Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,888 members, 7,828,146 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

My 1hectare (15plots) Project - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My 1hectare (15plots) Project (6183 Views)

How Much Does It Cost To Set Up 1Hectare Of Land Of Cassava And Maize farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by Nobody: 6:32am On Jul 31, 2018
jidestroud:
But on second thought, in think I got a good deal with the price of clearing after running the figures against other farms. Very much within budget allocated for the farm.

Of course the price is not ridiculous. Very ok. The truth is that it may be higher than what the contractor would spend if it was his farm. Also, if you know the workers directly, it will be cheaper. However, this is your first time. Take him to have drink when he finishes and you want to pay his balance. Let him even have nice food. Then after, you shock him by telling him that you gave him the cash because you want to encourage him working for you. Let him understand the benefits of working with you. And then, let him know that you will find someone else if he charges you high next time. But you like his job, and it is why you are appreciating him. You have just fine tuned his brain.

Bro, you are on point.

Keep flying. Blessings!

8 Likes

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by jidestroud(m): 10:58am On Jul 31, 2018
fluentinfor:

Of course the price is not ridiculous. Very ok. The truth is that it may be higher than what the contractor would spend if it was his farm. Also, if you know the workers directly, it will be cheaper. However, this is your first time. Take him to have drink when he finishes and you want to pay his balance. Let him even have nice food. Then after, you shock him by telling him that you gave him the cash because you want to encourage him working for you. Let him understand the benefits of working with you. And then, let him know that you will find someone else if he charges you high next time. But you like his job, and it is why you are appreciating him. You have just fine tuned his brain.

Bro, you are on point.

Keep flying. Blessings!

Thanks.
You have been directly and indirectly a catalyst in my decision making. An article of yours actually imprinted on me and right now, I'm all fired up.

3 Likes

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by Yhemit(m): 4:45pm On Jul 31, 2018
fluentinfor:

Bro, you are on point.

Keep flying. Blessings!

you're doing great Bro.
that's the method my pman used in drawing the workers (farmers) closer to him by giving them Free lunch and also cloths for their children at home.

1 Like

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 31, 2018
Yhemit:

you're doing great Bro.
that's the method my pman used in drawing the workers (farmers) closer to him by giving them Free lunch and also cloths for their children at home.

Thank you bro.

Doing good goes a long way. Even investors who want to make it should learn to appreciate farmers. Honestly, such people will reap beautifully with such attitude. It is not just about "me". Over 99% readers here came to see how they can benefit. What about how can I appreciate you? How can I contribute to your success?

It is not easy to just share experiences freely without expecting in return. OP @jidestroud is a good man. Anyone who partners with him will enjoy him from what I have noticed so far about his threads.

Your "pman" understands the drill. Kool cool

2 Likes

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by MarketGardener(m): 5:22am On Aug 01, 2018
gbengaoa:
Weldone brother. It's a good step. But in your land preparation, the cost is extremely high and this will really affect your profit margin but this can only be brought down if you have a lease agreement for more than 3yrs. I will suggest that you should try and look I to sourcing labor from other farmers within the location of bring in laborers from other location to cut you cost.
As regards going organic for weed control, that will also impact on your production cost and at the moment the Nigerian market is not particular about organic or inorganic produce.
This is my observation and submission from my little time on the field.
So if Nigerian Market It Not Particlar About Organic Or Inorganic Does That Now Mean We Should Remine The Way We Are, Change Start In A Day And There Many Farmer Out There Using Organic Method

1 Like

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by oyetpel(m): 10:55am On Aug 01, 2018
MarketGardener:
So if Nigerian Market It Not Particlar About Organic Or Inorganic Does That Now Mean We Should Remine The Way We Are, Change Start In A Day And There Many Farmer Out There Using Organic Method

You are right. But there are still basic change will need to start instead of experimenting on organic fertilizer.

Do we have the resources to do extensive research on successful use of organic fertilizer? Even the white men that have the resources have relied on inorganic fertilizer, because it increases produce, increase the longetivity of farmland for further use e.t.c heck fertilizer is gotten from crude oil, and crude oil is formed from composition of sea organisms and fossil which are organic.

There are more basics things we need to tackle as i said earlier, like access road. Imagine the op wanted to use tractor but no access road.

We don't have clean water, we inhale dust and so many other things in our polluted environment.

It's better to eat fruits and vegetables using fertilizer than eating Junks.

1 Like

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by olatwo(m): 11:27am On Aug 01, 2018
Job well done bro! God bless your handy work. how can I connect with you please.

A serious intending famer too.. 08028299312 or ola_bello@yahoo.com I stay in ota too
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by excanny: 3:23pm On Aug 01, 2018
oyetpel:

You are right. But there are still basic change will need to start instead of experimenting on organic fertilizer.

Do we have the resources to do extensive research on successful use of organic fertilizer? Even the white men that have the resources have relied on inorganic fertilizer, because it increases produce, increase the longetivity of farmland for further use e.t.c heck fertilizer is gotten from crude oil, and crude oil is formed from composition of sea organisms and fossil which are organic.

There are more basics things we need to tackle as i said earlier, like access road. Imagine the op wanted to use tractor but no access road.

We don't have clean water, we inhale dust and so many other things in our polluted environment.

It's better to eat fruits and vegetables using fertilizer than eating Junks.

Organic fertilizers add micro nutrients beyond NPK to the soil and also balances the soil PH.

While chemical fertilizers adds just macro nutrients in the form of NPK only and I read somewhere(not still sure tho) that the residues harms the soil by offsetting its PH to extremely acidic or alkaline levels.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying don't use inorganic fertilizers.

I'm of the opinion that for pre planning organic is the way to go, while inorganic should be introduced as the plant matures and is fast depleting the initial soil nutrients as I think that inorganic fertilizers are fast acting( I stand to be corrected tho) remedies when a quick action is needed. But the usage should be light while preparing organic for long term remedies.

But in all, as you said inorganic fertilizers aren't that much of a worry.

The main worry in going inorganic should be in terms of pesticides. Should be a no no for our health and that of our animals consuming these poison-laden crops.

1 Like

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by gbengaoa(m): 10:03am On Aug 02, 2018
MarketGardener:

I want to belive that if you are a practical farmer, you should be have a target market. The Nigerian market is not there at organic or inorganic yet. And looking at the cost, you many end up on the deficit side and run out of the farm.
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by excanny: 11:54am On Aug 02, 2018
gbengaoa:

I want to belive that if you are a practical farmer, you should be have a target market. The Nigerian market is not there at organic or inorganic yet. And looking at the cost, you many end up on the deficit side and run out of the farm.

Am I missing something?

So far from what I have gathered being a learner farmer, it seems organic is cheaper.

Look across your street or neighborhood, there's some neem tree growing nearby which you can pluck for free or at most part with N100.

For fertilizers, approach any livestock farmer around you and get some manure for cheap price. The only problem is that you have to be patient for months to compost it.

2 Likes

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by jidestroud(m): 12:52pm On Aug 02, 2018
excanny:

Am I missing something?

So far from what I have gathered being a learner farmer, it seems organic is cheaper.

Look across your street or neighborhood, there's some neem tree growing nearby which you can pluck for free or at most part with N100.

For fertilizers, approach any livestock farmer around you and get some manure for cheap price. The only problem is that you have to be patient for months to compost it.

Lol

But honestly, organic farming does cost more. A typical example is the use of herbicides. Let's use mine as a case study. With as low as N3000 I could get the job done but instead, manual labour is used. This adds to the running cost of setting up the farm.

Also, the use of inorganic fertilizers compared to organic fertilizers are cheaper. Yes! Cheaper and the whole wahala of even getting the organic manures in their quantities to the point of usuage is another headache.

These are a few points.
Well, like @gbangaoa rightly pointed out, how do sell your market to the Nigerian people in Mile 12 telling them your products are organically grown and they should pay more?

1 Like

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by excanny: 1:10pm On Aug 02, 2018
jidestroud:

Lol

But honestly, organic farming does cost more. A typical example is the use of herbicides. Let's use mine as a case study. With as low as N3000 I could get the job done but instead, manual labour is used. This adds to the running cost of setting up the farm.

Also, the use of inorganic fertilizers compared to organic fertilizers are cheaper. Yes! Cheaper and the whole wahala of even getting the organic manures in their quantities to the point of usuage is another headache.

These are a few points.
Well, like @gbangaoa rightly pointed out, how do sell your market to the Nigerian people in Mile 12 telling them your products are organically grown and they should pay more?

Well, for now you shouldn't expect any more payment at Mile 12 cos presumably you are dealing with an ignorant bunch. Your best bet would be to convince them to prefer and buy more of your products because they are safer and chemical free.

The painful thing is that we have an irresponsible govt who don't care if all their citizens die off while eating poison.

In responsible govts, you can't sell agricultural produce to the public if they are tested and discovered to have high level of toxicity and are carcinogenic, and therefore unfit for human consumption.

But everything goes here sadly. I am scared of even buying cucumbers these days cos it seems most farmers have vowed to use brutal, systemic pesticides in order to succeed in cucumber farming.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by jidestroud(m): 2:58pm On Aug 02, 2018
excanny:

Well, for now you shouldn't expect any more payment at Mile 12 cos presumably you are dealing with an ignorant bunch. Your best bet would be to convince them to prefer and buy more of your products because they are safer and chemical free.

The painful thing is that we have an irresponsible govt who don't care if all their citizens die off while eating poison.

In responsible govts, you can't sell agricultural produce to the public if they are tested and discovered to have high level of toxicity and are carcinogenic, and therefore unfit for human consumption.

But everything goes here sadly. I am scared of even buying cucumbers these days cos it seems most farmers have vowed to use brutal, systemic pesticides in order to succeed in cucumber farming.

True, anything and everything goes for now. I can only imagine the various chemicals being used on our farms and even if the farmers apply these chemicals according to the manufacturers directions. An example was I initially tried using Laraforce, the seller told me to apply enough until the water turned completely milky in a 5gallon container. I was like what? Is that the measurement. I had to take the bottle and read the directions myself. Imagine!!!

3 Likes

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by gbengaoa(m): 5:52pm On Aug 04, 2018
excanny:

Am I missing something?

If you want to do all that, how about your weed control? I am talking about a large scale farming here, are there way through which you can do that also?
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by fakati(m): 7:59pm On Aug 04, 2018
Nice one op with God on your side success is yours.
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by jidestroud(m): 9:40pm On Aug 04, 2018
fakati:
Nice one op with God on your side success is yours.

Thanks.
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by excanny: 10:17pm On Aug 04, 2018
gbengaoa:

If you want to do all that, how about your weed control? I am talking about a large scale farming here, are there way through which you can do that also?

I believe just a few crops have selective herbicides.

So every type of farmer will have to battle weeds, whether a pro-organic farmer or not.
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by informed(m): 2:37am On Aug 05, 2018
Kudos bro, nice job you are doing here!

However, I think your costs of labour on this farm will be so high that your project might not be sustainable in the long run. Now, before you tag me a hater let me quickly tell you this. I know this terrain where you have your farms very well as I own several projects running into hundreds of acres within this area - ADO/ ODO OTA Local Government Area of Ogun State. I own a project in Igbesa and another in 100 acres close to the ALAPOTI area of the same terrain.

We used them for farms but had to run away because it was a wrong location for a farm operation especially the IGBESA area which is not far from ITEKUN where you have your farm. These areas especially IGBESA are no longer agrarian communities as the villages have embraced the Lagos Lifestyle and are so lazy to do any agricultural job.

They will rather work in factories for peanuts or cross over to Lagos to hustle and not forgetting that the proliferation of real estate development companies in this areas makes it a norm for the average farmer to sell his family lands for the millions he will never make from farming to these companies and feel alright.

The story is the same all over places like Okoafo, ILOGBO and environs. You'll hardly get cheap labour or competent labour to work on your farms from these communities as they given up farming to embrace other hustles and the white collar jobs. If you really want to make it in farming and be sustainable, you'll have to kill the notion of being as close as possible to Lagos and go further inwards Ogun State where you'll find Government designated agrarian areas and cheap labour and expertise you need to run your farm.

It doesn't pay to have your farms in isolation and away from Farming hubs like Owode, Isiun, Odeda, Illaro, Yewa North and several other renown towns in Ogun State where big farming projects are still on because your farm will be better off for it. We lost over N2.5M in farming to learn the lessons I am sharing with you here trying to set up a 25 Acre Cassava project in IGBESA.

Did you plough your land with any tractor? What are your plans for irrigation if the rain water fails to be consistent? Some of these difficulties you experience with clearing wont be an issue within those farming hubs. Even ADO ODO village is a great place to start though I doubt you can get lands easily there today.

Based on our experience, I fear your cost of operations and ease of getting access to competent hands to work with you on your project can derail your entire efforts if you don't watch it closely or set up in the right location

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by jidestroud(m): 8:24am On Aug 08, 2018
informed:
Kudos bro, nice job you are doing here!

However, I think your costs of labour on this farm will be so high that your project might not be sustainable in the long run. Now, before you tag me a hater let me quickly tell you this. I know this terrain where you have your farms very well as I own several projects running into hundreds of acres within this area - ADO/ ODO OTA Local Government Area of Ogun State. I own a project in Igbesa and another in 100 acres close to the ALAPOTI area of the same terrain.

We used them for farms but had to run away because it was a wrong location for a farm operation especially the IGBESA area which is not far from ITEKUN where you have your farm. These areas especially IGBESA are no longer agrarian communities as the villages have embraced the Lagos Lifestyle and are so lazy to do any agricultural job.

They will rather work in factories for peanuts or cross over to Lagos to hustle and not forgetting that the proliferation of real estate development companies in this areas makes it a norm for the average farmer to sell his family lands for the millions he will never make from farming to these companies and feel alright.

The story is the same all over places like Okoafo, ILOGBO and environs. You'll hardly get cheap labour or competent labour to work on your farms from these communities as they given up farming to embrace other hustles and the white collar jobs. If you really want to make it in farming and be sustainable, you'll have to kill the notion of being as close as possible to Lagos and go further inwards Ogun State where you'll find Government designated agrarian areas and cheap labour and expertise you need to run your farm.

It doesn't pay to have your farms in isolation and away from Farming hubs like Owode, Isiun, Odeda, Illaro, Yewa North and several other renown towns in Ogun State where big farming projects are still on because your farm will be better off for it. We lost over N2.5M in farming to learn the lessons I am sharing with you here trying to set up a 25 Acre Cassava project in IGBESA.

Did you plough your land with any tractor? What are your plans for irrigation if the rain water fails to be consistent? Some of these difficulties you experience with clearing wont be an issue within those farming hubs. Even ADO ODO village is a great place to start though I doubt you can get lands easily there today.

Based on our experience, I fear your cost of operations and ease of getting access to competent hands to work with you on your project can derail your entire efforts if you don't watch it closely or set up in the right location

Good assessment of the location and in fact, you clearly nailed it. I weighed out my options and thus the reason for going into the present farming options (cassava / maize only) for now. Though I still think the expended money for the project so far is still within range obtainable in all those other locations mentioned after carrying out feasibility studies.
Nevertheless, I intend employing modern practices to combat and reduce manual labour interference with my capital on further projects. It may be expensive, but sure will worth it in the long run.
Thanks once again for the insightful notes. I hope to run into you soonest.

2 Likes

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by PrincewithGod(m): 11:20am On Aug 09, 2018
Good one bro, I wish you all the best. But even if you don't break even now don't quit, continue and God will surely bless your effort.
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by jidestroud(m): 1:21pm On Aug 09, 2018
PrincewithGod:
Good one bro, I wish you all the best. But even if you don't break even now don't quit, continue and God will surely bless your effort.

Thanks.
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by AmadeusCho: 12:32pm On Aug 11, 2018
I have always loved the way your brain is pregnant with idea. I was following your old thread on the vegetable farming. I started my own backyard ugwu farming because of you.
Now I am experimenting with zobo and garden egg. Bless you bruh because of you we never buy ugwu in 3 month grin

That’s the picture of the zobo and garden egg

6 Likes

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by AmadeusCho: 12:33pm On Aug 11, 2018
AmadeusCho:
I have always loved the way your brain is pregnant with idea. I was following your old thread on the vegetable farming. I started my own backyard ugwu farming because of you.
Now I am experimenting with zobo and garden egg. Bless you bruh because of you we never buy ugwu in 3 month grin

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by jidestroud(m): 1:35pm On Aug 11, 2018
AmadeusCho:

Cool.. thanks for the positive feedback.
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by jidestroud(m): 1:35pm On Aug 11, 2018
[quote author=AmadeusCho post=70183335][/quote]

Splendid
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by Kehfie(f): 6:49pm On Nov 14, 2018
@Jidestroud, thank you so much for your detailed and very helpful posts. I followed your vegetable farming thread with very keen interest several months ago and was inspired to make a container/sack garden with ugu, waterleaf, bitterleaf, other African veggies, cucumber, tomatoes, different herbs and even yams. Success was varied..... But I am glad and better for the experience. My gardening is organic and I'm having challenges of leaf miner for some of my African leafy vegetables and, my ugu leaves curled, and had some sort of insect infestation behind the leaves and stunted growth. Some eventually died off. Please have you any idea how I can arrest these problems? Keep up the good work!!!
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by jidestroud(m): 7:16pm On Nov 15, 2018
Kehfie:
@Jidestroud, thank you so much for your detailed and very helpful posts. I followed your vegetable farming thread with very keen interest several months ago and was inspired to make a container/sack garden with ugu, waterleaf, bitterleaf, other African veggies, cucumber, tomatoes, different herbs and even yams. Success was varied..... But I am glad and better for the experience. My gardening is organic and I'm having challenges of leaf miner for some of my African leafy vegetables and, my ugu leaves curled, and had some sort of insect infestation behind the leaves and stunted growth. Some eventually died off. Please have you any idea how I can arrest these problems? Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks for the positive feed back.

On the leaf miners, I had to deal with them a few times when my tomato plants became infested. I purchased neem oil off the shelf and believe me, it did the work. Though, it was wasn't immediate, but it will get the job done. Same goes for your fluted pumpkin ( though I am a bit skeptical about your ugu in sacks doing well because of the rooting nature).

Hoping to get feedback on the vegetable thread. (Pictures too) grin

1 Like

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by okoroemeka(m): 10:03pm On Nov 17, 2018
Kehfie:
treat soil with workforce to finish nematode before u plant and if leaf miner come bazooka it with acephate or acetaforce.

1 Like

Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by okoroemeka(m): 10:14pm On Nov 17, 2018
op jidestroud,pls sorry to pull u back but there is an old post u did to show that you planted cabbage during the dry season and harvested it,we are planning on embarking on a similar project,but the question is will it bolt?pls how do you manage the crops?what variety did you use?we have a choice of Gloria f1(technisem) and nazuka f1(east west)which do you advice or is there a third dimension?.pls I will like your advice on the matter because it said that he who cooks first has more old pots.
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by Kehfie(f): 2:01pm On Nov 22, 2018
@ Jidestroud, thanks bunch. Will upload pics ASAP.. @Okoroemeka thanks. Are these recommendations organic?
Re: My 1hectare (15plots) Project by MoreTech(m): 9:04pm On Dec 25, 2018
@Jidestroud , can I av Ur WhatsApp contact?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Disburses ₦6.25 Billion To Rice Millers / Tanzanian Firm Plans $50m Fruit Juice Factory In Benue / UPDATED Price List For Organic/cosmetics Products - Gabdeland Agro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.