and then heard voices coming from the office adjacent the reception. He saw Bola first still unchanged from their earlier meeting and quickly stood up. He remembered the poor state he was in physically and then Chief came into view. He was clean shaven as usual and grey beards cropped his chin.

“Good after…noon sir,” he stuttered.

He nodded without moving the pitiful look on his face. The official came into view and smirked.

“Chief, you can have him now,” he said.

He walked out of the counter and Bola held his hand immediately. They walked ahead of Chief whose eyes Abraham felt all over him. He was already feeling happy leaving the cell but was suddenly confronted with the thought that his relationship with Bola might just have ended. They stopped beside a Toyota Prado and chief joined them shortly.

“Bola, can you please excuse us,” he said.
She walked away and the thought of separation overwhelmed him. He kept his eyes down.

“I did not want to come when my daughter informed me of your imprisonment but I am happy I made it. You must count yourself lucky that you are indeed innocent of the charges brought against you.”

Abraham raised his eyes to stare at him immediately.

“Just take care of my daughter because I see that she loves you so much. Also stay out of crime.”

It was soothing to hear even though he knew the man had just questioned his credibility. Chief called Bola and asked her to get into the Toyota Prado. He also asked Abraham to get into the car and they drove out of the station. The first sight of the outside world was enough to relieve him of the pain and injustice of the past two days but one thing was unforgettable, even the innocent sometimes suffer the consequence of crime.

The End.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

★★★ / Onyeneke Abel Martin Story Lounge! / a book i'm dealing with.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.