Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. (3308 Views)

8 Cheap Suvs Tougher Than A Jeep Wrangler (and 8 That Don’t Live Up) / A Jeep Climbs Up Near Vertical Rock (Photos, Video) / A Jeep On Fire Behind Federal Secretariat Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:27pm On Jul 28, 2018
My dad's friend owns a jeep liberty. Guy is a really rough driver and somehow someway during one of his speed thrills got his engine stalling. Car just stopped and refused to move. Took the car to a mechanic and when the engine was opened the assembly holding the chain was broken and the engine had Lost timing. My dad's friend has gone through 3 clients and none could reset the engine timing. I proposed we do it ourselves he's an electrical engineer and I a marine engineer and I am seriously in love with automobiles. Tried to learn when I got back but most mechanics ask for money sad. I just started to learn on my own watching YouTube videos and downloading and reading service manuals. This is my first major repair. Before this I had done servicing changed brake pads and shock absorbers

2 Likes

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:29pm On Jul 28, 2018
That's the toolbox. My uncle spent 50k just going for tool shopping. There are more

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:31pm On Jul 28, 2018
That's the car

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:34pm On Jul 28, 2018
Uncle had already loosened everything the day before.

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:36pm On Jul 28, 2018
We washed the camshafts it's an imperative component in setting the timing chain. We had to wash it with fuel and we followed the manual procedures in tightening.

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:37pm On Jul 28, 2018
Setting the timing chain was a bitch. The manual procedures weren't very clear so we had to watch a YouTube video on the subject matter. It took us around 2 hours to do this cry

4 Likes

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:37pm On Jul 28, 2018
Setting the timing chain was a bitch. The manual procedures weren't very clear so we had to watch a YouTube video on the subject matter. It took us around 2 hours to do this cry. However we got it right at the end

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:41pm On Jul 28, 2018
By the time we had set the timing chain. It was already late. To be continued tomorrow morning. Can't wait to test the engine grin grin. Pic of how the timing chain is meant to look like after setting. That's from Google images.

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:42pm On Jul 28, 2018
The manuals make everything really slow for a first time as you have to follow the procedure to the later which takes so much time but I am sure we would get a hang of it grin grin

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by AutoElectNG: 9:53pm On Jul 28, 2018
Remember in the other thread I said service manuals are written targeted at professionals...in plain language, it is not written so the layman can understand...does not mean that a layman cannot do what it takes to understand

Love the drive and determination

Thanks for the R63 AMG story...I am planning a sequel on I when I have the time

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by SmartToyota(m): 9:57pm On Jul 28, 2018
Nice adventure really. More wisdom & understanding.

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:02pm On Jul 28, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Remember in the other thread I said service manuals are written targeted at professionals...in plain language, it is not written so the layman can understand...does not mean that a layman cannot do what it takes to understand

Love the drive and determination

Thanks for the R500 AMG story...I am planning a sequel on I when I have the time
I swear YouTube is much simpler than the manuals grin. The timing chain sequence on the manual was like Spanish cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by empron(m): 10:19pm On Jul 28, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
The manuals make everything really slow for a first time as you have to follow the procedure to the later which takes so much time but I am sure we would get a hang of it grin grin
Nice one
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by boldx(m): 10:31pm On Jul 28, 2018
Following
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by sultaan(m): 5:06am On Jul 29, 2018
I hope you bought a new timing chain kit to replace the old one

I dont think you needed to take the cylinder heads off now you will need new bolts for the heads they are torque to yield
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:10am On Jul 29, 2018
sultaan:
I hope you bought a new timing chain kit to replace the old one

I dont think you needed to take the cylinder heads off now you will need new bolts for the heads they are torque to yield

Yeah we did. The way the chains are located on this car those things all had to be taken off. There's a sprocket on the crankshaft you need to set the timing along with the idler. According to the manuals everything had to come off. We followed the torque specs on the manuals. Used the old bolts and used a torque wrench to tighten them to specs. This car had passed through 3 different mechanics and none could set the timing. One was even a renowned chrysler tech recommended to us. Was even trained by the company and couldn't set the timing. After spending so much money we might as well do it ourselves.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by AutoElectNG: 10:00am On Jul 29, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah we did. The way the chains are located on this car those things all had to be taken off. There's a sprocket on the crankshaft you need to set the timing along with the idler. According to the manuals everything had to come off. We followed the torque specs on the manuals. Used the old bolts and used a torque wrench to tighten them to specs. This car had passed through 3 different mechanics and none could set the timing. One was even a renowned chrysler tech recommended to us. Was even trained by the company and couldn't set the timing. After spending so much money we might as well do it ourselves.

This is why we go to school or undertake formal training...please use new bolts...in the interest of your friendship and for professionalism...that R63 AMG did the same, it is standard practice for excellent repair.

http://mdhmotors.com/what-are-torque-to-yield-head-bolts/
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:20am On Jul 29, 2018
AutoElectNG:

This is why we go to school or undertake formal training...please use new bolts...in the interest of your friendship and for professionalism...that R63 AMG did the same, it is standard practice for excellent repair.

http://mdhmotors.com/what-are-torque-to-yield-head-bolts/
Well the repair manual didn't state so. Anyway I will go to auto mechanic school when it is free grin
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by AutoElectNG: 11:57am On Jul 29, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Well the repair manual didn't state so. Anyway I will go to auto mechanic school when it is free grin

Research Research Research

When you do sometime that you admit you are not perfect at

R63 AMG guy spent weeks doing so

He also had a couple of other qualities such as painstaking attention to detail, patience that made it all come out well

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/should-i-replace-head-bolts-head-gasket-123931/
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:01pm On Jul 29, 2018
About to replace cylinder heads. They were rusted and were wirebrushed and sprayed

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:02pm On Jul 29, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Research Research Research

When you do sometime that you admit you are not perfect at

R63 AMG guy spent weeks doing so

He also had a couple of other qualities such as painstaking attention to detail, patience that made it all come out well

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/should-i-replace-head-bolts-head-gasket-123931/
Okay thanks for the headsup cool
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by sultaan(m): 1:40pm On Jul 29, 2018
If you had watched this video you will see that all you had to take off was the valve covers , sprockets and chain cover with the water pump,belts balancer, but since some other folks had worked on it you have to put everything back in spec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmUAT-pfjiY

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:55pm On Jul 29, 2018
sultaan:
If you had watched this video you will see that all you had to take off was the valve covers , sprockets and chain cover with the water pump,belts balancer, but since some other folks had worked on it you have to put everything back in spec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmUAT-pfjiY
The valves also had to be changed. The thing bent when the chain got out of timing.That's why those heads were removed. Forgot to state that

2 Likes

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2018
Well that's how far we had coupled the components back together. Someone stole our seals and the mechanic ran away with some hoses so we couldn't complete it. I am still waiting to test the engine to know if have done well grin. It had really weird sounds since it has gotten out of timing. Hopefully after this, it goes back to normal. Most important lesson learnt so far if you are gonna tinker with the use of service manuals, then get a Mercedes. The WIS is the best I have seen so far. Explain's everything to detail. With the jeep manuals we had a lot of backtracking.

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:43pm On Jul 29, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
Well that's how far we had coupled the components back together. Someone stole our seals and the mechanic ran away with some hoses so we couldn't complete it. I am still waiting to test the engine to know if have done well grin. It had really weird sounds since it has gotten out of timing. Hopefully after this, it goes back to normal. Most important lesson learnt so far if you are gonna tinker with the use of service manuals, then get a Mercedes. The WIS is the best I have seen so far. Explain's everything to detail. With the jeep manuals we had a lot of backtracking.

Bravo!! .... Glad you could put it back together.

expect a lot of noise at startup, it might take a while before it all clears up.

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:46pm On Jul 29, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Bravo!! .... Glad you could put it back together.

expect a lot of noise at startup, it might take a while before it all clears up.

GAZZUZZ una dey try work those Toyota cars without the manuals o. That company is so stingy with their service manuals and you guys do your jobs perfectly.
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:49pm On Jul 29, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

GAZZUZZ una dey try work those Toyota cars without the manuals o. That company is so stingy with their service manuals and you guys do your jobs perfectly.

Beauty with toyota is simplicity in design. Who said we don't use manuals? grin

1 Like

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:51pm On Jul 29, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Beauty with toyota is simplicity in design. Who said we don't use manuals? grin
You can hardly access Toyota manuals like the way you can get with other cars. You need to pay like 30 dollars every 2 days to access. AlldataDIY helps but they don't have all cars unlike Mercedes WIS that has all mercedes cars from 1986 to 2018 or volkswagen elsawin that has information of all volkswagen group cars from 1960 to 2018. Toyota doesn't have the equivalent of WIS or elsawin. They might sha I haven't seen it though.
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by sultaan(m): 8:29pm On Jul 29, 2018
I hope you turned the engine with your hands to make sure your timing is still in place before you put things back together
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:44pm On Jul 29, 2018
sultaan:
I hope you turned the engine with your hands to make sure your timing is still in place before you put things back together
Yes. This procedure is also stated in the manual. Are you a chrysler tech?
Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by LeJeun3: 12:41am On Jul 30, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

At this point you should have been able to start the engine, you don't need the water hoses yet...

Re: Tinkering On A Jeep With Repair Manuals And Very Limited Automobile Experience. by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:41am On Jul 30, 2018
LeJeun3:

At this point you should have been able to start the engine, you don't need the water hoses yet...

Haven't put the injectors yet. Someone stole our seals

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Honda Cars And Their Hand Yanking Off / Surviving Without Car Accident In Lagos: Impossible ? / The Game’s 2016 Bentley Bentayga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.