Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others (58617 Views)

Dangers Of Connecting To Free Wi-fi Networks / 10m Nigerians To Get Free Wi-fi Facilities As Google Station Opens / 5 Sure Ways To Get Free Wi-fi When You Travel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by investnow2013: 8:36pm On Jul 27, 2018
Google Rolls Out Free Wi-Fi In Nigeria

By Oluwatobi Opusunju

Google has rolled out free fast speed Wi-Fi stations across Lagos. The Internet giant plans to extend the roll out to four more cities across Nigeria by 2019 as part of its commitments to support Nigerian startups and help grow the country’s bourgeoning vibrant tech scene.

This was made known this week at the Google For Nigeria event in Lagos. According to the tech giant, about 200 Google Stations will be rolled out across the five cities to make the WI-Fi connectivity accessible to millions of Nigerians.

The other cities expected to experience the roll out of the Google Stations before year-end are Abuja, Port Harcourt, Ibadan and Kaduna.

Google said sites where the Wi-Fi hotspots will be installed are markets, transport hubs, shopping malls, universities and other places with high population density.

The company also announced it was extending its Street Views into seven more cities Nigeria cities while the rest of Lagos state will be covered. Google Street Views will now be available in where the service is available in Kano, Ibadan, Kaduna, Port Harcourt, Benin City, Abuja and Onitsha.

Google For Nigeria. Image The Cable
Google’s CEO Sundar Pichai takes shot with Nigerian youths at the Google For Nigeria in Lagos. Image:The Cable
At the moment, the Wi-Fi connectivity is currently available at about five significant locations in Lagos. They are Ikeja City Mall (ICM), Computer Village, MMA2 Domestic Airport, The Palms Mall and Landmark center. Plans to roll out in more locations across Nigeria will further bring the Internet access home to millions of Nigeria.

Country Director, Google Nigeria, Juliet Chiazor described the development as channel to help Nigerians and people in Africa better leverage the many opportunities on the internet.

“Today, at our second Google for Nigeria event, we announced more products and programs to help more people in Nigeria and across Africa benefit from the opportunities the web has to offer,” she said.

“We’re announcing Google Station for Nigeria: a program to provide high-quality, high-speed Wi-Fi hotspots in partnership with 21st Century, one of the largest fiber network providers in Nigeria.

“Google Station will be rolling out in 200 locations in five cities across Nigeria by the end of 2019, bringing Wi-Fi to millions of people,” she added. She also reckoned that the initiative would help address issues of affordability and access to data as well as broadband penetration.

Nigeria’s broadband penetration is only 22 percent. Government is aiming to up the figure to 30 percent by year end to further deepen the penetration.

Similarly Google’s CEO, Sundar Pichai commenting on the initiative on his Twitter page, said “Excited, we’re expanding Google Station to Nigeria, helping to make the internet more accessible to everyone with free wifi hotspots rolling out through the next year #GoogleForNigeria.”

Nigeria is the fifth country where the Google Station will be launched, after India, Indonesia, Thailand and Mexico.

https://itedgenews.ng/2018/07/27/google-rolls-free-wi-fi-nigeria/

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by investnow2013: 8:37pm On Jul 27, 2018
Great news!

15 Likes

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by investnow2013: 8:43pm On Jul 27, 2018
Earlier today, I joined other young Innovators and Techpreneurs to attend Google for Nigeria, in Lagos.

It is interesting to know that there are 5 Places in Lagos where you can access free Wifi via Google Station: Ikeja City Mall, Computer Village, Domestic Airport, The Palms, Lekki and Landmark Center. The free fast speed internet stations will expand to Abuja, Onitsha, Kano, Kaduna, Port Harcourt and two other cities in Nigeria.

I also accessed free Internet service from one of these #GoogleStations. Also some of the most searched things in Nigeria in 2018 are: World Cup Fixtures, Wizkid Soco, N-Power, Prepare Banga Soup, Who is the Richest Musician in Nigeria, How to Dance Shaku Shaku, Black Panther, BBNaija and How to Tie Gele.

Technology has forever changed the world we live in. We're online, in one way or another, all day long. Our phones and computers have become reflections of our personalities, our interests, and our identities. They hold much that is important, not just to us but to our country.by Ojooluwa Ibiloye Ohjay

48 Likes

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by Afam4eva(m): 8:45pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ohh, that explains the free Google WiFi that i got at the Ikeja mall yesterday.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by investnow2013: 8:47pm On Jul 27, 2018
Afam4eva:
Ohh, that explains the free Google WiFi that i got at the Ikeja mall yesterday.
I am particularly interested in Onitsha city Wi-Fi.

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by Afam4eva(m): 8:49pm On Jul 27, 2018
investnow2013:
I am particularly interested in Onitsha city Wi-Fi.
I wonder which parts of Onitsha that they will situate it.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by investnow2013: 8:57pm On Jul 27, 2018
Afam4eva:

I wonder which parts of Onitsha that they will situate it.
It may be arround Park lane business area, Onitsha business park or Main Market central business district.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by investnow2013: 9:01pm On Jul 27, 2018
Lalasticlala come and see ONITSHA don join google free wifi zone!

9 Likes

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 27, 2018
Lol nothing works in this godforsaken country watch out now till 2019 it's gonna be a thing of the past.

I pray this project fails.

If you doubt me how far about freebasics?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by Merimental(m): 9:09pm On Jul 27, 2018
nice..
Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by investnow2013: 9:20pm On Jul 27, 2018
Park lane Business district includes Onitsha Mall area other businesses.

2 Likes

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by bravomd(m): 9:57pm On Jul 27, 2018
Nice one

The future is here

Online business is the new blood money. You know you know cool

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by Troublemaker007(m): 9:57pm On Jul 27, 2018
You will never see Warri benefit in things like this yet they call us Oil City and breadwinner of this nation. cry

231 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by toluxa1(m): 9:57pm On Jul 27, 2018
Nigerians will only use it to download latest movies. Shikena undecided

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by kazmanbanjoko(m): 9:57pm On Jul 27, 2018
This is the bloody moon

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by Yomisky(m): 9:57pm On Jul 27, 2018
ok
Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:58pm On Jul 27, 2018
Good development......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by oladele239(m): 9:58pm On Jul 27, 2018
Time to relocate
Ifuknowuknow

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by chukslawrence(m): 9:58pm On Jul 27, 2018
Goodnews
Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by uzohrome(m): 9:58pm On Jul 27, 2018
Great job... Check my signature
Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by obembet(f): 9:59pm On Jul 27, 2018
investnow2013:
investnow2013:

Onitsha boys.... Make SARS arrest them before they install am oo
Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by CyberEBOLA(m): 10:00pm On Jul 27, 2018
HACKERS OPPORTUNITY TO HACK INTO USERS!
Create a replica free wifi using google name.
Setup the right tools and right codes to steal users information.
Hello!
If you are ever going to use any free wifi
USE A GOOD VPN!

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by Aldebaran(m): 10:00pm On Jul 27, 2018
grin
Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by exporters101: 10:00pm On Jul 27, 2018
Nothing is actually free here. This is business for Google. They've been trying to capture the Nigerian tech market via searches and customer behaviour. These data will help the Nigeria Google company to understand how to run AdWords for Google.com.ng pages.

You see it as free, they see it as business.

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by lordm(m): 10:00pm On Jul 27, 2018
Mtn and Glo right now

70 Likes

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by Hunry: 10:00pm On Jul 27, 2018
hmmm... hope SARS wouldn't arrest us or tag every user a Yahoo boy.

3 Likes

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by PenSoftCorp(m): 10:01pm On Jul 27, 2018
This is a good development from google as this would help someone like me.

Hope it gets to my area so i can be using it to download Naija Freebeats and Instrumentals to record my music and songs
Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by Demmzy15(m): 10:03pm On Jul 27, 2018
Troublemaker007:
You will never see Warri benefit in things like this yet they call us Oil City and breadwinner of this nation. cry
Lmao grin grin Hw fa that una shoprite na

4 Likes

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by hisgrace090: 10:03pm On Jul 27, 2018
If given the opportunity Nigeria govt will frustrate this move.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by ajealadick(m): 10:03pm On Jul 27, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
Lol nothing works in this godforsaken country watch out now till 2019 it's gonna be a thing of the past.

I pray this project fails.

If you doubt me how far about freebasics?

Relevance seeking idiot. Get out of here, you sadist!

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by Fesomu(m): 10:04pm On Jul 27, 2018
If na Nigeria wan do this kind project, u go hear " To be completed in the first quarter of 2019"

21 Likes

Re: Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others by ClintGist(f): 10:04pm On Jul 27, 2018
Good one .... MTN,AIRTEL,9MOBILE AND GLO cry cry cry right now

FASCINATING FACTS ABOUT GOOGLE YOU PROBABLY DON’T KNOW

Google is the most visited website on the planet, but you already knew that, right? However, do you know that Google does 65k+ searches every second? And it is not the only fascinating fact about Google — it has many less-known facts and secrets that are hardly widely known. Do you want to know? Dive in

https://www.clintgist.com/fascinating-facts-google-probably-dont-know/

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Airtel Cheap Data 100 Naira For 1500MB And 200 For The Double / Threads: See Elon Musk's Reply on Twitter's attempt to sue Meta / Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge Officially Unveiled (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.