Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Another Look At Pay TV Cost - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Another Look At Pay TV Cost (24099 Views)

Pay Tv Nigeria: All You Need To Know Pipul Pay Tv / Pay TV WAR About To Start / Would TSTV Change The Game In The Nigerian Pay TV World? Its ICT Convergence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Blue3k2: 6:50am On Jul 29, 2018
Raheem Akingbolu writes on the debate that trails the current increase in the prices of various Pay TV services in Nigeria, making a comparison between what is obtainable in the market and global terrain

The last one and a half weeks have seen a return of subscriber anger directed at MultiChoice Nigeria, the Pay TV firm, which recently announced new prices for its services. MultiChoice communicated to its customers adjustment to prices on its DStv platform directly by text messages, which stated that they would take effect from August 1. The company increased prices in 2013, 2015 and 2017.

When the prices kick in, the DStv Premium package will attract N15, 800 as against the current rate of N14, 700. DStv Compact Plus customers, said the company, will pay N10, 650 instead of N9, 900, while Compact subscribers, who currently pay N6, 500, will start paying N6, 800. Prices on its DStv Family and Access packages have been raised to N4, 000 and N2, 000 respectively as opposed to N3, 800 and N1, 900 that are currently being paid.

On GOtv, its Direct-to-Home (DTH) platform, the company announced a price reduction, trimming the price paid for the GOtv MAX package from N3, 800 to N3, 200. This, however, did not calm frayed nerves, as DStv is the focal point. Disaffected, subscribers quickly exhumed the age-old allegation of monopoly against MultiChoice and hanging on to it as the reason it raises prices.

They urged the government to intervene a save them from perceived exploitation by the company.

For most, MultiChoice had no reason to review its prices upward, a belief arising from the assumption that Nigerians pay more for its services than citizens of other countries in which it operates. Some others, especially on the social media platforms, claimed that pay TV rates in Nigeria are the highest in the world.

Findings, however, have shown that MultiChoice increased prices in all the countries it operates. According to findings, the recently announced price regime will see DStv Premium subscribers in Ghana paying Cedis 365 (27, 360.75) and those on Compact plus Cedis 245 (N18, 365.44). Compact subscribers in the country are to start paying Cedis 149 (N11, 169.18), while those on the Family package (the lowest available in the country) will pay Cedis 85 (N6, 961.60).

In South Africa, whose subscribers are believed to be heavily pampered by MultiChoice, the new DStv Premium rate is R809 (N21, 728.47.

Compact Plus will cost R509 (N13, 670), with Compact costing R385 (N10, 340.49). Prices for the Family and Access packages have been fixed at R249 (N6, 687.75) and R99 (N2, 656.98) respectively.

Rates in other countries, especially in Europe and the Americas, also show that claims that Nigerians pay higher or are victims of exploitation are inaccurate.

In the United Kingdom, Sky TV, the country’s leading pay TV operator, charges £79.95 (N38, 167.33) for its premium package and £47.50 (N22, 572.97) for the one below it. Next to that is the package, which attracts £40 (N19, 008.82) monthly. Sky TV’s three other packages cost £30 (N14, 256.61), £25 (N11, 731.54) and £20 (N9, 504.41) respectively.

Sky TV’s rates in Mexico, where it offers four packages, are within the same range. Its premium package costs MXN 1039 (N19, 798.52). The package just below it attracts MXN 829 (N15, 796. 52), while the last two packages cost MXN 649 (N12, 366.93) and MXN 569 (N10, 842.50) respectively.

Australia’s Foxtel also charges similar rates monthly.

The cost of its entry level package is Australian dollars or AUD 26 (N6, 961.60). The one above that costs AUD 46 (N12, 316. 67). Just above that is a package that costs AUD 55 (N14, 726. 45). The provider’s premium bouquet attracts AUD 75 Australian.

US operator, Direct TV, charges $35 (N12, 635) for its lowest package, Select. Its slightly higher package, Entertainment, costs $40 (N14, 440), while the one above that, Choice, goes for $45 (N16, 245). Its Xtra package attracts $55 (N19, 855). Direct TV’s biggest packages, cost $110 (N38, 710) and $60 (N21, 660) respectively.

Investigations show that globally, pay TV price increases draw impassioned subscriber debates, with the prevalent view being that operators are remorselessly exploitative. In most parts of the world, operators increase prices yearly, further inflaming subscriber anger.

According to its most recent report, the US Federal Communications Commission’s Media Bureau said Pay TV providers are adding the extra fees to cover their rising costs so they can continue to promote relatively attractive prices.

The industry’s ecosystem, findings show, is one that leaves operators at the mercy of content producers/TV networks, with the latter regularly charging more for programming content on which the former depends for viability. For years, Pay TV operators worldwide have battled, unsuccessfully, with hikes in programming costs, which erode their margins. Content owners have also continued to state that the rise in the fees operators pay to broadcast their content is largely a product of the jump in their own costs of producing such content.

In particular, the cost of sporting content, a hot Pay TV property, has continued to climb and very steeply, too. Broadcasters have continued to fork out more money to retain rights to content of sports leagues such as the English Premier League, LaLiga, Bundesliga, Serie A and NBA), which fall into the category of must-have programming.

With the lion’s share of out-of-the-world salaries paid to sports stars coming from television revenue, for example, owners of sporting contents, a dealing with rising costs of their own and transferring such to pay TV companies, which have no option than to transfer a slice of such to their subscribers.

According to some analysts’ estimates, these costs have climbed between eight and 10 per cent in each of the past four years.

In certain cases, analysts also said, the rise in pay TV subscription rates are also informed, to a lesser extent, though by better consumer experience, through frequent additions of new features and functions to services.

According to consumerreports.org, most US Pay TV operators hiked their prices in 2018, with some introducing hidden fees.

“The cable companies we contacted said the price hikes are mainly driven by the rising costs they face for carrying traditional broadcast networks, such as CBS and Fox, and regional sports channels,” wrote the site.

Source: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/07/29/another-look-at-pay-tv-cost/amp/

2 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Eggcelent(m): 7:03am On Jul 29, 2018
Good Read. Thanks For The Enlightenment

I Wish Indigenous Nigerian Pay TV Can Have A Share Of The Huge Market For Good Of The Country

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by HotMario: 8:26am On Jul 29, 2018
Can you compare power availability in these countries ?
Here you buy fuel to even watch tv

95 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Mikeross62: 3:59pm On Jul 29, 2018
ok
the exploitation by these pay tv company is too much

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by soberdrunk(m): 3:59pm On Jul 29, 2018
I stopped reading when he started comparing what we pay with countries that have "24 hours light", the problem is not with the company but the subscribers, it is because most Nigerians will continue to patronize them even if they increase the price by 100%. If at least 15-25% of subscribers refuse to pay for 3-5months they will be forced to bring down the price...... angry

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by seunlayi(m): 3:59pm On Jul 29, 2018
Fta for life grin

Any programme I can't get on fta should go to hell. How many eyes or head I get sef? How many programs will I watch at a time? I beggi, make PTv park for corner jor

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by walexinoo(m): 3:59pm On Jul 29, 2018
ok
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by beethoven: 4:00pm On Jul 29, 2018
I pay over $200/month for tv and internet bundled together. I don’t think there should be any noise about the increase. It costs fairly the same amount of money to operate a tv provider service anywhere in the world (with the exception of salary differences). These guys do not make as much profit as we all perceive, because they pay a lot of licensing and content fees to content owners.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 29, 2018
HotMario:
Thank you

7 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by slimthugchimee2(m): 4:00pm On Jul 29, 2018
HotMario:

Did you even read, it is way cheaper here than other places

6 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Wiseandtrue(f): 4:00pm On Jul 29, 2018
Multichoice reasons are not genuine enough!

Nigerians have always complained of these prices since inception!

Anyways I blame TSTV if not I no for dey here dey answer this greedy multichoice now undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by BruncleZuma: 4:00pm On Jul 29, 2018
grin
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by PatrickOkunima(m): 4:01pm On Jul 29, 2018
Thanks for sharing.
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by notoriousbabe: 4:01pm On Jul 29, 2018
Na only mumu still dey pay to wash DSTV, I have been washing all their channels free since 2011, thanks to Engineer Austin

22 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by calddon(m): 4:02pm On Jul 29, 2018
So @op they paid you to write this elongated analysis in the hope to calm nerves ba?

Its not you or MultiChoice i blame, its TSTV and whomever has refused another payTV company from thriving in these paths.

Since i started enjoying good 4g bandwidth, my DSTV box has turned to a piece of uneeded house furniture.

I cant come and pay for what Nepa wont let me enjoy, introduce pay as you watch ha si mba undecided

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by emeijeh(m): 4:02pm On Jul 29, 2018
So Op, what's your point?

We are saying the 500 naira added to compact bouquet is too much, and you are here writing trash?

And I thought I came here to read PAY AS YOU WATCH.

Nonsense

15 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by puresaint(m): 4:03pm On Jul 29, 2018
I will say my mind when you compare and contrast the power (light) in those country with Nigeria.
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by EzendiEgo1: 4:03pm On Jul 29, 2018
Ok
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by domack99(m): 4:03pm On Jul 29, 2018
How much is the minimum wage in these countries in question

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by InvertedHammer: 4:03pm On Jul 29, 2018
/
Best solution: Stop watching TV.

/

4 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by twilliamx(m): 4:03pm On Jul 29, 2018
We have more subscribers than the counties mentioned put together.
It's still a monopoly. We need like 5 more proper cable stations to tackle dstv.

5 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by TroubleMaker47(m): 4:04pm On Jul 29, 2018
HotMario:
Whose fault? There's or your government? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by xynerise: 4:05pm On Jul 29, 2018
These are countries with stable power supply as opposed to Nigeria poor power supply.

Pay as you use should be the only solution

6 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by edicied: 4:05pm On Jul 29, 2018
Netflix and chill grin

8 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by AntiWailer: 4:05pm On Jul 29, 2018
Their business.
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by airsaylongcon: 4:05pm On Jul 29, 2018
slimthugchimee2:

Did you even read, it is way cheaper here than other places

Did they talk about the bundled data that comes with those packages especially in the UK and SA?

16 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by emmyid(m): 4:06pm On Jul 29, 2018
notoriousbabe:
Na only mumu still dey pay to wash DSTV, I have been washing all their channels free since 2011, thanks to Engineer Austin

How?
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Desdola(m): 4:07pm On Jul 29, 2018
Nice info
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Optimistdude: 4:08pm On Jul 29, 2018
notoriousbabe:

Guy yarn us the way

7 Likes

Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by itiswellandwell: 4:08pm On Jul 29, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Another Look At Pay TV Cost by Trustme2(m): 4:08pm On Jul 29, 2018
notoriousbabe:

Pls can you link me with him. I need to engage him as soon as possible. The pre-season and premiership will soon start

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alex Evicted From The Big Brother All Stars House / Kayowa Kayode Liberty Dupes Victims N1.6m (Photo, Video) / Second Chance: Soap Opera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.